Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
It's insane how bad I am at defending in this game. But I'm having fun playing again. Might pick up 18 at launch. Any news on when the demo will be available?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

shut up blegum posted:

It's insane how bad I am at defending in this game. But I'm having fun playing again. Might pick up 18 at launch. Any news on when the demo will be available?

The 15th, I think.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I've been loving around with my copy of 17 and also am enjoying it despite knowing very little about soccer and being objectively terrible at the game. Looking forward to messing with the demo for 18.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The PES 2018 demo is out on PS4/XBox in case anyone is looking to try something a bit different :toot:

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The PES 2018 demo is out on PS4/XBox in case anyone is looking to try something a bit different :toot:

I'll give it a try. The last time I did there was broken english in the menus and the gameplay felt supppppper heavy.

e- lol Neymar in a barca kit on the cover.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 30, 2017

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Downloading it now. I know I'm all in on FIFA 18, but this demo will be fun to gently caress around with for the next week or so.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I typed up a sizable review of the pes demo but deleted it by accident. Anyways i was ready to roast pes but the gameplay was actually surprisingly quite good imo. Players feel more independent than the magnetic and animation locked players of fifa. Pace is balanced well, dribbling is good and PES close control (which is slick) makes fifas heads up dribbling look embarrassing. It feels like there is a larger array of passing and shooting opportunities in PES, it feels more nuanced. That being said the menus are byzantine, the english is still dicey, and the gaphics look good but crappy at the same time (hard to describe). I'll think about getting pes for cheap around the winter but FUT is what I care about most so fifa is a lock for me. Also being a NA player on xbox is double the reason to get fifa.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Man this game needs to fuckin come out already I need my parmos action

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Time for the new thread?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Elliptical Dick posted:

Time for the new thread?

When does the game come out, i'll make a new one but I like to have more information for the OP. THey haven't done their big "new feature" dump yet iirc.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

So remember the praise I gave to PES? well apparently the file people use every year to get real team names/logos/players etc into the game is not able to be done on an xbox, only PS4 and PC so I probably wont touch PES unless it hits like 20 bucks near christmas or something.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
PES demo seemed like crap to me

I've been playing career mode offline on world class difficulty, it's pretty fun to build my dude up and be the star of the team and poo poo and play against like 60 overall shits since I got transferred to RC Strasbourg lol

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

PES demo seemed like crap to me

Did you give it a fair shake/ get used to the controls? It felt much better than fifa to me and it seemed like it was less robotic.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Fair question, I only played like 3 games but I mean let's be honest I'm not gonna play it once FIFA comes out so I didn't want to like take tons of time to get used to it

It's totally possible I just didn't like it because it was different but I dunno it just felt very weird to me

I'll try it some more I'm sure

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

Fair question, I only played like 3 games but I mean let's be honest I'm not gonna play it once FIFA comes out so I didn't want to like take tons of time to get used to it

It's totally possible I just didn't like it because it was different but I dunno it just felt very weird to me

I'll try it some more I'm sure

Yea I was asking because I was put off by the controls at first but once I got used to them they felt quite good. I really think the pace and dribbling are better handled for sure.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Still playing 17 for the gently caress of it, TOTS Modeste reached 200 goals :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXE-9cUrxL0&t=27s

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm just playing career mode offline, it's prettty fun

my guy got transferred on loan to Ligue 2 and we just barely won the league title by like 5 points

was exciting

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Stefan Prodan posted:

I'm just playing career mode offline, it's prettty fun

my guy got transferred on loan to Ligue 2 and we just barely won the league title by like 5 points

was exciting

Do you only control your player?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Mostly I control the team because it drives me fuckin nuts when my team just instantly does some awful shot from the edge of the box when I've given them a pass where they can walk it in and get a goal

However I do sometimes just accidentally mash the play only as my player and I'll still play it out if I hit it, maybe 20% of the time

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Seltzer posted:

Yea I was asking because I was put off by the controls at first but once I got used to them they felt quite good. I really think the pace and dribbling are better handled for sure.

As someone that got PES 2017 on christmas for my PS4, PES 2018 demo felt really really the same. Slightly better handling but you know that you'll need some awful patching on PS4 to get the kits and stuff working.

There's also an issue with 2 player local with PES2017 and patches is that if you turn on the 2nd controller before selecting teams, it'll revert all custom stuff. So as stupid as it sounds, you have to select teams, and in the tactics selection screen, turn on the 2nd controller, back to select teams and then it'll work with custom kits.

We are in 2017 and as much as PES gets better, not having licenses for a lot of stuff is retarded. 2018 is the same, PC gets an hybrid engine that needs patching to look any closer to consoles, bone can't patch so poo poo licenses and PS4 can patch like PC but good luck finding a good pack and patching is annoying.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Stefan Prodan posted:

Mostly I control the team because it drives me fuckin nuts when my team just instantly does some awful shot from the edge of the box when I've given them a pass where they can walk it in and get a goal

However I do sometimes just accidentally mash the play only as my player and I'll still play it out if I hit it, maybe 20% of the time

I play as my player only and yeah, it's kind of annoying when you ask for a pass and they pass it straight to the opposition and then the manager is mad with you for asking for that pass.
But the game mode is actually kind of neat, you have total control over your player and you can run wherever you want. And when you manage to get in a good position and score a goal, it feels very rewarding.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I mean if I were playing in like a real league and not on RC Strasbourg in Ligue 2 I'd probably use it more often

but they are just SO BAD when they're all like 68 overall, like you really have to manually shoot with your AI so that they don't just power it up to 5 bars and blast it over the keeper every time, in my experience

and I mean soccer is a game where it's pretty hard to just take over the game by yourself and make up for your teammates being crap until you're like 90+ rated overall

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I've found in playing career for the first time playing just my player has been a good way to get a feel with things as a super casual soccer fan and all. My North Korean born "Han Notaspy" is on a crappy South Korean team and it's at least been helpful in showing me what the roles do nice and clearly and other basic stuff. I set my guy up as an assist focused player and having moments of getting off a rough pass to a guy who scores a clutch goal feel really neat. If I knew my poo poo more I'd probably play with the whole team more just to reduce moments of 'drat it I passed right to you and you shot into the crowd for some reason' but the game seems to do a good job of making your wins feel earned even on stupid baby mode.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
yeah when I just keep giving them dimes and they just keep kicking it into the stands I just feel like what I imagine the guys who had to play on a soccer team with me in high school who were actually good felt like

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I just scored a hattrick while only controlling my own player. :feelsgood:

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The top 100 is out. No huge surprises but Lewandowski has probably gone from expensive to mostly unaffordable now for most of next year. Same with Auba. The Bundesliga striker situation isn't looking great again.

What is everyone going to aim for next year as a main squad? I think Serie A is the ticket as always. I can't wait for the whole database to drop so I can plan my starter squads. I think I'm going turklig for that again. Or maybe a nice German hybrid with J-league podolski (providing he has a good rating).

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Yeah I don't know, Ligue 1 got gutted this summer. I don't know what leagues I'll go for. If crossing is good (as its rumored to be) it will make a lot more strikers viable, so its all up up in the air I guess.

I'll probably do a serie A squad for sure, and probably BPL for simplicities sake since it's gonna be full of overpowered players.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Is there any good resources for FUT to use if I'm familiar with the general concept from games like Madden but lack the actual sport community knowledge of what I want to actually be going for other than 'high numbers are good'?

I mean, I'm doing ok in 17 just going on the 'high numbers and maybe don't completely gut my chemistry stuff' method but it'd be nice to have a more workable knowledge.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
It boils down mostly to "get the fastest, strongest players you can", a lot like madden I guess.

That said, what stats exactly are important and what kind of players are valuable will change each year. In 17 high stamina wound up basically the most important stat for your midfielders because anything above basic level defensive meta involved running your midfielders around to break up attacks and hassle opponents, so a player with decent all around stats but 90+ stamina would be significantly more valuable than a player with very good stats but low stamina.

Chemistry is important, aside from the real tangible benefit (stat boosts from your chemistry styles) in my experience teams with high (preferably 100) chem play better as a unit, although this could be confirmation bias. It's generally ok to run a couple strong players on 7 chem, if they are good enough to the point where not having the full chem styles boost doesn't make them worse than other options. Ronaldo was played at 7 chem a lot, I used the second player of the month Son on 7 chem almost exclusively, things of that nature.

Anyway it's complex, but if you read the thread for 18 when it gets made I'm sure me and the other spergs will be talking metagame a lot and happy to answer questions as we get into the game and figure poo poo out for ourselves.

I'll say this, if you haven't played a lot of Fifa period, or online fifa in particular, it's no joke. The game is loving hard and you'll get loving crushed for a long time before you get the hang of it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh yea despite not much experiencing it myself I'm fully aware of how hardcore FIFA is online and all, I'm fully accepting I'll spend most of my time there getting wrecked by some twelve year old.

Thanks, though, that is helpful! Sounds like the only real change in mindset from stuff like Madden is Chemistry mattering a lot more. Honestly I like that if that's the case, it always felt like such a wasted stat in Madden unless there was just a few super specific combos or something like a solo challenge required it.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

sexpig by night posted:

Oh yea despite not much experiencing it myself I'm fully aware of how hardcore FIFA is online and all, I'm fully accepting I'll spend most of my time there getting wrecked by some twelve year old.

Thanks, though, that is helpful! Sounds like the only real change in mindset from stuff like Madden is Chemistry mattering a lot more. Honestly I like that if that's the case, it always felt like such a wasted stat in Madden unless there was just a few super specific combos or something like a solo challenge required it.

Chemistry in fifa is basically a restriction on how you can build an effective team, instead of just bonuses to your players if you get x number of chemistries. It's not wasted in madden at all, it's just a different design philosophy influenced by the fact that there's like 10000 basic players in fifa, and then all the special cards and poo poo on top of it. The database is so massive they feel like they have to have some kind of restrictions on how you put your teams together.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea wasted was likely the wrong word there, but yea I can see how the NFL and 'literally everyone who plays soccer professionally in the world' would lead to very different needs and chemistry would make a good way to rein things in.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

You'll probably fall into your own unique play style eventually and doing so means you'll likely look for certain stats over others. Some stats are certainly more important or "meta" but depending how you play could see you favoring different things. For instance I put tons of value on a strong weakfoot and curve compared to most of the player base because it suits my game. For instance I'll take an IF david villa over an IF aubameyang and that works better for me despite aubameyang being the "better choice". Face card stats are an ok thing to look at but they can deceiving. For instance on your striker the vision and short passing stats are basically 90% of what you should care about but there are 4 other stats that get aggregated into that overall passing stat. You learn with time what's important at what position and who best suits that.

e- you can always post your squad and I'll tell you what I think could improve it.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 11, 2017

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh drat did Ligue 1 get a lot worse? This was the first year I was gonna maybe try to do a France/Ligue 1 hybrid

Maybe I"ll just go back to BPL then so I can get in on those POTM SBCs

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

Oh drat did Ligue 1 get a lot worse? This was the first year I was gonna maybe try to do a France/Ligue 1 hybrid

I honestly don't think so. Most of the elite players are still there + neymar.

neymar,cavani,di maria,
rabiot, pastore, verratti,
kurzawa(???), silva, marquinos, alves

the only real weakness is left back and possibly the midfield but there will probably be OP players like Cyprien to slot right in.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yea I mean I just figured like SBC Cavani will be a beast and has 4*/4* right?

edit: Oh nm he was 3*/3* LOL

dunno why I thought he had 4 in both

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

He's still 3* 3* but has been awesome and relatively incredibly cheap every year.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I guess I'll figure it out when the game comes out

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Gonna run an SPFL/Championship hybrid to keep costs down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Seltzer posted:

I honestly don't think so. Most of the elite players are still there + neymar.

neymar,cavani,di maria,
rabiot, pastore, verratti,
kurzawa(???), silva, marquinos, alves

the only real weakness is left back and possibly the midfield but there will probably be OP players like Cyprien to slot right in.

Matuidi, Bernardo Silva, Aurier, Lacazette, Tolisso, Gonalons are all players I used and will miss a lot, we'll see what replacements look like.

Alves sucks rear end in Fifa imo, same for Pastore and Verratti, and I'm not a big Di Maria fan either.

• Locked thread