Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Homework Explainer posted:

and it's probably not the first instance of this but i remember losing my mind when perfect dark changed up mission events based on difficulty, like the rescue mission where you protect the negotiator but on hard you're disguised as the negotiator

This poo poo blew my mind as a kid, and I can't think of many games that flat out changed mission structure based on the difficulty settings.

I don't usually play a game on hard mode for starters unless it's just riddled with hand-holding poo poo like x-ray vision on normal mode

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

X-Ray vision is my least favorite recent design trend

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

In Training posted:

it especially sucks when its implemented in such a way you can't really get away with not using it but you still feel gay when you do

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

loving Metroid Prime...

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Your new avatar makes your posts look really badass and brooding. Especially when they got ...

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

it makes sense in arkham because you need to be able to scout the enemy freely or the enemy would have a tremendous advantage, but it just doesn't fit in a lot of other games

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

In Training posted:

probably the worst part of Witcher 3

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

it makes sense in arkham because you need to be able to scout the enemy freely or the enemy would have a tremendous advantage, but it just doesn't fit in a lot of other games

I think the problem is that instead of people making games with good perspective and map design they just add click L3 to see where every enemy is at all time

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
Imagine if you could do that IRL for a sec... Yeah, I know it's awesome. Did someone say panties?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

I think the problem is that instead of people making games with good perspective and map design they just add click L3 to see where every enemy is at all time

they took out looking through keyholes and poo poo in the new hitman in favor of batvision lol. it's still a great game but drat man

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Bobnumerotres posted:

they took out looking through keyholes and poo poo in the new hitman in favor of batvision lol. it's still a great game but drat man

ya that's one of the few things wrong with Hitman (2016)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

I turned off all the UI once i played the tutorial

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Bobnumerotres posted:

I've been waiting for all the chapters to come out and get patched before buying it but drat. So long as you can toggle it off whenever then it's no problem, but it's extra weird in games like Hitman or MGS where observing enemy movement patterns is kinda what you're signing up for.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

yeah hitman (2016) has a bunch of modern AAA bs in it like batvision and telling you exactly what to do and how to proceed with "questlines" to kill the target in certain ways, but you can flip everything off.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i would even be okay with it in hitman if it had really short range, like people you could reasonably hear closeby anyhow but nope it's an unlimited wallhack

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I've been waiting for all the chapters to come out and get patched before buying it but drat. So long as you can toggle it off whenever then it's no problem, but it's extra weird in games like Hitman or MGS where observing enemy movement patterns is kinda what you're signing up for.

Didn't read this but the name + avatar is epic my man.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

lmao

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

i would even be okay with it in hitman if it had really short range, like people you could reasonably hear closeby anyhow but nope it's an unlimited wallhack

Speaking of it drives me insane when games don't have good footprint sounds. Like how counter strike has these really specific sounds that tell you what people are doing and it's almost as important as being able to aim good. Then you have COD where you make the same jangle sound whether you're just looking or moving or sprinting

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

Speaking of it drives me insane when games don't have good footprint sounds. Like how counter strike has these really specific sounds that tell you what people are doing and it's almost as important as being able to aim good. Then you have COD where you make the same jangle sound whether you're just looking or moving or sprinting

Alien isolation had incredibly good sound design and one of the best parts was making the aliens footsteps so drat loud that you can triangulate exactly where it is almost all the time without touching the motion sensor

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Halo on Legendary solo is hard as balls. I'm stuck on the first room of the covenant ship that has enemies spawning from 4 different directions with instakill sword elites that seem to spawn randomly. I had to give up for tonight.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

playing the Xbox 360 style of FPS aka halo cod etc on the hardest difficulty ftw. that feel when you and 2 other bros are trying to win on legendary

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

rediscover posted:

playing the Xbox 360 style of FPS aka halo cod etc on the hardest difficulty ftw. that feel when you and 2 other bros are trying to win on legendary

Hell yeah. When you get one shotted so you make one friend hide til you respawn. Only ever did the halo grind, never tried it in cod.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

it's more fun in halo i think

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

rediscover posted:

And when one bro's semi flops out the hole in his boxer shorts and you snatch a peek ftw.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Knuc U Kinte posted:

And when one bro's semi flops out the hole in his boxer shorts and you snatch a peek ftw.

A peek. Hell nah homie I'm going stones deep the second he presents himself to me

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Wormskull posted:

Didn't read this but the name + avatar is epic my man.

lol

Sharkopath posted:

Alien isolation had incredibly good sound design and one of the best parts was making the aliens footsteps so drat loud that you can triangulate exactly where it is almost all the time without touching the motion sensor

Alien Isolation has probably the best difficulty scale of any game in the last few years. On one end you have a haunted house tour where you're in zero danger. On the other end you're hunted mercilessly by the alien and resource management is crucial. The AI for the alien in Nightmare mode seemed like it had lots of subtle improvements over the Normal difficulty in how it hunts you too.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Alien Isolation has some of the best sound design I've ever heard in a game. Might just be the best, straight up. It's a masterclass on how to create atmosphere with sound and music.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Monkey Island 3 had a cool hard mode. It didn't change the story of the game or anything, but most of the puzzles had extra steps you had to do in order to accomplish the same things.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Aloen Isolation is a underrated.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

Aloen Isolation is a underrated.

This is the most poorly written post I have EVER seen. You were a mod?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's pretty long and the alien stops being as big a threat once you learn all its weird tricks and hangups but I'll say its definitely the best horror game in the unstoppable monster mold since clock tower.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Wormskull posted:

This is the most poorly written post I have EVER seen. You were a mod?

There's nothing wrong with it- it makes it its' point clear and consisely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Finished RE0 on hard and it was so good that I'm going to play every RE game that I play in the future on hard if I'm given the option to.

• Locked thread