Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Had an extremely long and convoluted nightmare about being trapped in a reality show thing where we were forced to kill zombies in an arena over and over until we all died. Sean Bean was there. Eventually four of us, out of a group of 20, managed to bust out of there only to find ourselves in a large hotel for round two, but the hotel was actually a palace overlooking a really weird "Hyde Park" in London. So Sean Bean, some guy, me and my girlfriend are clambering over rooftops to escape this shitshow and get into this park at ground level where Sean Bean has an uber waiting for us. Then there's like a movie timeskip to weeks later where my "character", who is apparently a catburglar, gets tricked into breaking into what turns out to be the zombie hotel for round two, at which point I wake up extremely rattled and shook. This is notable to me as I almost never have nightmares, and not this long and hosed up; It was all very detailed and coherent, and I remember it all, and I have been unable to get back to sleep for hours now. gently caress you brain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

the lesson is, never try

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

This didn't make my day lovely but dang it I want to whine a little bit into the void! A few days ago my 10 year old son was like "dad, you should stop using snus, its bad and harmful for your teeth and health :words: " and in the word deluge Im thinking to myself, what the hell kind of counter argument can I muster here? I could have pulled the "I make the rules here, kid" card, but I feel like that would definitely not be a good look, as a parent and someone who wants to set a good example. No my child, I will not stop using the harmful, carcinogenic substance that offers zero benefits. I'm The Adult Here. Lol no. So I said okay, and now three days later I'm fiending so bad. I have been shoving that poo poo under my lip for 12 years, and I'm feeling it lol

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Appreciate the kind thoughts! Today my son was like "dad why are you sweating so much" and I had to launch into a short explanation on addiction.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

gschmidl posted:

Now keep track of how much not buying that stuff saves you and buy that kid the biggest Lego you can find (or whatever they like).

Captain Invictus posted:

I swear there was a goon here who used an ultra pro card binder(for holding baseball/magic cards in 3x3 sleeve pages) and would put the cash he'd spend on cigarettes in a sleeve every time he resisted going to buy a pack or carton. by the time he considered himself totally free of their pull, he'd amassed something like eight grand in there.

but yeah, also just consider how much longer you'll likely live to enjoy time with your son in his lifetime if you stop smoking/chewing/whatevering tobacco products.

That's actually a really good idea, drat.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Savings... account? :confused:
:(

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Great dogs, shame about the allergy :(

Hey its me again, back to complain about stuff. A friend and I have been low key thinking about renting a house together out in the sticks, we're both kinda stuck in bad, expensive apartments fairly centrally located, which we both hate. We're pretty similar in how we think and live (at least, I thought so....), we both have a kid 50%, under a year apart in age, who like each other. It kinda seemed like a no brainer to be honest.

Turns out my guy is kind of an rear end in a top hat and an idiot, he was banking on this happening because in his mind, we would have a 24/7 lan party. We are 34 years old, and we both have a kid. In no way is that something you can, or should, hope for. So Im like, what the gently caress, and start digging. Turns out my guy actually just hates being a parent and assumed I did too. Like its totally normal to spend all your time and energy figuring out reasons why your daughter cant come this week, or even worse, when she is there he tells me (proudly! Like its normal!!!!) she wakes up at 7, he sleeps until noon then plays fifa all day while his daughter is sent to her room with an ipad. Again, I'm like, what the gently caress? And then he goes "no no its okay, i was investigated by CPS but they had to close the case due to staffing issues". :dafuq: somehow in his mind that means his neglectful parenting is state sanctioned. And then today he went on a diatribe about Pride and how in general gays are ok but not when he has to know they exist in some fashion. In the span of like four days I have lost all respect I once had for this man and Im pissed because 1) for the first time in a long time I had started sorta planning for the future, and then that plan went bust. And 2) being a friendless loser, this guy was basically the only person I would hang with, we've know each other for over 20 years, now thats over. I can't even look him in the eyes anymore, I'm loving so pissed and disgusted.
Ninja edit: also turns out he spends all his money on fifa points and weed, so his mommy has to send him hundreds of dollars every month to keep the wheels spinning. This is totally sustainable according to him and he did not understand how I could possibly think this was a negative.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

please tell me the cps line is an exaggeration

Word for word what he said.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Holy gently caress I feel like I'm detoxing off heroin over here, can't sleep, sweating like mad, angry as hell. Why is nicotine even a thing. Why did I ever start? Well I know why I started, to look cool at parties LMAO. Good call idiot!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

just had 6 teeth extracted

it is uncomfortable

drat. Did they at least give you some drugs?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

:stare: I've had some "teeth adventures" during my life, but drat. Hope you and dog heal up quick!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Your brothers gonna shoot someone in line at wendy's or something, what the gently caress lol

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

This and the post quoted below got me thinking, and I just 2ant to give yome encouragement.

If I had done that, I would have quit drinking far before I did because when I looked back at my bank account and credit cards, I realized I was spending almost $7000-9000 a year on alcohol. On an average day I was drinking an entire 3L Bota Box of wine, 8-10 shots of 100 proof liquor, and 4-6 cans of heavy beer. I wasn't drinking because I enjoyed it, I was drinking to prevent withdrawal symptoms and when I stopped I had a seizure. I was lucky enough to have insurance that covered 10 days in rehab because I sure as hell couldn't afford the $17,000 it cost for that plus more than $16,000 for a year-long outpatient program.

My liver enzyme levels are down to the normal range after previously having been at 3x the ALT/AST ratio of alcoholic liver disease, I've lost 80 pounds, am still overweight but below the body fat percentage that's considered obese, and my hemoglobin A1C has dropped from 8.7 to 5.2 and while I have to keep with a low glycemic index diet, I beat the 'beetus.

I'm saying this because overcoming addiction is really, really hard, but you can do it. When you do, you'll look back and be happy that you did.

:unsmith: good work, friend

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

winterwerefox posted:

An online friend i have known for 15-20 years died in his sleep on the 20th. his family was nice enough to let his online contacts know. Better than just never hearing from him again. :unsmith:

Friends are friends, that loving sucks. Goondolences :smith:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ran out of money 9 days before the next payout, oops! Real glad the rent increase, higher power rate AND summer holidays with my son all happened at the same time.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Just wasted a third of all my money buying a usb c to hdmi adapter to get my son's switch running on my tv cos he forgot the dock, only to find out Nintendo does some fuckery to make you only use their hardware. Lol, lmao. Should have googled it or whatever but idiot me assumed as long as the cables and whatnot match up it should work. Holy loving poo poo I am so upset.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Doesn't really matter now, I can't afford to buy another.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

oldpainless posted:

Is it not returnable?

It's opened and "used", so no not really. I may get store credit which is useless :(

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I feel like I'm going crazy over here, there's just nothing to do all day except sit around bored, angry and frustrated. I'm too poor to have hobbies and going for walks is fast losing its lustre.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I didn't have eggs. I thought I did, but I don't!:argh:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My landlord sent me an e-mail that I'm too scared to open :(

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If it's not bad, you're working yourself up for nothing. If it is or it's something time-sensitive, then ignoring it might only make it worse. The only way to know is to open it now or at least soon.
But it's your decision, I'm just a random schmuck on the Internet.

It's either rent is going up, or I'm being evicted. I can't handle either of those right now. So if I ignore it, maybe this time it will go away

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

It's so loving cold! gently caress!!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

credburn posted:

I've heard some places you have to get your car "inspected" for "emissions"??

The woke mob has gone too far!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Woke up to frozen pipes this morning because I can't afford to keep the heat on because I'm saving money for my sons birthday at the end of the month. God drat I hate winter and christmas.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My kitchen ceiling has started leaking, which is very bad. My kitchen is permanently freezing now. Dishwasher broke. Heating only works sporadically. Broke and extremely worried about christmas vis a vis my kid. Haven't slept for two days. Landlord is on vacation somewhere in the pacific and is unreachable.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I think I broke my loving hand after completely wiping out on some ice, and landing about as bad as I possibly could. And it was my good hand too, ol lefty :argh:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

Rpol.net did a huge rework yesterday or so, and now the format is off on nearly all my rpg. Missing random punctuation for 200 pages loving sucks.

My neighbor's under-5-year old kid got a bike for Xmas and has been doing huge circles in the street, which is mostly blocked by garbage and recycling cans. The kid DOES NOT STOP but simply rides out in front of any cars passing by, and won't move out of the road even when you honk your horn at him. The loving garbage collection truck laid on their horn loud because he just kept biking in wide circles while his parents kinda looked at him from their yard.

They did, however, put up a homemade sign on a post and have that in the road warning people there are kids at play and to drive slow.

That's actually insane. Are they trying to kill their own child? :psyduck:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

We've had about 2 meters of snow over the last couple of days which is bad enough but today I woke up to my find my water main frozen. I'm praying to Satan I manage to thaw it out before the weekend, where we have been forecast -20c weather :waycool: my landlord is 'out of town' until monday lmfao. gently caress you!!

Ok well I told him that for all i know those pipes can burst at any time and if that happens, that's at least two apartments that will be destroyed, plus, you know I have no water which I would like to have, and he just does not care. :psyduck:

Biplane has a new favorite as of 22:52 on Jan 3, 2024

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Well looks like my nightmare came true, my downstairs neighbor woke me up at 5am because waters dripping from her ceiling. Can't wait to get into a months long legal battle with my landlord, the wastrel failson of a rich and succesful lawyer, over who gets to pick up the bill, even though I'm about 90% sure that legally I'm covered. gently caress!!!!!!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My shoes have big holes in them. My feet are constantly wet and freezing :negative:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Medically spitroasted :stare:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Detheros posted:

Pulled a muscle in my back simply getting up and now I just want to die forever from the pain.

Getting old sucks, lmao.

:hfive:

I baked some cookies yesterday to celebrate getting a job but I ate too many of the cookies and today my tummy hurts :negative:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I'm pretty sure my friend stole 50 bucks from me. That sucks for a lot of reasons :(

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Going on 9 hours in the ER waiting room now.

Good thing it's apparently not much of an emergency.

What a farce.

God drat, hang in there :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

eating only apples posted:

Dad died last night. Yeah, pretty lovely.

Goondolences