Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Guillermus posted:

I may be forgetting something as I could see it on manager mode but now I can't. You may be right but in SP I should be able to see it at least and I didn't (MLS career mode match).

it probably depends on what difficulty you're playing on, so if you changed that recently that could be the culprit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
had the arrow come up a few times during the weekend league shootouts, i assumed the game was trying to improve my awful shootout record

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's come up for me in mp reasonably often

Finished my weekend league games, didn't do as well as I'd like but I won 22 with 2 games left that would be pointless to play so I get 45k coins, a rare gold pack and 2 rare mega packs so that's still pretty sweet

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I think you can press up on the d-pad to display the arrow.

I played a few games locally with my friend and it made penalty shootouts/corners pointless because you can see exactly what the other is doing.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that didn't work for me when I couldn't get it to come up

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I've seen the arrow in pro clubs when someone else is taking the PK, but not every time.

It's almost as if every mode that's not FUT receives the bare minimum attention required to ship the product.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but I'm talking about in FUT haha

Apache Chief
May 21, 2011
parm u nerds

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard
Don't see me doing weekend league again for some time. You need to pretty much give up your weekend for it. Got to 18 wins and stopped playing. Even if you have the time, I got burnt out playing that many games in a row.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
You should not be able to choose 'any' in Be a Pro mode.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
could someone please invite me to a goon proclub? playing drop-ins is absolute hell

psn:babeitskiy

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Filthee Fingas posted:

Don't see me doing weekend league again for some time. You need to pretty much give up your weekend for it. Got to 18 wins and stopped playing. Even if you have the time, I got burnt out playing that many games in a row.

Yeah I was only able to get through it this weekend because my friends weren't coming over for football since Panthers play Monday, any other weekend I'd be busy on Sunday and never get through them all

Even if you get 10 wins though the prizes are still pretty good

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I will say one good thing about weekend league, I've never gotten so many matches so fast in my life

I instantly got a match every time and it was never laggy, so it's pretty cool to have absolutely everyone who has the game it seems like playing the same mode at the same time

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
The weekend league model is fine by me. the reason they have 40 games in like 2 1/2 days is specifically because most people won't do it. They don't want to give out that many prizes and mess with the market too much. I was busy most of the weekend and played only 8 games I think. I won 5 and I'll still get 7.5 k and a good gold pack. Not a bad deal. The competition wasn't even that difficult.

You know how I said earlier it might be smart to build a starting 11 for a league you like in case they roll out more league SBCs? I did that after I thought about it a bit. Since the SBC area has a specific league tab I highly doubt MLS and Liga Nos will be the only two all year. After realizing Jonas and Giovinco were their leagues respective player of the season I looked through other league's player of the season. I was thinking on settling on the J-league or Russian league but the J-league might not get it and Aoyama and Smolov kind of suck (I think Smolov would get picked since hulk bailed). As soon as I saw Aubameyang got player of the season it was a no brainer to make all the Bundesliga starting 11s. It took a bit of time but before I knew it I had a decent starting 11 for all 18 squads and I was only out ~60k. One of two things will happen, at some point I'll get 18 packs + 40k + an Aubameyang card and look like a genius or I'll have lost a few coins and wasted some time. Anyways there's no way a Bayern or Dortmund starting 11 won't be required at some point so I'll have those regardless. I'm thinking about doing it for a middling league like the Superlig as well since SBCs for leagues like those will probably roll out earlier and be cheap. If you've tried to do any of the liga nos or MLS challenges you'll see how annoying, time consuming, and costly it is. I haven't completed one squad in either league and don't plan to.

I don't know about anyone else but I've found the 433 variants a bit crappy this year since dribbling sucks and cutting in is difficult. I switched to the 4231(2) and It's much better, I even swing in more crossed with that formation. Oh Also pick up IF Manolas if you can, amazing player for pretty cheap (65k) and if the market is like last year his price will stay pretty high.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 10, 2016

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Seltzer posted:

The weekend league model is fine by me. the reason they have 40 games in like 2 1/2 days is specifically because most people won't do it. They don't want to give out that many prizes and mess with the market too much. I was busy most of the weekend and played only 8 games I think. I won 5 and I'll still get 7.5 k and a good gold pack. Not a bad deal. The competition wasn't even that difficult.

You know how I said earlier it might be smart to build a starting 11 for a league you like in case they roll out more league SBCs? I did that after I thought about it a bit. Since the SBC area has a specific league tab I highly doubt MLS and Liga Nos will be the only two all year. After realizing Jonas and Giovinco were their leagues respective player of the season I looked through other league's player of the season. I was thinking on settling on the J-league or Russian league but the J-league might not get it and Aoyama and Smolov kind of suck (I think Smolov would get picked since hulk bailed). As soon as I saw Aubameyang got player of the season it was a no brainer to make all the Bundesliga starting 11s. It took a bit of time but before I knew it I had a decent starting 11 for all 18 squads and I was only out ~60k. One of two things will happen, at some point I'll get 18 packs + 40k + an Aubameyang card and look like a genius or I'll have lost a few coins and wasted some time. Anyways there's no way a Bayern or Dortmund starting 11 won't be required at some point so I'll have those regardless. I'm thinking about doing it for a middling league like the Superlig as well since SBCs for leagues like those will probably roll out earlier and be cheap. If you've tried to do any of the liga nos or MLS challenges you'll see how annoying, time consuming, and costly it is. I haven't completed one squad in either league and don't plan to.

I don't know about anyone else but I've found the 433 variants a bit crappy this year since dribbling sucks and cutting in is difficult. I switched to the 4231(2) and It's much better, I even swing in more crossed with that formation. Oh Also pick up IF Manolas if you can, amazing player for pretty cheap (65k) and if the market is like last year his price will stay pretty high.

Man I'd like to do this too, but I just don't have the time it feels like.

$60k seems pretty reasonable to setup 11 players from each team, though I wonder if you'll get screwed on a few of the challenges having a minimum team rating, forcing you to actually bid on expensive BM or Dortmund players...

I still might do something like this....A lot of La Liga teams are pretty cheap to put together, and even RM and Barca have a decent amount of 'meh' gold players you could probably build from.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I'm impressed that it only cost you 60k to build those squads, did you just have a huge amount of players already from buying packs?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

DoctaFun posted:

Man I'd like to do this too, but I just don't have the time it feels like.

$60k seems pretty reasonable to setup 11 players from each team, though I wonder if you'll get screwed on a few of the challenges having a minimum team rating, forcing you to actually bid on expensive BM or Dortmund players...

I still might do something like this....A lot of La Liga teams are pretty cheap to put together, and even RM and Barca have a decent amount of 'meh' gold players you could probably build from.

I started saving Bundesliga players awhile back since I was thinking about doing all the squads. It took about an hour and I did it on sunday while making a few phone calls/listening to a podcast. You don't have to be paying much attention. I have my Dortmund and Bayern teams at an 80 minimum since those are the most likely to have a high rating requirement. The other squads I just got tons of non rare golds and silvers. Man City had an 80 requirement for the sterling one and Benfica has a 78 for the liga nos one iirc.

hopterque posted:

I'm impressed that it only cost you 60k to build those squads, did you just have a huge amount of players already from buying packs?

It was probably closer to 90k all told but I made a lot of coins back because I just blanket bid on all the players in my targeted teams and ended up selling all the duplicates for profit. People don't put reasonable bins on a lot of card so there are plenty of cards you can bid on for ~300 and sell for 600+. I wouldn't do that normally because it's boring but I got lucky a lot doing the squads.

The upside is I have some cool Bundesliga players to use now. Coman and Xabi Alonso are very good. Modeste is also extremely underrated.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 10, 2016

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard

Seltzer posted:

I started saving Bundesliga players awhile back since I was thinking about doing all the squads. It took about an hour and I did it on sunday while making a few phone calls/listening to a podcast. You don't have to be paying much attention. I have my Dortmund and Bayern teams at an 80 minimum since those are the most likely to have a high rating requirement. The other squads I just got tons of non rare golds and silvers. Man City had an 80 requirement for the sterling one and Benfica has a 78 for the liga nos one iirc.

It was probably closer to 90k all told but I made a lot of coins back because I just blanket bid on all the players in my targeted teams and ended up selling all the duplicates for profit. People don't put reasonable bins on a lot of card so there are plenty of cards you can bid on for ~300 and sell for 600+. I wouldn't do that normally because it's boring but I got lucky a lot doing the squads.

The upside is I have some cool Bundesliga players to use now. Coman and Xabi Alonso are very good. Modeste is also extremely underrated.

I started doing this the other night with Superlig. What's your general tactic? are you buying multiple players in same position or just getting one of each? I've been using a 442 setup mostly so getting 2 ST, 2 Central mids, LM, RM, RB, LB, 2 CBs and goalie

Also a couple guesses on some marquee matches SBCs - cork vs. Dundalk (1 vs 2) - was posted by someone earlier so prices went mental and people panicked when it didn't come out today. Still think it's a possibility for tomorrow - can probably get players on the cheap now
- malmo vs norrkoping (1 v 2) in Swedish league.

I bid mass min bids on the second one above - figure if it doesn't then I can sell off for not much of a loss

Filthee Fingas fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 10, 2016

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Holy crap are the bids just crazy right now. I put together a few squads for the 'chemistry is key' challenge and it seems like odd-nationed gold player from a decent league is going for 1500 coins. It's crazy. I tried like three different La Liga teams and two different EPL squads but got priced out so fast I had to stop. Would cost like 10k coins just to complete the squad.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Filthee Fingas posted:

I started doing this the other night with Superlig. What's your general tactic? are you buying multiple players in same position or just getting one of each? I've been using a 442 setup mostly so getting 2 ST, 2 Central mids, LM, RM, RB, LB, 2 CBs and goalie

Remember that chemistry is slightly more lenient (95 chem) for the league SBCs and that all correctly positioned players will be on perfect chem so you can put a few players out of place to not wreck your coins. I have thiagos CM card at ST in my bayern squad for instance because that one was 5k (and I use it in a squad) and the muller and lewandowski cards are crazy high. What I noticed was nearly all the SBCs in MLS and Liga Nos had lm + rm or LW + RW so I always just made a 442 for every squad and then bought one extra central player in case it was a different formation to cover my bases. There were like two bundesliga squads that didnt have wingers so I made normal 4231 squads for them since that's how they arranged the mls and portuguese squads without wingers.

Filthee Fingas posted:

Also a couple guesses on some marquee matches SBCs - cork vs. Dundalk (1 vs 2) - was posted by someone earlier so prices went mental and people panicked when it didn't come out today. Still think it's a possibility for tomorrow - can probably get players on the cheap now
- malmo vs norrkoping (1 v 2) in Swedish league.

Yea I'd never try to guess on these too much risk reward and apparently people trying to mess with the market.

DoctaFun posted:

Holy crap are the bids just crazy right now. I put together a few squads for the 'chemistry is key' challenge and it seems like odd-nationed gold player from a decent league is going for 1500 coins. It's crazy. I tried like three different La Liga teams and two different EPL squads but got priced out so fast I had to stop. Would cost like 10k coins just to complete the squad.

Just wait until near the end of the challenge or find an unknown squad.

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004

DoctaFun posted:

Yeah you pretty much have to act fast to avoid getting price gouged. From doing superlig I just used my gala team which had more than enough different nations in it

Did the sterling SBC today - was worth it for me since I already had an untradable otamendi. Ended up getting OTW Stones, yaya and cazorla from the packs plus sterling which made it more than worth it. Not sure pack weights are better through SBC than general packs but have been covering my costs with doing the SBCs and all of them have been worth it coin wise

Filthee Fingas fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 10, 2016

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Filthee Fingas posted:

Yeah you pretty much have to act fast to avoid getting price gouged. From doing superlig I just used my gala team which had more than enough different nations in it

Did the sterling SBC today - was worth it for me since I already had an untradable otamendi. Ended up getting OTW Stones, yaya and cazorla from the packs plus sterling which made it more than worth it. Not sure pack weights are better through SBC than general packs but have been covering my costs with doing the SBCs and all of them have been worth it coin wise

How much do you think you spent to finish that whole challenge?

I would love that Sterling card, he's one of my favorite players.

Edit: Pulled Renato Sanchez in a pack today, was pretty happy to see that he goes for about 40k :).

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Filthee Fingas posted:

I highly doubt they made their own weighting system for the SBC packs which would be a ton of work, I think it's just typical fooled by randomness stuff people are reporting, same reason people report "scripting" and that sort of poo poo

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Does anyone know how team ratings are calculated? Do they round up? I'm trying to do one of the SBCs and if I average my player ratings for my 11 dudes its at 82.9. Will that round up to 83? Or does it always round down?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Natty this is the corner play I was talking about when we were doing Parmos

I've only tried it a few times in head to head and it's worked twice already out of less than 10 times. Granted that's not a huge sample but it seems good so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQNUkY6n22o&t=23s

Here's a video of me doing it in a match just today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAQ_Tqnx5IU

You can see it puts it in a really dangerous area and the goalie doesn't really respond even though maybe he had time so imagine that's my 6'4" monster there instead of Pisczek

I don't know how well it works in pro clubs since you can't start the play with the short man already there

Here are two more things we could try on corners, I haven't really experimented to see which is better although I have a feeling the near post one is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBZ08N5-8A4&t=12s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHRU0pgdmVw&t=23s

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 11, 2016

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Seltzer, is crossing any good? I'm poo poo with headers so I stuck to a 433 and keep the ball on the ground. Lots of cutting in with the wingers.

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004

DoctaFun posted:

How much do you think you spent to finish that whole challenge?

I would love that Sterling card, he's one of my favorite players.

Edit: Pulled Renato Sanchez in a pack today, was pretty happy to see that he goes for about 40k :).

Depends on if you have any city players. When I had otamendi, i think i must have spent an additional 40-50k for the rest of the city players. I had loads of english players + BPL players for the other two challenges so all together probably spent around 60-70k?

Sold OTW Stones for 55k, Yaya for 67k and Caz for 32k. In the end I was up about 90k + Sterling

This is probably your cheapest bet for City team:

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004

DoctaFun posted:

Does anyone know how team ratings are calculated? Do they round up? I'm trying to do one of the SBCs and if I average my player ratings for my 11 dudes its at 82.9. Will that round up to 83? Or does it always round down?

Not sure but if you go to futhead you can test it out in their SBC section

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Mandalay posted:

Seltzer, is crossing any good? I'm poo poo with headers so I stuck to a 433 and keep the ball on the ground. Lots of cutting in with the wingers.

Crossing is real good

Here is a video on crossing that I generally agree with, although he neglects to mention that like from a similar spot if you have split the defense and have like a 3 on 2 or a 3 on 3 where the defender is leaving the near post to come mark the guy who is crossing, if you can get it to the corner of the box like that then just tapping cross to the guy at the near post (not double tap because you want to get it over the rushing defender) works real well

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 11, 2016

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Filthee Fingas posted:

Not sure but if you go to futhead you can test it out in their SBC section

Ahh, I've been using futbin, but they calculate based on your starting 11 + bench, and my bench is always empty.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Filthee Fingas posted:

Depends on if you have any city players. When I had otamendi, i think i must have spent an additional 40-50k for the rest of the city players. I had loads of english players + BPL players for the other two challenges so all together probably spent around 60-70k?

Sold OTW Stones for 55k, Yaya for 67k and Caz for 32k. In the end I was up about 90k + Sterling

This is probably your cheapest bet for City team:

Nice! Except the only Brahim Diaz on the market just sold for 10k BIN! lol.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Stefan Prodan posted:

Crossing is real good

Here is a video on crossing that I generally agree with, although he neglects to mention that like from a similar spot if you have split the defense and have like a 3 on 2 or a 3 on 3 where the defender is leaving the near post to come mark the guy who is crossing, if you can get it to the corner of the box like that then just tapping cross to the guy at the near post (not double tap because you want to get it over the rushing defender) works real well

I don't see a video? Maybe because I'm on the awful iOS app?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Nah it was because I was real sleepy and by the time I got to the end of the post I forgot to post the video because I"m an idiot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9b58oLwJ-g

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
BTW I don't want to just do nothing but spam this thread with youtubes but I tried this today and it actually does work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4tT4cNew8s&t=22s

If you are trying to be the goalie against a penalty, if a person holds a direction to aim and never changes it, they completely tip off where the kick will go because the player has a tell that shows you the first direction they hit, and the power bar will tell you if it's going low or high

You can get around this by starting your kick by aiming up then changing the aim, if you do that no one can read the direction

I would wager very few players know this yet but they probably will eventually

In the meantime I'm just gonna start every kick the opposite way that I'm doing and that way hopefully I can get some by people trying to do this trick

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Mandalay posted:

Yea crossing is great and I think really balanced aside from corners. Every single squad I have with a lone striker this year I require my striker to at least be decent at heading, if not really good. After basically only using the 41212(2) and 433s last year I've found myself gravitating towards the 4231(2) this edition. For whatever reason I find my wingers getting in more crosses and the same amount of runs and the formation allows for very good build up play. Of course that's not to say 433s are bad but cutting in dribbling through players and then scoring is much harder this year so that's where it becomes a downside. I gravitate towards 433s if my wingers are very fast and good at dribbling but maybe not so great at the end product with regards to passing and finishing. The 4231(2) can suit slower wingers with better passing attributes and strength/some defending. That's not to say you can't use different types of wingers in different formations and be successful. Crossing is not nearly as tricky this year, the simple cross will do just fine. Cutting in slightly will give a better cross over just hoofing it while running parallel to the sideline. It's even worth it to completely cut in and cross if the wingers weak foot is different from the side they play. So if you have a right footed winger with a 2* wf on the left wing you would want to really cut in so you can play the cross with your right foot.

Aside from that my big takeaway from messing around a lot with crossing is that the power header trait matters massively this year. It always helped but the difference is much more pronounced this year and almost required if your going solely for a targetman + cross set up. You end up scoring literally twice as often with the power header trait if heading accuracy is kept even. It feels like the difference between 50 and 99 shot power. You'll get a lot of deflection goals with the trait, basically none without it.

Here, is what I was talking about when I said taking a big angle so certain players can use their better foot. Rusnak (silver with 80+ crossing) is right footed so since I had space I played the cross with his right foot to Havenaar.

Giant throw in is the best trait.

The crossing tutorial Stefan Prodan posted is ok but incredibly situation and too specific imo. You shouldn't limit yourself to that technique. If you have a legit target man timing a good cross to him is way more important than trying to get to a super specific position in order to go back post (also most good defenders will muscle you out or be in a position to deflect a cross from the byline position. Havenaar will bury 75% of headers off a decent cross regardless of his position in front of goal if you know where to aim. As you can see in the first .gif he's marked in front of goal but since the run and cross are good it doesn't matter. He's 6'4 with 80 jumping + power header.

I can't stop winning with my stupid gimmick squad. I'll drop it in divisions as soon as I start going 50-50 with it, but I'm not there yet.

There are plenty of good gold target fowards as well obviously. Modeste is a good cheap option

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the dude making that video said he'd do a more in depth crossing one it was just to show one good spot you can do it from, there are others you can find on youtube, I just wanted to show examples of one of the good spots

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Seltzer who did you put up front for Bayern again for your squad to turn in? I can't find anyone that I could reasonably put up there that isn't hideously expensive

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Nevermind, I figured it out, I just moved the bronze CDM all the way up to CF with position cards.

Probably not the most elegant but whatever

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I'm bad at this game. I got stomped by a guy who kept scoring Pogba golazos with junk gold players. How do I get my defenders and midfield to press more outside the box? Other than team press and high press options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Any prediction on what the prices for man city players will do as we get closer to the PL SBC ending? I kind of think they might continue to spike right until the end.

• Locked thread