Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Anyone else do this a lot? I find that it usually makes games a lot more memorable so I do it as often as I can. I'm starting SMTIV:Apocalypse on Hard(WAR) mode right now.

What about easy mode? hopefully no imps choose that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

mysterious loyall X posted:

smt gmes have the worst hard modes imaginable since everything costs a billion times more and does more damage so its just annoying iirc

They don't give the enemies more health at least, but you do take twice as much damage. I don't really think that it's annoying, you just have to use everything at your disposal to survive. I never grinded in Nocturne or DDS2's hard modes and I got through them just fine.

My favorite hard modes will always be the ones that remix the enemy layouts and give the bosses new moves or make them faster. So Castlevania Order of Ecclesia has my favorite hard mode. Unfortunately you can't play hard mode from the start in OoE and a lot of other games which is a shame.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Bitter Mushroom posted:

War is easy... its peace thats hard...

Peace isn't an option as you can see.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Yep and I am super excited for this. I'll probably be done with my first playthrough by the time it hits. I won't be giving up.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Coolguye posted:

you should basically always start on hard because it usually means there's more problems to solve and solving problems in games is fun

that said there's definitely been a couple of games where i've regretted this though, if the game is really dumb about how it handles difficulties

SMT games give you so many different tools to succeed which makes solving bosses in hard mode really fun. I can't get enough of it to be honest.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Coolguye posted:

i regretted it on persona 4 tbh

literally the only thing it did was double enemy damage and increase enemy health by like 50%. you can only customize the MC so what this boils down to is keeping buffs up and never being without Yukiko or Teddie when you're not loving around because they've got the buffs and the healing. the entire game took a lot longer than it should have but the fundamentals were identical.

yeah don't play persona on hard mode I agree

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

HolePisser1982 posted:

always go for Very Easy, ideally with some sort of baby bonnet or rattle icon. blast through, grab a few cheevos along the way then ship that poo poo back for more gamefly gold

Don't forget to sell your steam trading cards as well.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I big reason I play hard is that I know that I'm probably not going to replay most games, so I get the most out of a game by playing hard first.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

goferchan posted:

who else spent a looong time in the covenant of champions their first time thru DS2 not knowing what it did

I did but I knew what it did.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Every prime 2 boss is better on hard except maybe Alpha Blogg. Unfortunately Prime 2 makes you unlock hard mode by beating Normal. Does the Prime Trilogy start with all difficulties unlocked for all 3 games?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

GameCube posted:

I think so but it also renames the difficulties. I played mp1 on "normal" and it was actually easy, I think. or maybe I just got better

The Trilogy has Normal, Veteran and Hypermode as difficulties. You can guess as to what normal really is...

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

Edit: I was also wrong :sweatdrop:

I was just wondering if all 3 were unlocked from the start. If I replay the prime trilogy it's gotta be on hard.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

It's not an achievement but I keep getting titles like "THE UNBEATABLE GOD" after online matches in KoF XIV and I've won maybe 3 matches total.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Donkey Konga on easy mode is a nightmare

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Flannelette posted:

Every game difficulty is just
Easy
Easy
OK
Co-op
now.

Those are the Halo difficulties. I'm going to try and beat Legendary solo pretty soon.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm going to start up Legendary on Halo CE PC right now.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I believe in you. Don't give up.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

Custom edition has co-op maps.

Really? How does that work?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

nrook posted:

Boost guardian on hard wasn't that bad babies

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

X-Ray vision is my least favorite recent design trend

loving Metroid Prime...

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Halo on Legendary solo is hard as balls. I'm stuck on the first room of the covenant ship that has enemies spawning from 4 different directions with instakill sword elites that seem to spawn randomly. I had to give up for tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Finished RE0 on hard and it was so good that I'm going to play every RE game that I play in the future on hard if I'm given the option to.

• Locked thread