Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I learned tonight that a server I'm casually friends with quit a bar I casually visit quit since I last visited.

I mean, we weren't close, short of talking briefly when she was working and I decided to visit, but talking with her every once in a while was fun. I suppose I had a superficial crush on her (short, mousy, fair skin and dark hair with glasses, liked the modern tentpole movies but liked borrowing my more esoteric stuff), but it sucks to know that a stupidly small bit of happiness in your life is done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It's been two days since I drank and had spicier Mexican food, and my stomach still feels scorched.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I woke up to a depressing dream that was basically a remake of an earlier depressing dream that I've occasionally had, and it's put me in a foul mood.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Skyrim decided to not-quite-crash in a way that took away my mouse cursor (:confused:) and I force reset my computer in frustration after trying and failing for five minutes to just close everything, which would've been easier had Windows understood that typing in Task Manager should load Task Manager.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

taiyoko posted:

Control-alt-escape opens the task manager directly, might be helpful next time. :science:

See, I did not know that. I prolly wouldn't have gotten so frustrated had I known that.

Unrelated minor thing that hasn't made me day lovely, but it did bum me out:

The other day I was thinking about some pre-youtube (at least, I think it was pre-youtube) video series I remember liking. It was an animated short bunch of videos about a zombie that can think, was protecting an innocent child, and I think there was an Egyptian mummy involved. It took a lot more time than I expected to find it, but I did: it was called XOMBIE, and I was expecting to find that at some point they did more.

Nope, they didn't. Back in 2012 they tried to do a kickstarter to make a second season, but it made seven grand out of the 99,000 they wanted, and that's the final post on their website about it. It sucks because I remember being kinda attached to the series, and to find that nothing happened is kinda :smith:.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
More like a small thing whose realization is bugging me:

I'm realizing that a podcast I've kept on my following list is increasingly not for me. FrightDay generally covers newer/indie horror (the stuff you'd find on Netflix, among others), which was a refreshing change of pace from horror podcasts that fellate 80s horror movies.

The hosts would shoot the poo poo for a while, then one would cover a specific conspiracy theory, and then they'd discuss the movie in the title of the episode. However, I feel like the balance has shifted. The conspiracy segment seems to dominate the episodes now, and the movie-review segment feels truncated. Less talk about the movie, and more simple synopsis-and-rating.

I should just delete the podcast, but man, it's been on my list for ages, and I don't want to. :smith:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I gave a decent chunk of stuff to do today, but I'm dealing with a just-strong-enough hangover headache that I don't want to get out of bed.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I have a day off, but forgot to disable all my alarms. So I woke up at 830 and didn't have to.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My favorite radio show (and likely my favorite media program in general), Boers and Bernstein, officially ended today with Terry Boers's upcoming retirement.

Dan Bernstein will be continuing in the time slot with someone else, but seeing the two together today (their final show happened to be a remote day), closing out the show's iconic segment, really made it hit home that the show was actually ended. I got misty over it, a damned radio show, that I've listened to nearly every day for some percentage of a decade.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My Blu Ray drive on my computer is isn't playing a brand new BR. So far:

- It just freezes up during the piracy warning on my main player.

- It immediately goes to the special features on my secondary player (that I have to have because the first one sometimes shits the bed), which reports that the disc doesn't have a menu (which I know is a lie)

- If I manually load one of the chapters in that second player (they are all movie-sized), I've run into one that stops after a while with a you-burned-this warning, one that skips a chunk of the film.

I've restarted the computer, so maybe that'll fix it (it has before), but man, I just wanted to watch a drat movie.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Woke up, felt super refreshed for some reason...and an hour into work I got super nauseous, threw up in the work bathroom, and now I'm tired at home.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My neck hurts. Base of the skull, where head becomes neck, left side.

As with all stupid pains I get, I'm 90% sure it's made worse by all the "man, what is up with my neck?" movements I've been doing.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
- I have a mild hangover. Not debilitating, just a tender stomach that won't stop reminding me that it's tender.

- I went to the store to pick up a windbreaker/spring coat, but couldn't find anything that I felt would be Just Right in terms of not either doing gently caress-all or being too warm.

- There's a bunch of stuff on clearance (70-90% off), but the vast majority of it was either stuff I wouldn't wear, too small (S), or too big (XL+).

- I'm tired, mostly because of the first one.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I just found out that the grocery store less than five minutes away from my apartment is closing. It's not lovely in terms of "gently caress, now I'm in a food desert" or anything, and they went from 24/7 to 12hours lately that made it a bit shittier, but man.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Yesterday, I found out that my dad has cancer. Very low level, so right now it's a wait-and-see thing, but it's still loving cancer.

Today, I lost my phone. Pretty sure it's stolen because a) ADM can't find it and b) I tried calling it and it went straight to voicemail. I'm trying to be hopeful that since I lost it near a theater it was found by someone watching a movie (which would explain the silence), but gently caress, what are the odds of that. The worst thing is, I was literally using it a minute or two before I lost it. How the gently caress did I lose something so quickly?

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 01:02 on Mar 25, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My partner bought me something that doesn't work. I didn't really want it in the first place, but she was happy to get it for me (unannounced) and I was warming up to it. Plus, since it's one of those Kickstarted-by-a-small-company things, I get this vibe that the return process is going to be annoying. As in, the email chain I had with the support staff was prompt until I said I just wanted a refund.

Also, the muscles in my back have decided to go on strike, because I'm finding I'm slumping over a bit (which will inevitably cause my back to hurt for the next few days).

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 02:46 on Apr 15, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
For the past two weeks or so, I've been house-sitting my dad's house (the house I grew up in) while he was away. In practice, it meant that me and my partner could move in for two weeks and do all the stuff my dad is OCD over. He got home tonight while me and my partner were out having dinner.

The result? Like most things that involve my dad when he's not over my shoulder telling me how he wants it done, he decides to ignore all the stuff he told me to do that I did fine, focusing on the few things here and there that I didn't do His Way, or didn't do because (surprise, surprise), he wasn't around to ask questions about.

It hurts more because it's all super low-importance poo poo. He bitched at me about leaving plates and utensils in the sink, when its because I started a full load earlier. He complained that I didn't call his handyman friend to look at the sump pump that was operating a shade louder than I remember, even after telling him that I checked it constantly to see if something had gone wrong (spoiler alert: nope). He complained about the pile of plastic bags I left on the corner of the kitchen, when said bags were mostly the stuff I bought to replace all the food we had eaten, even though he had told us previously he didn't mind if we didn't.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

An old friend got diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and most probably will die within six months

Christ, that sucks, man.

For content, my brother told me and my partner that he was coming over for 4th of July dinner. Communication wires were crossed, and it was actually him and a few of his board-game playing buddies coming over. So instead of a short dinner and maybe hanging out for a bit, it was playing some overly-complex and overly-long board game I didn't understand, with people I didn't know, while trying to watch something I had wanted to watch. To make matters worse, I've had a pain in my eye all day because something major got stuck in my eye early in the morning, so I've been dealing with the residual pain due to God-knows-what on my eye all day.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Bit of a cross-post from the FWP thread, but whatever, it made for a lovely weekend+:

I got sick with something on thursday night. I guess the best diagnosis would be flu-like symptoms: body aches, headaches, lack of appetite, general malaise, close-to-but-not-really a fever (99.5f), signs of dehydration despite hydrating the poo poo out of myself, alternating sense of burning heat or chills. So I had to take off work on Friday, spending most of the day asleep. Same with today, with most of my symptoms going away. But hey, it's the weekend, and it'll all be cleared up by Sun/Mon, right?

Sure, except for the fact that starting from my hairline down (in rapid downward progression), I'm getting these little red dots (a rash, I suppose) all over my face. So now I'm gonna have to basically stay inside for another day, and maybe call off on Monday if it still happens. Or see a doctor and have him roll his eyes and say that it's nothing.

Editing to add: went to an emergency clinic since it's Sunday, dude looked at my increasingly rapid facial rash for a bit, wrote copious notes, and suggested taking Claritin and saying it should go away in a few days. I'm not confident simply because it seemed he had the same what-the-hell-is-this look on his face that I did trying to Google something that looked like what I have.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 23:47 on Aug 6, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Witnessed an accident between two folks on a motorcycle (trying to gun it through a stale-yellow light) and a car (which didn't have to slow down coming to the intersection, since it was a fresh green). Bike hits car, folks went rear end-over-teakettle over the car, landed, and didn't get up. By sheer coincidence one of the randoms near where I was was a doctor and got to work on them, I did the 911-calling (because what else am I going to loving do). Doc guy confided in me later that he's pretty sure one of them (the woman) didn't make it. At best, I am barely dealing with this right now. There was a lot of blood.

Wear your helmets, people.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This borders on a FWP, but I just remembered that the hosts of The Katering Show are doing another show, and all day at work I was looking forward to binging what they have. Turns out, you can't watch the show outside of Australia, even if you sideload the app on a tablet or something.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 06:00 on Oct 3, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My day started mildly lovely, just because it's cold, raining and grey enough outside that it felt like even being indoors with the lights on felt somehow off-color. That was at work; now at home I feel like poo poo with such a random mishmash of symptoms, because I didn't get much sleep last night and ugh.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My plan for the night was to have some pizza and Red Bull (the latter of which I don't indulge in very often), watch Lurdiak's Scream Stream, go to bed late, and wake up late tomorrow.

Well, my dad's flight out today got cancelled, so he asked me to pick him up and drive him home, causing me to miss the first chunk of the stream. He got a new flight tomorrow morning that he asked me to drive him to, early enough that I'll have to skip the second major chunk of the stream just to get some sleep. Said sleep will be a bit harder to attain because of the caffeine in the once-in-a-blue-moon time I allow myself to indulge in some caffeinated sugar-water.

Oh, and I'm tired right now, which would be great to get to sleep... except I'll just wake up in four hours or so, wide awake. ugh.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I drank like two days ago, and my stomach is still scorched enough from it that I'm not feeling hungry for anything. So since I know that I need to, I'm eating, but it's like I'm eating after I already feel full.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've had a lazy/not-feeling-up-for-anything day, but I bought a game on Steam that really seemed interesting. Figured it'd cheer me up. And hey, it was fun!

For like an hour, and then all its flaws cropped up, and I refunded it. It seemed super fun initially :(

late edit since I'm the last post: every time I need to restart my computer, something else pops up. Had to restart my computer as part of fixing an issue, and now Stardew Valley gives a Visual C# Command Line Compilter Has Stopped Working error, and my research into fixing that hasn't worked.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 06:11 on Nov 14, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I bought the Black Mesa game (the one that's a remake of Half-Life) on a whim yesterday due to a sale. A day later, they put out an update saying the Xen part, the one part I hadn't played, won't be out by December.

Like, I didn't even know it was gonna be out in December, and I'm not waiting on pins and needles to play it, but literally one day. Gah.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think electronics I own are specifically designed to only work when I'm at a sufficient annoyance level. My fitbit wouldn't sync up with my app, wouldn't do so on the computer due to an error (even after installing an update, getting the error, uninstalling and reinstalling the software), and just as I'm getting really pissed off, I find that the drat thing synced a second earlier.

I. just. want. things. to. work.

late edit: I lost about an hour of progress in a game (and a very helpful mobility upgrade) because I accidentally sequence broke a little bit. I figured it was auto-saving throughout. It was not.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 07:56 on Nov 27, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Debated posting this in FWP, but it's more of a complaint:

This dude next to me at the bar just gave me a three minute screed about why I shouldn't ask someone you don't know (aka him) to watch their phone (like, mine) for a second because it's incredibly rude and he was just about to leave and why I couldn't just put my phone in my pocket instead of :words: :words: :words:

Man, I thought I lost my car keys, was in a "I just lost my loving keys" mode, and needed to walk two feet to see if they were on a table I was at. You're under the eyes of a bartender, and the phone was plugged in underneath their side of the bar.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Slime posted:

if it's plugged in on the other side of the bar under the eyes of the bartender why did you ask the guy to watch your phone

Force of habit and mildly panicking over potentially losing my keys.

I wasn't looking for a personal commitment from the guy, just an eyeball for a drat moment. Especially since the guy spent more time there than I ultimately did.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I had to cancel my Star Wars tickets for tonight due to some GI issues that haven't decided to clear up.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

I think you have me confused with someone else, I haven't had a hot dog in years.

The problem is the entire other end. One of the downsides to having a parent that had ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease: even if you're lucky enough to not get it, you're still likely to have bad mojo from time to time, regardless. :(

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think it's official; I just can't drink alcohol anymore. No matter how much water I drink inbetween, no matter how big a meal I have beforehand, I get a crippling headache long before any sort of buzz hits me.

Like, drinking isn't a huge part of my life, but it's still kinda annoying.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Bought two games with christmas gift cards (Astroneer and SPAZ2), both sucked, and I'm not sure if the latter's refund is going to go through because I think I'm over playtime-wise.

My threshold for annoyances in video games is getting really low.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 21:13 on Dec 28, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Elfgames posted:

no save states huh?

Oh please, like I'd even consider pulling the trigger on a game where you can't save and load at any point (or, at the very least, know where the save data is located so I can revert back).

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The last two days I've had to drive in some seriously terrifying snowy weather, and I think my body decided to full-body clench over it.

So today, I am achy all over.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I had a dream that felt very familiar and :3:, like an old friend I haven't seen in years. Then I woke up more, and realized it wasn't some ancient memorable dream from long ago returned, but literally parts of the last three games I've played with the serial numbers filed off.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 16:01 on Jan 3, 2018

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I was playing a game on my tablet, and was 9/10ths of the way to getting something I wanted. But I forgot to load the game for a day to finish it off, so now I'm 9/10ths of the way to getting something I have no need of.

Like, I know this is more FWPish, but dammit, it bummed the poo poo out of me.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 08:35 on Jan 28, 2018

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It started snowing here just as I was getting out of work, so the drive home was the standard fun nothing-plowed-nothing-salted nightmare. It's loving terrifying to have to go up a wouldn't-even-show-up-on-a-topographic-map hill with your pedal to the floor and just barely inching up it as your car's hey-you-have-no-traction warning beats out of samba.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My partner's minor stomach bug blew up today, basically, so looks like my valentine's day activities will consist of warming up her soup and playing video games with the sound off so I don't wake her up.

I like V Day. :(

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 02:09 on Feb 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I found out that a few of my not-super-close-but-kept-in-touch friends are gun freaks who find even banning poo poo like AR-15s to be a step too far.