Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
If the opponent rage quits in Pro Clubs you don't get XP or skill points :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
So after I had some space in my last FUT online Match, I scored an "impossible" goal with a 55 ovr and 36 longshot rated player in my third match.

http://www.futhead.com/17/players/45951/dren-feka/
Dren Feka has the 6th WORST longshot value of the Bundesliga Midfielders and gave me that:
https://streamable.com/ez4o

I feel like I won the game already.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
How much money have you spent

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Played 9.5 hours of pro clubs today, I think my legs may have blood clots

Verdict: it's the same stupid/fun game as ever. I like the new way of building your player rather than the old way.

The AI is still absolute horseshit.

NattyBo fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 28, 2016

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

NattyBo posted:

Verdict: it's the same stupid/fun game as ever. I like the new way of building your player rather than the old way.

So if I haven't played in a few years and want to play again this one would be fine to purchase?

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

NattyBo posted:

The new leveling system is way better now instead of having to focus on doing certain dumb things.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
rpl starter squad is killing it for me, went on a bit of a bender after work and went like 11-1-1

ludicrous smolov overhead off of a corner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ82gnKPCvA

dzyuba from 25ish yards
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y12KsJXA7SU

eremenko smashing it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIN4uhbklas

strength on the ball seems to be really overpowered for players with good physical stats, really easy to muscle players while in possession

current squad: http://www.futhead.com/17/squads/499641/

just saving up for promes now, might swap in corluka as well at cb

vivisectvnv fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 28, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I put 40k into buying balotelli for about 1.7k right before this totw. He's gonna be extinct and selling for his max of 10k easily since he's been in packs for only one week and Europe is getting the game tomorrow. I just made like 100k from the lowest risk possible. Promes NIF was extinct yesterday and that's a Russian league winger, not Balotelli (I know NIF Promes was in packs a much shorter time but still).

Anyways, since the gap between good dribblers and bad dribblers isn't that pronounced this year and now that strength is overpowered, I went back to one of my favorite players from fifa 13 and have been destroying. Lacina Traore + finisher chem is amazing, it's almost a joke. I'm not a huge fan of the gameplay as a whole but exploiting it with Traore is a lot of fun. He wins every header (obviously) and is surprisingly decent at dribbling and shooting. He's basically Dzyuba but a little quicker and +3 inches in height. I don't notice his 31 balance at all, that's how stupid dribbling and strength is this year, he always keeps the ball unless it's tackled away.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Went ahead and qualified for weekend league and was all happy then realized it doesn't even start until next weekend :(

It occurred to me it's probably not gonna be that hard to qualify most weekends since by the end of the week all the good players will have qualified already so you're mostly playing against people who couldn't in their first few tries, or I guess a few random people who like tournaments better than season (as far as I know online tournaments other than weekend league are gone altogether)

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

The Journey is pretty fun. It's like 2k's MyCareer but you don't get to play dress-up with Alex Hunter

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Whats the deal with ps4 parms, how can I get in on that.

e: I'm euro timezone, psn is the same name as here.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 29, 2016

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I picked this up two days ago and I'm having a lot of trouble adjusting from '16. A few things I've noticed so far.

-Seems like there is a lot of input lag for me. Trying to do one-touch passes is frustrating as I have to hit 'x' waaayyy before the ball gets to my player. Same thing goes for headers(especially in the box).

-Physicality is definitely re-worked, but almost too much. Defenders are literally brick walls if you run into them without the ball, your player doesn't really bounce off or make an effort to get past them, they just come to a complete stop and are useless for a few seconds afterwards.

-Everything just feels kind of....slow. Also, the default view of the pitch seems like it's further away than before or something, I don't think it looks as good as 2016 to be honest.

-Still getting used to through balls as you actually have to power them up a bit now. I think this is probably a good thing in the long run though, if it means every through ball in the final third isn't just launched straight to the opposing goalie I'll be happy.

-As with every Fifa, I can see what my opponent is going to do about 2-3 passes ahead of time but there's nothing I can do about it. Trying to switch players will normally select the wrong one, or the computer controlled defenders will just be running the wrong way or something.

-I like the squad builder challenges.

-There seems to be a lot more player animations in the box now. I've had multiple sequences in the few games I've played where the ball just bounces around chaotically in the box, my goalie rolls/dives around and in general it's pretty amusing.

I'm absolutely dreadful at this so far though, I usually have a big lead in possession but just can't actually put many good chances together.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

DoctaFun posted:

I picked this up two days ago and I'm having a lot of trouble adjusting from '16. A few things I've noticed so far.

-Seems like there is a lot of input lag for me. Trying to do one-touch passes is frustrating as I have to hit 'x' waaayyy before the ball gets to my player. Same thing goes for headers(especially in the box).

-Physicality is definitely re-worked, but almost too much. Defenders are literally brick walls if you run into them without the ball, your player doesn't really bounce off or make an effort to get past them, they just come to a complete stop and are useless for a few seconds afterwards.

-Everything just feels kind of....slow. Also, the default view of the pitch seems like it's further away than before or something, I don't think it looks as good as 2016 to be honest.

-Still getting used to through balls as you actually have to power them up a bit now. I think this is probably a good thing in the long run though, if it means every through ball in the final third isn't just launched straight to the opposing goalie I'll be happy.

-As with every Fifa, I can see what my opponent is going to do about 2-3 passes ahead of time but there's nothing I can do about it. Trying to switch players will normally select the wrong one, or the computer controlled defenders will just be running the wrong way or something.

I'm not getting input lag that badly but its more noticeable than in the past. As for defending it's like they completely shifted what's important but they still made it too easy (or at best unsatisfying). Last year was all about your midfield auto-intercepting passes non-stop regardless of stats. This year your midfield does next to nothing to intercept even with balls going right past them but your defenders just automatically take the ball off of opponent players now if there is any contact like a magnet (shield the ball also is very poo poo this year because of the favoring the defender coding). It's all part of what makes dribbling so unsatisfying (that and the fact it feels like players are less agile all around). I don't agree with the "slow" gameplay observation. Passing is so easy and consequence free that the ball moves around very fast and players are definitely much pacier with the ball at their feet compared last year. Through balls seem balanced. Lastly, if you haven't already, change your player switching to "manual air balls only". To me it feels like previous editions regarding player switching but I've seen people on full auto complaining a lot more this year. Manual switching is key to playing good defense anyways so you should always have it on.

The last thing I picked up on is keeper rushing. Last year it was incredibly stupid as the keepers could read throughballs and get to them without input 30 yards out. However if you came out manually to constest a shot it was a disaster and way less effective than previous years. This year it seems like manually calling the keeper out is effective again, the keepers also seem quicker this year too.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 29, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I will say there's definitely a lot of times where I feel like my guy takes a little bit too long to pass or shoot after I hit the button, and like Seltzer said the passing is too easy, but I like the game otherwise.

If you have a problem selecting people, try to get used to switching defenders with the right analog stick, it'll make you a lot better at defense once you can do it.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

-I like the squad builder challenges.

-There seems to be a lot more player animations in the box now. I've had multiple sequences in the few games I've played where the ball just bounces around chaotically in the box, my goalie rolls/dives around and in general it's pretty amusing.

I'm absolutely dreadful at this so far though, I usually have a big lead in possession but just can't actually put many good chances together.

I'm totally with you on the weird feeling of input lag or something, but only in one regard: 50-50s in the air. If my guy is ball-side and I just want him to flick it on with his head, in every previous version you can sorta "pre-load" a pass, or hold it as the ball is coming to you. I think they maybe got rid of that? 9 times out of 10 my player will take it on the chest before trying to flick, which throws off the timing

What I really do like is that teams' playstyles genuinely seem very different now. It was easy to carve open Man City since I've got players who are good against a high press game, but goddamn it was hard to break down a team getting a lead and parking the bus. Frustrating as hell in the same way it is to watch IRL

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Seltzer posted:

. Passing is so easy and consequence free that the ball moves around very fast and players are definitely much pacier with the ball at their feet compared last year.

Definitely agree with this, pacey forwards can actually outrun the slow center backs of the world now.

Edit:
This is the first FIFA I've actually owned this close to release date. I have about 21k coins right now, anyone have any tips on bolstering that? In past versions I'd find open bids of really pacey silver players(Jurgen Damm for example) and flip em around. Or, once I had enough money I'd buy up ~15 lowish priced gold dudes and do a mini price fix, normally selling one player every couple list cycles for a ~$1000-1500 profit(would do this with 3-4 guys at a time).

It definitely seems like the squad building challenges could dictate a lot in the market, I've thought about finding popular leagues with positional scarcity. For example, Ligue 1 and the LW spot. I think there's only one non-french, gold, LW in that league. If people try to do any of the league or nation challenges that could be a bit of a pinch point? I'd be up for a joint effort on a mini price fix of something like that. Especially if we can find a guy that normally runs ~400-500 coins as almost every gold player sells on the open market now, probably because of the SBCs.

DoctaFun fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 29, 2016

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard
Anyone able to gift me the increased trading pile? My main account appears to have been reset so now I'm using my US account and I'm only level 13

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I keep getting disconnected from online games after alt-tabbing. Annoying. My attention deficit!!!!

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given

DoctaFun posted:

Yeah the headers thing is weird. I don't think I've won a single defensive header on a corner.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
https://streamable.com/aj7z

lol

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

ooffffff what a loving rocket

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

So far this game is fun as gently caress. The only problem is I'm pretty poo poo at it. Despite that, I've scored some decent goals so far,

Loan card Herrmann is pretty good,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ATKLq1Cuo4&t=31s

Look at the bullshit I gotta go through just to score a god drat goal,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70Qitx-3wJA&t=30s

Annnd Kagawa with an absolute bomb of a goal,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMwSEjzgqnY&t=20s

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I'm glad they made leveling your pro so much quicker and rewarding. A guy I play with is already a 92 forward after like 90 games.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
I'm a big fan of how they turned 'Shoot' into 'Suggest Shot'.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

T Bowl posted:

I'm glad they made leveling your pro so much quicker and rewarding. A guy I play with is already a 92 forward after like 90 games.

I'm not sure I like how fast it is but I do like the retooling in general.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

NattyBo posted:

I'm not sure I like how fast it is but I do like the retooling in general.

Well think of it this way, most of us just keep doing it over and over every year.. so it gets old. We all have done enough to be a higher rating quickly, plus, if it's too slow it turns off new players. It makes sense to make it quick.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

T Bowl posted:

Well think of it this way, most of us just keep doing it over and over every year.. so it gets old. We all have done enough to be a higher rating quickly, plus, if it's too slow it turns off new players. It makes sense to make it quick.

Yea I've probably played like 15 pro clubs games over the past three editions, the leveling was a pain in the rear end and drop ins sucked. I'm actually thinking about giving the mode a shot now.

As for FUT I've got about a 3 to 1 win to loss ratio at the moment but I still have 0 confidence shooting unless I'm one on one coming from an angle to shoot across goal. Near post seems sort of viable as opposed to "never try that" like I thought. Anyone have tips on long shots this year?

So far my most successful squads have been my Japanese gimmick squad and my RPL squad with Traore at striker. Tevez has been dog poo poo for me this year which is weird since his stats are still really good. What formations have been good for you guys? I've stuck to my go to formations of 41212(2) and 433(4). The 41212(2) seems a bit too narrow this year but it's still serviceable. I think the 352 might make a return this year with how powerful centerbacks are.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Go to trick for me with long shots is to finesse them into a corner with more power than you'd think. Works pretty well in most situations tbh and you can hit them from pretty surprising angles.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
These squad builder challenges are awesome, and are going to drive so much of the market it's just crazy. What another genius money-making idea from EA.

Think about it, there are a few new challenges up for the weekend that are driving prices WAAAYY up on some turds. I'm going to call it right now, they will introduce a SBC that has a requirement of some number of IF cards. Which will make discard IFs prices skyrocket.

If there is a pattern to when these SBCs launch(if EA was smart there won't be), all you have to do to make a ton of coins is get the SBC requirements and buy every discard player from whatever team is featured. Discard silvers from Colo-Colo are selling for >1000 coins right now, it's crazy!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Just played the first game while it installed. I forgot how much fun this game is and how much time I spend on it.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah the SBC is win win for me. If you're clever you can do them and get out more than you put in. If you just want to pass on them you can sell your players for 5 times the price when they're required in an SBC.

This idea would require to much effort, and I don't want to get burned, but I was thinking EA is probably going to do the league squad builders with all the major leagues at some point. So if you stocked up cheap starting 11s for all the teams in serie a, ligue 1 etc. you would get insane rewards + a special card for next to nothing. All the rarer cards for the portuguese and MLS builders cost a fortune right now.

Anyone have a players they use each edition of FIFA just because they've delivered for you in the past (outside of mega players like Ronaldo and Chiellini obviously). I made my first silver squad of the year and big Mike Havenaar is back.

I made a Japanese/Eredivisie/Ligue 1 hybrid and it's amazing. Havenaar is surrounded by Rushnak on the left (80 crossing on a silver), Miyaichi on the right (94 pace 4* 4*) and Endo behind. Miyaichi is blazingly fast, Rushnak provides great crosses and Endo is so good I can't believe he's 73 rated. His only downsides are pace and dribbling but he's strong, has excellent passing and fks, good finishing (on par with a gold CAM) and defensive abilities to boot. I use him as a lone playmaker so I don't need him to be fast. The J-League has some cool players.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I decided to do Bundesliga for whatever reason this year, because I hadn't used them before I guess.

Might be a good idea for me to spend some coins eventually on getting 11 from each team just so I can get whatever special card comes out later

I'm workin on the league and nation hybrids now, they're pretty easy.

Some people have posted example squads of those and those individual players are going up like crazy but you don't have to be an idiot and copy those exact players. For instance, in the 8 league one the guy uses England players, and people are jacking up his exact players instead of noticing for many of those spots there's like a handful of players you can use.

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 30, 2016

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Just unpacked Hummels "Ones To Watch" untradeable from a gold swap challenge. I guess I'm gonna have to build a bundesliga squad now.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Bundesliga, I just finished doing all the league challenges and I got Douglas Costa from one of the packs, so I guess I'm keepin him!

Got maybe 20k worth of players to sell and then kept the rest for other challenges so I definitely came out ahead.

Strenots
Jun 21, 2005

'Course it's a good idea!

Shot of the day from the PC Parmos cup run earlier, courtesy of Skyfire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KALDbVRP8tM

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Do not play in the pro camera

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Im trying to enjoy the Journey mode, but im just really not good at doing anything worthwhile in the 2 minutes I get to play. Ive gotten one shot on goal in like 6 games. At least its not a Spike Lee joint.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Kanish posted:

Im trying to enjoy the Journey mode, but im just really not good at doing anything worthwhile in the 2 minutes I get to play. Ive gotten one shot on goal in like 6 games. At least its not a Spike Lee joint.

I remember playing that 2k poo poo and watching my idiot friend stare at my sister's rear end and poo poo and I was like I hope this dude dies and he fuckin did!

Spike Lee made my dreams come true

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths

Kanish posted:

Protip - go to your settings and change the match length. It helps a ton, because otherwise finding chances is certainly dire unless your demanding a pass at literally all moments your team has possession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

8bitlawd posted:

Protip - go to your settings and change the match length. It helps a ton, because otherwise finding chances is certainly dire unless your demanding a pass at literally all moments your team has possession.

Don't you have the option to play as the whole team like the demo? I haven't got around to trying it yet, but in the demo I shot twice with Hunter when he was put on and scored both times so I thought it was awesome.

• Locked thread