Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I just got word that despite the schools I work at being happy and eager to have me on for another year, The Board of Education has decided not to renew my contract. This is a blow to both my ego and my sense of self worth.

I have a meeting at the Elementary School on Monday to further clarify. So that should be fun.

This is combined with the fact that I have been battling the combined forces of loneliness, depression, and ennui over the past few weeks.

So, now my plan is to head home to Australia for my brothers wedding, (tickets already bought and time off already granted), from April 5-12, come back to Korea to teach for 2 weeks and then head home again on the 27th when my contract finishes. To live with my parents, as an unemployed 39 year old, and go through the exhausting process of getting my papers in order and applying for work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

This is why yesterday, (and tomorrow and Sunday) were lovely, but I am putting it here.

Sat. 29th is teh AFL Grand Final. A very important day for Australians, and even moreso for Australian expats like myself. I currently live in a tiny bumfuck town in rural China. Next week is National week holiday, so I managed to book a train to Shanghai, leaving Friday night after work to go up to a big city where I can watch the game, stay a few days and then head back home. Due to the way public holidays work in China, there was a possibility that the 29th and 30th would be "make up" days where we go to work to make up for the days lost to the public holiday. Over the last 3 weeks I have asked repeatedly whether or not I would be required to work on the 29th, to which the response was always "I dunno, but you should be right". So I go ahead and book my trip in hope.

Then yesterday, (Thursday), they tell me that I have to work both Sat. and Sun. So not only have they stolen teh Grand Final from me, due to it being China and all, I am unlikely to be able to buy train tickets out of here for Monday at such short notice. So they have stolen my chance to get out of this shithole town and enjoy the days I do have off. Of course if they had told me any of this a week or so ago, it would be annoying, but no real problem as I could have bought tickets etc. for the right dates. Instead they throw it at me last minute so I am hosed.

Luckily enough the hotel is fully refundable, so I am not out too much cash, but I am still pissed off.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

This is a really petty first world whinge, and I know I have it good otherwise, and that it's not the end of the world etc. so I apologize in advance, but it has made me feel lovely this last week.

I quit my old job in January, because I hated it, the city and country I lived in, and the people I worked for. I moved back to Australia to stay with my parents, and started to look for other jobs in the same industry, (ESL teaching), hopefully back to a country I have worked in before and was really happy in. Given my job requires international visas, I spent the last month or so collecting all the required documents and getting the various official stamps that need to be on them. I want tpo move out of my parents house as soon as loving possible. So I had my heart set on a job starting in April-May. I sent out resumes etc. and got initial replies back saying that if they were interested in me they would call for an interview etc. So currently I have been waiting for more than 2 weeks with no call backs.

This makes me feel lovely because I know I "should" be a good candidate for these jobs, (I have multiple years experience, I have qualifications, I am at least competent at what I do), so why don't they want to hire me? This leads to my arsehole brain coming up with many excuses and reasons why I am poo poo and will never work again and am stuck here. Which feels bad.

I know in the real world, this isn't a major problem, and I should just lower my sights/standards, and maybe look for jobs starting at the beginning of the Aug/Sep semester, or in easier countries to find work in. So this is what I will end up doing. And that as much as it is pissing me off right now, I am lucky to have parents that are prepared to have me sleep in their guest room for multiple months. But still, it has been making me feel lovely these past weeks,

Sorry again about the pettiness of my whinge, and how entitled it makes me sound.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

This is a petty whinge.

Back in Sept. I accepted a job to start working in Japan at the start of the 2021 School year in March. Now, due to the extension of the State of Emergency in Tokyo etc. Yesterday they told me that I won't be able to arrive until at least mid April. And that is if all goes well and smoothly, with COVID settling itself down.

The whinge I have is that this means I have to spend at least an extra month and a half, (in addition to the more than 8 months I have already endured), as an unemployed middle aged man living in his parents spare bedroom.

I apologize again for the pettiness of my whinge.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

So, after hearing the good news that my mum had her last radio-therapy session for oesophageal cancer today.

We get the news that my brother's mother-in-law, who lives interstate, has had a fall and has been hospitalized and is severely anemic and dehydrated because she hasn't been looking after herself since her husband died a year ago, (she looked a bit frail at Christmas but apparently it has gotten worse.) And when in hospital, they did some scans and found out she has lung cancer.

So my brother and his wife are driving 8 hours interstate to pick her up from the country hospital she is now in, to bring her back down to their place so she can get cancer treatment here in a bigger city. (And possibly/probably get put into an old persons home.)

This sucks for so many reasons. My niece who recently had to deal with the death of one of her grand parents from cancer, now has two other grandparents diagnosed with cancer so soon. Also my sister in law doesn't have the best of relationships with her mother, and her brother lives in a different state entirely and is such an arsehole to be less than no help. So she now has to deal with the stress of getting her stubborn, but frail and unable to take care of herself, mother into a home/hospital with no help from her siblings. With all the paperwork and hassle that that entails.

None of it's fun.