Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

goferchan posted:

who else spent a looong time in the covenant of champions their first time thru DS2 not knowing what it did

Definitely man. Plus when Frodo drops the ring lmfao and that little goblin dude grabs it like a total idiot? Hahahaha... Such a dumbass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
What was the first Game where you could choose your difficulty? Pretty revolutionary back then.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Is it fascism yet posted:

What was the first Game where you could choose your difficulty? Pretty revolutionary back then.

it was bioshock

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bioshock did so many things first: difficulty choices, dialogue, exploring a 3-D (three dimensional) environment from a first-person perspective, and being able to hijack cars and drive them anywhere.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

I like STALKERs hard difficulty where everything is insanely lethal for everybody

This is a really cool one and makes the game more fun. Its funny that the lower difficulties are probably actually harder because enemies have more health and you need to use more resources to kill them compared to hard mode

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

In Training posted:

This is a really cool one and makes the game more fun. Its funny that the lower difficulties are probably actually harder because enemies have more health and you need to use more resources to kill them compared to hard mode

Clear Skies got really hard at the end at high difficulty because of all of the Monolith guys having pinpoint grenades that killed you instantly. I remember entering a construction site, firing a shot, and seeing six grenade icons pop up on my screen all at once.

Also, having a snork kick your shin and kill you instantly.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 21, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Bobnumerotres posted:

there are times where the enemy health upgrade feels good, like with the metroid prime games. poo poo just goes down really quick on the normal setting, especially bosses.

counterpoint:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PleasingFungus posted:

counterpoint:

the real counterpoint is hard mode boost ball guardian in prime 2

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
the problem with hard mode boost guardian isn't that he takes too long, the problem is that he's insanely vicious

that's cool to me

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's early enough in the game that you're dealing with that and the constant damage from the atmosphere. He's insanely tough

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Every prime 2 boss is better on hard except maybe Alpha Blogg. Unfortunately Prime 2 makes you unlock hard mode by beating Normal. Does the Prime Trilogy start with all difficulties unlocked for all 3 games?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

STALKER's difficulty also wins because the bootleg translation for the Russian version of the game which released early rendered the Master difficulty as Wizard.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Evil Eagle posted:

Every prime 2 boss is better on hard except maybe Alpha Blogg. Unfortunately Prime 2 makes you unlock hard mode by beating Normal. Does the Prime Trilogy start with all difficulties unlocked for all 3 games?

I think so but it also renames the difficulties. I played mp1 on "normal" and it was actually easy, I think. or maybe I just got better

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

probably not, though... I'm not good at video games

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Wormskull posted:

STALKER's difficulty also wins because the bootleg translation for the Russian version of the game which released early rendered the Master difficulty as Wizard.

My favorite bootleg part of STALKER was watching entire groups of people crawl into the fire barrels and die. The first time I found a barrel stuffed full of Duty guys in exoskeletons I thought there was an anomaly or some monster that was about to kill me, and it had me cowering in a corner with my shotgun out for a half minute.

Instead it was just a bunch of Russians getting drunk and falling into a fire, so I guess I can chalk that up to STALKER's AI being unintentionally realistic.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Commoners posted:

Clear Skies got really hard at the end at high difficulty because of all of the Monolith guys having pinpoint grenades that killed you instantly. I remember entering a construction site, firing a shot, and seeing six grenade icons pop up on my screen all at once.

Also, having a snork kick your shin and kill you instantly.

clear sky was really bad

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

mysterious loyall X posted:

clear sky was really bad

I just checked my steam account and I have 6 hours in Clear Sky and 109 in Call of Pripyat.

Me from six years ago agrees.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Clear Sky is good from the beginning to the last 2 maps IMO. The Clear Sky end fight is one of the worst things ever though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I only ever played Clear Sky once but I played SOC and Pripyat lots and lots of times.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

GameCube posted:

I think so but it also renames the difficulties. I played mp1 on "normal" and it was actually easy, I think. or maybe I just got better

The Trilogy has Normal, Veteran and Hypermode as difficulties. You can guess as to what normal really is...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I posted about this last page folks.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Edit: I was also wrong :sweatdrop:

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Wormskull posted:

Clear Sky is good from the beginning to the last 2 maps IMO. The Clear Sky end fight is one of the worst things ever though.

i don't like how the zone is the most dangerous place on earth but it's basically disneyland on a three day weekend in clear sky

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

Edit: I was also wrong :sweatdrop:

I was just wondering if all 3 were unlocked from the start. If I replay the prime trilogy it's gotta be on hard.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I believe so but I don't remember. I can't check either because my I don't have access to my Wii U anymore

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Veteran_Mode

quote:

Veteran Mode is a difficulty level that first appeared in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, but was later applied to the New Play Control! versions of Metroid Prime and
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, and also to all three games in the Metroid Prime Trilogy game.

Veteran is harder than Normal Mode but easier than Hypermode difficulty. It is available from the start of the game, as an alternative to Normal difficulty.

Completing the game with Veteran or Normal selected unlocks Hypermode.

Veteran Mode as it first appeared in Corruption is actually equatable to the Normal mode difficulty in the previous GameCube Prime games. The same thing happens in the Wii versions of Prime and Echoes, where Veteran is the new Normal difficulty, and "Normal" is in fact an easier version.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
tricking people into playing easy mode is wrong

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

metroid prime wasn't even very hard what is this

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

metroid prime wasn't even very hard what is this

The hubris of Millenial stupidity and etc and so on and here we are

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Wormskull posted:

if the ballistics weren't so hosed up id be inclined to like it a lot more. i thought it was really cool coming from soc and seeing how all the maps and factions were spread out and how things got to be the way they are as a result of scar's involvement, like agroprom underground getting all hosed up because he floods it or how the military jeep got under the bridge near the rookie camp. fighting through limansk is probably my favorite sequence from all three

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

The hubris of Millenial stupidity and etc and so on and here we are

a playstation trophy for participation

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

elf help book posted:

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/game/guilty-gear-xrd-sign-ps4/trophy/101405-Game-Install.html

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

elf help book posted:

a lot of fighting games give you a bronze trophy for you first multiplayer match

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

this

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

It's not an achievement but I keep getting titles like "THE UNBEATABLE GOD" after online matches in KoF XIV and I've won maybe 3 matches total.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

in prime 2 and 3 there's some arenas and bosses that can def kick your rear end on hard, enemy damage goes up a lot.

and yeah on GC boost ball guardian was just broken, idk if i was disappointed or relieved that they declawed him on trilogy

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

god tier hard modes: mgs2/bayo 1+2 where there's flat out new enemies and bosses get new attacks

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
hardest difficulty available on rhythm games, normal otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
i usually find normal harder than hard in rhythm games because it can be hard to tell which beats were left out

• Locked thread