Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Just learned that a longtime friend's husband died of a heart attack a week ago. Horrible for her; they have a kid, he was only maybe forty? Also, I've known more people to die this year than all my entire life combined and then doubled and doubled again and gently caress maybe doubled again. My grandmother has had to attend so many funerals, this last one we went to was such a casual event, it was funny how we were all like, oh hey, good to see you again since the last time I saw you last weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I work at a 7-11 and today it's just my boss and me, because we run a barebones operation. Our registers went down today. We could process no cards and I also could not get into the till. So my boss is like, keep selling! Don't stop! The roads must roll! And so for a while we did this thing where we could only sell if the customers had exact change, which means trying to figure out what all seventeen different fuckin candy bars cost, precisely, writing it all down, collecting the exact amount of change, all while the line grows bonkers long. After a while boss is like, okay you have enough cash now you can give out change. So that's fuckin fantastic. I have a huge pile of cash in front of me, a line that snakes through five aisles, and a very angry lady who demands she pays for her 2.49 soda with a hundred fuckin dollar bill, screaming kids making a mess with their goddamn slurpies, all the while my boss is on the phone with a helpdesk, pausing to tell me I need to tell the teenagers to leave their bags by the door, which presently cannot close because there are too many customers because holy poo poo this is madness.

This ultimately resulted in today being a really fuckin rad day though, in retrospect. There came a point where I was so stressed out that I was just sweating and starting to just hear white noise, and then all at once it just occurred to me how fuckin absurd this is, and how actually it's kind of funny, and there should be no expectations of me in this situation because anyone in this situation would be overwhelmed. Suddenly it was just a huge clusterfuck all 100 of us were enduring together, though most the customers seemed to find I was at fault for all this, and there wasn't time to explain the situation. Ah well. The registers went back up eventually.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I work at a convenience store.

So today this guy walks in and says,

:zombie: HEY MAN HOW MUCH FOR YOUR SLURPEES MAN

and so I tell him how much.

:zombie: Can you alter the price?

:colbert: No. You can buy a smaller cup, though? Like, there are different sizes.

:zombie: gently caress YOU

and so he leaves. But then he comes back a few minutes later.

:zombie: I'M STEALING A SLURPEE

:colbert: What? You can't -- hey, you can't just tell me you're going to steal from here.

:zombie: What are you going to do about it?

:colbert: I... well, I mean...

And I wondered: what could I do about it? I suppose I was within justification to call the police but it sure felt bad to ruin this guy's day, night, maybe further consequences over a slurpee. I don't know what he's got going on, it's probably a lot. He might be homeless, I don't know. But suppose he's just being an rear end in a top hat. What could I do besides call the cops? I'm not going to attack him and I don't think my employer expects me to.

As he's walking toward the door, I say

:colbert: Hey, buddy, listen -- hey listen, man if you walk out of here without paying for that, you're not going to be allowed back in.

:zombie: HERE'S YOUR loving MONEY!

He flings about nine coins at me, mostly nickels and pennies. They ricochet off everything -- he threw them hard, but somehow I wasn't harmed. None of them hit me at all. It was like that scene in Pulp Fiction.

:zombie: QUIT BEING A BITCH!

After he left I found he had dumped slurpee poo poo all over the counter, the floor, the sidewalk outside. The slurpee cost maybe 1.49. He threw about .65 cents at me. I feel kind of bad for the guy, but also, Jesus loving Christ, dude.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I want to talk about this customer from work, who was so incredibly difficult and obnoxious that I could not tell if this was performance art, or if there was a hidden camera or something.

I work at a 7-11 in a part of town that has a lot of drug use, lots of unhoused come around and hang out, and lots of people who are not all that mentally healthy. So I'm used to dealing with people who are in very different mental states than I, and sometimes these are difficult interactions by largely it's all fine unless someone gets aggressive.

This guy, who I guess I'll just call Guy, he comes in, he's probably in his 20s. I don't want to presume who is and who is not unhoused, but Guy doesn't smell bad, his clothes aren't very dirty. He had come in earlier in the day to drop off an application for work, and right after submitting it, he started asking random customers in the store for money so he could buy beer. It was weird. It took him a long time, but finally enough people gave him pocket change and he could buy a Four Loko or whatever.

So toward the end of the night, Guy comes back in. This is during one of the busiest parts of the day -- there's a line of about five people, and people come in at such a rate that by the time I've helped three customers, two more have come in. Guy appears in line and has a couple items. I ring him up, and just before he pays for it, he asks about the pizza. I tell him the cost of pizzas per slice, he asks if we sell whole pizzas, and I say we do. At this moment he's already punched a bunch of things on the transaction pad, and basically as he's asking about pizza, the current transaction concludes. I hand him the receipt and ask if he also wants pizza.

"Yeah, I'll do that," he says.

"You want a whole pizza or a slice?" I ask.

"Yeah, I'll do that."

"Do what?"

"Pizza."

"Okay, you want a whole pizza or a slice?"

"What's the difference?"

"One is a whole pizza and the other is a slice of pizza."

"Yeah, let me do that."

"Okay. Do you want a slice?"

"Yeah, man! Whatever! Just get me a pizza!"

"Okay... okay, but look, do you want a slice, or an entire pizza?"

He gives me a confused expression -- the kind of expression that articulates he being confused as to why I'm not getting it.

"Look man," he says. "Just do what you got to do."

I start to try go over the slice-vs-not-slice puzzle again, but he interrupts me and says "Are we done?!"

There's like eight people behind him and they're getting impatient. So I say, "Sure, we're done."

Guy leaves the counter and goes around toward the back, I presume to talk to my boss about the application he submitted earlier. I return to ringing customers up and completing transactions. After four or five customers, my boss appears next to me, and says, "Do you want me to cook this pizza?"

"What pizza?" I ask.

"This guy says he bought a pizza."

"He didn't."

"He says you sold him a pepperoni pizza."

"I didn't." By now there are more people entering the store than there are leaving it. I don't have time to go over all this with my boss, I just want to get rid of these customers. So I shout way over to Guy, "Hey, buddy! I gotta sell you this pizza before we can cook it for you!"

"It's okay," he says. "You already sold it to me."

"I didn't sell it to you. You gotta come over here and pay for it."

Guy gets back in line, and I work through more and more customers. When Guy is at the register again, I don't notice this but my boss has already started cooking the pizza, assuming this will be a quick interaction. But it's not a quick interaction, goddamit.

In order for me to sell a whole pizza, I need to know first how the customer is going to pay for it. If they pay with food stamps, I have to ring it up a certain way or there are issues. So I ask how he's paying for this.

"With this," he says, holding up a food stamp card.

"Okay, food stamps," I say and hit the button.

"I'm not paying for this with food stamps."

"No?"

"No."

"Just a regular card?"

He doesn't answer. He's holding on to his food stamp card, poised over the machine like it's a Whack-a-Mole.

"Are you paying for this with food stamps?" I ask again.

He continues to stare at the terminal.

"Buddy," I say. "If you're going to pay for it with that --"

"What's the problem?" he asks lazily as if he had not heard anything I had been saying.

"I need to know if --"

He shoves his food stamp card in the machine. The machine beeps because it's not expecting anything.

"Okay, you're paying with food stamps," I say.

"Are we done?"

"No, hold on."

"I put my card in."

"I know. Take it out."

"Are we done?"

"No. Take your card out."

"I am just trying to pay for my pizza."

"Take your card out of the machine."

"I'm just trying to pay for it."

I stop talking, and just look at him, and I wait. Finally, he slowly takes the card out.

"Okay," I say, and alter the transaction so I can sell it with food stamps. "Now, put your card in."

He does. The machine beeps and says he only has twelve cents on his food stamps.

"Are we done?" he says. "I'm really hungry."

"No," I say. "Your food --" but now he's walking away. "Hey! Buddy! Your card doesn't have enough money on it."

He comes back. I tell him again, not enough money on the card. Can he pay with another card? He fishes through his wallet and finds another.

I change the order back to a pizza paid for by not-food stamps. I boop and beep the screen until it's ready for a card.

"Okay, run your card now," I say. He tries to run the food stamp card. "Not that card."

"Why not?"

"There's not enough money on it."

"Well, there was."

"There wasn't."

"You must have sold me the pizza."

"I didn't sell you the pizza."

"Then why am I putting my card in here?"

"Buddy, the food stamp card doesn't have any money on it. There wasn't a transaction made. Nothing was taken off. There's just not any money on it. Do you want to pay with another card?"

He takes out another card. I push the button to initiate payment. He quickly scans his food stamp card and then shoves in a different card. The machine is beeping and going crazy.

"Okay, take the card out," I say. The machine is beeping and beeping.

"Is it finished?" he asks.

Beep beep beep beep!

"Take the card out," I say.

"Is it finished?"

Beep beep beep!

"No, take the card out."

"Why is it beeping?"

"Take your card out."

"It says 'thank you.'"

"Yeah, take your card out."

"Why does it say 'thank you'?"

"Because you confused it. Take your card out."

He spins the card reader around so I can see it. "It says 'thank you,' he says." It does indeed say this. I don't know why it says this, but this is not an uncommon thing. The little card reader is a finnicky loving thing and sometimes it says THANK YOU when it really means I AM CONFUSED.

Guy takes card out and looks very frustrated.

"Okay," I say. "Now --"

"Do you guys got a bathroom?"

"No, no public restroom."

"Your boss lets me use your bathroom."

"Then go ask him."

So he wanders off, back toward the back where my boss is doing Boss Stuff. I go back to helping customers, because by now the store is completely full and people are impatient. After a few customers, I see my boss is now cooking a pizza.

"Hey," I say. "That dude still hasn't paid for the pizza."

"Why didn't you sell him a pizza?" my boss asks.

"Buddy!" I shout to Guy. "Come over here and pay for the pizza if you're going to have a pizza cooked."

"I did pay for it."

"No, you didn't."

"Check your terminal. I did."

"You didn't pay for it."

"It said 'Thank you.'"

"That doesn't mean anything."

"If it says 'thank you,' then I paid for the pizza."

"You didn't pay for the pizza."

So now my boss comes over, and the three of us are having an obnoxious interaction. Guy wants a receipt proving he didn't pay for it. I tell him there is not receipt because there was no loving transaction. He says there is always a receipt.

"What loving receipt?!" I am now shouting. "You didn't pay for anything. There's no receipt if you don't buy anything."

He continues to argue about the terminal saying 'thank you.' This goes on for a while. The store is so full of people now.

My boss goes into the Very Back with the secret computer only he has access to. From here he can print out a log that at least indicates that I did ring up a pizza and attempted to process a transaction for it several times. And also during this time, the pizza has already been cooked and is now just sitting in a box while we argue over this dumbass interaction. I tell Guy we can try one more time. So we do. And just like before, he tries to sneak his food stamp card in, as though he's going to cheat the system somehow? Because he rings up two cards, the machine goes nuts again, it says THANK YOU again. He spins the terminal around so I can see it again.

"I'm done," he says. "I've paid for the pizza three times now."

"Take your card out of the machine," I say. It's beep beep beeping.

Guy wanders off.

"Hey, your card, buddy."

Guy wanders to this area that's sort of behind me. It's difficult to describe the space, but basically a customer can walk just past the cashier area to access a path that wraps around the back and allows access to frozen items. But he's not back there; he's just leaning against the counter, watching me, from behind. It makes me very uncomfortable.

"Take your card out," I say. It's beeping and beeping.

"I paid for the pizza."

I know this machine well enough that I know where we are in this ridiculous dance of beeps and errors. If he takes the card out, I can push a button, and he can put the card back in, and the transaction can finally be accomplished. I just feel weird handling someone else's card, but he's not even in front of the machine anymore. So I take the card out, push a button, put the card back in, and finally sell him this loving pizza.

"Why did you take my card?" he asks. "You can't do that. That's theft."

"Take your card," I say.

"You stole my card."

I slam the card down on the counter in front of him. "You've paid for the pizza, it's over there."

"It's cold, now."

"Yeah, man, it probably is."

I go back to helping customers. The line is massive. There are so many people in here. Every customer is loving furious at me, because I'm the cashier and if anything is inconveniencing a customer it always just becomes the cashier's fault. So I apologize to each one for the wait, etc.

Without being aware of it, Guy has fetched a different pizza, has opened it, and walks over being the counter where customers aren't allowed, and puts his pizza down on the cooking sheet. So I have to go stop him, and then my boss comes out, and now the new issue is that Guy doesn't want to eat the cold pepperoni pizza he paid for; he wants to eat the 7-meat pizza he just grabbed off the shelf. This is another excessively long and obnoxious exchange between myself, Guy, and my boss. He didn't pay for a 7-meat, he paid for a pepperoni, these ring up different, sometimes the prices are different. This is new headaches. I resolve the issue by cooking up the loving new pizza, boxing up the old, and not charging him for a second pizza because I just want this loving guy out of the goddamn store.

I return to helping customers. Guy brings his pizza over to that area he was at before -- the spot just sort of behind me. He proceeds to eat the entire loving pizza. He's asking me questions the whole time, and I try to just answer them perfunctorily or just ignore him. I think he's incredibly annoying and eating this pizza in the store right behind me isn't really allowed, but I also wonder if the guy has nowhere to go. It's 30 degrees, and he could be homeless, I don't know. So I don't want to be cruel and throw him out if this might be the only hot meal he's going to eat today, even if he was King Annoying poo poo the entire time.

Then there's a mess at my feet. There's a tiny garbage in the cashier area that we cram full of so much bullshit -- receipts, discarded paper, gloves, etc. Guy tried to take the entire pizza box, reach way over the country and cram it in my tiny garbage? It just spills and makes a mess and also now there are loving pizza bits all over. I try and smile and say to Guy, "I'll throw the box away, don't worry about it."

As I work through the rest of the customers, Guy just stands behind me the entire time. I ask if he needs something, and he says "I'll wait." It takes another ten, fifteen minutes but eventually every single customer is finally taken care of and the store only has like two people wandering around it. I walk down the counter to put something away, and Guy says behind me, "Aren't you guys supposed to tear these up?"

I turn around and see he has reached way over the counter and he is shoving his hand in the little receipt stash. He grabs a bunch of used lottery tickets, and then starts tearing them up.

"Whoa! Hey! Stop it!" I say, and come back over.

"You're supposed to tear these up," he says.

"No I'm not, stop it!"

"Did a customer return this?" he says, picking up a quart of motor oil. "I'll put it back on the shelf."

I catch up to him, knock the oil out of his hand, and grab the handful of torn up lottery tickets. He tries to hold on to him, and I shove him back, hard. He would have fallen on his rear end if he didn't grab the counter at the last minute.

"Hey, that's assault!" he says. "That's automatically assault! You can't touch customers!"

"Get the gently caress out of the store."

"You assaulted me."

"Get out of the loving store."

"Where's your boss?"

"Get the gently caress out of the store!"

He tries to grab the motor oil again, and I knock it away, and it goes bouncing down the aisle.

"Just get the gently caress out," I say. "Get the gently caress out of the store."

"I'm trying to work this shift," he says. "I'm just trying to learn how to do the job."

"Get the gently caress out. GET THE gently caress OUT!"

Finally he does. The couple customers in the store are all silent.

credburn has a new favorite as of 19:33 on Nov 16, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A while ago I had Venmo, only used it once. Since then, I changed my phone number. Now I want to use Venmo again, but my Venmo is still attached to my old number, and someone else's Venmo is attached to my current number. After almost two weeks of back-and-forth e-mailing, sending them pictures of my phone bill, my photo ID, they have concluded that there simply is no way to resolve this issue.

What's really annoying me about this is, people change their loving numbers all the time. This cannot be the first time they've heard of this issue. This must have been considered when they started the business. Instead of dragging me around for two weeks, they could have just told me, can't help ya, buddy! There was nothing new gained in these two weeks; all the information they requested from me was worthless, and they had to have known this.

loving hell, Venmo.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
woke up in my neighbor's bed. Sometimes we sleep together. Don't remember how I got there. I went to use the restroom and saw my face in the mirror.

"What the gently caress?"
"What?"
"What's with my face?"
"What do you mean what's with your face?"
"What happened? gently caress, why is my finger like that? Why is my arm covered in bruises?"
"I found you on my porch. You had been there all night. You were white and blue when I found you. It took forever to get you into my apartment and into bed. I have been watching over you all day wondering if you were going to die. Every time I tried to call for help you insisted I don't."
"I have no memory of any of this!"

Went to the urgent care. No drugs or alcohol found in me that would have caused this. Did not go hypothermic but came close, probably. Lots of bruising all over, and my face is real hosed up. No concussion. It is a mystery!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
So like, loving years ago I backed the loving Four Souls expanded Binding of Isaac card game on kickstarter. The project was delayed and delayed and loving delayed, for -- I might be wrong, but by the time it shipped it might have been three years late? Well in that loving time I moved -- twice! Each time I updated my address with Kickstarter. But apparently, there was some loving time frame, way back in loving February, that said if I changed my address after that, I would need to talk to USPS about where to deliver it. So I'm waiting for this loving game, and it finally ships, just over a month ago. I double checked and my address was right -- but it had been updated after that February window, and I never read that loving update. So a month later I finally am like, where the gently caress is my loving package? Oh, it was left at the doorstop of my last place, and I'm hosed out of money, hosed out of waiting for three loving years for this, hosed because for some dumb loving reason addresses changed after a specific date four months before being shipped would not be used?

I know a full 80% of kickstarter endeavors end in disappointment but this was my first time trying to back anything and I'm loving mad about it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Cowslips Warren posted:

can you contact the people at your old address and get it shipped back to you?

The thing is, it's been there a month. I don't think they've just been hanging on to it for a month waiting for someone to ask about it. So if I call... there's only one outcome where I can get the game, but many outcomes where I don't, and many of those outcomes might involve being lied to. It's just not worth it at this point; I'm almost certainly not getting the game back and contacting the people at the address I think will lead to me just being angrier.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
My father died January 2021, thirty days after my mother :mad:

Both heart attacks though

Yesterday was simultaneously father's day and my mother's birthday :mad: :mad:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

oldpainless posted:

I was in jury duty all week hearing testimony in a case where the charge was continued sexual assault of a minor. Don’t let the charge fool you though.

It was two minors.

:smith:

As in... one minor assaulted the other?

Somehow in my mind I'm like, "That would be better, at least!"

:smith:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
My ex and the guy she left me for showed up at a show I was wanting to see. I hate them; I moved sixty miles away just to avoid them and they still loving show up.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Facebook just notified me that today is my best friend's birthday! And on his Facebook page is where I discovered he's been dead for months and nobody told me :(

edit: jesus loving christ and I just learned he was shot multiple times while attempting a home invasion

gently caress!

credburn has a new favorite as of 21:26 on Sep 10, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I let a friend use my debit card to order a new backpack and she ordered it from a fraudulent website. So after a bit of a headache, I have a new debit card. But, less than a week into having it, my card is shut down because there's tons of fraudulent usage on it!

What's weird about it though is that there are a bunch of amazon.com orders, which I get, you know, it's a fraud thing... though I don't know how they got the debit card number. The amazon purchases aren't connected with my bank account or my actual amazon account; it's just my debit card being used. Secondly, some of the charges are from the town I live in. A bunch of gas station purchases. (they're not from me; I rarely drive and haven't filled my tank in over a month)
So... did someone "clone" my card? Is that a thing you can do?

What's even worse, my bank wants me to talk to them, but I can't on the phone because my phone was run over and is being repaired. My bank's branch is in another city. I don't want to drive all the way there, they won't talk to me over e-mail, I can't talk to them on the phone... argh and it also occurs to me, if I don't get a new debit card, I won't be able to pay for my phone's repair!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I've heard some places you have to get your car "inspected" for "emissions"??

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
My grandmother told me another person who was real significant to me as a kid has died.

I'm 39, I guess I'm at that age where those who were grownups when I was a kid are now dying off. But gently caress, man, honestly I went from age 0 to 37 and only ever knew two people that died: my grandfather and my great-grandmother. Between 37 and 39 I've known more than twenty friends, relatives, coworkers, or other people really close to me die. I'm so numb to it really that it's just, well, add another loving body to the pile. It's weird because it is sad, but it no longer hits. If my best friend died tomorrow I would be sad for obvious reasons but I feel like the weight of his death wouldn't hurt so bad, not like it would have two years before.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I did custodial work for Oregon State University for a little while, and one day I was cleaning up the vet lab and I turned the corner and my broom hit a dead German shepherd that was just lying on top of plastic. I freaked out and backed up and fell onto a pile of dead German shepherds that were all encased in thick plastic bags :(

Worst day of my life until, you know, later trauma

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

eating only apples posted:

Dad died last night. Yeah, pretty lovely.

Sorry, goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

Here's a real minor one: My only nephew was named Carter, but changed it upon reaching adulthood (I almost cheered when I learned that). Several years later, my new greatgrandnephew (via a different sibling) just got named. . . Karter. It's a good thing I can't throw things via internet.

I know I'm from a whole family of bad names, but do you have to make it worse? I hope K-boy changes it as soon as he hits 18 yrs old.

What's wrong with Carter?