Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I got new work shoes yesterday as my old ones are falling apart. However, I didn't know until today that the shop doesn't actually glue the insoles down properly (in case the customer needs to change them for medical reasons) so on their maiden voyage the insoles got all unstuck from the shoe and stuck to themsleves. All the cobblers that could fix it are closed, so I'll have to wait until next weekend to get them fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Less "day" but I'm facing redundancy at work by the end of the month and the job search for a replacement isn't going too well right now. Luckily I'll be gettingh a massive reduncancy pay due to being voluntary (one of many who opted for it, the company is collapsing like a neutron star) and I can get enough government assistance if needed to pay the bills, so the 7-8000 will be free to pay for groceries and whatever fares are needed for travel until something finally comes through. It's just a really stressful period of my life.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Sorry about your financially abusive dad. Hang in there, sounds like things will get easier eventually. Hopefully when the raise comes through you'll be in a position to sever.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just washed out of a warehouse job after a second day. Saturday went OK, moving somewhat heavy boxes but got it done, but by today I was still sore as hell, so only made it 2 hours moving slightly lighter boxes before my arms started screaming in pain. Guess I know my limits, never been one for physical work, now I know I physically cannot do it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I thought the agency had found me a semi-permanent or at least lasting job, but this morning after 1 week because of budget issues they are dropping all temp staff. So frustrating.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

A minor one but because I was away for a few days I turned the heating off in my apartment to save energy. I came back last night and turned it back on but it's taking it's time to radiate so a lot of the apartment is still pretty chilly.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've always had a joke on the opposite wavelength - everyone in a hospital or care home is looking at everyone else and going "Well at least I'm not that guy..." Also I hate when people assume you are making something out of nothing when they never saw the initial something. I had to take a few weeks off work while a really bad graze healed as I couldn't get trousers on without it rubbing the raw spot. I had a doctor confirm that I needed the few weeks off and had a note to that effect. Eventually I could walk on it properly while it was uncovered (ie dressing teh wound but wearing short trousers) so I had the ruined trousers cut into shorts to give me some work-appropriate shorts to wear. My colleagues got all doubty about it, being all "Was it really that bad?" and I was just like "gently caress you, it's still sensitive and this is THREE WEEKS later so piss off, you should have seen it three weeks ago. Also when it was fresh one side of my face had swollen to double the size of the other side.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 18:21 on Dec 4, 2019

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

You'll always have us Ballistic Clipboard. :)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

winterwerefox posted:

I had my 25 year old truck broken into for the 4th time. nothing stolen, just junk tossed about inside. like the previous 3 times. :smith:

Just put up a sign on the back saying "This truck has been broken into 4 times before you. Do you really think there's anything good left?"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

My morning got spoiled by an injured bird today - it startled me by flapping against my shoe, I hadn't even noticed it was there. That was hours ago, it clearly has a spinal injury because it's legs aren't doing anything and I can't gauge the severity of it, and the RSPCA won't open for another 40 minutes (the vet can't do anything unless I capture the bird, but I don't want to exacerbate the injury and turn a possible broken vertebrae into an actual spinal cord breakage - the former may be treatable, the latter definitely won't be). All I can do is check it's still ok in 40 minutes and call the RSPCA to get it picked up, even if it has to be put down it's better than letting whatever hit it finish it off (there's no blood, just a kind of dent in it's feathers so it's likely a blunt strike that did it).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I got very lucky with my prior cats - no suffering (that I was there for), just sudden deaths, one from a liver infection while I was away, and one more recently who just kind of collapsed in the kitchen and due to the timing we couldn't call a vet til the next morning and by then she'd died. We never found out exactly what happened with the second one, obviously something important just failed.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Celeste is missing from my steam library, it's not even in the folder. I have no idea what happened to it, I bought it a while ago and beat it, but no evidence is on my computer at all. I did a fix involving clearing the cache, but it's still not there. If I want to play it again it looks like I'd have to rebuy it. Unless I can find the reciept in the email and contact support.

The receipt corrected me - it was in the epic store. I totally forgot I'd used that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Reminded me of when I had a bad cold last year - I felt a chill so made the mistake of putting on my dressing gown, only to realise a few hours later that the shaking was because I was OVERheating, not cold, and so I just gradually fell down in a really slow faint for a few seconds before I could stand up enough to get my dressing gown off.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

The reasoning behind my wrecked day is a really long story that has to do with events in the past that I've never told anyone about that culminated in the worst panic attacks I've ever had in my life happening a few months ago, but it all goes back years and is just compounded and complex trauma. Today I saw something that was extremely tragic but also brought back all those other painful memories and I can hardly handle how traumatized I feel. I wish I could shut my emotions off with a switch. I won't be sleeping tonight, but I will dissociate enough that maybe it will feel like rest. Unless I get dizzy and nauseous again like earlier this afternoon. That just makes you more tired.

I still don't even have the courage to openly say what any of it is. It's just all really loving bad and too hard to really talk about.

I'm sorry about.... everything there. That sounds like it sucks. I hope you have someone in your life that you CAN talk about this sort of stuff with, like a therapist.

Sounds like your life was no picnic, princess.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The hemorrhoid is back :saddumb:

Well that's not a very nice thing to say about UglyInTheMorning. :P

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

One of my managers is no longer a manager as of this week due to a movement to another job and another has gone on holiday for a week, so we have half the managers and today was SO busy. We got totally backed up and so many things I asked for just never got done.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've finally got out of an annoying issue at work where I'd got into grief for not showing enough empathy, finally got good ratings on that but at the same time at the weekend I made a bigger mistaek that might get me into bigger trouble unless my supervisors are willing to be lenient (because it's not something I get pulled up on often)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've got a different type of frustrating situation relating to work that I'm currently in the middle of. I very nearly have a new less awful job than my current one, I've passed all the interviews, and got a verbal offer and an email confirming that offer. Now I'm waiting for a different team to contact me so that I can go through the final stages of the process and get a start date so that I can finally put in my notice (which because of how long this process is taking will have to be 2 weeks now). It's just taking a VERY LONG time to hear back, like a week between emails so far. I just hope I hear back from the other team before this week is over. I WANT TO PUT IN MY NOTICE Goddamnit...

Specifically my current job is helping people track missing orders, which sucks because couriers are all garbage who keep losing poo poo and it's just not a fun time. Also the customers get very whiny about the companies admittedly crap service and assume I can do ANYTHING about it, sometimes trying to use emotional blackmail. The new job would be with the Environmental Agency, so more people reporting fly tipping and helping people apply for fishing licenses and poo poo, which is WAY less stressful.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:09 on Nov 16, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm sorry to hear that, I hope it clears up soon.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I swear there was a goon here who used an ultra pro card binder(for holding baseball/magic cards in 3x3 sleeve pages) and would put the cash he'd spend on cigarettes in a sleeve every time he resisted going to buy a pack or carton. by the time he considered himself totally free of their pull, he'd amassed something like eight grand in there.

but yeah, also just consider how much longer you'll likely live to enjoy time with your son in his lifetime if you stop smoking/chewing/whatevering tobacco products.

I've had a similar transformation financially simply by having a far better job with actual benefits and a workable union. The work is less terrible so I'm stress eating far less (and having more energy for the gym and piano practice), and I'm getting more money in per month on top of that, and I've also rearranged my finances. Before I was breaking even at my prior job as I spent all my extra money on comfort eating which was not helping the stress, and I only had a relatively small amount in my savings account so was barely getting any interest. Now I've been consistently having more money each month than I had the prior month, initially by large chunks as my final pay at my last job overlapped with my first pay at my new one and now it seems to have stabilised at about 200 more each month than I had before (going by the total amount in both accounts) and I've transferred the majority of my money into the savings account (leaving at least a months pay in the main account for safety) and so it's actually getting real interest. It went from 18p every few months because I barely transferred anything, to £6.59 interest accrued last month and this month's interest was £7.36. I might actually end up getting double-digit interest for the first time in my life by the end of the year.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Biplane posted:

Savings... account? :confused:
:(

I know right?, I'm finally earning enough to use one.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

While I was at work today I made the mistake of trying to engage with some GC people in a chat about gender stuff and after one post got dogpiled by people taking things deliberately the wrong way. Luckily someone who'd had experience with that particular group got in contact with me and warned me off engaging further because they had a reputation for that sort of thing and even going to other more trans-friendly chat rooms and using bad-faith arguments until threads got locked, so I just blocked all notifications from the chat and started to ignore it. It was otherwise a good day, that was just an annoying mark on it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've had a really annoying week because the phones at work stopped working properly and started dropping calls all over the place, which meant greatly inflated queues as people were calling three times in a row to try to get their queries answered.

We've been hoping for a fix soon which still hasn't come, but it's been happening the whole week and it makes it way more stressful than it should be. Didn't help that it temporarily got worse on Wednesday as the headsets also broke so we had to take calls through our work mobiles.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I climbed into bed and not a minute later a cricket inside the wall has decided now is the time to sing me the song of its people

It's trying to give you a lullaby :3:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Biplane posted:

I didn't have eggs. I thought I did, but I don't!:argh:

U.F.N.10.E.X? :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-mX9T2qyIQ for context

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I don't normally get contacts from the landlord unless something needs doing, so I had similar anxiety a few months ago and it turns out my rent went up. If I hadn't looked it would have been a problem (I didn't mind as my rent hasn't changed since I moved in 8 years ago, so a single bump is not something I'll begrudge her)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

My boiler has started leaking and the plumber said he'd be here today to fix it but he never turned up. Hopefully they'll come tomorrow. It's only a mild leak.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It's just been one of those weeks where every day is a new stressor. First I come down with a mild cold so that just makes it annoying, then yesterday I get a text from my landlady that she want to come look around, don't know why but that just means that I'll have to spend most of my free time cleaning the apartment, THEN today I had a review on my calls at work, mostly positive but again it is a stressor, and tomorrow I have my final annual review with my manager. Then friday afternoon through Saturday it'll have to be a cleaning blitz to get the apartment presentable but at least I set the time for 3pm on Sunday so I have plenty of time, it's just been one thing after another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

mystes posted:

She didn't say why she wants to look around? That's pretty weird.

She just said she wanted to check the flat, but I haven't got the energy to press any further.