Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Anyone else do this a lot? I find that it usually makes games a lot more memorable so I do it as often as I can. I'm starting SMTIV:Apocalypse on Hard(WAR) mode right now.

What about easy mode? hopefully no imps choose that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I always do

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I always do, except for map games because I hate being hosed by RNG. If it's a game I don't know very well though I usually end up lowering it a notch or two

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

smt gmes have the worst hard modes imaginable since everything costs a billion times more and does more damage so its just annoying iirc

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

good hardmodes: changing enemy locations or making encounters stronger hell even better ai sometimes, or at least different behavior.

bd hardmodes: making all the enemies bullet sponges and do more damge to u

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

mysterious loyall X posted:

smt gmes have the worst hard modes imaginable since everything costs a billion times more and does more damage so its just annoying iirc

They don't give the enemies more health at least, but you do take twice as much damage. I don't really think that it's annoying, you just have to use everything at your disposal to survive. I never grinded in Nocturne or DDS2's hard modes and I got through them just fine.

My favorite hard modes will always be the ones that remix the enemy layouts and give the bosses new moves or make them faster. So Castlevania Order of Ecclesia has my favorite hard mode. Unfortunately you can't play hard mode from the start in OoE and a lot of other games which is a shame.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i don't get anything out of hard modes, most of the time they are just lovely afterthoughts that just make the game unnecessarily longer. i always go for the regular one since i dont have a lot of time to game and i want to play as many games as i can.

Evil Eagle posted:

My favorite hard modes will always be the ones that remix the enemy layouts and give the bosses new moves or make them faster. So Castlevania Order of Ecclesia has my favorite hard mode. Unfortunately you can't play hard mode from the start in OoE and a lot of other games which is a shame.

i wish this was the norm with many other games... good hard modes and getting to choose them from the start

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i do however like challenge runs like nuzlocke in pokemon, not picking up hearts in zelda. always wanted to try speedrunning a metroid game or getting low completion, but i just love taking my time and collecting poo poo as i play through.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Evil Eagle posted:

Anyone else do this a lot? I find that it usually makes games a lot more memorable so I do it as often as I can. I'm starting SMTIV:Apocalypse on Hard(WAR) mode right now.

War is easy... its peace thats hard...

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Bitter Mushroom posted:

War is easy... its peace thats hard...

Peace isn't an option as you can see.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
If a game makes you play through once to unlock hard mode the hard mode better add some cool poo poo. The bayonetya hard mode is awesome because you start seeing endgame enemies in the first fight of the game and it's pretty short to beat anyways. Stuff like the zelda hero modes being locked behind completion is dumb though , just let me do that my first time through

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
you should basically always start on hard because it usually means there's more problems to solve and solving problems in games is fun

that said there's definitely been a couple of games where i've regretted this though, if the game is really dumb about how it handles difficulties

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

if there 3 modes i do hard, but if theres 4-5+ i usually pick the one right below hardest

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

With SMT IV/A, I really don't use hard mode except the fight with the Fiends

fiber
Nov 18, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Yep and I am super excited for this. I'll probably be done with my first playthrough by the time it hits. I won't be giving up.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Coolguye posted:

you should basically always start on hard because it usually means there's more problems to solve and solving problems in games is fun

that said there's definitely been a couple of games where i've regretted this though, if the game is really dumb about how it handles difficulties

SMT games give you so many different tools to succeed which makes solving bosses in hard mode really fun. I can't get enough of it to be honest.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Evil Eagle posted:

ooe hard mode was cool

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

goferchan posted:

If a game makes you play through once to unlock hard mode the hard mode better add some cool poo poo. The bayonetya hard mode is awesome because you start seeing endgame enemies in the first fight of the game and it's pretty short to beat anyways. Stuff like the zelda hero modes being locked behind completion is dumb though , just let me do that my first time through

making u play thru the tutorial mission to do 3 of the climax attacks or whatever with the upgraded psycho dogs who are immune to witch time is a pain in the frigging rear end but the rest of bayonetta 1 hard mode is cool

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Hard is usually standard mode, and easy/normal is made for kids and older adults with poor reflexes :D

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Kazvall posted:

Hard is usually standard mode, and easy/normal is made for kids and older adults with poor reflexes :D

n00b spotted

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

yes i did play the first doom, it was released just this year. wait, what do you mean there's 3 other games in the series and one of them inspired darkness charlie murphy

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Evil Eagle posted:

SMT games give you so many different tools to succeed which makes solving bosses in hard mode really fun. I can't get enough of it to be honest.

i regretted it on persona 4 tbh

literally the only thing it did was double enemy damage and increase enemy health by like 50%. you can only customize the MC so what this boils down to is keeping buffs up and never being without Yukiko or Teddie when you're not loving around because they've got the buffs and the healing. the entire game took a lot longer than it should have but the fundamentals were identical.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Coolguye posted:

i regretted it on persona 4 tbh

literally the only thing it did was double enemy damage and increase enemy health by like 50%. you can only customize the MC so what this boils down to is keeping buffs up and never being without Yukiko or Teddie when you're not loving around because they've got the buffs and the healing. the entire game took a lot longer than it should have but the fundamentals were identical.

yeah don't play persona on hard mode I agree

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
MGR on hard mode is pretty nice because the game doesn't automatically parry for you.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I like how Fire Emblem does it. It will let you puss out of hard mode mid game but once you do it you can't go back.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tbh I like it better when games are just hard and don't have a setting, like shovel knight or dust force or something.

Soral
May 30, 2009

i pick hard for skill based games like shooters or action games and easy for rng based games unless they have a heavy strategy element. there are too many games to play for me to waste time on dice rolls stacked against me. just what i think

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Soral posted:

i pick hard for skill based games like shooters or action games and easy for rng based games unless they have a heavy strategy element. there are too many games to play for me to waste time on dice rolls stacked against me. just what i think

if you have to play a game on easy to make it playable its probably just a bad game

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I always do this with open world games. I rented far cry primal and started on the hardest difficult + survivor mode (need sleep, no minimap or graphic assistance) and it was fun for like... Two hours?

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
I play normal mode.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

rediscover posted:

I play normal mode.

me too.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

I play the highest difficulty that is unlocked at that start.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Heroic -- the way Halo is meant to be played

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Squeezy Farm posted:

:hai:

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Squeezy Farm posted:

halo is one of the few games where i never played normal

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

mysterious loyall X posted:

yes i did play the first doom, it was released just this year. wait, what do you mean there's 3 other games in the series and one of them inspired darkness charlie murphy

Lol

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I usually do normal, and then if I enjoy the game I'll make a point to go back and play it again on hard, otherwise I don't really have the time/patience to start on hard with every single game.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
i picked hard mode all the time when i was a kid, but these days i usually pick normal, since that's the one that the devs tend to have actually playtested and put thought into. hard/easy difficulties tend to be afterthoughts

obviously there are exceptions (invisible inc is another game where the hardest difficulty is How it's Meant To Be Played), but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
always go for Very Easy, ideally with some sort of baby bonnet or rattle icon. blast through, grab a few cheevos along the way then ship that poo poo back for more gamefly gold

• Locked thread