Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard

Stefan Prodan posted:

Oh I never said it was hard and I did it, I just mean it's OCD to switch back and forth every match. Even at like 85-90, dudes are still fine

Yeah I never let them drop below 90. What i don't get is when you see players on the transfer market will like 10 fitness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Filthee Fingas posted:

Yeah I never let them drop below 90. What i don't get is when you see players on the transfer market will like 10 fitness.

Yeah I think 85-90 is fine, although I've seen really good youtubers who are doing their road to glory poo poo where they are only allowed to use coins from games play with dudes on like 60-70 fitness because they can't afford a second squad yet, and they seem to do fine but they're also like still in division 10/9 at the time and are pros

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Seltzer posted:

Apparently a console patch dropped and it fixed shooting + passing delay and made dribbling a bit better. The biggest issue (defending) got left untouched however.

And the second biggest issue, the refs :(

It does say the AI will attack more directly now so I assume that means in pro clubs we can maybe be a little more reliant on the AI when we don't have an any

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 18, 2016

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
yeah from my experience if you let fitness drop below 90, some players are really prone to picking up hammie/leg injuries after the game

got to div5, still using my two RPL squads, not planning on upgrading quite yet, but definitely seeing some diminishing returns, still having a blast with these guys though:

dzagoev doing a chest down and blasting an outside the box half volley against neuer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XryZfPo5cb0
smolov with close to a 30 yarder, not sure if he has the long shot trait, but he has had a few of these for me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzhqYSmdVyo
my fullback denisov with a lovely 25 yard knuckler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYaJPnqYbIs
dzagoev with a sharp angle bomb coming from a nice run from the mid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V40fhs-lL8

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh I had a crazy run of games yesterday too, I got home from doing errands, lost 4 games in a row in division 4, went "man I'm poo poo at this game, what the hell", then I drew the next one, then I just went "ok I just need to win 3 to stay up then I can try to work on advancing next time, whatever", but then I won 5 in a row!

Division 3 ahoy

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I make a Russian fitness squad every year. They're always decent, cheap, and fun as hell. Shame hulk and Doumbia aren't in the RPL this year.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
The striker situation is a bummer. Dzyuba and Smolov aren't cutting it. I have OTW Giuliano in a false 9 with witsel and shatov but the false 9 seems to suck this year. I can't get my wingers to make good runs which wasn't a problem in every other fifa.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
kind of weird, but this is the first year i have had to diverge from my tried and tested wide 4-1-2-1-2, due to the high quality of CM/CAM/CDMs available in the RPL this year and the lack of a speedy striker upfront to pair with a Dzyuba/Smolov

so i went to an attacking 4-3-3 and actually kind of like it, i find the wingers to make the run and routes that are adaptable to the formation, much more so when i tried the wide 4-2-3-1

but to each their own i guess

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Seltzer posted:

The striker situation is a bummer. Dzyuba and Smolov aren't cutting it. I have OTW Giuliano in a false 9 with witsel and shatov but the false 9 seems to suck this year. I can't get my wingers to make good runs which wasn't a problem in every other fifa.

All players insist on getting behind the ball at the oddest times, it's very annoying when wingers do it.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
It's probably worth trying to move giuliano up to striker, but I've been using a 4-3-3 with my RPL squad, and it's been working well.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Man I'm so bad about like only wanting the ~perfect~ shot before I actually hit shoot, I keep having games where I have 60% posession and 4 shots because I just passed it around their box all day waiting for someone to have like no defender in front of him at all before shooting, I really should get used to just like mashing shoot sometimes and just hoping the defender misses or that I get a corner or something, I feel like other people are getting in a lot more lucky bounce/rebound/corner goals than me since they're at least trying to put something on instead of trying to basically pass it in like I do

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So there's this french 75 rated CM named Bryan Dabo who has pretty decent stats, I applied the Sentinel style on him and he's been an incredible CDM for me, his stats are rather impressive on full chem:

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

This will probably be the last time I bring this up since it's not provable either way and can enter scripting/momentum tinfoil territory but I'll reiterate that the stat boosts simply don't feel like as big as they're claimed to be and that I saw a high level pro player answering questions about this years edition and echoed my sentiments exactly. He said what I thought earlier- chem styles confer a boost but not near what EA has said they do. The guy who said this is the same guy who would use the non-upgraded 83 Griezmann over the 84 nif Griezmann in tournaments because he knew that card performed better from hours of playing despite it going against logic. This was before his thoughts were confirmed by the chemgate poo poo that showed that upgraded nif cards were on base chem. So basically I trust the pro's opinion on the matter.

Again a lot of it is subjective, how you play etc. and I do believe that certain combinations of stats, height, traits, body type etc, can create players that play way better than expected. Sometimes I'm almost certain they've entered the stats wrong. There's no way fifa 13 Arnautovic played like his stats or 15 Deulofeu for example. Dabo looks like a nice card though, him an Tolisso will be great if they get IFs again.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Filthee Fingas posted:

With regards to the SBCs - the marquee matches are becoming ridiculous now in terms of how quick people jump on and prices sky rocket. Ajax/PSG/OM/Fey players are all ready overpriced (I wouldnt spend more than discard prices on players for the risk of it not being in a marquee matchup). Also you will only need 2 or 3 players from each team with the remainder of the players coming from the same league.

I've been making good coin looking two weeks in advance and loading up on players for cheap (approx. 300 coin 75 rated golds) from those teams.

For instance, the following weekend Villa play Birmingham City which is the second city derby. I've loaded up on Westwoods at 300-400 coin each as well as picked up a full team of each to store in my club. All next week people will be posting their SBC ideas all over reddit/ea forums and will drive up the price. Worst case is it's not an SBC and you lose next to nothing given you're buying at discard prices.

If you're not convinced, look at the Austria Wien - Rapid Wien players for example. This hasn't been confirmed as an SBC and silvers are going for over 1k now because of the attention it's getting.

EDIT:
Ended up loading up on loads of Micah Richards. Westwood is now selling around 400 coins which will cost you more if the team isnt in the SBC the following week. You can get Richards for 650 coins with discard value of 616. So even if you picked up 150 of them, most you'd lose is 5k.

That's good advice, I wish I followed non-EPL leagues in Europe more, I just don't know what the big matchups are outside of when a few big teams play eachother, something like Real Madrid vs. Barcelona, Napoli/Roma/Juventus, Bayern/Dortmund, etc. I know there's probably a lot of rivalries(even in the EPL) that I just don't know about being an American dude. Like for all I know Crystal Palace and Swansea have a fierce historical rivalry.

Is this forum safe enough to do some of those predictions or would we see enough randos watching this thread and ruining it for everyone? By the time you see anything on the Fifa forums, prices have already skyrocketed like you said.

It's a ways off in the future, but they we have Real Madrid / Atletico on November 17th, and two weeks later there's RM/Barca. Those are pretty good bets, but too far off, you don't want 30 'Paco Alcacer's clogging up your transfer list for a month.

Of course, chances are if you stock up on cheap gold players from any big club they'll eventually be in some SBC. I think the real money comes from the lesser known leagues, where it's easier to stock up on those cheap golds and less casual folks like myself are really aware of the rivalries/matchups.

ESPECIALLY if they do some south american leagues, I always try to solve SBCs with South American squads if I can, just run into problems if there's overall team rating requirements usually.

Anyways, I'd be up for doing a bit of research and posting recommendations, take them or leave them, but would probably need help from some folks as to what's a good/bad bet. For instance, 11 days from now there's a nice Serie A matchup(Napoli/Juventus), but not sure of that other than I know those are two of the better serie a squads.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Seltzer posted:

This will probably be the last time I bring this up since it's not provable either way and can enter scripting/momentum tinfoil territory but I'll reiterate that the stat boosts simply don't feel like as big as they're claimed to be and that I saw a high level pro player answering questions about this years edition and echoed my sentiments exactly. He said what I thought earlier- chem styles confer a boost but not near what EA has said they do. The guy who said this is the same guy who would use the non-upgraded 83 Griezmann over the 84 nif Griezmann in tournaments because he knew that card performed better from hours of playing despite it going against logic. This was before his thoughts were confirmed by the chemgate poo poo that showed that upgraded nif cards were on base chem. So basically I trust the pro's opinion on the matter.

Again a lot of it is subjective, how you play etc. and I do believe that certain combinations of stats, height, traits, body type etc, can create players that play way better than expected. Sometimes I'm almost certain they've entered the stats wrong. There's no way fifa 13 Arnautovic played like his stats or 15 Deulofeu for example. Dabo looks like a nice card though, him an Tolisso will be great if they get IFs again.

Until chemgate 2 comes along we'll never know for sure. As I said, I think it's safe to assume that any stat that people know how to measure (basically only dribbling) get the proper boost, as for the rest, placebo is a hell of a drug. I think some stats just don't make much of a noticeable difference or have rather unimpressive returns when you hit the upper end of the range, Pace for instance, it feels like the difference between 87 and 98 isn't that huge, I have Di Maria and first I used catalyst on him but I felt he couldn't really burst past players despite his pace, then I switched to Sniper that has a +15 dribbling boost and no pace boost and it feels like no one can catch up to him.

Either way, Dabo feels like a stonewall to me, his height plays a huge part in it for sure but he really feels like no one can push him off the ball and I don't believe it would have been that way with only 79 str.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Seltzer posted:

I still have a cheap team because I haven't played much, but I do remember running into IF cards in the past that just felt broken and worse than the regular cards. What I'm saying is it's a funny old fifa, and it all seems to be somewhat of a craps shoot.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Seltzer posted:

I absolutely agree that there's no way the boosts are providing +5 per stat per chevron.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

I haven't played in a minute but would love to get on PS4 Parmos. Sent a transfer request as DJCrabhat (apache invited me, yell at him)

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
still waiting for my invite :(

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
The fact that 90% of posts in this thread are about all your retarded FUT squads makes this thread suck.

I hope the patch improves things, the game is way too counter attack heavy right now which I don't think the patch resolves. I hope they try to fix it later. Last year's game was all about passing and build up, this game wants you to play as quick as possible or risk getting it taken from your back line by overly aggressive forwards (super unrealistic).

It still improved many things. The in game engine is the exact same though, they did some manipulative advertising to act like the whole game uses IGNITE but it only is for Alex Hunter mode. Also, I cannot loving believe the game still has the same glitches and lag that it's had for a few versions now.

Apache Chief
May 21, 2011

ManoliIsFat posted:

I haven't played in a minute but would love to get on PS4 Parmos. Sent a transfer request as DJCrabhat (apache invited me, yell at him)

finally someone cool that i want to play with

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Apache Chief posted:

finally someone cool that i want to play with

:mad:

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Anyone up for a little experiment?

Next weekend(10/29) is the 'Moscow Derby' between Spartak Moscow and CSKA Moscow. It's one of the bigger rivalries in the league(according to my quick googling). I don't think there's been any Russian League marquees either.

I'm loading up on some cheaper golds and any cheap rare silvers(Milanov) that I can get my hands on.

I'm thinking about posting on the Fifa forums about it now(since this coming weekend's marquee match-ups are already gouged). Then wait to see if prices rise on those cheaper golds and hopefully cash out early and a.) restock if others are reasonably confident in the matchup, or b.) get out while the getting is good.

Anyone interested? I've got a decent collection of Mauricio's/Bocchetti's(all other CBs are 1K+) and Ze Luis(cheapest gold striker) . Not a ton of discard golds on either team.

DoctaFun fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 19, 2016

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard

DoctaFun posted:

Anyone up for a little experiment?

Next weekend(10/29) is the 'Moscow Derby' between Spartak Moscow and CSKA Moscow. It's one of the bigger rivalries in the league(according to my quick googling). I don't think there's been any Russian League marquees either.

I'm loading up on some cheaper golds and any cheap rare silvers(Milanov) that I can get my hands on.

I'm thinking about posting on the Fifa forums about it now(since this coming weekend's marquee match-ups are already gouged). Then wait to see if prices rise on those cheaper golds and hopefully cash out early and a.) restock if others are reasonably confident in the matchup, or b.) get out while the getting is good.

Anyone interested? I've got a decent collection of Mauricio's/Bocchetti's(all other CBs are 1K+) and Ze Luis(cheapest gold striker) . Not a ton of discard golds on either team.

Only thing I'd consider is the fact that some people think there will be a russian marquee this weekend so you may find some russian prices inflated. I may hold on this until saturday's get announced and people who did think it was going to be a russian matchup will dump their players.

Also if anyone else wants an easy way to make money and has the cash - OTW Trading is so easy. Basically been using Morata and Mane. Buy them when they're the cheapest on tues/wed and just sell them before their matches on the weekend.

For instance, OTW Mane plays west brom on Saturday. His price is around 130k right now. If you look at the price history, it shot up to 155k before the Man U game. Just sell him before the match and take the profit. If he doesn't score, then you got another opportunity to make money off him and buying him cheap again the week later.

Filthee Fingas fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 19, 2016

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
fyi, spartak/cska is THE russian derby, lokomotiv/cska is very much 3rd tier, i would say way behind zenit/cska

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
So what's the deal? Prices on RPL players are going to go up because there will likely be an RPL themed SBC?

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
I'd like to purchase 10,000 orange futures.

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004

blue footed boobie posted:

So what's the deal? Prices on RPL players are going to go up because there will likely be an RPL themed SBC?

Pretty much. And people are irrational and willing to spend 2-3k coins for one silver player to complete their SBC and get a silver pack out of it.

I wish I could short this market as well. Someone clearly bought a bunch of OTW Gaitan and doctored a "leaked" TOTW image with him in it and prices jumped 50%. I can see him not being in the TOTW and dropping down half in value.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Im gonna buy a John Stone OTW

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Modeste one of my top 3 strikers got an unexpected IF with an amazing card picture. Get in. Modeste is seriously Diego Costa for 400 coins. He's going to even better now.

e- Oh poo poo Florenzi too. I need both of those. I might have to shift off IF manolas and some other expensive cards
e2- Walcott got an IF with +6 shooting for missing 300 goals

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 19, 2016

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
i see that FUT has now gone full autist

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I've used Modeste in my squad as a backup but I never find him to be that good, he just seems thoroughly mediocre at everything and he's kinda tall but crosses are nerfed a bit now because of the goalies coming out aggressively like they did in 16. Now I tend to do ground crosses or driven passes where their height is totally irrelevant.

I guess I feel like if you just want a strong cheap header guy you might as well get Gomez, he's almost identical in stats but has enough long shots to be able to do okay at those too, and since long shots are so good this year it seems like not bad to have

He has better weak foot, and only 2* skills instead of 3*, but like really what 3* skills are you ever going to do? If you don't have at least 4 then it makes no difference whether you have 2 or 3 I think.

I guess Gomez is slightly slower but you aren't beating anyone off the line with 76 pace anyway. He also has High attacking workrate which I don't know how much stock I put into that but some people are pretty :tinfoil: about it so it could be important

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 19, 2016

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
God wtf I went away for a year and all the acronyms have changed. Is OTW the same as in form/IF?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

blue footed boobie posted:

God wtf I went away for a year and all the acronyms have changed. Is OTW the same as in form/IF?

It's Ones to Watch, it's a black colored card that takes on the stats of whatever the highest IF card exists for that player

Speaking of Bundesliga players though I almost have enough coins to buy Vidal :getin:

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 19, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

I've used Modeste in my squad as a backup but I never find him to be that good, he just seems thoroughly mediocre at everything and he's kinda tall but crosses are nerfed a bit now because of the goalies coming out aggressively like they did in 16. Now I tend to do ground crosses or driven passes where their height is totally irrelevant.

I destroy with Modeste and heading only got nerfed on corners, not open play. Gomez was crap for me while Modeste rules. Also the pace and dribbling differences are slight but noticeable. I beat the backline with Modeste and hold players off, I don't with Gomez. To each their own though.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I mean, a lot of the empirical "this player did well for me and this player didn't" stuff just sounds like sample size to me, to be honest

I find it very hard to believe that EA like systematically coded some players to be better than their stats or something, and unless they did that I don't see any reason he would be magically better

Not saying your experience didn't happen, just that it's well within the bounds of randomness

I know you are gonna counter with "well the chemistry poo poo was all broken" but that was like an entire system that didn't work, and didn't work in a predictable way and one that made sense. If you can make an argument for why some players would be better than their stats I'll listen but I haven't heard one that makes any sense to me

That's also not true about corners in open play, any time you are crossing from near the back line they have definitely been nerfed. If you do a lot of early crosses or like crosses from maybe the penalty spot distance or so those are probably still fine but the goalies absolutely rush out to get more crosses in any situation than before.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Stefan Prodan posted:

It's Ones to Watch, it's a black colored card that takes on the stats of whatever the highest IF card exists for that player

Speaking of Bundesliga players though I almost have enough coins to buy Vidal :getin:

Got it. Thanks.

Still poor and I just bought IF Immobile. His stats look tasty as gently caress for a not-quite-cheap-but-not-expensive striker.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If you mostly score from crosses though I would find it really cool if you did like a writeup with screenshots or video or something of what you find the best situations or timing to do on them is, I can do them sometimes but I dunno if I'm doing like the highest % chances. I used to take them to the backline but now that's terrible so I dunno.

Do you hit anything when it's in the air or do you just let the CPU do all the positioning and poo poo?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Supposedly you should run to the back line and cross to the far post. It hasn't really worked out that great for me, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

I mean, a lot of the empirical "this player did well for me and this player didn't" stuff just sounds like sample size to me, to be honest

I find it very hard to believe that EA like systematically coded some players to be better than their stats or something, and unless they did that I don't see any reason he would be magically better

Not saying your experience didn't happen, just that it's well within the bounds of randomness

I know you are gonna counter with "well the chemistry poo poo was all broken" but that was like an entire system that didn't work, and didn't work in a predictable way and one that made sense. If you can make an argument for why some players would be better than their stats I'll listen but I haven't heard one that makes any sense to me

I'm not talking about any chemistry poo poo. I've used both players for a lot of games and Modeste is better for me. In a 433 with m/m workrates and stay central he's always in the right place where I had trouble with Gomez under the same instructions. He's faster than Gomez, has better physical attributes, and has the power header trait. That's how he's better, nothing random about it. Gomez has 40 less overall stats and probably is only an 82 because of international reputation. At the end of the day if you score more with an "average" player than another better player that's all that matters. Different players suit different styles of play and average players frequently out perform good ones.

Stefan Prodan posted:

If you mostly score from crosses though I would find it really cool if you did like a writeup with screenshots or video or something of what you find the best situations or timing to do on them is, I can do them sometimes but I dunno if I'm doing like the highest % chances. I used to take them to the backline but now that's terrible so I dunno.

Do you hit anything when it's in the air or do you just let the CPU do all the positioning and poo poo?

I'm not gonna do a big write up but simple crossing is what works this year. I never did crosses from the backline so that's probably why you're getting intercepted. I cross from around where the edge of the box starts with my winger ideally at a 45 degree angle. I'll cross shorter or farther up the pitch depending on the run of the striker. I power up halfway to shoot at the top of the cross (a little more if the player is far out) and I aim far post. It's that simple. No running to the byline, early crosses etc. I'm sure you could be more nuanced and score more but I'm doing just fine.

• Locked thread