Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Fifa 16 was arguably the worst edition of the game in modern times. After complaints over lovely gameplay meant to give bad players a get out of jail free card defensively, a terrible passing system, little attention being paid to non-fut game modes, and the fact that many of the core facets of the game went unexplained for years it seems EA is trying to right some wrongs this year.

Gameplay- judging from the demo: auto interceptions have been toned down drastically, passing is smoother, and goalies are no longer pyschic when it comes to through balls. Will this make it into the actual game? who knows.

Depth of game modes- pro clubs has received a fresh coat of paint and the lovely leveling system has been revamped. Fut career mode now has a story driven mode called the "journey" which will be more in line with other sports game franchises like the nba2k series. Fut as well has gotten more additions to keep the mode fresh including the new weekly tournaments called FUT Champions that (theoretically) pit the best against the best for prizes. All participants will receive some kind of reward however. Some of the FUT roster have now also received dynamic style cards that will increase if the player does well in real life.

The mysteries of momentum, scripting, chemistry bugs etc.- EA have actually (surprisingly released information that should help players better understand the effects of chemistry and chemistry styles
Explainer here - https://www.easports.com/fifa/ultimate-team/tips-and-tricks/how-chemistry-works-in-fut-17
Chemistry style explicit benefits here - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hs6p-ur6JQfJSxLI37iaWV6bUqgwd6LC6y6Y1tQEwV8/pubhtml
Players also now have a "composure" stat which could explain why certain players turn into garbage at certain points of the game... who knows

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9LHzVEPodg

New engine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYjD78X1d9Q

Useful links
http://www.futhead.com/ the best site for accessing the fut database and building squads
http://www.futbin.com/ the best site for tracking fut player prices
http://sofifa.com/players/top the best site for career mode information

Space reserved for future meltdowns

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Edit: nm, I just c\ped from the last thread. Beaten in the op.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I will bitch about this game to no end yet still play it more than anything else.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I will stop playing this game quickly, yet constantly come bitch in the thread anyway.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

T Bowl posted:

I will bitch about this game to no end yet still play it more than anything else.

RCarr posted:

I will stop playing this game quickly, yet constantly come bitch in the thread anyway.

These are the only two types of fifa players. Welcome

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Hope they tone down passing in the first patch, I think they overdid it a bit. It's way too easy to get it to people now and the defense doesn't try quite hard enough to get it I think.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
So far I've enjoyed being able to walk up and down the sideline during a throw-in. That seems nice.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I'm gonna win a million dollars playing this game this year.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

Hope they tone down passing in the first patch, I think they overdid it a bit. It's way too easy to get it to people now and the defense doesn't try quite hard enough to get it I think.

I think you're probably just overreacting coming from fifa 16. I love the passing. I've always been really good at defense though, it's my biggest strength, so anything that makes it less assisted for other people is a plus for me. The Futhead database is up now but I still can't use the webapp for some reason.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Seltzer posted:

I think you're probably just overreacting coming from fifa 16. I love the passing. I've always been really good at defense though, it's my biggest strength, so anything that makes it less assisted for other people is a plus for me. The Futhead database is up now but I still can't use the webapp for some reason.

Some dude posted on Reddit that he talked to the webchat and they selected people at random to gain access so the servers don't get overloaded, lame if it's true.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Seltzer posted:

Nah, it's really super easy. I'm pretty good at passing and it makes it way too easy to do a buildup, you can pretty easily do passes that the defense should have a good chance on where the defense doesn't react, and the passes are too accurate when you're facing away from the direction you're passing. The lack of pace on passes in 16 was ridiculous but the one thing it did right was punish you for passing opposite your body and stuff and they went a little too far reverting that.

I mean I'm also a defensive guy and I feel like it's going to make it nearly impossible to defend good passers. I doubt my pass % will be lower than 90 too often in games and any other decent Division 1 player is gonna be the same. I feel like I put a lot of work into learning to pass effectively and it's gonna make it too easy for people to get sort of ok at it then get bailed out by the game.

Just curious, what do you mean by really good at defending? Like, below 1 goal a game or what are we talkin

I think I'm like average at it, I conceded like 1.4 a game which is not great but I was experimenting with playing really high pressure later in the year and conceded a lot when I was figuring it out.

I found a dude on youtube who's pretty insane, conceded .4 goals a game over tons of games (in which he won like 100% of his games), he has some pretty decent videos on defending:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a0IIpGR-j4

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 20, 2016

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Why do you think that the demo or even the beta will be the same as the full game, please stop.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I mean for last year it was closer than it was different

We all said in the beta of 16 "normal A passes are too lovely and have no pace, defenders work to get the ball way more than your players" and guess what

Granted, the 16 beta had more of a stuck in the mud feeling when dribbling than the final game, but the problems with passing from the 16 beta and demo lasted from day 1 until the end, so I mean yeah it might change but it also might not!

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Anyone got any good starter squads? I'm thinking of going for this one.

Ekici looks great, 5* wf and 90 freekicks. Solid defense, quick balanced midfield. Bruma has been overpowered every year and Visca got a nice upgrade (good finishing and agility). Demir looks like a really great pick up, 4* skills and good passing is nice in a one striker formation. He is a bit weak and small so if headers are back I can pay a bit more and slot in Aboubakar. Overall I think the squad will be very cheap and the only players I expect to cost anything are Ekici and Bruma

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 23, 2016

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
web app up, but no access to transfer market

ludicrous

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

vivisectvnv posted:

web app up, but no access to transfer market

ludicrous

Everythings fine for me

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
Yeah same here, just took them a while.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

EA early Access is up which I have because it helped knock an extra 10% of the game price. I built a pretty good Brazilian starter squad and the only player that cost anything was Pato for 2k. I don't do much trading but coins go a long way at the moment and no one knows players prices are so I'm gonna look to snatch some valuable players up. Apparently desirable players prices spike when the game launches in Europe people start to actually have coins.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Im not doing any trading as Im keeping everyone for the swap a squad feature once the game launches

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
So my xbox one died but I've got an ancient gtx660 in my comp, which just so happens to fall under the recommended specs for Fifa 17. I've never played any of the previous titles on the PC before, so I've got a few questions.

1) Is the PC community active? And is there crossplay with consoles in matchmaking and the like?
2) Will my lovely GTX660 actually run this well enough to have it looking sexy or am I going to be playing at 20 FPS with FIFA 13 graphics?
3) Am I dumb to buy this on PC instead of just waiting to fix my xbone?

Like this PC has been my dedicated FM/Grand strat machine for years now with it's beefy processor (i7, SSD, etc) but the graphics card isn't really that good anymore so I tend to not buy anything graphics intensive on it. So I've no idea how it'll run... I think the most intensive game I've run on it recently would be BF4 and like Shadow of Mordor but neither of which were at their highest settings.

Anyways what do you all think?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

8bitlawd posted:

So my xbox one died but I've got an ancient gtx660 in my comp, which just so happens to fall under the recommended specs for Fifa 17. I've never played any of the previous titles on the PC before, so I've got a few questions.

1) Is the PC community active? And is there crossplay with consoles in matchmaking and the like?
2) Will my lovely GTX660 actually run this well enough to have it looking sexy or am I going to be playing at 20 FPS with FIFA 13 graphics?
3) Am I dumb to buy this on PC instead of just waiting to fix my xbone?

Like this PC has been my dedicated FM/Grand strat machine for years now with it's beefy processor (i7, SSD, etc) but the graphics card isn't really that good anymore so I tend to not buy anything graphics intensive on it. So I've no idea how it'll run... I think the most intensive game I've run on it recently would be BF4 and like Shadow of Mordor but neither of which were at their highest settings.

Anyways what do you all think?

1. It's a fraction of the size of the console communities and FUT is rife with cheaters (they terminate the match as soon as it starts and get themselves a win. largely it's just an inconvenience) but there are still thousands of people playing all the popular game modes. Sometimes when we played pro clubs we'd face the same club several times in a row though, stuff like that.
2. I have a GTX780 and a core i7-4820k, I run 16 at a constant 250FPS, you'll probably be able to run it at max settings and get at solid framerate. it will actually run much better than it would on the xbox 1 most likely.
3. That's kind of up to you to decide, in the xbox you'll have an easier time finding low-latency matches, it really depends on your preferences, I found I prefer to play FIFA on my PC as I watch TV shows and movies on the secondary monitor.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Definitely play it on console if you can, is my advice.

Also, I spent the 4 bucks for a month of EA access on pc and spent some time with the story mode, it's pretty drat cool but they cut you off right when poo poo starts getting good it seems like.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
FIFA 2001 had a scratch-and-sniff disc? Can anyone remember this?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
This is the first time I've had the app before getting the game. I signed in and got some free packs and stuff, so I have a plethora of crappy bronze/silver/gold players.

Is it possible to make any coins now before the game is live? Is it better to wait for the game to be out before I list these dudes? I wouldn't mind putting a crappy bronze team together for the time being and just selling everyone else I have to start building coins.

Edit: I got Altidore in a pack so I'm going to be pretty much unbeatable.

DoctaFun fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 22, 2016

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

You can do the squad building poo poo on the app atm. It's a bit fiddly but from the few I've done it definitely seems worth it, you can get a few gold all players pack from your shitter bronzes and silvers. I've done about 4 challenges and the best players I got from the rewards are Renato Sanches, Toprak and Benteke

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

You can do the squad building poo poo on the app atm. It's a bit fiddly but from the few I've done it definitely seems worth it, you can get a few gold all players pack from your shitter bronzes and silvers. I've done about 4 challenges and the best players I got from the rewards are Renato Sanches, Toprak and Benteke

How does this work exactly? You use squad builder to build squads and you earn packs from that somehow?

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

DoctaFun posted:

How does this work exactly? You use squad builder to build squads and you earn packs from that somehow?

In a nutshell you have to build squads using your own players that meet certain criterias, they start easy but get harder (ie ten nation challenges, 100 chem, amount of rares, overall team rating) once you're happy with your squad you submit it and the game then removes all the players from your club permentantly and you recieve different awards. Most of the time it's packs & coins that are better than what you put into it but there's also challenges that give you a special Jonas and Giovinco card. It's basically a balancing act in trying to meet the criteria for the challenges while using your least valued players

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

In a nutshell you have to build squads using your own players that meet certain criterias, they start easy but get harder (ie ten nation challenges, 100 chem, amount of rares, overall team rating) once you're happy with your squad you submit it and the game then removes all the players from your club permentantly and you recieve different awards. Most of the time it's packs & coins that are better than what you put into it but there's also challenges that give you a special Jonas and Giovinco card. It's basically a balancing act in trying to meet the criteria for the challenges while using your least valued players

Sounds like an awesome way to get rid of useless dudes. I feel like an idiot, but I can't find anything like that on the web app. Where do I go to try that?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Yea it's fun and I've spent quite a bit of time with it on the early access. In essence you are still paying for packs (the 11 gold players you discard didn't cost nothing) but at a discounted price and also the reward cards are very cool. I need to get the Giovinco card because Giovinco in a false 9 has been one of my top squads for 3 years now.

I've only played a couple of games but so far I like 16. There's definitely a lot to get used to. Throughballs are a lot less accurate (I'm gonna be cynical and assume this is due to them introducing a new type of throughball I have to learn) however standard passing is more accurate and you don't need the driven pass to get to far away players. Weak players feel especially weak this year and give up the ball a lot more without drawing fouls it seems. Dribbling seems a bit more difficult/stiffer which I don't like but maybe I just have to get used to it. No more autodefending in the midfield and defense is harder as a whole. The bonus is CDMs and CBs feel very important. The downside is with the easier passing boring tiki taka seems real easy at the moment. I have not got shooting down at all but keepers feel shittier in general across the board. Mine have let in a lot of shots that were taken striaght at them or close to them which rarely ever happened in 16. Pace feels slightly better and knockons are easier to control than last year. Oh and your players seem to gas out even quicker this year if they have low stamina.

The biggest downside at the moment that will definitely have to be patched is the rate of injury and how you deal with it. It's hovering around one player a game for me and this is the first year they force you to sub the player online in FUT. It's really lovely imo and you end up needing a backup squad for your backup squad. If it was to punish people using bronze benches they should've just changed how they calculate team's overall ratings by only taking into account 3 players on the bench or something.

e- People are saying the journey is fun but I haven't touched it

Spoiler regarding the journey and fut. You get an Alex Hunter fut card at the end of the mode based on your play and attribute selections. Apparently it's not very high rated but it's a pacy card and very easy to get to 5* skills 5* weakfoot

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 23, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Just shoot driven shot far post every time with like 2-3 bars of power, that's insanely the best finish this year

You can also finesse driven shot which is also real good inside the box

Edit:

Like here's a goal I scored in the demo where the angle shouldn't be impossible or anything but I think should be pretty low % but these go in all the time, as long as you're like closer than a little bit inside the box these are really high %, these low far post shots. I mean mainly I just thought it would have a good chance of a corner or a dangerous rebound but if you get the hang of doing these they go in a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfMT2fEszPE&t=881s

You can also see in this video how ridiculously easy it is to just pass it around now

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 23, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

Just shoot driven shot far post every time with like 2-3 bars of power, that's insanely the best finish this year

You can also finesse driven shot which is also real good inside the box

Edit:

Like here's a goal I scored in the demo where the angle shouldn't be impossible or anything but I think should be pretty low % but these go in all the time, as long as you're like closer than a little bit inside the box these are really high %, these low far post shots. I mean mainly I just thought it would have a good chance of a corner or a dangerous rebound but if you get the hang of doing these they go in a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfMT2fEszPE&t=881s

You can also see in this video how ridiculously easy it is to just pass it around now

I thought driven shot in this game just meant pressing B, what's a driven finesse shot then? Also thanks for the tip I need to break the habit of finessing every shot and going near post all the time.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Driven pass is where you hit shoot again after you charge the shot, so it's hold shoot -> charge up to 2-3 bars -> hit shoot again

You can just hold RB while doing so to do a hard low curved shot which is reeeeal strong

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Here's two more goals from that same replay video where you can see me doing the driven far post shot and it worked both times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfMT2fEszPE&t=196s

I actually feel like it's so strong it might increase my average goals a game by a lot because I have a playstyle where I don't take that many shots but I try to make them all really high % shots, and this year with the driven far post shot you actually can get an incredibly high % in those really dangerous spots

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 23, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Just went on a 4 or 5 game win streak tonight. Got into div 9. It was pretty hard though to be fair since a lot of people on EA access are good and everyone is starting from the bottom. I'm really liking that pace is back. It seems to me that the players pace in comparison to eachother is similar to last year but the main difference is that you can actually sprint dribble with the ball without having to do knock ons non stop. Last year Aubameyang would get caught by 50 pace CBs if they had 15 yards to catch him. Every player turned to molasses on the ball unless you had someone with high dribbling and you used a ton of knock ons.

I took your advice on shooting and I had a bit more success, especially going far post on the ground. My tactic of using players with good curve and cutting in at a wide angle and finessing far post works again this year too. I still am gonna need awhile to dial in the shooting though. I haven't messed with longshots or headers at all but from what I've seen headers should be back which I'm happy about.

After playing a bit more I think they have the carding/penalties down pretty fair but I think they should call more non-bookable offences. As I said earlier weaker players are getting battered and nothing is really being called. Also the injuries really need to be toned down a lot. I bought Adriano from the K-league for my Brazil squad. two games in and he's out injured for two games. Two more games in and he's out for five games now. A +5 foot healing card costs essentially the same as his card costs. It's stupid. Also of course Pato picked up a two game knock during the games I was playing.

I think workrates are more noticeable this year. At least High/Low is very noticeable based on my experience with Pato. It seems to be a good thing to have again on strikers. I'd recommend Pato as a cheap pick up for a Brazil/Liga squad. However the one player that has impressed me the most so far is Kampl.

http://www.futhead.com/17/players/22227/kevin-kampl/

His defensive stats are low but in they are spread out two stats that count (stand tackle and interceptions). His finishing is a bit low but just high enough to score in the box from time to time. Everything else is great. High/High workrates. He runs all game and is an amazing, quick, playmaker. Definitely get him early on for a Bundesliga side.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 23, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think I posted that injuries were way too high during the beta as did a bunch of other people on the EA forums, guess they didn't do anything about it :(

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I'd bet a lot that they'll patch injuries to be less frequent basically right away.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Okay so tabbing out of FIFA or clicking on a different window will just drop your connection from online matches instantly, both on FUT and in pro-clubs. What the gently caress EA?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Okay so tabbing out of FIFA or clicking on a different window will just drop your connection from online matches instantly, both on FUT and in pro-clubs. What the gently caress EA?

Oh my god this bug is back, really.

This is some fifa 13 or 14 poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's gonna be a pain in pro clubs now that they removed the origin chat rooms you could access from within the game, going to have to switch to voice chat or use our smartphones.

It's also super stupid cause there's a ton of apps that automatically pop to foreground like iTunes. I hope this gets fixed soon.

• Locked thread