Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LastDeadMouse
Sep 5, 2003
More notes:

Penalties are more like the old way, you aim and hold down B to shoot.

Yellow cards are much more sane and consistant. Running full speed into someone can result in a yellow card even if you dont hit a tackle button.

Serious injuries require substitution. I've seen around 3-4 in 15 matches. Expect people to bitch about this.

Goalkeepers seem better overall, much less scripted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

LastDeadMouse posted:

Serious injuries require substitution. I've seen around 3-4 in 15 matches. Expect people to bitch about this.

It was like this at the beginning of fifa 17 too and they changed it in the first patch because it was awful, you'd get an injury or two basically every game and constantly be subbing.

e: Just wondering, did you play weekend league in 17? If so, whereabouts did you place, will give me some more perspective on your initial thoughts etc.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Aug 11, 2017

LastDeadMouse
Sep 5, 2003
Yeah, I was a weekend league regular. Usually finished Gold 1. Pretty average player.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

LastDeadMouse posted:

Yeah, I was a weekend league regular. Usually finished Gold 1. Pretty average player.

Yeah cool gold 1 is solid, that's about where I am. Knowing approximately the level of a player and how much they play makes a big difference reading beta thoughts imo, like some guy who has never qualified for weekend league and has played 200 games all year is gonna think in a totally different way about stuff than someone at your level.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I've seen some beta footage and the game looks slow as fucckkkkkkkkk. The good thing is that defending is much more difficult by most peoples accounts.

There's a video of the new celebrations.
https://streamable.com/s0occ
Some definite rage quit inducers in there. I think the flute celebration would be number 1 this year but apparently dabbing is still in the game and triggers multiple teammates now.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Does who your captain is matter at like....all? For anything?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Waroduce posted:

Does who your captain is matter at like....all? For anything?

I just put it on who I like most. As far as I know it effects nothing in game.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
So with the last futties player (i think?) released my squads have reached what will probably be their final form, mainly because I've only got like 150k left and I'm not gonna play or do enough to make more money at this point.

Behold, and be amazed at what playing 40 games almost every weekend can get you even when you're only pretty ok:

BPL squad
https://www.futbin.com/17/squad/4991579

La Liga/Ligue 1 hybrid squad:

https://www.futbin.com/17/squad/4459483

This one gets swapped around a bit after a game starts, I play Cavani at CAM now that I have TOTS Lacazette, with Tolliso and Sanson behind him and Nzonzi at cdm.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Sooooo does anyone have any takes on the beta?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Seltzer posted:

Sooooo does anyone have any takes on the beta?

They shoulda fuckin let you and me and hopterque in it, that's my take

LastDeadMouse
Sep 5, 2003
Seems like I'm the only one in the FUT beta. Lol suck it nerds.

Game is good. I've been playing weekend league and it feels much less gimmicky than Fifa 17. You have a lot more time on the ball and because of that more playstyles/players are viable than in last years version. Defense is more manual, AI controlled offensive players also make much smarter runs which really opens things up. If you are able to pass it backwards/sideways and are able to use 3-4 passes to setup a move your attackers will generally get in exactly the positions you want them to and it feels awesome to have the game working with you instead of against you in those situations. Other thing is that every type of pass is viable depending on the situation, there's no longer the 100% failure rates some types of attacks that there used to be. Spot a midfielder making a run into the box between the two CBs? Pass it back to your CAM and then do a lobbed through ball for a clear cut chance. See your striker peeling away towards the back post as you enter the box? Cross it to him and he'll bang in the unmarked header. It really opens things up on offense; conversely, defense is much more about spotting and shutting down offensive moves rather than chasing the ball. On defense, I usually will hit the tackle button only once or twice per move. Your defenders also seem a lot more cognizant about where the ball is and will actually try to clear the ball instead of standing there like robots. Games are usually high scoring, if you mess up your opponent is likely to score. The ball is now independent from the player, it doesn't feel like the ball is constantly glued to the player "in possession." On defense dispossessing an opponent simply means getting your guy to touch the ball, the hard part now is getting your defender close enough to the attacker due to the new momentum system. Skill moves and dribbling are a bit different (less reliant on the animation and maybe a bit slower/stiffer) but you can absolutely murder defenders by timing things right and changing direction at the right time.

Feedback on the beta forum is really positive as well. It seems like everyone likes the match engine, most of the complaints are about ratings and players not being at the right club etc even though it tells you like 500 times throughout the beta that the players aren't finalized.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I'm excited, I love buildups with lots of passing!

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

LastDeadMouse posted:

Seems like I'm the only one in the FUT beta. Lol suck it nerds.

Game is good. I've been playing weekend league and it feels much less gimmicky than Fifa 17. You have a lot more time on the ball and because of that more playstyles/players are viable than in last years version. Defense is more manual, AI controlled offensive players also make much smarter runs which really opens things up. If you are able to pass it backwards/sideways and are able to use 3-4 passes to setup a move your attackers will generally get in exactly the positions you want them to and it feels awesome to have the game working with you instead of against you in those situations. Other thing is that every type of pass is viable depending on the situation, there's no longer the 100% failure rates some types of attacks that there used to be. Spot a midfielder making a run into the box between the two CBs? Pass it back to your CAM and then do a lobbed through ball for a clear cut chance. See your striker peeling away towards the back post as you enter the box? Cross it to him and he'll bang in the unmarked header. It really opens things up on offense; conversely, defense is much more about spotting and shutting down offensive moves rather than chasing the ball. On defense, I usually will hit the tackle button only once or twice per move. Your defenders also seem a lot more cognizant about where the ball is and will actually try to clear the ball instead of standing there like robots. Games are usually high scoring, if you mess up your opponent is likely to score. The ball is now independent from the player, it doesn't feel like the ball is constantly glued to the player "in possession." On defense dispossessing an opponent simply means getting your guy to touch the ball, the hard part now is getting your defender close enough to the attacker due to the new momentum system. Skill moves and dribbling are a bit different (less reliant on the animation and maybe a bit slower/stiffer) but you can absolutely murder defenders by timing things right and changing direction at the right time.

Feedback on the beta forum is really positive as well. It seems like everyone likes the match engine, most of the complaints are about ratings and players not being at the right club etc even though it tells you like 500 times throughout the beta that the players aren't finalized.

This sounds great, I'm stoked. High scoring is fine with me anyway, defending is my weak point either way so if I have the tools to score loadsagoals that's cool.

Stefan Prodan posted:

They shoulda fuckin let you and me and hopterque in it, that's my take

also this

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Everything posted sounds good though I really enjoy pace and it seems that pace is still pretty nerfed. One question, are 180 no look passes from center backs not viable this year. I sure hope so.

LastDeadMouse
Sep 5, 2003

Seltzer posted:

Everything posted sounds good though I really enjoy pace and it seems that pace is still pretty nerfed. One question, are 180 no look passes from center backs not viable this year. I sure hope so.

On offense I'd say that acceleration is nerfed, pace is still deadly but not as dominant. It's a lot easier to blow by people and turn on the jets 1 vs 1 and they aren't able to recover and catch up to you once you get by them. I've got Vardy and Andy Carroll up front, even big Andy can sometimes knock the ball past a defender and outpace them if I see they are flat footed. I do find myself relying a lot less on sprint overall though. On defense, pace seems to matter way less because you are usually not running at full speed anymore (if you do, the offensive player can just move like 1 foot to the side and you will go flying past them.)

No look passes from the CBs still happen, but overall I'd say that passing is less accurate than in 17. The dynamic is a lot different due to the ball not sticking to people anymore, passing feels a lot more natural and freeform. The new passing reticule really helps me pick out a pass as well. If anyone ever played the old PES on the Wii it feels a lot like that. I've also noticed some absolutely diabolical touches/passes if you try to get too fancy with certain players, but that might have been a button timing issue I'm not sure. One thing that's very noticeable is defenders stepping in to intercept long passes. You know those times where the RB picks up the ball deep in his own half under pressure and then does a perfect pass to the striker 50 yards up field simply by holding A? That doesn't happen anymore, panic passes like that generally get intercepted and lead to a dangerous attacking move.

LastDeadMouse
Sep 5, 2003
Also, scoring 3 consecutive own goals or putting down your controller causes you to forfeit now. This makes me sad because dudes passing it back to their GK and then failing to score an OG from 1 yard out was one of my favorite things in Fifa.

LastDeadMouse
Sep 5, 2003
Things I hate:

Colors are washed out. It can be difficult to distinguish teams. On top of this, there's now a white referee kit which is also sometimes active when playing vs a team with a white kit.

Referees are really reluctant to give a second yellow card. Haven't seen that once.

Lag is real bad. Netcode feels worse to me than last year. I thought weekend league would be better for this, but it's actually quite a bit worse. I've seen catch up lag way worse than I saw in last years game. A couple times I thought my controller had disconnected, but nope it was just Fifa playing itself for 45 seconds straight.

There are stupid fire pillars all around the stadium. When you score they launch fire into the air. Looks like something a 12 year old would make in create-a-stadium mode.

Weekend league, draft and seasons are all exactly the same. Still no gold cups.

Opening packs feels lame. I miss the walkout delay from last year.

Daily rewards are stupid and you can't see the prizes before you complete the task. Rewards for this also suck.

Most of the new features are built around single player and jesus christ playing the AI sucks. Seriously who plays single player in FUT? Sad.

The card aspect of FUT is exactly the same as last year. Nothing new.

Best thing:
People still rage message you about buying coins/fifa points...

LastDeadMouse
Sep 5, 2003
Just played against someone who knew what they were doing. Guy had Hazard and absolutely wrecked me. Feels good man.

LastDeadMouse
Sep 5, 2003
Another new feature that's quite a bit more fleshed out than I expected is the "Champions Channel" where you can watch full replays of top matches from the past weekend league. They have some highlighted matches, but you can also go in and select anyone from the Top 100 and see a list of like 10 games that they played. The replay is the complete match and you can also watch it back at 1.5x speed.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That's awesome!

No more having to look up people's games on youtube and poo poo

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Overall thoughts after a few hours on the Beta:

Auto-motions are still a thing. Midfielders auto-lunge at balls they won't get, resulting in them being out of position. Defenders are auto-heading balls in the box, and not heading them far at all. I had this screw me over several times already. Oh loose ball in the box? Oh cool it's landing right to my defender that is in a pocket of open space, time to control it and then pass it out to my winger. Oh he's auto-heading it.. to my opponents striker.. oh and now it's goal against me.

Build up play is great, however the passing is bothering me. I generally do assisted/semi for short passing, and manual for crossing/through balls. Nothing seems to do what it's supposed to. I try to pass between midfielders with the auto-pass, it instead 'leads' them, passing it into space, which soon gets intercepted. I do a pinpoint through ball, and it's just off. I thought at first it was because I was using low-gold players. But even with Turan/Isco/etc. that I packed, it's still happening.

gently caress the Ref's wearing white kits. Also gently caress the colors in general. I played with the orange Netherlands kit against someone who had a very off-white/grey kit. They clashed at the game select menu, but once in game, they both looked bright off-white. Annd the ref was wearing white. So it just looked like 21 players running around in the same kit. It was quite bad.

Shooting feels great. Driven shots, finesse shots, etc.

The ball has a nice 'weight' to it again.

I've only played FUT mode, but overall it feels very less 'gimmicky' than FIFA 17.

The menus aren't as laggy as last year. They're still not as 'instant' as they could be, but it's vastly improved.

LastDeadMouse posted:

There are stupid fire pillars all around the stadium. When you score they launch fire into the air. Looks like something a 12 year old would make in create-a-stadium mode.
The Seattle Sounders have these and they own. :pcgaming:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I started playing again just a little bit

I needed to win this game to go ahead and win the division

I held triangle to make Neuer go get this because I thought it was an easy grab to end the game but uhhh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jqea3e9chI

why u do dis mani

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Stefan Prodan posted:

I started playing again just a little bit

I needed to win this game to go ahead and win the division

I held triangle to make Neuer go get this because I thought it was an easy grab to end the game but uhhh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jqea3e9chI

why u do dis mani
Hahaha christ

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

So the 10% discount code is in the game menu if you want to get the icon edition cheaper. Stacked with EA access it brings down the price to $80. Unfortunately is seems like the in game discount doesn't apply to the other editions so the Ronaldo edition is $72 with just the ea access discount applied. Since I planned on getting one of those two editions for the three day early access I'm probably just going to shell out the extra eight dollars for the Icon edition.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Seltzer posted:

So the 10% discount code is in the game menu if you want to get the icon edition cheaper. Stacked with EA access it brings down the price to $80. Unfortunately is seems like the in game discount doesn't apply to the other editions so the Ronaldo edition is $72 with just the ea access discount applied. Since I planned on getting one of those two editions for the three day early access I'm probably just going to shell out the extra eight dollars for the Icon edition.
Yeah this was my plan as well. - Rather, to buy the icon edition with 10% off.

I'm tempted to wait a few weeks/months for the price to drop, but FUT/FIFA the first weeks/months is pure joy, as everyone sucks or has lovely teams. That experience is always fun.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Are there Icons on the PS4 or is that Xbox only

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Stefan Prodan posted:

Are there Icons on the PS4 or is that Xbox only

Icons are on all platforms

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Just won 8 in a row to clinch Gold 1 in WL. That's my best ever, although I suppose it's a bit easier now that 25% of the best DKO players get in too. Nevertheless pretty happy I managed to go on a win streak like that. Incremental improvements to my squads still helping I suppose.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I heard a rumor that Fifa Street makes a comeback in Fifa 18??? Please let this be true

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I've been eagerly anticipating Be The Ref mode for years

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Been playing some more, to get those dumb 5 kits for FIFA 18. TOTS-Modeste is stupid awesome. Scored a dumb goal, then followed it up immediately with a loving rocket to finish off his first-half hat trick,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4OxQtL_qE8&t=16s

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hooray, this and just passing are the poo poo I normally do instead of skill moves so this sounds great

quote:

We're still waiting on the specifics, but there is an upgrade to dribbling planned for FIFA 18 that will help you win more 1v1 situations, especially in online games.

While FIFA 17 can feel sluggish, FIFA 18 will offer more controls with just the left stick, which will help even casual players feel the benefit of dribbling changes in the new game.

https://youtu.be/HAgJUEDQJwk

According to Eurogamer, who played FIFA 18 at EA Play, "When you want to dribble, it happens." Wesley Yin-Poole further explains the new dribbling in FIFA 18, "The ideal forward, then is a player who can dribble well and then explode into space. So, you'll hold the bumper for close control dribbling, then smash sprint to sprint into space, getting around bemused defenders in a way you can't in FIFA 17. This is what Messi and Ronaldo are so good at in real life - the best footballers the world currently has to offer.

It's worth noting the slow dribble is back (now on the left bumper), and no touch dribble is more effective (it wasn't used much in FIFA 17)."

I've been thrashing people recently but I think it's just because all the good players are taking a break until 18 comes out lol

Every time I stop playing for a few weeks I seem a lot better when I come back though, I think just being relaxed and not caring if I win makes it a lot easier

So what's the best deal on this if I want to play 3 days early? Do I have to buy the Ronaldo thing at minimum? Are there any deals on that?

Preferably digital.

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 25, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hey random question, I got bored and started playing fifa 13 recently, started two career modes but they both crash the game whenever I try to load the save. They both became unplayable during Jan of year 2.

Is there a way to fix this or is the answer buy the newest edition?

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Stefan Prodan posted:

I've been thrashing people recently but I think it's just because all the good players are taking a break until 18 comes out lol

Every time I stop playing for a few weeks I seem a lot better when I come back though, I think just being relaxed and not caring if I win makes it a lot easier

So what's the best deal on this if I want to play 3 days early? Do I have to buy the Ronaldo thing at minimum? Are there any deals on that?

Preferably digital.

I get the feeling there's some under the hood matchmaking going on that takes your skill level into account. Every time I've been doing a bit poo poo I seem to go on a run against easier opponents and the reverse. I don't think I'm doing anything significantly different in those matches but who knows really.

As for the playing better when you're more relaxed. I get that too. I only started playing FUT in March really and felt like I've been playing catch up ever since. Now that my squads are pretty good I definitely don't care as much about my results in weekend league for example because I don't feel like I need the rewards any more.

I pre ordered the Icon edition with the 10% off thing in game for the 3 days early access. Don't care about the Icon loan players but I suppose the extra jumbo premium packs will be nice to have.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

Hooray, this and just passing are the poo poo I normally do instead of skill moves so this sounds great

Preferably digital.

Ronaldo edition is 72 bucks, Ronaldo icon edition is 80 because you can stack the 10% discount from the in game menu on to it. Both of those don't count the 1 month of ea access (which gives the three days early) which costs $10 and ads a 10% discount. I'm just gonna do the icon edition. The two jumbo premium packs a week may not be extraordinary value compared to putting 20 bucks into fifa points right away but it's nice to get something substantial staggered over the weeks and I swore to never to spend money on packs past the sticker price. Also I just found out about this unfortunate news......

The RPL dream dies a little more each year
http://www.futhead.com/17/players/68975/giuliano/

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
yeah mancini went crazy amd bought a ton of mids, kind of pushed him out

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

vivisectvnv posted:

yeah mancini went crazy amd bought a ton of mids, kind of pushed him out

Any transfers into the RPL that will be OP on fifa?

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

Seltzer posted:

Any transfers into the RPL that will be OP on fifa?

no, not really, maybe Parades if he gets an upgrade

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Seltzer posted:

Ronaldo edition is 72 bucks, Ronaldo icon edition is 80 because you can stack the 10% discount from the in game menu on to it. Both of those don't count the 1 month of ea access (which gives the three days early) which costs $10 and ads a 10% discount. I'm just gonna do the icon edition. The two jumbo premium packs a week may not be extraordinary value compared to putting 20 bucks into fifa points right away but it's nice to get something substantial staggered over the weeks and I swore to never to spend money on packs past the sticker price. Also I just found out about this unfortunate news......

The RPL dream dies a little more each year
http://www.futhead.com/17/players/68975/giuliano/

I'm PS4, so I can't do EA Access I don't think

So the cheapest thing to get the 3 extra days is regular Ronaldo edition?

I realize 20% more for 3 extra days seems dumb but hell that's like a dollar an hour per hour that I'll play it during that time so why not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if they're doing the PL player of the month SBCs again this year?

I might just stick with BPL if I get to get a really good player from SBC every month

Alternately maybe gonna do La Liga but it's just so expensive

• Locked thread