Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Donkey Konga on easy mode is a nightmare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

no they will not posted:

i usually find normal harder than hard in rhythm games because it can be hard to tell which beats were left out

Sometimes the opposite happens and they add notes that don't really correspond to beats in hardest. I remember this happening sometimes in Theatrhythm and it tripped me up.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah I reinstalled Curtain Call the other day and the music and the presentation and the meta game stuff is all really cool but as a rhythm game it's just not that good lol

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

I.N.R.I posted:

the cake belongs to the guy u quoted unfortunately. otherwise everyone can just quote him for unlimited amounts of rare cake,. maybe a sticky thread explaining this is required since its not very intuitive. :hai:

drat....the search continues...

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

and it's probably not the first instance of this but i remember losing my mind when perfect dark changed up mission events based on difficulty, like the rescue mission where you protect the negotiator but on hard you're disguised as the negotiator

Sekret
Dec 6, 2001
Curse you, Massive Genitals!
On the few games I've worked on, the hard mode was always added much later in development and received significantly less testing than normal. I tend to play games on normal first because I know that more effort probably went into making it a fun/fair experience.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sekret posted:

On the few games I've worked on, the hard mode was always added much later in development and received significantly less testing than normal. I tend to play games on normal first because I know that more effort probably went into making it a fun/fair experience.

The names of the games?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

In Training posted:

Sometimes the opposite happens and they add notes that don't really correspond to beats in hardest. I remember this happening sometimes in Theatrhythm and it tripped me up.

that's when you shut the game off and return it for a refund because that is some freaking crap

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Every game difficulty is just
Easy
Easy
OK
Co-op
now.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Flannelette posted:

Every game difficulty is just
Easy
Easy
OK
Co-op
now.

Those are the Halo difficulties. I'm going to try and beat Legendary solo pretty soon.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Halo 1 Legendary is awesome because the AI is more aggressive and the ones that speak English taunt you

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

If I could have one useless video game power, it'd be the ability to be able to play on max difficulty for any game I play

I mean like including the SUPER HARD MODE poo poo most games unlock behind you beating them once, I'd want to play those from the start

But not out any hardcore sentiment it's more a pathological dislike of the fact the hardest mode often has the most unlocks or secret endings or whatever behind them and I just want my shot at them first thing

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

mysterious loyall X posted:

good hardmodes: changing enemy locations or making encounters stronger hell even better ai sometimes, or at least different behavior.

bd hardmodes: making all the enemies bullet sponges and do more damge to u

Good Hardmodes: Games made by Platinum,
Bad Hardmodes: Games not made by Platinum

I like hardmodes like Bayonetta or DMC where the game basically lets you do NG+ but tunes the difficulty around that

Like Bayo 1 difficulty felt like Hard mission 1 starts off right after Normal last mission which is good

I need to finish Bayo 2 on the hardest mode

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

goferchan posted:

Yeah I reinstalled Curtain Call the other day and the music and the presentation and the meta game stuff is all really cool but as a rhythm game it's just not that good lol

The world needs more Elite Beat Agents.

AWESOME GHOST also speaks the truth. Platinum hard modes are awesome.

Hard modes I like: add more enemies with new abilities, make the player more fragile without buffing enemies much, take away some character abilities that are a crutch on easier modes
Hard modes I hate: turn enemies into huge HP sinks (sadly the default for most games)

EDIT: \/ Halo is indeed another great example of hard difficulty done right

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 25, 2016

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Halo hard modes are cool (or at least used to be, i haven't played new ones) -- they switch up enemy placement and AI a lot

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My favorite is how the enemies have different voice lines in halo 1 for each difficulty

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm going to start up Legendary on Halo CE PC right now.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Evil Eagle posted:

I'm going to start up Legendary on Halo CE PC right now.

Man it kills me that that game never got internet co op added

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Any triple a shitpile gets put on hard mode for me since they're usually made for Games style noobs who spend all day following wiki walkthroughs.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Any triple a shitpile gets put on hard mode for me since they're usually made for Games style noobs who spend all day following wiki walkthroughs.

Edgyyyy.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

It's the truth and what I believe. gently caress you.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Actually starting to wish YOSPOS still had a bideo shames thread...

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

You're such a jackass.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

hmm.. i think if youre playing those games often then theyre really made for your demographic, no? :-]

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I.N.R.I posted:

hmm.. i think if youre playing those games often then theyre really made for your demographic, no? :-]

I play them, but on hard and without looking at gameFAQs.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
You play men's assholes.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Every prime 2 boss is better on hard except maybe Alpha Blogg. Unfortunately Prime 2 makes you unlock hard mode by beating Normal. Does the Prime Trilogy start with all difficulties unlocked for all 3 games?

It took me too long to figure out that you couldn't beat the grapple guardian unless you scanned it.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I've been trying to play Battle Brothers on hard mode ironman and having my army of peasant recruits get butchered by goblins and bandit raiders is turning into a trend. If I buy too many peasants I have a bunch of naked guys running around with pitchforks and pocket knives, and if I buy too much equipment I end up with too few numbers to fight. :saddowns:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I believe in you. Don't give up.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coolguye posted:

Man it kills me that that game never got internet co op added

Custom edition has co-op maps.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

Really? How does that work?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Larry Parrish posted:

of the campaign? that never worked, right?

i have like 3 friends that would love to rock the campaign again, but that never really worked i thought.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't remember if the actual campaign was ever made fully compatible... But custom edition let you have NPCs, so there were a few maps intended to be 2-4 players which were regular coop maps but unfortunately couldn't be as well scripted as the campaign. They were fun though.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember one which had be long sword fighter with like, a pilot and a bomber and a tail gunner, and you flew around blowing up wraith tanks and banshees

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I play them, but on hard and without looking at gameFAQs.

Wow that's badass bitch.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Knuc playing far cry 4 without reading the game faqs page that reads "kill all the guys and go to the minimap thing": good thing I'm not. Casual

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

no they will not posted:

Knuc playing far cry 4 without reading the game faqs page that reads "kill all the guys and go to the minimap thing": good thing I'm not. Casual

Don't make me dig up your posts crying over the witness puzzles, oval office.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Don't make me dig up your posts crying over the witness puzzles, oval office.

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

no they will not posted:

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
If knuc is actually able to find a post where I brag about completing the witness without even having to google what a keyboard is I will apologize fully

• Locked thread