Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Am I the only one feeling the WL burn? There's something about that whole thing that somewhat feels like a chore, I know it's stupid but it's the competitive\ranked nature of that whole thing that kind of compels you to play more games than you actually would want.

I think I'm just gonna give this weekend a pass.

Oh yeah definitely it can feel like a chore, but at least now with the auto qualification is you hit gold 3 (18 wins) you don't have to test your luck midweek with tourneys anymore. I set my goal for 18 wins, which even if I'm playing like poo poo is not a problem, and if things go well I'll go for more, and if not I'll stop at 18 and call it quits. With the new extended amount of play time it's not TOO bad in terms of games played per day, but yeah 30-40 games over a few days is a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Seltzer posted:

Looks like EA officially wants people to stop speculating the poo poo out of the marquee matchups. Each one only requires one player from each team.

Yeah, pleasant surprise. I think I spent 25k or so coins to make all 4 (and most of them on the turkish league one) and got bonnuci and some discard value movember card out of it, so that's ok.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Filthee Fingas posted:

Anyone think there's ELO going on in the weekend league? It seems really streaky. Lost my first 3 games (you're right 3 ATB was poo poo) so switched to a 4321 formation and then won my next 3. Then lost my next 4 then switched to a 433 formation and won my next 4.

There is, yes, as far as I know. The top 100 have a skill rating assigned that isn't strictly linear in terms of how many wins out of 40 you get, ie, there's people with 37 wins who have a higher displayed skill rating than people with 39 wins.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Filthee Fingas posted:

Despite the weekend league being so exhausting, it's pretty drat addictive. Told myself I'd stop at 18 wins and I still got 10 games remaining.

Yeah, it's a combination of loving annoying/exhausting/frustrating/also really cool.

For the first time there's a genuine competition focused side of the game that gives out great (or if you're really good, absolutely insane) rewards, and you play a lot of genuinely good players.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I am having a loving terrible weekend, 10-12 so far.

If I can squeek past 18 wins this week I'll be happy, jesus.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Seltzer posted:

I swear EA dropped an in form Kante into everyone's club who qualified for weekend league and I just didn't notice.

Yeah I saw him basically every game as well and he's such a loving problem, like without a doubt that is the best box to box player in the game right now.

I wound up going 18-20, which is the first time I've been on the wrong side of 50%, or even really close to it, last weekend I hit 21 wins and still had 6 or so games left and tapped out, and had similar success the previous weeks I played.

The game felt really terrible at times this weekend, and I almost gave up a bunch of times, but it's worth it to me I think both in the rewards sense and so I don't have to worry about qualifying during the week.

I think part if it was playing with new squads that I wasn't quite happy with, like each team had a couple players I really love (OTW Giulano is amazing and really cheap and is sure to get more upgrades, if you have a use for a good russian league CAM from brazil) but overall it wasn't quite what I was 'comfortable' with.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I was absolutely destroying some poor guy yesterday and I took the foot off the gas like 60th minute up 4-0, deliberately stopping and passing back in like 3 or 4 completely open 1 on 1 with the keeper attacks, and he snuck in a single goal in the 85th minute and dabbed on me.

Way to make me regret showing sportsmanship.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I'll have about 85k, but I'm buying Martial and Kante for sure already so call it around half that in reality, gonna look at picking up Naingollan for my Serie A team probably and that's about it.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Hey so the untradeable inform sbc is pretty cool, got inform David Luiz.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I had a good weekend as well, 21-15.

I was 21-13 and thought well if I can win 4 of my last 6 I can get to gold 1 but then immediately lost two games in a row in lovely fashion and was like haha nevermind.

I missed the first weekend unfortunately so no gold monthly for me, which sucks, but oh well.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

The Big Taff Man posted:

If you can afford him Kante is by far the best defensive midfielder in the game imo

Seriously, I know it's "lame" to use the players everyone else does but when even the pros who have stacked full inform ronaldo/neymar/bale teams are still finding ways to fit him in He's Probably Pretty Good.

e: Also, Matic over Schneiderlin by far, in my opinion.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

The Big Taff Man posted:

Someone told me to play Fernandinho but I refer Matic tbh.

I'm running Matic/Dembele/Kante right now and holy poo poo is it good. They're all actually decent-ish on the attack but incredibly overwhelmingly good on defense. I've got Son/Musa (I'm such a piece of poo poo)/Martial up front now, with inform David Luiz and Smalling at CB and I think I only lost 3 games of the ~15 I played with it this weekend.

Weirdly the paceyness of the attack isn't even usually what gets me goals, but the threat of sweaty play opens up a lot of room because people see it and are so focused on dealing with the pace that they neglect other parts of defending.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Seltzer posted:

Get David Villa

After hearing many good things about him, I did, and built a team around him for the weekend league this weekend and everything, and while testing the squad out in divisions he scored an absolutely filthy goal for me that I of course forgot to save.

But yeah, get Villa, you can build him for like 20-25k right now.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Dang, nice. I only played two weekends so I got silver, looking at gold for sure this month, but it would probably be elite if I was able to play all 5 weekends.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
For me the big issue is just consistency, from game to game and within a game. Like, I can play well and get a lead and then do stupid stuff and give away leads late and poo poo.

When I'm on my game it just feels really good and I rarely, rarely meet people I feel like I stand no chance against (I've bumped into a couple top 100 players on fridays and got wrecked each time), but I make sooo many stupid drat mistakes and give away leads or advantages against players I should beat.

A good one today was againt a guy who scored early but I then dominated the rest of the game, evening it up in like the 30th minute, and he went full on park the bus pass it around the back for the entire rest of the game, into extra time, playing specifically to get to penalties. I had a bunch of good chances but just had a bad shooting game. The joke here is that my penalty win rate is like 90+%, so I hit all 4 of my shots and he missed 2 of his first 3 and lost.

Obviously it would have been nice to win early, especially with all the opportunities I had, but the idea of a guy who is god awful at penalties playing specifically to get to them really cracked me up.

I also had a game where I scored 6 goals and still lost to a 90th minute counter attack, 6-7. Neither of our goalies had a single save.
Part of my problem is just that I refuse to play to protect a lead, which probably means I'm really incredibly dumb, but whatever, I'm here to score some loving goals.

e:

Stefan Prodan posted:

By the way Seltzer I'm thinkin if they do come out with a Bundesliga SBC chances are it will require some TOTWs and especially Dortmund ones if it's gonna be Aubameyang so it might be good to grab a couple cheap Dortmund IFs, right?

As of right now, it's probably gonna be Lewandowski I think? Pretty sure every league has been the previous season's top scorer (that's still in the league this year)

hopterque fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 11, 2016

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Well yeah, I don't play like an idiot with a lead on purpose, it just keeps happening somehow!

Maybe I'm an idiot.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
He's good, 50k is a lot though, I spent like 20-25k.

I couldn't get a squad working for him this weekend that felt good so I switched it up but he's great.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

The Big Taff Man posted:

Qualified for the weekend league for the first time. Played 24, won 5. gently caress me its sweaty compared to normal play. Really didnt enjoy it at all

Dang, that's rough. And yeah, people play hard in fut champs.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Stefan Prodan posted:

Also the worst thing about weekend league is that people fuckin back out 90% of the time if they see you didn't just get the game this year, it's really bad

I also for some reason made the mistake of equipping the gold reward weekend league kit and they always backed out when they saw that if they hadn't from my 2013 club creation date already

Switching from PC to ps4 reset my club established date so I don't have this problem, thankfully.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

TheBigAristotle posted:

It sounds a bit like FUT is ruining FIFA. I think we should stop feeding EA's cash addiction

i've never spent any money on FUT.

Its still cool.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
My schedule only shows through this next weekend for whatever reason and there's no silvers this week.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

TheBigAristotle posted:

The popularity of the mode feeds the market.

Think of the children.

Think of that guy who came in bragging about spending like 800 bucks that could have gone towards his entry-level BMW.

lmao the best part was the "if you guys are melting down about 800 dollars you should see the guys in the hearthstone thread!!!"

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Trying to enter the football game market without the FIFA licensing bonanza is suicide, EA could poo poo out crap football games for over a decade and remain relevant solely through the power of licensing and Big Names, Pro Evo evaporated a couple of years once it lost its gameplay edge.

Nobody wants to play as North London Blue or Merseyside Red and control players named Dave Louis or Bob Fireman.

Hope you did the squad builder for the MLS MVP David Mansion card!

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Konami basically sells no copies outside of japan as far as I know. I'm not actually sure how they're even still able to afford to make the game.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
2k5 was great but it was pretty broken yeah.

Also Record Breaker or whatever Buffon SBC, 89 rated special buffon, 4 juve players and 85 overall/100 chem is all it requires. So if you've got a couple of the high rated juve CBs you're set.

e: Even with inflated prices right now that means a top 3 GK for like maybe 60k or so? You can do like 1 87, 1 86, 1 85, and 3 84s 3 83s and 2 82s.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 13, 2016

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Seltzer posted:

Buffon has that trait where he doesn't come out for crosses too.

yeah but so does literally every other keeper, apparently.

e: on the other hand you can sell all your guys for max price and buy them back in a couple days.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 14, 2016

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Weekend rewards are out and in my 2nd all rare megapack I get a walkout and the portuguese flag drops and I'm like noooooo loving way and its loving Pepe of course.

About had a drat heart attack for that second thinking I had packed Big Ron.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
So there's something going on for the next two weeks with fut champions starting tomorrow apparently. People who would normally have autoqualified due to last weeks performance aren't qualified, and the calendar for the fut champs schedule ends with this weekend. People who have called EA to ask if the qualification thing is broken have been told essentially that all will be revealed tomorrow, so something is happening and nobody knows what.

Auto qualification for everyone seems pretty likely, and maybe also potentially not limiting it to the weekend but just "you have two weeks to play 3 weekends worth of games, have fun" or something.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Started with two wins today, then my 3rd game was against a name I thought looked familiar from looking at the top 100 here and there and I think well whatever the only way I'll get better is to play better players.

I did pretty well, lost 1-3 but his 3rd goal was right at the end and I had a bunch of super close attempts earlier in the game that would have tied it up. He definitely outplayed me and deserved the win but there were certainly times when it could have swung the other way. I look at the top 100 for this week so far and sure enough he's like 12th or something on the leaderboard so far today with me being what must have been the 7th win in a row for him.

I bought SIF Benteke for like 155k after rewards came out and while I'm very happy with him and he's an absolute beast of a player, the player I replaced (NIF Lukaku) is also pretty drat good and I wonder if I should sell Benteke and use that money to strengthen my teams elsewhere and 'make do' with Lukaku.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Bunches of SBCs coming out, one for Aubamayeng with costs of at least half a million if not more like a million coins, loving jesus. 87 rated bundesliga squad with 1 player from Gabon and a TOTW card required so basically his base card, a high rated TOTW, and all the best players in the league.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Stefan Prodan posted:

Haha holy balls

Well maybe I'll end up using the SBC Lewandowski if it comes out anyway :)

No way it's worth it paying an extra 500k-1 mil over the base Aubameyang

7-0 so far this weekend, maybe I can get to elite 3 finally?

I'm barely scraping even at 10-9, I'm sooooo loving bad at this game sometimes. I wound up 2-7 and then went on a 7 game unbeaten streak and now things have kind of settled down a bit more so we'll see how it goes the rest of the weekend.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Seltzer posted:

Eremenko is permanently out of packs now because of his cocaine ban. Naturally I bought about 30 for 2.5k. Goodbye to my favorite fifa 16 CAM

drat that sucks, he was loving awesome in 16.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Awesome, that's some good poo poo.

I had two 7 game losing streaks this weekend, at one point i was 10-16 on saturday night and was seriously wondering if I would even make gold 3 and wondering what the hell was wrong with me, etc. But I wound up 22-18, so I went 12-2 over my last stretch of games which felt pretty good and has me feeling positive going forward.

I'm gonna be gone for a week starting wednesday for christmas so I won't be back to collect my rewards until the rewards for next weekend are out, which makes me curious to see if I'll get auto qualified for the New Years weekend (ie, it will depend on when I accept the rewards) or whether it will essentially retroactively qualify me for the weekend I will have missed (ie: its a static system and always qualifies you for the weekend following the one you played on, regardless of when you open the rewards).

Anyway, fut champs owns, it frustrates me and is a grind and every weekend I'm happy to be done but then by midweek I can't wait for the next weekend to start.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I have only seen him once this year in any team, so I'm not sure how popular he has been.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Yeah the prices are absurd so there's really no point.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I had a spare movember card and built Kurzawa for free with that card and a bunch of 75-80 rated discard rares I had lying around, pretty good.

His card looks extremely good, and his NIF is great, and he's french and therefore fits into a ton of cool hybrids. Good poo poo.

Hopefully they have another 'basically' free SBC every day now (and the other two weren't more than 50k or so either), although I'm gonna be gone for a week-ish for christmas so I'll miss all of them anyway.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

DoctaFun posted:

Thinking about doing the kurzawa SBC, but I have Sidibe totgs, which looks like an eerily similar card. Would cost me about 20k to buy an IF or Movember , then I'm probably covered as far as rare golds go.

Yeah the essentially 20k for a super good LB that slots in perfectly with the types of teams I'm likely to build going forward was worth it to me, but then I get at least 45k + some sick packs every week so I'm a lot less careful with my money.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Seltzer posted:

Icardi's TIF is 65k right now and is better than Higuain's 90 SIF in every area that counts basically. He's Higuain with headers/balance/actually good short passing. Higuains IF is 300k. I'd get Icardi now, people are opening up the guaranteed IF packs driving his price down before weekend league.

I packed him from the untradeable totw sbc, used him in the tradeable totw sbc, packed him again, and sold him for 85k.

god bless.

Also he's garbage in this game, but then so is Higuain.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Was there any FIFA where higuain wasn't garbage?

Maybe 15? There was one where he was pretty awesome, but yeah generally whatever it is about his stats and traits makes him really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
24 wins again this weekend, sure wish I didn't lose the game where i was 3-0 up in the 75th minute on penalties or the other game where the guy got one of his cbs red carded in the 15th minute and i preceded to bang like 15 clear cut chances off the posts for the rest of the game and lose 3-4 in extra time.

I do actually like the gold 2 rewards though, and I got into gold monthly so I'll have 3 random untradeable informs in a week or two.

• Locked thread