Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
First patch released - https://fifaforums.easports.com/en/discussion/191937/fifa-17-title-update-1

Highlights - VP stats have been nerfed, VP faces have been fixed.

Triple tap crosses nerfed, GK positioning in corners tweaked, skill move exits should have been improved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Stefan Prodan posted:

It's weird how I just go through stretches of games where I'm like "man how did I ever score any goals besides crosses or corners"

I tried the corner glitch and it didnt work at all for me, I always get insta closed down.

I never score off crosses but havent watched that video you posted yet

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard
Managed to snag SBC Son. Already had a full Korean team lined up plus loads of Premier league players. Was lucky to see you needed a TOTW player so picked up Mitro for 12k before the prices jumped up.

All in I probably spent less than 20k so it was worth it.

I do love the fact that people loaded up on so many Spurs players and got hosed when you only needed one to complete the SBC.

Edit: had a bit of a panic and wasn't thinking - bought the cheapest IF i could find (6k) and then realised how hard it would be to build a team around him. Flipped it for 12k.

Filthee Fingas fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 14, 2016

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I'm melting down, I got to the final of the weekend entry tournament 3 times and lost each one, two of them were nailbiters too.

Jesus christ.

e: I think I'm just gonna grind divisions and get in through division 1 wins or whatever it is.

e: Oh it's apparently division 2 win or holding in div 1, which are both a lot friendlier to me than single game knockouts it seems.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 14, 2016

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Filthee Fingas posted:

Managed to snag SBC Son. Already had a full Korean team lined up plus loads of Premier league players. Was lucky to see you needed a TOTW player so picked up Mitro for 12k before the prices jumped up.

I already have the IF Son (who is great btw) and didn't have many but manged to sell all my Koreans for about 60k even the bronzes go for thousands :yeah:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

The Big Taff Man posted:

I tried the corner glitch and it didnt work at all for me, I always get insta closed down.

I never score off crosses but havent watched that video you posted yet

Yeah, I mean it's not foolproof or anything it's just good to do vs people who aren't actually coming up to press you hard enough

Anyway it sounds like a lot of the corner stuff is getting fixed, that's good

I was really hoping to see something in the patch about the refs not calling enough fouls but it sounds like that's gonna continue :(
I still feel like it's way too easy for defenders to get the ball from you when they are directly behind your guy but maybe I just need to get used to mashing LT more than I currently do when people are behind me and I'm moving, like doing the tap LT thing.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Kind of lame they released another PL squad builder. Fifa already revolves too much around that league. The reward for the premiere league starting 11 challenge is pretty good though so I might do that. I'll do the whole thing if Korean player prices come down because you basically only need 3 gold cards and can fill the rest with 200 coin 63 rated bronzes.

Watch, people will stock up for the next PL player of the month and they'll switch to La Liga or something

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Seltzer posted:

Kind of lame they released another PL squad builder. Fifa already revolves too much around that league. The reward for the premiere league starting 11 challenge is pretty good though so I might do that. I'll do the whole thing if Korean player prices come down because you basically only need 3 gold cards and can fill the rest with 200 coin 63 rated bronzes.

Watch, people will stock up for the next PL player of the month and they'll switch to La Liga or something

No it will be prem every month as EA have a deal with them

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I actually just saw that, the least they could do is throw in other leagues players in the middle of the month for milestones, achievements, awards, form, etc. Did we really need that Barry card? It could've been from another league (I say this as an idiot who has the Barry card). I guess it'll be easy to trade next month now that I know the PL player of the month is a fixture. I sold a Cheol card for 9k but I didn't get lucky anywhere else. The other annoying thing about all the PL challenges is that player prices for the league have been inflated since launch since they're always been required in challenges. It costs a fortune to build an average PL side.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I've barely played non-Pro Clubs fifa, so I'm only just discovering that Clattenburg is in the game?

https://twitter.com/CelebrityRefs/status/783710710148820992

Are there any others? Mike Dean? Pierluigi Collina in the legendary packs exclusive to Xbox One?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Dang, wish I would have invested in Korean players. Had one silver korean goalie in my club and sold him for like 6k...

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

DoctaFun posted:

Anyone willing to gift me the increased transfer target and transfer list pile upgrades? I'm PhilTickelson on PSN.

I can pay you back with a poorly played match and a boost in your confidence?

i'll gift you bud, i don't really do trading, so will never use those

add me, psn: babeitskiy

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

vivisectvnv posted:

i'll gift you bud, i don't really do trading, so will never use those

add me, psn: babeitskiy

Thanks dude! I just sent you a friend request.

I don't think gifting someone an upgrade takes that upgrade away from you, but doesn't sound like it matters much either way.

I appreciate it!

Threash
May 18, 2003
Is there an XBL club? Couldn't find contact earlier in thread. GT: Threash

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone found direct free kicks to just be wildly inaccurate this year? I went to the skill games to see if I could do like one free kick consistently by just restarting the drill over and over so I got the same free kick in the advanced one (the one that makes it like an actual game situation) and even though I could basically get the same power every time I think I scored like 5% of the 23 yard one with Bale who has 86 FKA and good other stats. I haven't tried with like Pirlo or something like that but I dunno, I think they may have overcorrected a bit with the free kick accuracy, especially since people always stick someone in the net. I'm starting to wonder if it's just ever worth taking it directly at all.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

Has anyone found direct free kicks to just be wildly inaccurate this year? I went to the skill games to see if I could do like one free kick consistently by just restarting the drill over and over so I got the same free kick in the advanced one (the one that makes it like an actual game situation) and even though I could basically get the same power every time I think I scored like 5% of the 23 yard one with Bale who has 86 FKA and good other stats. I haven't tried with like Pirlo or something like that but I dunno, I think they may have overcorrected a bit with the free kick accuracy, especially since people always stick someone in the net. I'm starting to wonder if it's just ever worth taking it directly at all.

Someone did a test where they took free kicks aiming in the same place with the with the same power in 16 and 17. In 16 he hit the same spot (crossbar) like 90% of the time, in 17 it was flying all over the place. I haven't scored with a freekick yet. It's another thing like penalties that didn't need improving that was made "better/more realistic".

While we're griping, something needs to be done about defending. It's flat out atrocious and making attacking a chore. I'm having fun now because I'm only in division 5 but I can see this game becoming extremely tedious at div 3, 2, and 1. It's already really bad when I come up against someone actually good. The other obnoxious thing is it seems like defenders block shots 4 times as much in the box, so even if you work in a chance over half the time a leg comes out at 100 mph to block it. It's bizarre how EA is incapable of balance. Just look at how poo poo interceptions are now. You basically have to hope the ball hits you. Two inches away and it's whizzing right past you. The game actually intercepts the ball more when the ai is the one in the passing lane. The game is actively rewarding doing as little work as possible on defense. Some people think the defending being basically mindless is to lower the skill gap which has been an ongoing trend on video games for a long time now. I don't know if it's that or that EA is poo poo at creating a balanced and fun product.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Agree with pretty much everything you said, especially since I try to block passing lanes manually a lot it's crazy how many go right by me even when I'm jockeying in the passing lane

I feel like so many goals this year come from defenders just being megged on a key pass or a shot, so like basically the defenders will get in perfect position more than they should but even if you are in perfect position because you're good it's like they've balanced it by just making your defenders randomly miss more often than they should so you can't compensate by positioning them better because the game is kinda already doing that? I dunno, it's weird though like you said

Hopefully the shooting delay thing in the patch will help, we were playing pro clubs and I got 0 goals in a game where I should have had 3, just due to things that are getting patched. Twice my guy chested the ball down in a wide open header situation when I was breaking my shoot button, and once he just spent like an entire second winding up some haymaker kick when I was just trying to do a easy shot into an open half of the net and someone caught up and tackled me.

I've been playing with free kicks to try and figure out other plays to do like passing it off instead,but I can't figure out how to consistently pass it to the person I want out of the free kick. Sometimes I turn the camera and aim at someone and my guy kicks it a totally different direction, so that made me think it was dependent on the controller direction you were hitting like an offsides free kick but I can't get it to go to the right place doing that either so I dunno, it's weird.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I always do a ground pass on freekicks now. I used to do them a lot in 16 as well because of all the people putting players on the line. My one tip would be if you have no intention of taking the kick switch to a kick taker that has an opposite strong foot to the starting player. The angle/player switch convinces 95% of people that you're going to take a freekick and a lot of them will move players towards goal giving you more options.

As for the shooting delay, I haven't noticed it much. I think the cone of vision on passing and defense in general are the two biggest issues in the game. Obviously I'd like them to fix everything though.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I just mean like with ground passes from the free kick I can't seem to always get them to go to the guy I want, I tried practicing it in the advanced skill game but maybe every 3 times I would go like wait wtf why did you pass it down when I aimed completely to the left???

I wish you could do driven passes from the free kick but you can't since that's the call third player button

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Do the flicked layoff thingy, nobody expects it and it makes you look like a skilling douch. Which is a good thing, imo.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah I just mean like with ground passes from the free kick I can't seem to always get them to go to the guy I want, I tried practicing it in the advanced skill game but maybe every 3 times I would go like wait wtf why did you pass it down when I aimed completely to the left???

I wish you could do driven passes from the free kick but you can't since that's the call third player button

When you're doing a ground pass from the freekick set up literally look at the guy you want to pass to and press a (aim the camera at them). I never really aim with the stick beyond that and it goes right to them. Usually you'll have someone unmarked close to you.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Seltzer posted:

When you're doing a ground pass from the freekick set up literally look at the guy you want to pass to and press a (aim the camera at them). I never really aim with the stick beyond that and it goes right to them. Usually you'll have someone unmarked close to you.

Hm maybe that works with A passes, any idea how to get through balls to go where you want? I have tried the camera thing and like for example if you try to aim left with the camera then hit through ball my guy keeps hitting it to the right (down once the camera zooms out) every time on a through ball

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Bought this on Friday. It's a real improvement over the last couple fifa games.

Defending is weird as hell. The challenge button is basically worthless, but it seems like as long as you only only try to cut off passes the computer will do most of the defending for you.

My only big gripe is the injuries. I've gotten an injury a game for the last four games. It's really annoying because it makes having a fitness squad almost pointless. Also lower extremity healing cards cost like 2k, which is insane.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
somrap nioj

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

blue footed boobie posted:

Bought this on Friday. It's a real improvement over the last couple fifa games.

Defending is weird as hell. The challenge button is basically worthless, but it seems like as long as you only only try to cut off passes the computer will do most of the defending for you.

My only big gripe is the injuries. I've gotten an injury a game for the last four games. It's really annoying because it makes having a fitness squad almost pointless. Also lower extremity healing cards cost like 2k, which is insane.

Seems that the injury issue is something they carried from 16 but only on UT. I played plenty of Career mode matches and they didn't happen often.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Guillermus posted:

Seems that the injury issue is something they carried from 16 but only on UT. I played plenty of Career mode matches and they didn't happen often.

Haven't played career yet, so Idk. I only played fut on 16 briefly and I don't remember it being this bad.

Also, anyone having issues with the mobile app/web app? It's saying I haven't played enough to access the transfer market.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think injuries are more frequent in 17 but I can't really be sure. Now that they removed the players being stretchered out of the game they're a lot less annoying.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
they are definetely more frequent, but it isn't really an issue unless you are a total scrub and don't run a fitness squad

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

vivisectvnv posted:

they are definetely more frequent, but it isn't really an issue unless you are a total scrub and don't run a fitness squad

I have a fitness squad!!!!! And I have a player injured in my fitness squad and regular squad. The injuries seem weirdly unrelated to fitness. I've been having a lot of fresh players getting injured in the first half of games. OTOH, there are two players I've been running into the ground to fill in for the injured guys, and they seem to be invincible.

Given the price of fitness cards, I guess I'll have to have a full line of backups for both my fitness squad and regular squads.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I did the EPL marquee matchup challenge this weekend, since I had a bunch of EPL players I don't use. Spent probably 7k total on the squad(needed a Man U CM so had to buy Ander Herrera).

My pack was mostly EPL discards, but got Bravo in there, which is pretty nice. Threw him in my squad for now, but might sell him. I dunno.

Anyone having any luck trading currently? My method of finding near discard LW or RW from Liga Nos teams(preferably teams that only have 1 LW or 1 RW, so people need those guys for the Liga NOS challenges) isn't working great anymore. I'm thinking because most people who have done the Liga Nos or MLS challenges have already done so since the prices are pretty insane for a lot of guys.

By the time I get rid of my trade pile I'll have around 70k probably. The SBCs are driving so much of the market right now it's just crazy.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
What's an SBC?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I never start anyone under 85 fitness and I have injuries all the time, I think they are at least twice as common as last year

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Super Bitchin' Centerbacks. You know, Stones, Terry, etc.

JK, Squad Building Challenges, the new FUT thing.

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard

Stefan Prodan posted:

I never start anyone under 85 fitness and I have injuries all the time, I think they are at least twice as common as last year

I'm pretty OCD about it and never play a team twice. Rotate every game to ensure 99 fitness

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yep that's pretty OCD

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
Its easy to just make two squads that are the inverse of each other and then switch squads after each match. Takes no time at all.

With regards to the SBCs - the marquee matches are becoming ridiculous now in terms of how quick people jump on and prices sky rocket. Ajax/PSG/OM/Fey players are all ready overpriced (I wouldnt spend more than discard prices on players for the risk of it not being in a marquee matchup). Also you will only need 2 or 3 players from each team with the remainder of the players coming from the same league.

I've been making good coin looking two weeks in advance and loading up on players for cheap (approx. 300 coin 75 rated golds) from those teams.

For instance, the following weekend Villa play Birmingham City which is the second city derby. I've loaded up on Westwoods at 300-400 coin each as well as picked up a full team of each to store in my club. All next week people will be posting their SBC ideas all over reddit/ea forums and will drive up the price. Worst case is it's not an SBC and you lose next to nothing given you're buying at discard prices.

If you're not convinced, look at the Austria Wien - Rapid Wien players for example. This hasn't been confirmed as an SBC and silvers are going for over 1k now because of the attention it's getting.

EDIT:
Ended up loading up on loads of Micah Richards. Westwood is now selling around 400 coins which will cost you more if the team isnt in the SBC the following week. You can get Richards for 650 coins with discard value of 616. So even if you picked up 150 of them, most you'd lose is 5k.

Filthee Fingas fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 18, 2016

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I've never had a fitness squad and I'm not gonna make one. I'd rather blow coins on fitness and injury cards and just play with my best squad, thank you very much.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Filthee Fingas posted:

Its easy to just make two squads that are the inverse of each other and then switch squads after each match. Takes no time at all.

With regards to the SBCs - the marquee matches are becoming ridiculous now in terms of how quick people jump on and prices sky rocket. Ajax/PSG/OM/Fey players are all ready overpriced (I wouldnt spend more than discard prices on players for the risk of it not being in a marquee matchup). Also you will only need 2 or 3 players from each team with the remainder of the players coming from the same league.

I've been making good coin looking two weeks in advance and loading up on players for cheap (approx. 300 coin 75 rated golds) from those teams.

For instance, the following weekend Villa play Birmingham City which is the second city derby. I've loaded up on Westwoods at 300-400 coin each as well as picked up a full team of each to store in my club. All next week people will be posting their SBC ideas all over reddit/ea forums and will drive up the price. Worst case is it's not an SBC and you lose next to nothing given you're buying at discard prices.

If you're not convinced, look at the Austria Wien - Rapid Wien players for example. This hasn't been confirmed as an SBC and silvers are going for over 1k now because of the attention it's getting.

EDIT:
Ended up loading up on loads of Micah Richards. Westwood is now selling around 400 coins which will cost you more if the team isnt in the SBC the following week. You can get Richards for 650 coins with discard value of 616. So even if you picked up 150 of them, most you'd lose is 5k.

Oh I never said it was hard and I did it, I just mean it's OCD to switch back and forth every match. Even at like 85-90, dudes are still fine

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I've never had a fitness squad and I'm not gonna make one. I'd rather blow coins on fitness and injury cards and just play with my best squad, thank you very much.

If you're cool and handsome you build two really good squads and there is no 'best' squad.

Also I just qualified for the weekend league my first try this week after losing in the finals like 6 of the previous 8 attempts.

I am happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Apparently a console patch dropped and it fixed shooting + passing delay and made dribbling a bit better. The biggest issue (defending) got left untouched however.

• Locked thread