Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Friend of ten years and I had a bitter fight. Around Halloween she stopped contacting me, so every once in a while I'd text or msg her and the conversations were always short. I always had to start the contact, she never did. So I finally asked her what the gently caress her problem was, and it devolved into a fight where she expected me to contact her more often if I was that worried about her and never saw anything odd about the fact I always had to start the conversations. It went on for most of the night. It might be better now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Went to look at awesome used car I could afford and was in great condition. Had an appt for this morning.

It sold last night. The sales dude knew, of course, but kept us in limbo while he tried to persuade us to look at fleet rentals.

My car's water pump went out. It's like she knew.

My friend got back from a trip and she's been pretty standoffish and not wanting to do much.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Picked up pizza today. Ordered it with light sauce and well done. Ate about half a slice before sauce spurted out, and the middle tasted barely cooked. For the first time ever for pizza, I was That Customer. I called the store and said I'd be back for a replacement and would bring the poo poo pizza back. The one I got ended up perfect, even with all the spit I'm sure I got in it.

Meanwhile my mom's pizza was the same, and her replacement, she said, wasn't as good as the undercooked one.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Had a bad fight with my mom about our computer fuckery. The rooms in the back of the house can't get wifi suddenly. Cox dude offered the idea of a wifi extender, which didn't work. My mom doesn't care too much, as I have a chromebook and her computer isn't affected, so her Facebook games go on.

I got a plan together so I could get my new computer to run on ethernet so I can, for once, play some games, but she veto'd the moving of the living room furniture to allow for a desk, because, she whined, we'd get on each other's nerves if I was out there on the computer while she binged Big Bang Theory....and she refuses to watch TV in her room because her DVR is in the living room and she had 200 hours on it so won't consider using any other kind of TV cause she'd lose her shows.

She offered the compromise that I could set up a computer near hers and use the wifi, but she doesn't understand ethernet or why I need it, and gets snippy when I try to explain. Trying to also explain she hosed up in the first place last year by letting the Cox dude set up a modem/router across the house from my room hosed up my Internet speeds does not end well.

Oh, and we pay almost $280 a month for loving cable and Internet that doesn't work in half the loving house!

My friend has offered to come over and see about running a cord throughout the house but that will be tricky, and I'd need to kick my mom out for several hours for him to try and lay the cable out because she would not leave him alone and be whining all the time if her DVR will still work.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Called out sick to take cat to vet.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Thin Privilege posted:

Similar:

I was scheduled till 2pm and I stayed till 2:45 and when I asked store manager to let me leave cause I had a vet appt she got all mad at me. There were other employees there, she didn’t need me.

She’s been all drama to me recently and was soooo rude and mean to me talking down to me like I was mentally incapacitated . I felt like poo poo. Today was especially bad.

Drama is poo poo but on the plus side I stood up for myself and took my cat to the vet and got her her medicine. gently caress drama, but still sucks to be talked to like I’m mentally incapacitated.

And now fun. I had a headache Monday but thought it was from my sunburn. Last night had a fever of 102, so now I really am sick. Fever, chills, total lethargy. Doc says is a strain of flu, plus ear infection. Yaaaay.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
When I called out sick for the second day in the row because I still have the flu, my boss tried to explain to me kind of guilting me to the fact that well we need you to come in on Friday because some people already have vacation requested and they're going to get it off and we're going to be really short staffed. Despite the fact that yes I did in fact take Monday off, went to take my cat to the vet and two because I thought I could take care of whatever I had with over-the-counter medication but that didn't work, and I worked a full 8 hours on Tuesday despite having a hundred and two degree temperature and the flu, the most importantly I do deliveries to nursing homes! On every single nursing home door I've ever gone to there are huge signs posted asking that if you are sick in any way shape or form to please not come in! The people inside have compromised immune system so please if you have the flu or a cold or anything do not come into the home! I'm pretty sure my boss knows this and I told him that the medication I'm on should make sure I'm not contagious by at least Saturday but he's still not happy that I need another day off this week to combat something that actually has been killing people this year!

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 21:20 on Mar 1, 2018

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My cat Calhoun died today. She was about six years old. Had had some issues with her teeth, so a month ago she underwent surgery. Popped back and was fine. I didn't bother with the post checkup. Should have. She got a cold and despite treating her, and her going from normal to sickly, today was vet day. I got home on my lunch break to check on her, and she was dead. Had been dead for a while. I called the vet and got put on hold so many times, but I wanted to cancel the appt in case someone else needed it.

She was the best loving cat. She took care of our foster kittens, was a great momma cat to every new foster we got, when I had the flu she stayed in bed and comforted me. And she's dead. And I don't know what to do. My mom is a bawling mess but all I can think is this poem:

quote:

Do Not Stand at My Grave and Weep
by
Mary Elizabeth Frye

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am in a thousand winds that blow,
I am the softly falling snow.
I am the gentle showers of rain,
I am the fields of ripening grain.
I am in the morning hush,
I am in the graceful rush
Of beautiful birds in circling flight,
I am the stars that shine at the night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there. I did not die.

And then I start crying again.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I do the print work and all preregistration stuff for my local aquarium club's convention every year. Every year I swear it is the last because the president always fucks something up. Last year we had too many people register and this was after I did everyone's name badges, so this year I tried to be on top of poo poo. This year he decides preregistration is bad because it's 'awkward' to tell people they can't register for an event we have talked about and promoted FOR FOUR MONTHS THREE DAYS BEFORE THE EVENT. I told him I have no issues with people registering at the door but all the printing is done.

He told me to handwrite out Hi My Name is labels and have those ready in advance up until the actual event.

I am so tempted to tell him to gently caress off. If running prereg is so easy, I am sure he can find someone else to do it in the next two days starting from scratch!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

Bring blank labels. These people are presumably older than toddlers, they can write their own name.

I have to assign them registration numbers so they can bid on anything, and with walk-ins getting numbers that start after the pre-regs, it could be a cluster. I haven't done any more though.

Blink 182's song I Miss You is stuck in my head, and even though I KNOW it's about a breakup and people cheating on each other, the refrain and chorus makes me cry because it's been a week and a day since my cat died, and I still find myself wanting to call for her when I get home. I loving buried her on Sunday, why can't my memory of calling her when I'd get home every day from work, and she'd come wandering out for pets, just stop?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

I wonder how hard it would be to fake measles?

Nah, but this is probably going to be my last year doing the registration. I got a look over all our club members and realizing that maybe 15 of us do ANY of the volunteer work while the rest sit and enjoy the entire convention is a bit offputting.

Oh don't joke about the measles, some kid a city over got sent home because he has those, or the mumps. Seeing as I do deliveries to school districts that poo poo is terrifying and more terrifying because Phoenix is apparently super ripe for an outbreak since people do not have to vaccinate their kids here. Ever, at all.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Little Acorns posted:

I cant stop crying - its been a whole week - and i want to die. Only back in November i was happy. Someone was very irresponsible with an already fragile heart :( Why did he have to hurt me? I wish he did it to someone that can manage this pain or no one at all. I cant eat or sleep and i just want to drink until i die. i think this was the straw that broke the camels back for me.. i give up on life.

Have you talked to anyone, besides goons? Not that we're all bad but still.

My cat died a little over a month ago. I've been doing okay until today, when I saw the last photos I ever took of her, and just broke down sobbing like a baby. It hit me stupid hard, to the point I look at some of the other cats and wonder why I have them, because none of them seem to matter with her gone, and I realize that is not fair at all to them. I also keep wondering if I could have prevented her dying if I had only taken her to the vet sooner or gotten her dental stuff taken care of sooner. I was doing so well, to the point none of my friends even guessed she was gone.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

We've had squirrels in the attic problems for years. I've killed untold numbers of the bastards, had multiple handymen fix the holes in the house they chewed only for them to chew new ways in, and thought the problem was finally solved when we had the entire roof and soffits redone a year ago.

Suddenly I hear the pitter patter of tiny feet above me. I go outside and a tiny, maybe 5 inch long baby squirrel is zipping in and out of a gap in the dormer above the window in my room carrying acorns inside extremely rapidly. This super sucks because they found a new way in, but also because I'll have to have a guy come and patch up the gaps with metal plating and stuff. Maybe in the meantime I can somewhat deter them by spraying foam insulation studded with razor blades in the gaps.

Man I really hate squirrels. They're adorable until one decides your house is its new nest site, and then you will never be rid of them ever again

I had termites this year. I think I'd rather take them again than loving squirrels.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My friend will not get his dogs microchipped because "they never leave the house" save to go on walks and the vet and on random car rides.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I filed my taxes last week and got the refund already. Now I'm loving paranoid I messed up because the return was larger than last year by about a grand and I am waiting for a letter from the IRS that I owe the money back.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry for your loss, Pastry. We fostered kittens some years back, and one of them, Varys, started acting very slow one day. By the next day he was gone. FIP.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
poo poo my problem seems like nothing now.

A few days ago I found two tiny bites, like insect bites, next to each other on my upper leg. Okay whatever. I have a kitten so it's possible her claws got me. Then I find two more on my thigh. Literally looks like I poked myself about a half inch to an inch apart with a toothpick. I panic and think bedbugs, so I tear apart my bed, wash everything twice, and I don't see any of the signs posted online, like bug shells or poo poo or bloodstains. I put everything back, after throwing a ton of diatom earth in between the mattress and box spring, and am calm.

Until today when I find two small welts, like mosquito bites, on my shoulder. I can't remember if the other bites started like this or not. I still can't find any trace of bedbugs but after dealing with termites last year, I am going crazy searching nonstop with the flashlight on my bed and the curtains and finding not a loving thing other than carpet beetles.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

bedbugs generally do at least two bites in a line, usually more like 3-5. if you start seeing that, it's very likely bedbugs. to really check for bedbugs in your bed, go to the edges of your mattress and uncurl the sewn up edges of it to see if they've set up shop in the nooks there. they can fit literally anywhere, even between the pane of glass and frame of a picture frame, so you want to look everywhere. if it is bedbugs, diatomaceous earth is a good start, I would recommend getting a handheld steamer that produces a consistent 140+ degree steam because it will cook bedbugs, who if directly exposed will die basically instantly(even doing a "flip on their back and legs curl up" thing) but you'll have to do this quite a lot on a daily basis for weeks if you've got a decent sized infestation, which it's very easy to get without even knowing. I had to deal with indian bedbugs that hitched a ride on some stuff from india once and it was a total nightmare, but after about a month of consistent cleaning, vacuuming(with diatomaceous earth in the vacuum bag too to kill any I sucked up), and steaming, I finally had purged them from my house.

as for my day being lovely, I've been on medical leave for a few months and will be returning to work this coming week. I messaged a friend of mine there and found out that it's gotten incredibly worse for basically every worker, including but not limited to being forced to work through lunch breaks every single day, which is gonna drive me loving nutty since I need that time to rest up a little before the second shift. and apparently the volume of work is on par with christmas season, likely due to the amount of people staying home and ordering poo poo instead of going out and buying it directly from stores. great.

My mattress doesn't have that little lip. I went through it again last night, and saw nothing. But the paranoia is there. Doesn't help that they can go for a year without a loving meal, and with all my animals, I get nicks and scratches constantly.

Did you ever see your little bastards? How were your bite marks?

Also poo poo thing: corona virus upticking again because old people refuse to wear masks at all here, and they're blaming all the protesters instead.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
edit: Your urgent care is seeing people without covid stuff? Mine has a line about 200 people long every morning for covid testing. I don't know if they even take any other patients right now.

Got our old TV out of the house and put up the new smart TV. It is like pulling teeth to get my mom to upgrade anything in the house; the old DVD player had a VCR with it. Very slowly over covid I have been able to cut down on totes of her hoarding. But it's not easy with her at home.

But while doing this all, I was hit by the sudden memory ache of an old friend. I haven't spoken to her in a decade or so, and before that we had a nasty fight, didn't speak for three years, and then she swooped back into my life for about a year or so. She was my best friend for ages, we had a horrible falling out, and when she came back, I was so happy I didn't care she was clearly using me. She wanted a self esteem boost, and I gave it. I did everything I could to make her stay around, even shoved away my other friends so I could do whatever she wanted. And then after a time, my brain got smarter than the rest of me and pointed out how little she actually cared, how I went balls deep into trying to make her happy again. When she left that time, there was no warning, she just blocked me on some social media, and I texted her once, asking what happened, because the night before we had been playing our usual online rpg and everything was great, and she had some new poo poo planned as the GM.

And still nothing from her. I had to realize over time that she had gotten what she needed from me, and then when I started needing poo poo from her, she bailed. Not unusual. But a few nights ago I began to reread some of our old plays and that stupid nostaglia kicked me in the teeth. Until I did the math and realized it has been ten years since I spoke to her, at all. And reading over the old plays, how much fun they were, how much fun we had...but it didn't matter. Because once she got what she needed, once she got that boost of her ego, she was done with me. And I do remember her complaining how her dad was being a jerk and wanted her to get a real job (she had been a cashier for years but quit because she 'wanted to do art.') and instead she 'worked' for a friend's store, without pay; I remember her saying she helped him tile his new store, and painted all the walls, and was there 40 some hours a week helping him, and ignoring the fact he wasn't paying her. And when I pointed out she should be getting paid for her work, she blew up at me and gave me the silent treatment for days.

So our friendship wasn't healthy. But part of me still misses her despite knowing how little I really meant.

Other poo poo: I got offered a job I thought I wanted, but some research indicates I do not. I was all excited Friday but after the research and learning I'd be considered temp for possibly years...I can't take it. And it sucks because it's a government job so once I got in for good, I'd be set for life, in theory.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

the office was entirely empty the entire time we were there. this is in massachusetts, I dunno if things are getting really ugly or not elsewhere in the state but where I am most people still wear masks every day and still mostly follow social distancing measures so it's probably cutting down on the spread significantly.

her eye is getting much better, two days ago her vision through that eye was entirely blurry, now there's just a blurry line across her vision in that eye, and it'll probably mostly if not entirely go away within a week. she's really, really lucky.

drat, but glad to hear she's feeling better! How exactly did this happen where her eye was damaged?

hopefully it's better than other parts of the country, I'm in Arizona and we are one of the new epicenters and there still people going outside without masks on.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Are they just assholes or afraid you will replace them?

An ex friend of mine had this horrible habit where she would get super into something and would not shut up about it, even if you had no interest. Like the Bay Transformers (the first movie at least). Probably the Bumblebee one too. DeathNote. So many things she would frenzy about, and then lose interest after the pressure wore you down and you gave up and in and watched/listened to it too to get her to shut up.

Anyway she once told me, over and over, to listen to this one band, VAST, and their one song "I Don't Have Anything" because it fit with an rpg we were doing. I refused to listen because I had no interest in it (and because she again would not stop talking about how great it was). I finally listened to it today, and while it's a haunting song, parts of it are good, and the rest is meh. Like literally the last verse is the only one that was good, and then I realize the entire song might be good but her refusal to drop talking about it, ruined the entire thing for me.

By comparison, I told her Watership Down was a great book, and she turned the conversation to buying a book from some psychic Sylvia Brown and how she was a total legit psychic, unlike all the others, and proceeded to tell me all about how legit she was.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Astrofig posted:

Ughhh I had a classmate like that in high school right around the time that Supernatural came out. No matter what we were working on she managed to steer the topic back to that. I didn't watch for years because she tainted it.

Oddly enough another friend was (and probably still is) SUPER into Supernatural but barely talked about it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HOLY gently caress posted:

Yesterday my husband told me that for the past year he’s been feeling a strong urge to have kids. However, before we even got married and several times after we both talked about it and agreed that we definitely didn't want kids. He asked me if i would reconsider and i told him that sorry, my feelings hadn’t changed but i was glad he came and talked to me about it. I don’t dislike kids or anything but I don’t want any of my own and know that I would not be a good parent. So then he was like “don’t worry, we’ll take things one day at a time” like gently caress, now I’m worried! I guess it all comes down to how much he wants kids and and if he’s willing to not have them but this childish, selfish part of me is like WTF YOU SAID YOU DIDN'T WANT ANY!! I know feelings change over time but ugh, now I’m sad.

My friend and his ex were both on the same page, no kids, ever, until her sister had one. Because it was the first grandbaby in the family, all attention went to them, and his ex got very very jealous. She had always had some competitive streak with her sister, so she told my friend she wanted to have a baby within the next few years. He, and I love the dude but he is a manchild, promptly and rightly refused because he'd be a bad parent. She said fine, then back and forth arguing where she demanded a list from him, things she would do so they could have a kid. And he actually made a loving wish list, including sexual acts, and how many times a week he wanted them. She freaked out when presented with the actual list.

She ended up cheating on him with a joint friend (married with kids) and they finally got divorced.

For me, gently caress, it's the same poo poo I've been dealing with anxiety wise for a few weeks: I've not wanting to talk to my friend, and we run an rpg every night, but for some reason all I want to do in my downtime is reread poo poo from 10-15 years ago, when life was easier and simpler and I worked at a poo poo zoo for like $9 an hour. I'm still fine with everything else, it's just I don't want to talk to her, or run this play we've been doing for ages, so I keep putting it off or telling her I'm not feeling well (which isn't precisely a lie, we are in a heatwave where the night low is 90 and days average 115 or so. it was 90 in my house yesterday with the ac on max). We went a week without talking because there was some WoW thing she had for seven days, and with her new job, it was a good release, and for those seven days I was loving so happy I didn't have to speak to her. I don't get why.

edit: One of our foster cats has super bad IBS to the point she shits in my bathtub or bathroom floor horrible runny stools. She refuses any prescription food, throws up regular cat food, but human food? Pizza, ice cream, anything she can steal, she can mostly keep down. The vet doesn't have any results for us and it's been almost two weeks. I seriously think she has a tumor or some kind of cancer because she is not keeping food down.

edit: okay the pepper contest has me wondering: is it speed based or just how many hot ones you can eat?

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 13:50 on Aug 17, 2020

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Pijeus posted:

Someone really close to me said something out of stress that struck right at the heart of everything i don't like about myself and I am just so upset all I can think of is hiding out but I can't because we are locked down together.

The worst part about lockdown is realizing how the Donner party might have really started because someone cracked their knuckles one too many times.

We are social creatures but I wonder if other social beasts, like ants and bees, ever just scream and leave the nest for a while.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

Last night I had to accept that with my roommate and I probably parting ways when the lease is up next May, I really need to jam and get some poo poo together... which led me to some very very uncomfortable questions at 4 am in bed about my dog. She's stress-incontinent and badly trained beside, and 13 years-old. It's going to be hard finding an affordable situation with a stranger willing to put up with her, and hell I genuinely worry about her being safe while alone with someone.

As dark as it was, there was a real part of me that thought "no more vet bills, no more food, no more having to worry about coming back home very few hours, way more options for renting with a new roommate" and feeling insanely guilty for considering just for a minute that maybe it was her time. It's not her time. I bought her some washable diapers today to try out, and things could get better before May in a lot of ways... but gently caress me was that a bleak way to start my morning.

Not at all. I made the mistake with my dog, who had gone deaf and nearly entirely blind. I waited too long, and she was suffering. She actually fell in the pool for the first time ever, thankfully I was home and got her out.

Trying to convince two of my friends that their dogs were suffering was an exercise in futility: one's dog was having seizures, pissing himself, couldn't eat, but she refused, insisting he would be fine, he only had seizures "sometimes." Several times a day. Friend got into several heated arguments with her family because she refused to let any vet put him down, and kept wanting to speak to other vets with "solutions."

Another friend's dog was paralyzed in his back legs, and he'd drag himself around, and still want to play, but my friend used the "he's still eating so he's fine" test. But the dog would want to play, and couldn't, and eventually you'd have to wipe him all over from his messes while he cried. Carry him everywhere. The dog was clearly in pain, but my friend didn't want to make the decision.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Last year we had to put down our German Shepherd, Spyder. She had valley fever loving horribly bad in her shoulders/front legs, and while the vet said amputation might work, it wouldn't help her much. She was an old dog, had problems getting around, and I had to loving carry her into the car, and then down and out at the vet's office. We had her for about 10 years, but she was an adult rescue, so we have no idea of her real age.

Maybe it's because we've lost so many over the years; it never hurts any less, but part of me, a part I almost consider the serial killer/sociopath part, says: Animal is in pain, nature won't let her go, so you have to.

lovely Today Because: Very tired but can't sleep. Also my period is on the way, and I just want to tear everything in regards to that out, because I don't want to have kids, and would rather deal with menopause than this poo poo every month.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I hear more about how the economy is dying and how "it's okay if young people get it because they recover fast" than anything about loving WEARING YOUR MASKS STILL. How AZ is rebounding but unless we bail out the hotels and airlines and everyone soon, it's gonna be horrible!

gently caress your loving businesses! You already pay little to no loving taxes, I bet your CEOs got loving raises this year, and you want more loving money as you furlough more people?

My mom doesn't hate Trump but keeps hinting how Biden's VP pick said to kill all cops so she can't possibly vote for Biden because "you know if he wins, she'll have him killed right off." Any time I mention the poo poo Trump has done, she goes off about people disrespecting the police and how it's all Obama's fault, somehow?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My hedgehog Urchin might have hedgehog wobbly leg syndrome. There is no medicine. There is no cure. He will eventually not be able to move his back legs, then all legs will be paralyzed. He doesn't run on his wheel anymore. At most, we have about a year. At least, a week or more.

One of my snakes fell yesterday (or the night before) and landed badly on a branch in her cage, and she has a nice inch gash on her underside. You cannot bandage a snake, so I got some skin sealant and had to set her up a tiny papertowel covered tote to live in for a while.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Was leaving Costco today and my car died. Like, still in drive, and driving, and just stopped in the middle of a busy road. I hit the flashers right off, tried to restart it a few times before calming down, and then it suddenly started and got me the 8-9 miles home. But now I'm terrified to go out before I hit the mechanic's tomorrow, and they're only open for a few hours, but I got an appointment. Fingers crossed.

This morning my mom had a meltdown worthy of a spoiled toddler, screaming "gently caress this gently caress you" at the top of her lungs, for about ten minutes, while her work computer froze, and the front door was open so all the kids walking to school hear her shrieking and throwing things before she calmed down enough to yell for me to come help her. After getting home from Costco, I found her still in a super angry mood and snapping how she hates her job and wants to quit. I seriously hope weed becomes legal here soon, because I will simply dose her loving coffee every morning.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I put down my hedgehog a week ago or so. I still wake up every morning and head to his cage to change his water, and every evening after work I think about taking him out to chill in his pouch while I work on the computer. But gently caress, we fostered a tumor-riddled guinea pig for over a year, and when she finally died from said tumor, I kept going into the room and wondering where she was. For almost two weeks after I broke her cage down.

I need to go see a doctor at some point because I haven't in years, but the last time I did, the rear end in a top hat (who is retired now) had me undress and sit in a room for 45 minutes. I mean, normal poo poo, but even 30 minutes later no one came to check on me. I overheard him and the techs singing Happy Birthday some time later; they had closed up the place, were celebrating someone's birthday, and were shocked to find me still waiting for my exam. I just hit the Little Clinic when I feel sick, but I do need to go and find out about my poo poo health in general. probably have high blood pressure and all.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I had plans today once I got off work, to go home, eat dinner, then head out for a nice long walk! Weather is finally getting nice around here for evening walks. I missed yesterday, can't get in that habit!

Instead I had a snack, played some Pokemon Go at home, relax a bit. Okay, now time to go for a walk! And then my mom had a breakdown. A nice full screaming tantrum because Facebook logged her out. She spent a good 10 minutes screaming about how this poo poo never works, she hates this, she wants to cancel her subscription to Facebook, all kinds of mad ravings. I offer to help her, find her stupid password notebook, but she changed her password and didn't update it. Cue another screaming meltdown that I tuned out, and went to make dinner while she raged, quiet finally after she got to log in, to play a few games, made some half-hearted attempt to ask me how my dinner was, and then went into another fit because she couldn't figure out how to change her password.

I, at my computer, checked out how to, verbally told her the three steps, then went back to eating. Not good enough, another cursing under her breath tantrum before she slammed the drawer shut and stormed off to her bedroom. Okay, finally some peace.

Nope.

Another screaming tantrum, at what, no clue. Some slamming poo poo in her room, she opened the door enough to throw out the top half of a litterbox (okay??) then slammed the door. Should have left then, because she came out, grabbed up the lid, and slammed it around the kitchen, doing God knows what, outside, then back inside, slamming and cursing poo poo still.

I have no loving clue what set her off tonight. But I have tomorrow off, and she works from home, so I will be spending as much time as possible out of it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My chill boss is leaving and we are getting stuck with a horrible bitch who runs the other district, who likes to peek in on security cameras to 'make sure you're not playing around when you should be working.' She is also huge on taking your breaks on time, which in theory is great, but in reality is insane, since half the time we are doing deliveries in residential or gated communities, or in unsafe areas, and she insists you loving stop and lunch right now!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
had to put one of our foster cats down today.

It didn't have to happen. It should have never happened. Over two weeks ago my mom contacted the head of our rescue and informed them about D's problems, her weight loss, her refusal to eat. Took her to the rescue clinic where she was given some steroids, and we were given pills for her. Forcing her to take them resulted in her frothing at the mouth, fighting us nonstop, and running away whenever we looked at her. She didn't eat still.

So we kept badgering the rescue and finally they got us an appt with a vet across town. My mom was sure they'd put her down, D looked like poo poo, she wasn't cleaning herself, wasn't eating, and the insides of her ears were loving yellow from jaundice. Instead she got a feeding tube put in, and my mom was sent home with her. Without any further instruction like what loving kind of food to get her.

So we spent hours trying to reach the vet once she got home with the woozy D, and the tech so loving helpfully emailed us the name of the canned food we needed, and that we HAD to feed her a can a day. Oh, she didn't mention it was a prescription food, and we never got a prescription. Keep in mind this is about 430pm on a Friday. After my mom called the vet and pulled her best Karen off, the vet sent a prescription across town for us to get the next day. I picked up about 14 cans, over $35 dollars worth, and we set up to feed her.

She could not take in the 15 oz of slurry every few hours. 10 oz, anything over, and vomit city. So we ended up spacing out the feeding every 8 hours, so she could keep it down. Also, you know, emails to the rescue's vet tech and president went unanswered because the latter's days off are on Friday through Sunday, and the president was on loving vacation. No calls or emails from the vet to check on D. Oh, and we had never loving ever tube fed a cat before, and both of us working 9-10 hour days...

It would have been two weeks this Friday. We kept up as much feeding and grooming as we could, but she still lost weight, and we had to wipe her down with damp cloth to get her fur at least unmatted. She didn't move from her condo aside from pissing in the litter box and rolling over to sleep.

She did give me a goodbye present when we took her in: a three toothed bite on my chest, actually ripping the shirt, so now I have to keep an eye on this so I don't get some Khal Drogo style infection.

I am done with this rescue. I am done having to take animals to be put down because the loving rescue lets us flounder and beg for help because "im on vacation lol!" The president of the rescue has had PLENTY of time to post once an hour on Facebook various Trump memes hating on him, but can't spare ten loving minutes to help us get D euthanized humanely.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Garrand posted:

Welp, my water got shut off today and I also happened to have some stomach issues crop up so that sucks

Why was it shut off?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I was an idiot and ordered this really cool mask online, some werewolf looking thing with movable ears and glowing eyes. So of course what I get is a lovely dollar store rubber mask from China. Opened a dispute with Paypal, and even after sending pics to prove what I got was not what I ordered, and the seller now says they will happily return my money, once I have sent the mask back, which is going to cost more than the loving mask itself.

$40 lesson learned. Fuckers.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What does your landlord say about another person moving in?

Tortoise hut heat lamp fell today. Thankfully my mom was home, not at work, and caught the smoke before there was a fire.

So we had to shove all our tortoises into the old hut (think a supersized dog house) for the cold night, while we figure out how to fix the heater/make a new setup. The irritating thing is we've had all year to do it, but every design I had didn't work, and the dude who built it kinda messed up by adding a floor, so we also found, when digging out all the smoky straw, that some box turtles dug under the thing, and were crushed/couldn't get out and died.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Tortoise hut didn't burn down, just stinks from the smoke. At least it's not super freezing at night, so they're cramped in the old one at night, but better that than URIs.

Walrus, can anyone else take your dog for a short while?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hedrigall posted:

It’s the thought that counts

That's what people say when they have nothing better to say.

The thought counts when thought is put into it.

My friend, who never buys me gifts (we always go out to eat for my birthday and xmas, and couldn't this year) did get me a small trio of hedgehog statues. I almost cried, because my pet hedgehog Urchin died a few months ago, and I almost cried because there was thought put into it, and for a dude who never buys presents for people, it was spot on what I needed.

Last year, my dad's family all got together, him, my stepmom, her adult sons and one wife, and the two kids. I don't know any of these people really, so my gifts were pretty lame: the stepbrothers all got portable chargers for their phones, and my sister in law got some gloves and a beanie. They did seem to like them, but one stepbrother gifted me my first ever Pokemon Funko, because he knew I liked Pokemon. This is a dude I see maybe twice a year, and it was really touching that he even got me anything.

Compare to my brother, who, years ago, with his second job ever, went all out for himself that Xmas, buying a new N64 and several games, and got my mom some $5 KMart lotion and bath set, and got me a $4.99 rubber chicken. For my clown job, he said, all proud, while I held this five inches of stinky rubber. At the time, I was a clown, but I mostly twisted balloon animals, did some magic and face painting, and of course I know the price because he left the sticker on, and even had it "wrapped" in the Kmart bag it came in. The last time we ever exchanged gifts, he gave me an aquarium and stand, which, as a fish keeper, would be an awesome gift, even used, save he passed it over, saying he got a 55 gallon tank now and didn't need this, so I could have it, nasty gravel and all.

See how one gift means more than the other?

My only poo poo thing of the day is that my boss texted me to let me know she sees things on the floor in my work van: new policy dictates that we cannot have ANYTHING in the cab of the van, not even a water bottle. Seeing as it gets over 110* in the summer here, there is NO loving ice pack that will keep a lunch box cold for more than an hour when you leave the lunch box in the back of the van. So I need to find some fake floor panels to cover up my soft sided lunch box.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Astrofig posted:

But how do they expect people to drive the vans without being in the vans?

Aha, well see, we are allowed some things in the cap of the vehicle, like our very heavy cell phone tablets, our binders full of maintenance information, but no lotion, we're not even supposed to have hand sanitizer up there, nothing on the passenger seat not even a Kleenex box. Oh, and no water bottles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Xmas morning started out pretty good, got some good stuff, surprise my mom with a bunch of really fun things, decide to go do a drive-thru downtown to check out the Christmas displays, and play some Pokemon go, and after a 2 minute sit with my car off, now she won't turn on. so now I'm currently waiting for a tow truck which will be here in about 40 minutes, but I can't ride back with the tow truck guy to my house because of covid, so have to arrange for an Uber or just walk back there myself.

No idea what's wrong with the car, it just makes it horrible grinding sound. clicking would be the battery, I literally just had the ignition switch replaced a few months ago. but at least aaa's on the road today, otherwise my car would have to stay here.

And I have to pee.