Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

InediblePenguin posted:

i have a lot of problems and all of them boil down to the fact that i'm a big stupid idiot who's just so god drat dumb

I stabbed myself in the eye with my toothbrush, this morning. Fortunately, it was the numbing toothpaste for sensitive teeth, so I still don't know if I hurt myself or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
I had covid-19 in April, didn't need hospitalization or anything.

I have covid-19 again, began Sept 29th. It is so mild that I barely can tell I'm sick, but I still have to quarantine for two weeks. Hopefully, it will not last 25 days, like the last time.

Bah, humbug!

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
I am on my second go-round of COVID-19, and it is definitely getting worse since Day 14. It's Day 16. At least I don't have the ton of fatigue, this time. Last time, it lasted 25 days. This time, it's paperwork season and my health insurance has to be recertified by the end of the month, and I can't go to the copy shop. (I am going to owe my very good friend a whopper of a Christmas present for all the help she's been this year.)

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
I HAVE SOLVED THE MYSTERY OF COVID-FARTS and I wish to publicize it so others can enjoy fartless COVID-19!!!!

Short version: It induces temporary lactose-intolerance, which results in flatulence/diarrhea/cramps/bloating.

Treatment: Switch to lactose-free milk while sick with COVID-19. You can go back to real milk once you are well.

Long version, so you can skip this if you don't care: I'm on my second round of COVID-19. First round, in April, lasted 25 days, and I had covid-farts for about 20 of it. This round started Sept 29, so I'm on Day 20. The very good friend who does my grocery shopping when I'm sick was talking about going on a trip, so I asked for Fairlife milk instead of real milk, cuz its use-by date is farther away, plus it's high protein so if I got too sick to cook, I could just have a big glass of milk-based beverage to wash down my zillion pills I take every day, and call it supper. Also, their chocolate milk isn't too bad for no-sugar-added and has the same amount of sugar as non-choco, real milk.

Fairlife is also lactose-free. Instead of huge amounts of loud, stinky farts, I had one or two medium-loud, moderately-stinky farts per day. Then, this Friday, I switched back to real milk, and several hours later developed full covid-farts! TA-DA!!!! Somehow, covid-19 induces thank-god-it's-temporary lactose intolerance.

Now, I just have to convince a few doctors and scientitians to recommend this approach to enough covid-fart sufferers to turn it into a real study, and my Nobel Prize For Medicine is in the bag!

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

Astrofig posted:

HOLY gently caress

I honestly thought Ihad cancer or some poo poo,or like, ulcers the pain and bloating got so bad. I'm gonna start testing this.

Hope it helps!

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
I have had no sound on my laptop for a month or so. There was a software update that killed my sound. Updating drivers was supposed to fix it, but did not. (Updated them twice, now.) Friend suggested USB sound card, it arrived and I tried it this morning with my external speakers. . . and it did not fix it. Still no sound! Bah, humbug.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Life is being extremely petty to me: One single button on my watch decided not to work any more, so my watch is now stuck permanently in Daylight Saving Time. New watch will arrive about the 5th, because OF COURSE my local Walmart no longer has a jewelry counter where I used to be able to buy cheap Casio digital watches.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Spent half an hour of phone-minutes straightening out a pharmacy problem that everyone blames on everyone else. Never did figure out who the Rx pink-eye drops were meant for, but at least it was just a paperwork goof and not a scam or drug-seeker.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

Accidentially stepped on my cats paw and it was bad enough we had to go the vet. Seems fine now at least, and gets painkiller just in case.

I sprained something in my neck and it hurts like hell too.... Also on painkillers but I need something stronger...

Muscle relaxant like Flexeril might help more than extra painkillers.

-------------------
For myself:
Good: Scheduled my first COVID-19 vaccine shot for yesterday, Friday, so I'd have all weekend in case of side effects/symptoms, such as. . .
Bad: COVID FARTS! I forgot to go dairy-free, so, naturally, it gave me the lactose-intolerance symptom. And a mildly sore throat, but I don't need the windows open for that. At least I don't have pink eye, this time.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
I realized as I opened my duck that I had forgotten to buy an apple and 2 plums to stuff inside. Good thing I'm dining alone!

On the plus side, my plum sauce came out pretty great.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
In today's episode of Stupid Things Done By A Preschool, we find that someone donated a tiny bicycle with a 'horn' that is a squeaker toy! Kids love squeaker toys!

Still not as bad as the time they taught them how to make monkey noises.

(Weekends and evenings are great, naturally, as I merely have a nice view of a great playground instead of the side of another building, and the kiddies are at home.)

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Latest software update (I guess) killed off my cursor/pointer thingy. Last year, an update killed off my sound. I "fixed" the sound by getting a USB sound card. I am using a plug-&-play mouse with my laptop, which at least gives me a cursor/pointer arrow. . . but I'm going to have to grit my teeth and buy a new computer.

First world problems, I know, which is why I'm just dropping a grumpy comment here.

This comp: HP something or other, not over 5 yrs old.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Friday: Covid vaccine booster shots okayed by FDA.

Sunday: Go to the website and make an appt to get my covid booster, set for Friday.

Monday: Wake up with covid.

So, yeah, vaccine-induced antibodies lasted (for me) exactly as long as my previous being-sick-induced antibodies. This is my third round of covid, but, without the vaccine, it would be my fourth. I guess my crappy immune system needs a booster . . . every 4.5 months, so it has time to kick in before the last round wears off at 5.5 months. :( I am perfectly willing to get a shot every single week, if it will keep me from being locked in, again and again and again.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Day 63 of my third bout of covid. How long do I have to stay sick to win a prize?

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

Biplane posted:

Just six more days, hang in there buddy

Okay, now it's only five.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Quarantine Day 90. :coronatoot:

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Covid Round Four! Yay! Or something. I need to learn more swear words, now.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I have a sinus infection and it sucks, a lot. I spent a large chunk of time curled up on the floor of my shower, hoping it would do something for the sinus pressure, as nothing else was working (it helped, a bit).

[advertiser voice] You can get Vicks Bath Salts, Equate eucalyptus "shower spray", and a related bath-bomb-for-shower at your local Walmart to enhance your steam treatment and see if that helps.
[/advertiser voice]

In other news, I finally figured out what my elusive, new food allergy is! Canola oil.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

And I think I might have something in my eye. Either that or the start of pinkeye. I don't get how I could have pinkeye when I have been washing and sanitizing my hands nonstop the past few years.

Covid gives me pinkeye. Just a little something to keep you catastrophizing properly. Oh, and after my third bout, I now have 2 veins in each eye that are permanently big & red, so I can't use my eyeballs to tell when the next round of covid is over.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Flu, or covid round 5? Is testing still free, or will I never know?

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
I have confirmed that I am now allergic to watermelon. Is that even legal? How can I be an American and be allergic to watermelon????

Small blister type reaction, thank goodness.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Woke up from having acid reflux while asleep and inhaling stomach acid

extremely not fun

:( :hf: :(

I usually wake up at the choking part, but I've inhaled a time or two.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Fridge died,* landlord took two days to get me a new one, so I get to replace a batch of groceries. . . while wearing the shoes that I just noticed both have holes in the heels. I have extra-wide feet, so I have to special order them, so no sale prices. And I still haven't even started doing Xmas cards.

*Thank goodness for my chest freezer, even if it does mean I don't have roof for a table to eat off of.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Laptop decided to play dead. Was fine when I left to run errands, but when I came home, all I get is a black screen and no response. I'm using my old one that overheats all the time while I try to find out how to fix it. Something updated and killed it, maybe?

Hope it's fixable, cuz I spent all my money getting new eyeglasses (line-free bifocals are EXPENSIVE), and can't afford either a new laptop or a professional fixer. :(

ETA: If manufacturers are going to make "remove the battery and put it back in" the way to fix a computer, they should make it easy to get to and easy to remove, rather than 5 HIDDEN screws, 2 visible screws, and then 4 more tiny screws once you pry the cover off with a plastic thingy while it makes cracking noises. And the person who did the upgrades before I bought it used that nifty blue tape on the screws, so I needed pliers to turn the screwdriver the first full turn on each tiny screw.

So it damned-well better stay fixed for at least two years, now, is what I'm saying.

GoodyTwoShoes has a new favorite as of 21:22 on Jan 29, 2023

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
It is actually illegal to be given a second dose of the bivalent covid vaccine, as I learned after filling out all the forms, making an appointment, and waiting in line at the pharmacy.

Oh, and my friend/driver is mad at me because I told her the Power of Positive Thinking does absolutely squat against germs. How dare I suggest I should prepare for when I catch covid again! Surely, having it four times already means I'm proof against a fifth bout.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
I'm trying to make a sugar-free/dairy-free chocolate-orange drink to satisfy my menopause-pill-induced cravings. Cocoa powder is hydrophobic. The stuff for baking, I mean.

On the other hand, Dutch-processed cocoa powder really is better-tasting than whatever the other process is called. Even as floating chunks.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Not only did my rhubarb beer bread turn out bad (sour?), but the rhubarb destroyed the nonstick coating on my loaf pan. Anywhere the rhubarb touched, the coating came off when I washed it.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

Marcade posted:

I wager you rue(barb) doing that!

:downsrim:

:rowdytrout:

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Attempting to make a blueberry pound cake, first time ever. Between using still-frozen blueberries and adding water for high-altitude, I got it too moist and have to try extending the cooking time a few minutes at a time.

And just realized I'd turned the oven off, which is why it is taking so long. If I can keep the top from burning too much, the remainder of the cake will taste yummy, according to the batter I scraped off the knife after testing.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
My neighbor is holding a revival in his apartment, complete with guest singers cheering each other as they are introduced. I think they are doing testimonials, right now.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
The Iceland volcano that starts with F is erupting, and all the camera feeds are facing the wrong direction so all I get to see is smoke, until someone can get up there and move the cameras (and their solar panels/batteries).

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

how often do you wash your sheets

'pedes will also come inside when it rains. I'm on the second floor, and I get crawly-bugs after rain, sometimes.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Acid reflux in my sleep, waking up coughing and sputtering as it got in my windpipe. The absolute worst

:(:respek::(

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
In a moment of true gracefulness, I sliced my finger open with the lead of my mechanical pencil. Call it 4mm long, 1mm deep. The rest of the day has been going well, despite my friend ranting about her sister-in-law. Sunny, breezy, 70F, got errands run in a shorter time than usual.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

DrBouvenstein posted:

:ssh: There is no difference.

This should be in large type with a few exclamation points after it, or at least it should be quoted a million times.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
I am not the only one to figure out how to take eclipse pics with a cellphone and eclipse-glasses. :( All my great ideas are already taken, even if I did come up with them independently.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

There's the problem. If you want a filling salad, you pretty much have to make it yourself so you can add every veggie under the sun, and salad bars give you what, carrots/cucumbers/broccoli if you're lucky? :(

Figure a balanced meal to be largely veggies, with a bit of meat and a bit of potato, rather than the old version of Big Meat, Big Potato, token amount of veggies. My doctor recommended only one type of carb per meal, so if you have a baked potato, you wouldn't have bread as well. Also, be prepared for how tiny the "recommended serving size" from a dietician is, compared to a restaurant or a hungry person.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Found a Chick Tract on my doorknob, this morning. It was just "Soul Sisters," not one of the famous ones. Neighboring doors got "Fame" and "It's a Deal." Label on the back says it's from the local Southern Baptist church. Yuck.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Surprise new food allergy. Now, I get to wait 4 days (3 on extra allergy meds) to start testing which part of my sandwich I'm allergic to. In the meantime, mouth blisters and facial swelling every time a pill wears off.

Ingredients, for the curious: bread, cashew butter, jam (raspberry/rhubarb, so two tests there).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

bawk posted:

I'm going with wildcard: food item processed at the same place as cashew butter, not cashews

It's the rhubarb. <looks sadly at the bag of rhubarb in freezer that was going to be for Xmas dessert> At least it's a food I only ate once or twice a year, right? :(