Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

They closed GBS. :(

Tiberius Thyben has a new favorite as of 15:24 on Sep 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Thin Privilege posted:

But where am I going to read about people being gay? :(

Seriously though there were some good threads there like OSHA, China, and Eastern Europe threads. Fingers crossed they'll move here, I want to see more dudes drinking Baltika while squatting in full adidas gear in front of a depressing dilapidated building.

I'm here for you.

I am gay.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Thin Privilege posted:

Thank you. I appreciate your openness.

I had to search for e/n and it's under byob and I don't understand byob, and how is it different from fyad? These forum changes are confusing and upsetting.

BYOB is sort of like the opposite of FYAD. We're a chill forum for good people to chat, relax, joke and have fun. It's really a nice place to post, and we have a program for helping GBS refugees get started.

I think e/n still follows the old rules, though.

If you do want to get started in BYOB, here's a few good threads to begin with.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765007
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3791322
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3791043

Tiberius Thyben has a new favorite as of 04:18 on Sep 24, 2016

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

I am writing a paper on a dead priest, and managed to find three books that are at all useful on telling me about him, and got them from the uni library. I got the books a week and change ago, and was supposed to have them for a month. Two got recalled, and now I need to get them back in three days. I managed to find another copy of one of them, but I need the other, so I am just going to keep it until I am done. But I gotta eat a 2 dollar late charge a day, 20 dollars altogether, and it pisses me off.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

TwystNeko posted:

So last week I attempted to get some financial support for looking after my sister - the Alberta govt. has a caregiver's stipend available. Except since I'm her brother, I'm not eligible. It's only parent/child relationships that they cover. They called me back 20 minutes after the meeting to tell me not to bother with the paperwork as I wasn't eligible, and by the way, here's a list of temp agencies, good luck! Pretty much the most polite "get hosed" I've ever received.
Being a white male means no support from the govt, and it sucks rear end.

I mean, situation sucks, but lol at that last bit.

"I was not eligible for a program based on my relationship to someone, and I probably should have been. drat non-whites and women must have it so easy!"

Tiberius Thyben has a new favorite as of 01:41 on Nov 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

TwystNeko posted:

Actually, I've had some serious discussions about it - there is honestly a lack of programs and support for men - in this city at least. I guess it sounds sexist and racist or whatever, but it wasn't really meant that way. My bad, it was a lovely way to put it. There is far more support for women and minorities, in social programs and funding. I've never thought that funding for those groups should be removed, but I do think there needs to be more for men in distress.

As for the parental relationship - I'm certain I'm not the only brother who looks after a sibling, and it's a shortcoming of the legislation that they follow. I do 90% of what a caregiver would - I don't bathe her, dress her, or spoon-feed her - so why am I not eligible for the same funding someone supporting their mother is? It's incredibly frustrating. I do all the cooking, cleaning, driving, pay all the bills, get her to the ER when she has a serious episode, and so forth.

Alright, yeah, I can work with that. The weird ingrained idea that men should be able to handle everything is definitely a problem, and it sounds like you really deserve the support and got hosed by the way things are set up. There should also be more support across the board and in general, because that poo poo is always underfunded even in the best cases, but that's a digression. Used to that sort of language being some rear end in a top hat whining about how white men are the worst off in society, and everyone else being freeloaders, and such.

Also, sounds like you are doing a good thing. You're a good guy, taking care of her. Sorry for jumping down your throat.