Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
I think my internet provider has decided the best way to "slow down" our usage during peak times is. . . 60 seconds of connection, then 60 seconds of no connection, alternating forever. Nice and fast during that 60 seconds of connection, then get to stare at the little "page loading" graphics for just long enough that I want to strangle the idiot who came up with this instead of just giving me a slower connection for a few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
My doctor just prescribed an oxygen machine for me, but only at night. It arrives Monday.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Here's a real minor one: My only nephew was named Carter, but changed it upon reaching adulthood (I almost cheered when I learned that). Several years later, my new greatgrandnephew (via a different sibling) just got named. . . Karter. It's a good thing I can't throw things via internet.

I know I'm from a whole family of bad names, but do you have to make it worse? I hope K-boy changes it as soon as he hits 18 yrs old.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

credburn posted:

What's wrong with Carter?

No surname should be used as a first name, especially ones derived from jobs. Will the next generation name their kids Waiter and Cashier?

I also deplore patronymics used as first names. Jackson means "son of Jack" so if you/your husband are not named Jack (which is only a nickname for John, at that), you are proclaiming that your son wasn't sired by you/your husband.

Yes, I have opinions on names. Yes, my parents gave their children horrible/misspelled names. No, I can't tell you what mine used to be, because it's too searchable. Everyone except my parents like my new name, though.