Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I just picked this game up this weekend and have been playing career mode. What is this year's cool overpowered thing? Like the lobbed through ball in 2015 and the driven pass in 2016? I haven't found it yet :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I seem to gently caress up 1 on 1s with the keeper all the time. But yeah, could just be my lack of skills.
Also, the 'ref stops play because a player is injured and laying down on the other side of the pitch' is pretty annoying.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Is Rodrigo Palacio still pretty good despite his stats being nothing special? I remember he was crazy last year. Plus he has the best hair in the game.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

hopterque posted:

Felt like he just ran around at full speed all the time and relied on his players being god tier and forgot how to play the game well.

I've realized I'm doing this too. Got any tips? Because I'm struggling atm.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Elliptical Dick posted:

The ball is round, as we say in Holland.

Het lijkt wel of ie de bal aan touwtje heeft!

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
What cameras settings do you guys use? The standard settings annoy me for some reason , but I can't out my finger on it.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

General Dire posted:

Anyone got any tips on tackling? Some people I play seem to be on my player like a leech the second he receives the ball and they always come away with the tackle if I show even a little bit of the ball (and sometimes even if I don't) but when I try this while holding L2 I just get run right past. Is it just getting really good at sprinting into the space right in front of the attacker? Thanks for the tips guys, the corner stuff really helped me last time around.

Timing is everything. Like you said, you have to see which runs your opponent is making and use your defender to get into that space before the pass can be made. That way you can try and intercept and defuse a ton of dangerous situations.
You can use the teammate contain to keep one of your teammates close to the opponent that has the ball, while you manually let your defender run into the space where you think the opponent will pass.

But I actually came in here to ask for advice myself. I only picked up this game a couple of weeks ago and I've only played seasons so far. My record right now is 26-7-18. Not actually good. So, are there any tutorial videos that you guys recommend? There are a ton of them on YouTube, but most of them have to do with FUT and pack openings etc...

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Elliptical Dick posted:

I got TOTS Glushakov and Knockaert and TOTW Shaun Wright-Phillips. Underwhelmed to say the least. Used those to do a tradeable TOTS SBC. Got Bou.... Used him in another one with untradeable Guerreiro. Got Renato Neto.

I have absolute shite luck today.

Renato Neto is cool and good irl :shrug:

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
That elite stuff sounds like fun, is it a FUT only thing?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Welp, won the cup in division 5 and got promoted to division 4. Then I promptly lost all my games, got back to 5, where I also lost most of my games (2 draws too:banjo:) and now I'm back at division 6. This game is weird, I didn't change my playstyle and lost everything. I don't get it.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Elliptical Dick posted:

Is this single player season or online? There's definitely an element of randomness to your opponent's skill level when playing online. I've had games in div 1 where I got blown away 6-0 and others where I've done the same but opposite.

Also I'm curious about your squad and the formation you play in.

Online. I don't play fut because I don't want to spend ages trading or getting enough coins to buy a decent squad. So I normally play with Real Madrid in their standard formation :)
But yeah, I've definitely noticed the randomness you're describing too.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Now I'm on a winning streak. I actually started playing a lot more patiently and passing around a ton more. Now I have way more chances. I used to try and beat the defence with a well timed through ball and maybe get a 1 on 1 with the keeper. Now I let the ball do most of the work, the opponent has barely time to switch to the correct player to try anders defend and I have way more space. The amount of tap ins I've scored the last games is pretty crazy. Hope this lasts :)

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Tzen posted:

I reached my goal of 100 goals with TOTS Modeste in just 70 games, the man is insane. I lost count of how many hat tricks he scored. In his last game he had 4 goals :getin:

Its cool that the commentator acknowledges that it's his 100th goal for the club.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
The game mode until 15 (I think) where you could be a player and manager at the same time was great. Too bad they have removed it from the game.

By the way, here is something else they should remove from the game: that big black bar that lasts 3 minutes in the middle of your screen when you're trying to pause the game when the other player has possession.

Seriously, just do a tiny message at the bottom, or no message at all. It annoys me every time :argh:

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 12, 2017

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Lol, I just beat some guy 9-0 in seasons mode, and in the 90th minute he gets his sixth red card, so the team forfeits. Giving me a 3-0 win instead :banjo:

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

TheBigAristotle posted:

Streaming or posting unedited screencaps will result in an account ban lol

Shouldn't this say Fifa 18 beta?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
All I want to know: if you try to pause the game when you don't have possession, does it still display a big black box in the middle of your screen that says you can't pause and that lasts 30 seconds or whatever?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

LastDeadMouse posted:

No, it politely displays a tiny box on the top of the screen saying "Gamertag has requested a stoppage" or something. It's way better than before.

Finally. I might pick up fifa at launch again after skipping it the last 2 years.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I heard a rumor that Fifa Street makes a comeback in Fifa 18??? Please let this be true

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
It's insane how bad I am at defending in this game. But I'm having fun playing again. Might pick up 18 at launch. Any news on when the demo will be available?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Stefan Prodan posted:

I'm just playing career mode offline, it's prettty fun

my guy got transferred on loan to Ligue 2 and we just barely won the league title by like 5 points

was exciting

Do you only control your player?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Stefan Prodan posted:

Mostly I control the team because it drives me fuckin nuts when my team just instantly does some awful shot from the edge of the box when I've given them a pass where they can walk it in and get a goal

However I do sometimes just accidentally mash the play only as my player and I'll still play it out if I hit it, maybe 20% of the time

I play as my player only and yeah, it's kind of annoying when you ask for a pass and they pass it straight to the opposition and then the manager is mad with you for asking for that pass.
But the game mode is actually kind of neat, you have total control over your player and you can run wherever you want. And when you manage to get in a good position and score a goal, it feels very rewarding.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I just scored a hattrick while only controlling my own player. :feelsgood:

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

hopterque posted:

Skimmed from the demo, which is out today I think.

Hmmm, I'm not seeing it in the PS store right now

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

hopterque posted:

Its supposed to be out "this evening" UK time.

:f5::f5::f5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

vivisectvnv posted:

inability to save custom control layouts

worst thing about fifa demos, drives me batty

What do you customize about the controls? I just use alternate.

• Locked thread