Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Fifa 16 was arguably the worst edition of the game in modern times. After complaints over lovely gameplay meant to give bad players a get out of jail free card defensively, a terrible passing system, little attention being paid to non-fut game modes, and the fact that many of the core facets of the game went unexplained for years it seems EA is trying to right some wrongs this year.

Gameplay- judging from the demo: auto interceptions have been toned down drastically, passing is smoother, and goalies are no longer pyschic when it comes to through balls. Will this make it into the actual game? who knows.

Depth of game modes- pro clubs has received a fresh coat of paint and the lovely leveling system has been revamped. Fut career mode now has a story driven mode called the "journey" which will be more in line with other sports game franchises like the nba2k series. Fut as well has gotten more additions to keep the mode fresh including the new weekly tournaments called FUT Champions that (theoretically) pit the best against the best for prizes. All participants will receive some kind of reward however. Some of the FUT roster have now also received dynamic style cards that will increase if the player does well in real life.

The mysteries of momentum, scripting, chemistry bugs etc.- EA have actually (surprisingly released information that should help players better understand the effects of chemistry and chemistry styles
Explainer here - https://www.easports.com/fifa/ultimate-team/tips-and-tricks/how-chemistry-works-in-fut-17
Chemistry style explicit benefits here - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hs6p-ur6JQfJSxLI37iaWV6bUqgwd6LC6y6Y1tQEwV8/pubhtml
Players also now have a "composure" stat which could explain why certain players turn into garbage at certain points of the game... who knows

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9LHzVEPodg

New engine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYjD78X1d9Q

Useful links
http://www.futhead.com/ the best site for accessing the fut database and building squads
http://www.futbin.com/ the best site for tracking fut player prices
http://sofifa.com/players/top the best site for career mode information

Space reserved for future meltdowns

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

T Bowl posted:

I will bitch about this game to no end yet still play it more than anything else.

RCarr posted:

I will stop playing this game quickly, yet constantly come bitch in the thread anyway.

These are the only two types of fifa players. Welcome

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

Hope they tone down passing in the first patch, I think they overdid it a bit. It's way too easy to get it to people now and the defense doesn't try quite hard enough to get it I think.

I think you're probably just overreacting coming from fifa 16. I love the passing. I've always been really good at defense though, it's my biggest strength, so anything that makes it less assisted for other people is a plus for me. The Futhead database is up now but I still can't use the webapp for some reason.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Anyone got any good starter squads? I'm thinking of going for this one.

Ekici looks great, 5* wf and 90 freekicks. Solid defense, quick balanced midfield. Bruma has been overpowered every year and Visca got a nice upgrade (good finishing and agility). Demir looks like a really great pick up, 4* skills and good passing is nice in a one striker formation. He is a bit weak and small so if headers are back I can pay a bit more and slot in Aboubakar. Overall I think the squad will be very cheap and the only players I expect to cost anything are Ekici and Bruma

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 23, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

EA early Access is up which I have because it helped knock an extra 10% of the game price. I built a pretty good Brazilian starter squad and the only player that cost anything was Pato for 2k. I don't do much trading but coins go a long way at the moment and no one knows players prices are so I'm gonna look to snatch some valuable players up. Apparently desirable players prices spike when the game launches in Europe people start to actually have coins.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Yea it's fun and I've spent quite a bit of time with it on the early access. In essence you are still paying for packs (the 11 gold players you discard didn't cost nothing) but at a discounted price and also the reward cards are very cool. I need to get the Giovinco card because Giovinco in a false 9 has been one of my top squads for 3 years now.

I've only played a couple of games but so far I like 16. There's definitely a lot to get used to. Throughballs are a lot less accurate (I'm gonna be cynical and assume this is due to them introducing a new type of throughball I have to learn) however standard passing is more accurate and you don't need the driven pass to get to far away players. Weak players feel especially weak this year and give up the ball a lot more without drawing fouls it seems. Dribbling seems a bit more difficult/stiffer which I don't like but maybe I just have to get used to it. No more autodefending in the midfield and defense is harder as a whole. The bonus is CDMs and CBs feel very important. The downside is with the easier passing boring tiki taka seems real easy at the moment. I have not got shooting down at all but keepers feel shittier in general across the board. Mine have let in a lot of shots that were taken striaght at them or close to them which rarely ever happened in 16. Pace feels slightly better and knockons are easier to control than last year. Oh and your players seem to gas out even quicker this year if they have low stamina.

The biggest downside at the moment that will definitely have to be patched is the rate of injury and how you deal with it. It's hovering around one player a game for me and this is the first year they force you to sub the player online in FUT. It's really lovely imo and you end up needing a backup squad for your backup squad. If it was to punish people using bronze benches they should've just changed how they calculate team's overall ratings by only taking into account 3 players on the bench or something.

e- People are saying the journey is fun but I haven't touched it

Spoiler regarding the journey and fut. You get an Alex Hunter fut card at the end of the mode based on your play and attribute selections. Apparently it's not very high rated but it's a pacy card and very easy to get to 5* skills 5* weakfoot

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 23, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

Just shoot driven shot far post every time with like 2-3 bars of power, that's insanely the best finish this year

You can also finesse driven shot which is also real good inside the box

Edit:

Like here's a goal I scored in the demo where the angle shouldn't be impossible or anything but I think should be pretty low % but these go in all the time, as long as you're like closer than a little bit inside the box these are really high %, these low far post shots. I mean mainly I just thought it would have a good chance of a corner or a dangerous rebound but if you get the hang of doing these they go in a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfMT2fEszPE&t=881s

You can also see in this video how ridiculously easy it is to just pass it around now

I thought driven shot in this game just meant pressing B, what's a driven finesse shot then? Also thanks for the tip I need to break the habit of finessing every shot and going near post all the time.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Just went on a 4 or 5 game win streak tonight. Got into div 9. It was pretty hard though to be fair since a lot of people on EA access are good and everyone is starting from the bottom. I'm really liking that pace is back. It seems to me that the players pace in comparison to eachother is similar to last year but the main difference is that you can actually sprint dribble with the ball without having to do knock ons non stop. Last year Aubameyang would get caught by 50 pace CBs if they had 15 yards to catch him. Every player turned to molasses on the ball unless you had someone with high dribbling and you used a ton of knock ons.

I took your advice on shooting and I had a bit more success, especially going far post on the ground. My tactic of using players with good curve and cutting in at a wide angle and finessing far post works again this year too. I still am gonna need awhile to dial in the shooting though. I haven't messed with longshots or headers at all but from what I've seen headers should be back which I'm happy about.

After playing a bit more I think they have the carding/penalties down pretty fair but I think they should call more non-bookable offences. As I said earlier weaker players are getting battered and nothing is really being called. Also the injuries really need to be toned down a lot. I bought Adriano from the K-league for my Brazil squad. two games in and he's out injured for two games. Two more games in and he's out for five games now. A +5 foot healing card costs essentially the same as his card costs. It's stupid. Also of course Pato picked up a two game knock during the games I was playing.

I think workrates are more noticeable this year. At least High/Low is very noticeable based on my experience with Pato. It seems to be a good thing to have again on strikers. I'd recommend Pato as a cheap pick up for a Brazil/Liga squad. However the one player that has impressed me the most so far is Kampl.

http://www.futhead.com/17/players/22227/kevin-kampl/

His defensive stats are low but in they are spread out two stats that count (stand tackle and interceptions). His finishing is a bit low but just high enough to score in the box from time to time. Everything else is great. High/High workrates. He runs all game and is an amazing, quick, playmaker. Definitely get him early on for a Bundesliga side.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 23, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

So I looked into the MLS squad building challenge. I had no idea the reward giovinco would be so insane

http://www.futhead.com/17/players/50127/sebastian-giovinco/

I also had no idea you had to complete a full 11 of every MLS team.... I'm going to waste so many coins early on to get that card which sucks. I know I won't be able to wait for things to die down to try and complete it, they just had to make a challenge for one of my top 5 favorite players out of the gate. I don't even care about the Jonas reward card at all.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

8bitlawd posted:

My biggest takeway is I think they need to address strength, because as it stands currently any weak but agile dribbler simply gets muscled off the ball immediately negating whatever skill he might have.

I've said it already a bunch of times but I don't actually have any problem with those players losing the ball if they actually called the fouls on them that cause them to cough up the ball half the time I play online. As for AI difficulty, yea, it's a pain in the rear end they're good at parking the bus and stringing passes together at all the levels I've played. Luckily I only play like 3 AI games a year to get into the flow of the game. If I played vs the AI all year it would be extra miserable this year. I've gotten some very nice EPL cards from the squad builders and I'm up like 40 k off doing them if I had to estimate.

e- What is people's experience with headers this year? Both my teams have two short strikers so I haven't messed with it yet.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

I actually feel like it's good if fast weak players lose the ball more, I'm tired of small pace players being by far the best in the game where there's no point in ever using a big slow motherfucker like Dzeko or Ibra or something. I mean you can do it and win if you're good but you're just playing with a weighted vest on like fuckin Goku, you'd be better off playing with a fast player in almost every case in previous years.

Like, I think most really good players would consider it a true or at least arguable statement that loving 77 overall Edu Vargas with his 59 strength was a better/more useful player in FIFA 15 than Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

I agree there should be a balance between fast/weak and slower/stronger but the weak players have been nerfed a bit too much this edition imo. As for target men they were very good in 13, king in 14, good in 15, and poo poo in 16. I wouldn't say the series has always favored pacey weak players, it's just that pacey players are easier to use and hold up target men take a bit more effort to master. I had an amazing record with berbatov in a false 9 in 15 for instance.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I felt like the attackers just get a huge bonus when trying to win headers and that defenders don't even jump most of the time.

I've scored 4-5 goals straight from the corner though, it seems easy.

Good

emanresu tnuocca posted:

My impressions of the game:
Containment and team containment has been nerfed even further, if EA want to discourage players form using it they can just remove it and free the buttons for something else.
All the cunts do Pogba's dab celebration.
Skills have been nerfed, players can't seem to start the animations when they're off balance and would take another touch first, moreover the exit animations now seem more random so skill moves will often induce heavier touches and give away possession.

I think containment is right where it should be. Though I'm a bit biased and did 90% of my defensive work without any sort of containing features last year. The dab is one of the worst celebrations unleashed on fifa but the Big Man dance is worse and lasts about 30 seconds. Always do it if your teammate is being an rear end. I find dribbling a bit less rewarding on the whole but my bread and butter skill moves have been working fine for me (scoop turn, mcgeady spin, ball roll etc.)

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Dribbling just feels like poo poo right now. Agility barely matters. Also strong stikers >>>. I've been scoring more with garbage fast + strong silvers than I have with good balanced gold cards.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I put 40k into buying balotelli for about 1.7k right before this totw. He's gonna be extinct and selling for his max of 10k easily since he's been in packs for only one week and Europe is getting the game tomorrow. I just made like 100k from the lowest risk possible. Promes NIF was extinct yesterday and that's a Russian league winger, not Balotelli (I know NIF Promes was in packs a much shorter time but still).

Anyways, since the gap between good dribblers and bad dribblers isn't that pronounced this year and now that strength is overpowered, I went back to one of my favorite players from fifa 13 and have been destroying. Lacina Traore + finisher chem is amazing, it's almost a joke. I'm not a huge fan of the gameplay as a whole but exploiting it with Traore is a lot of fun. He wins every header (obviously) and is surprisingly decent at dribbling and shooting. He's basically Dzyuba but a little quicker and +3 inches in height. I don't notice his 31 balance at all, that's how stupid dribbling and strength is this year, he always keeps the ball unless it's tackled away.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

DoctaFun posted:

I picked this up two days ago and I'm having a lot of trouble adjusting from '16. A few things I've noticed so far.

-Seems like there is a lot of input lag for me. Trying to do one-touch passes is frustrating as I have to hit 'x' waaayyy before the ball gets to my player. Same thing goes for headers(especially in the box).

-Physicality is definitely re-worked, but almost too much. Defenders are literally brick walls if you run into them without the ball, your player doesn't really bounce off or make an effort to get past them, they just come to a complete stop and are useless for a few seconds afterwards.

-Everything just feels kind of....slow. Also, the default view of the pitch seems like it's further away than before or something, I don't think it looks as good as 2016 to be honest.

-Still getting used to through balls as you actually have to power them up a bit now. I think this is probably a good thing in the long run though, if it means every through ball in the final third isn't just launched straight to the opposing goalie I'll be happy.

-As with every Fifa, I can see what my opponent is going to do about 2-3 passes ahead of time but there's nothing I can do about it. Trying to switch players will normally select the wrong one, or the computer controlled defenders will just be running the wrong way or something.

I'm not getting input lag that badly but its more noticeable than in the past. As for defending it's like they completely shifted what's important but they still made it too easy (or at best unsatisfying). Last year was all about your midfield auto-intercepting passes non-stop regardless of stats. This year your midfield does next to nothing to intercept even with balls going right past them but your defenders just automatically take the ball off of opponent players now if there is any contact like a magnet (shield the ball also is very poo poo this year because of the favoring the defender coding). It's all part of what makes dribbling so unsatisfying (that and the fact it feels like players are less agile all around). I don't agree with the "slow" gameplay observation. Passing is so easy and consequence free that the ball moves around very fast and players are definitely much pacier with the ball at their feet compared last year. Through balls seem balanced. Lastly, if you haven't already, change your player switching to "manual air balls only". To me it feels like previous editions regarding player switching but I've seen people on full auto complaining a lot more this year. Manual switching is key to playing good defense anyways so you should always have it on.

The last thing I picked up on is keeper rushing. Last year it was incredibly stupid as the keepers could read throughballs and get to them without input 30 yards out. However if you came out manually to constest a shot it was a disaster and way less effective than previous years. This year it seems like manually calling the keeper out is effective again, the keepers also seem quicker this year too.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 29, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

T Bowl posted:

Well think of it this way, most of us just keep doing it over and over every year.. so it gets old. We all have done enough to be a higher rating quickly, plus, if it's too slow it turns off new players. It makes sense to make it quick.

Yea I've probably played like 15 pro clubs games over the past three editions, the leveling was a pain in the rear end and drop ins sucked. I'm actually thinking about giving the mode a shot now.

As for FUT I've got about a 3 to 1 win to loss ratio at the moment but I still have 0 confidence shooting unless I'm one on one coming from an angle to shoot across goal. Near post seems sort of viable as opposed to "never try that" like I thought. Anyone have tips on long shots this year?

So far my most successful squads have been my Japanese gimmick squad and my RPL squad with Traore at striker. Tevez has been dog poo poo for me this year which is weird since his stats are still really good. What formations have been good for you guys? I've stuck to my go to formations of 41212(2) and 433(4). The 41212(2) seems a bit too narrow this year but it's still serviceable. I think the 352 might make a return this year with how powerful centerbacks are.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah the SBC is win win for me. If you're clever you can do them and get out more than you put in. If you just want to pass on them you can sell your players for 5 times the price when they're required in an SBC.

This idea would require to much effort, and I don't want to get burned, but I was thinking EA is probably going to do the league squad builders with all the major leagues at some point. So if you stocked up cheap starting 11s for all the teams in serie a, ligue 1 etc. you would get insane rewards + a special card for next to nothing. All the rarer cards for the portuguese and MLS builders cost a fortune right now.

Anyone have a players they use each edition of FIFA just because they've delivered for you in the past (outside of mega players like Ronaldo and Chiellini obviously). I made my first silver squad of the year and big Mike Havenaar is back.

I made a Japanese/Eredivisie/Ligue 1 hybrid and it's amazing. Havenaar is surrounded by Rushnak on the left (80 crossing on a silver), Miyaichi on the right (94 pace 4* 4*) and Endo behind. Miyaichi is blazingly fast, Rushnak provides great crosses and Endo is so good I can't believe he's 73 rated. His only downsides are pace and dribbling but he's strong, has excellent passing and fks, good finishing (on par with a gold CAM) and defensive abilities to boot. I use him as a lone playmaker so I don't need him to be fast. The J-League has some cool players.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I think the Ones to Watch concept is cool but poorly executed. As I read it the cards will only go up when the player gets informs or a TOTS. It takes a lot of the fun out of it because you're gambling on them having a few goal streaks not necessarily good form. Remember Vardy scoring goals for fun for like 4 months before he got an in form? The 2k cards that raise and lower stats each week is a much better system. Also there are very few "ones to watch" and a lot that are way too expensive. The whole thing is hedging your bets that what you pay now will be less than their 2nd, 3rd etc. in form if they even get one. It makes it less special if other people can get those cards too and possibly pay less than you. They should've used the 2k model and expanded the number of players to include lower rated players and silvers. The only card I'm going to pick up is the Giuliano card. He's already going for about 20k (will be even cheaper as the packs keep going) so if he gets just one in form it's worth it and he will be nice in my Russian side. Everything else is grossly overpriced. I see people paying 500 k for the Higuain card and I'm pretty sure his 4th in form was only about 100k last year.

That being said does anyone here see any cards in the OTW squad that they think might pan out for the price?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Milner will probably go up steadily over time if you wait. Liverpool + English + position change. He also has some cool stats for a fullback and I'd even like to try him out there paired next to a quick CB like Smalling. Falque will probably stay near discard the whole game. There are like 4 nif wingers in Serie A i'd rather use over him and he's a bit slow for the position, so selling now will be just as good as selling later. Speaking of packing cards I packed the Mane OTW card in my weekly pack which is pretty cool as he seems (to me at least) to be one of the better locks to get plenty of upgrades. I'm debating whether to sell him or keep him since I never pack anything good. Part of the reason I'm debating keeping him is I'm already doing fine on coins this edition. I'm sitting on about 180k. Basically I did well on the free packs and SBCs during EA early access and then snagged a ton of Balotellis for 2k and sold him for 6k. Speculating on TOTW players is fun but can burn you.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

e- gently caress that he's going for 100k right now and he's in packs for 8 more days. Cashing out

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 3, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I ran into the injury problem big time during ea access but I think they turned it down a bit on the launch patch. I now average one about every three games and one that requires about sub every six. I always rotate squads and never play more than two games in a row with the same squad though, so that might be in my favor.

T Bowl posted:

They will patch that I am sure, along with the whole "defenders are brick walls you cannot get within a couple yards of.. they will take the ball perfectly 95% of the time even from behind you" thing

They've painted themselves into a corner a bit. They made defending easier last year and it seems they want to continue the trend of making that aspect of the game easier for the player. Instead of having rampant interceptions like last year (which is extremely frustrating and destroys the flow of the game) it seems they opted to make CBs ball stealing vacuums. It makes intricate passing/dribbling around the box almost impossible. I just wish they would trust players to play defense like in 15 and the all the previous editions.

Also for the record Giuliano is amazing and the best dribbler I've used in the game so far. I'm not great with skill moves but he pulls them off really well for me. He's strong and has good finishing for a CAM which is really nice as well. I got his OTW which should hopefully be ungraded tomorrow. The ball drag flick back maneuver seems to work much better this year so everyone should give that a go (I'm not sure if it's a 4* or 5* move). It's the move where you ball roll one way then immediately flick the stick the opposite direction. I noticed normal ball rolls kinda of suck this year but the 5* quick ball roll is as good as last edition.

oh, lastly my one TOTW speculation tip is if you're low on coins pick up some of Jota's card. I won a bunch on open bid for 350. He's a lock for totw (hat trick) and he's needed in the porto squad builder. Also you can't lose money on something you got for 350 coins. He should go up to 1k maybe even more when he's out of packs.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Filthee Fingas posted:

drat - Giuliano's OTW card exploded with him getting into TOTW this week. I wouldn't be surprised if EA really pump these cards into their TOTW (even when other players do better and should be in TOTW)

That's exactly what I banked on when I got him the other day. It only makes sense to give OTW cards lower bars to clear to get boosts otherwise it could get tedious. What I did not bank on was the card going way higher than it's price of 35k or else I would've bought a lot more (I thought it might've plateaued out at around 50k). I'm gonna hold onto my OTW card though because his standard card plays really well for me and I like Russian League squads. Also, I sold my Mane card so I want to have one OTW in my club.

Guessing one, two, or three certain locks each week isn't that hard. Obviously EA throws a few curveballs sometimes but if you think about how they do things you can get a lot right and go after the players that aren't being cornered. I made a bunch on Balotelli last week. His price wasn't rising because people were paying attention to other picks (mostly in the EPL) meanwhile forgetting that Balotellis scoring streak was a big story and his IF would generate interest. Players have to do something to get put in the totw but as long as they do that something EA will always find a few slots for big name/high rated players. If it truly was a merit thing there would be so many more garbage players from bad leagues who scored hattricks in there instead of Diego Costa scoring one goal like this totw.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 5, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The weekend league model is fine by me. the reason they have 40 games in like 2 1/2 days is specifically because most people won't do it. They don't want to give out that many prizes and mess with the market too much. I was busy most of the weekend and played only 8 games I think. I won 5 and I'll still get 7.5 k and a good gold pack. Not a bad deal. The competition wasn't even that difficult.

You know how I said earlier it might be smart to build a starting 11 for a league you like in case they roll out more league SBCs? I did that after I thought about it a bit. Since the SBC area has a specific league tab I highly doubt MLS and Liga Nos will be the only two all year. After realizing Jonas and Giovinco were their leagues respective player of the season I looked through other league's player of the season. I was thinking on settling on the J-league or Russian league but the J-league might not get it and Aoyama and Smolov kind of suck (I think Smolov would get picked since hulk bailed). As soon as I saw Aubameyang got player of the season it was a no brainer to make all the Bundesliga starting 11s. It took a bit of time but before I knew it I had a decent starting 11 for all 18 squads and I was only out ~60k. One of two things will happen, at some point I'll get 18 packs + 40k + an Aubameyang card and look like a genius or I'll have lost a few coins and wasted some time. Anyways there's no way a Bayern or Dortmund starting 11 won't be required at some point so I'll have those regardless. I'm thinking about doing it for a middling league like the Superlig as well since SBCs for leagues like those will probably roll out earlier and be cheap. If you've tried to do any of the liga nos or MLS challenges you'll see how annoying, time consuming, and costly it is. I haven't completed one squad in either league and don't plan to.

I don't know about anyone else but I've found the 433 variants a bit crappy this year since dribbling sucks and cutting in is difficult. I switched to the 4231(2) and It's much better, I even swing in more crossed with that formation. Oh Also pick up IF Manolas if you can, amazing player for pretty cheap (65k) and if the market is like last year his price will stay pretty high.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 10, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

DoctaFun posted:

Man I'd like to do this too, but I just don't have the time it feels like.

$60k seems pretty reasonable to setup 11 players from each team, though I wonder if you'll get screwed on a few of the challenges having a minimum team rating, forcing you to actually bid on expensive BM or Dortmund players...

I still might do something like this....A lot of La Liga teams are pretty cheap to put together, and even RM and Barca have a decent amount of 'meh' gold players you could probably build from.

I started saving Bundesliga players awhile back since I was thinking about doing all the squads. It took about an hour and I did it on sunday while making a few phone calls/listening to a podcast. You don't have to be paying much attention. I have my Dortmund and Bayern teams at an 80 minimum since those are the most likely to have a high rating requirement. The other squads I just got tons of non rare golds and silvers. Man City had an 80 requirement for the sterling one and Benfica has a 78 for the liga nos one iirc.

hopterque posted:

I'm impressed that it only cost you 60k to build those squads, did you just have a huge amount of players already from buying packs?

It was probably closer to 90k all told but I made a lot of coins back because I just blanket bid on all the players in my targeted teams and ended up selling all the duplicates for profit. People don't put reasonable bins on a lot of card so there are plenty of cards you can bid on for ~300 and sell for 600+. I wouldn't do that normally because it's boring but I got lucky a lot doing the squads.

The upside is I have some cool Bundesliga players to use now. Coman and Xabi Alonso are very good. Modeste is also extremely underrated.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 10, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Filthee Fingas posted:

I started doing this the other night with Superlig. What's your general tactic? are you buying multiple players in same position or just getting one of each? I've been using a 442 setup mostly so getting 2 ST, 2 Central mids, LM, RM, RB, LB, 2 CBs and goalie

Remember that chemistry is slightly more lenient (95 chem) for the league SBCs and that all correctly positioned players will be on perfect chem so you can put a few players out of place to not wreck your coins. I have thiagos CM card at ST in my bayern squad for instance because that one was 5k (and I use it in a squad) and the muller and lewandowski cards are crazy high. What I noticed was nearly all the SBCs in MLS and Liga Nos had lm + rm or LW + RW so I always just made a 442 for every squad and then bought one extra central player in case it was a different formation to cover my bases. There were like two bundesliga squads that didnt have wingers so I made normal 4231 squads for them since that's how they arranged the mls and portuguese squads without wingers.

Filthee Fingas posted:

Also a couple guesses on some marquee matches SBCs - cork vs. Dundalk (1 vs 2) - was posted by someone earlier so prices went mental and people panicked when it didn't come out today. Still think it's a possibility for tomorrow - can probably get players on the cheap now
- malmo vs norrkoping (1 v 2) in Swedish league.

Yea I'd never try to guess on these too much risk reward and apparently people trying to mess with the market.

DoctaFun posted:

Holy crap are the bids just crazy right now. I put together a few squads for the 'chemistry is key' challenge and it seems like odd-nationed gold player from a decent league is going for 1500 coins. It's crazy. I tried like three different La Liga teams and two different EPL squads but got priced out so fast I had to stop. Would cost like 10k coins just to complete the squad.

Just wait until near the end of the challenge or find an unknown squad.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Mandalay posted:

Seltzer, is crossing any good? I'm poo poo with headers so I stuck to a 433 and keep the ball on the ground. Lots of cutting in with the wingers.

Yea crossing is great and I think really balanced aside from corners. Every single squad I have with a lone striker this year I require my striker to at least be decent at heading, if not really good. After basically only using the 41212(2) and 433s last year I've found myself gravitating towards the 4231(2) this edition. For whatever reason I find my wingers getting in more crosses and the same amount of runs and the formation allows for very good build up play. Of course that's not to say 433s are bad but cutting in dribbling through players and then scoring is much harder this year so that's where it becomes a downside. I gravitate towards 433s if my wingers are very fast and good at dribbling but maybe not so great at the end product with regards to passing and finishing. The 4231(2) can suit slower wingers with better passing attributes and strength/some defending. That's not to say you can't use different types of wingers in different formations and be successful. Crossing is not nearly as tricky this year, the simple cross will do just fine. Cutting in slightly will give a better cross over just hoofing it while running parallel to the sideline. It's even worth it to completely cut in and cross if the wingers weak foot is different from the side they play. So if you have a right footed winger with a 2* wf on the left wing you would want to really cut in so you can play the cross with your right foot.

Aside from that my big takeaway from messing around a lot with crossing is that the power header trait matters massively this year. It always helped but the difference is much more pronounced this year and almost required if your going solely for a targetman + cross set up. You end up scoring literally twice as often with the power header trait if heading accuracy is kept even. It feels like the difference between 50 and 99 shot power. You'll get a lot of deflection goals with the trait, basically none without it.

Here, is what I was talking about when I said taking a big angle so certain players can use their better foot. Rusnak (silver with 80+ crossing) is right footed so since I had space I played the cross with his right foot to Havenaar.

Giant throw in is the best trait.

The crossing tutorial Stefan Prodan posted is ok but incredibly situation and too specific imo. You shouldn't limit yourself to that technique. If you have a legit target man timing a good cross to him is way more important than trying to get to a super specific position in order to go back post (also most good defenders will muscle you out or be in a position to deflect a cross from the byline position. Havenaar will bury 75% of headers off a decent cross regardless of his position in front of goal if you know where to aim. As you can see in the first .gif he's marked in front of goal but since the run and cross are good it doesn't matter. He's 6'4 with 80 jumping + power header.

I can't stop winning with my stupid gimmick squad. I'll drop it in divisions as soon as I start going 50-50 with it, but I'm not there yet.

There are plenty of good gold target fowards as well obviously. Modeste is a good cheap option

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

DoctaFun posted:

Any prediction on what the prices for man city players will do as we get closer to the PL SBC ending? I kind of think they might continue to spike right until the end.

I'd assume a bit before the end is the best time to do an SBC like that, not right at the end because a lot off people probably put it of until the last minute. City players are also needed in the Gareth Barry SBC which I honestly might do. The card is pretty poo poo but i really like CDMs that pass well and I don't think it'll be too costly to put together.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Want to see how I lost the weekend league entry final?

I didn't touch anything when the defender and the keeper did what they did. I don't get mad at video games, I probably legit get annoyed at fifa like twice a year. This was some next level bullshit. Especially since the game felt like playing in mud after 3 games with a smooth connection. Goals like these ONLY ever happen in the 45th 90th 105th and 120th minute. I've had it happen to me and done it to other people over the years enough times to know it's not luck. I hosed up the penalty shootout afterwards naturally.

I did the Barry squad builders because it was cheap and I was hoping to get something in the packs. I got dogshit in the packs. But I got a special Barry card for ~20k so theres that. Xabi Alonso is my favorite player right now and Barry is of a similar mold (slow CDM with very good passing) so hopefully he suits me well. Seriously though try Xabi Alonso. His passing is amazing, far beyond the fact how easy it is to pass in general. His final passes and long passing are next level.

e- I had loan totw striker Ronaldo in and the .gif captured that I had 5 shots on goal with him. It was that type of game.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 12, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

Ahahah sorry man but that's incredible

I just can't get myself to try the super slow players, I play a Bundes squad but I feel like I actively use my CDM to run around and try to intercept passes and poo poo too much to be able to use a 33 pace guy effectively

I use the 433(2) and have faster players all in front of Alonso. I constantly play through him and in that formation he's like a quarterback with up to 5 players to pick out in the final third at any time. He gets a lot of time and space. The other two CMs are fast enough to track back if he's too far upfield. Alonso is very good at breaking up play despite his pace and I've been surprised by how little his pace has been a problem. The difference on the lower end of the pace scale is incredibly small, if I told you he had 60 pace you'd probably believe it. I'm undefeated with that squad right now and I have some average players + poo poo cloggers in it. One thing I did in that squad that I might replicate in others is to tell one of the fullbacks to stay back while attacking. I like using fullbacks to attack but they seem way more likely to go up field without you wanting them to this year leaving you with only 2 cbs and a cdm to clean things up a lot. I originally did it because my rb is some low rated gold with 75 pace and he's behind Thiago who isn't defensively sound but it's worked out great for me.

As for the weekend league I'm caring less if I qualify (especially this week after that). The time frame on it is annoying if you're in the states. I'm busy doing stuff every friday night/saturday so it only leaves me a little time on Sunday to play since the league expires in the afternoon.

Stefan Prodan posted:

I guess I also feel like now that we know how chemistry works, you can sort of get another player with higher pace up to Xabi's stats pretty easily with like a +passing +defense card or something if you didn't care about pace, and that player could still have 70 pace or something, but you can't get Xabi up to the pace of anyone else

They wouldn't have his passing traits though, dunno how much of a difference that makes

There's zero chance the chem styles work as purported. They feel exactly the same as when they were introduced; it feels like very minor stat boosts. Just put a sniper card on your player of choice, there's no way it gives +15 finishing and +15 dribbling. It's just not the case. As for the passing, yeah it's what makes the card. I tried Totti and he didn't feel as good despite having similar stats. Btw, the fact that chemistry styles don't do anything at all like what EA said just makes me even more suspicious of other poo poo in the game and any statements they release about stuff.

E- hunter is possibly an even easier tell, it does not at all turn an 80 pace player into a 90 pace one.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 13, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

Totally disagree with you about chemistry, I slapped Deadeye on Chalhanoglu and he's a loving monster and blasts them in at will

Out of curiosity, what's your winrate on seasons and what division?

I'm not trying to start a dickwaving contest I'm not even that good, just curious since like obviously it somewhat enters into the equation of like authority about statements about what's good when I'm deciding who to listen to

A have a two wins to one loss even ratio right now (that will probably drop as I go up in divisions and people get better). I'm in division six but I've never went down a division, I've been playing mostly the weekend league tournaments. I've been in Division 1 every year if you really care. I don't think you even need to be good to understand that the boosts are not what they say. I've used a lot of 80 finishing strikers who miss a lot with sniper on (supposedly 95 finishing) but normal 85-88 finishing cards will score more for me. Calhanoglu would be good without deadeye, I think a lot of the chem boost is placebo to be honest. If chem styles were actually conferring +10 pace you'd see every big coin team with hunter and shadow on everything which you don't.

I think chem cards do something, but more along the lines of +5 which would still be noticeable. Do you really feel like an 80 pace player with hunter has +10 pace? It doesn't feel remotely like that to me. If the cards worked like they said you could just slap sniper on Bakambu and sentinel on Sokratis and have tots players for 3k. I don't think that would make sense from a gameplay standpoint or a pack selling stand point.

Also yea, your CDM definitely needs pace in the 41212 because the wingers aren't going to do much.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 13, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Kind of lame they released another PL squad builder. Fifa already revolves too much around that league. The reward for the premiere league starting 11 challenge is pretty good though so I might do that. I'll do the whole thing if Korean player prices come down because you basically only need 3 gold cards and can fill the rest with 200 coin 63 rated bronzes.

Watch, people will stock up for the next PL player of the month and they'll switch to La Liga or something

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I actually just saw that, the least they could do is throw in other leagues players in the middle of the month for milestones, achievements, awards, form, etc. Did we really need that Barry card? It could've been from another league (I say this as an idiot who has the Barry card). I guess it'll be easy to trade next month now that I know the PL player of the month is a fixture. I sold a Cheol card for 9k but I didn't get lucky anywhere else. The other annoying thing about all the PL challenges is that player prices for the league have been inflated since launch since they're always been required in challenges. It costs a fortune to build an average PL side.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

Has anyone found direct free kicks to just be wildly inaccurate this year? I went to the skill games to see if I could do like one free kick consistently by just restarting the drill over and over so I got the same free kick in the advanced one (the one that makes it like an actual game situation) and even though I could basically get the same power every time I think I scored like 5% of the 23 yard one with Bale who has 86 FKA and good other stats. I haven't tried with like Pirlo or something like that but I dunno, I think they may have overcorrected a bit with the free kick accuracy, especially since people always stick someone in the net. I'm starting to wonder if it's just ever worth taking it directly at all.

Someone did a test where they took free kicks aiming in the same place with the with the same power in 16 and 17. In 16 he hit the same spot (crossbar) like 90% of the time, in 17 it was flying all over the place. I haven't scored with a freekick yet. It's another thing like penalties that didn't need improving that was made "better/more realistic".

While we're griping, something needs to be done about defending. It's flat out atrocious and making attacking a chore. I'm having fun now because I'm only in division 5 but I can see this game becoming extremely tedious at div 3, 2, and 1. It's already really bad when I come up against someone actually good. The other obnoxious thing is it seems like defenders block shots 4 times as much in the box, so even if you work in a chance over half the time a leg comes out at 100 mph to block it. It's bizarre how EA is incapable of balance. Just look at how poo poo interceptions are now. You basically have to hope the ball hits you. Two inches away and it's whizzing right past you. The game actually intercepts the ball more when the ai is the one in the passing lane. The game is actively rewarding doing as little work as possible on defense. Some people think the defending being basically mindless is to lower the skill gap which has been an ongoing trend on video games for a long time now. I don't know if it's that or that EA is poo poo at creating a balanced and fun product.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I always do a ground pass on freekicks now. I used to do them a lot in 16 as well because of all the people putting players on the line. My one tip would be if you have no intention of taking the kick switch to a kick taker that has an opposite strong foot to the starting player. The angle/player switch convinces 95% of people that you're going to take a freekick and a lot of them will move players towards goal giving you more options.

As for the shooting delay, I haven't noticed it much. I think the cone of vision on passing and defense in general are the two biggest issues in the game. Obviously I'd like them to fix everything though.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah I just mean like with ground passes from the free kick I can't seem to always get them to go to the guy I want, I tried practicing it in the advanced skill game but maybe every 3 times I would go like wait wtf why did you pass it down when I aimed completely to the left???

I wish you could do driven passes from the free kick but you can't since that's the call third player button

When you're doing a ground pass from the freekick set up literally look at the guy you want to pass to and press a (aim the camera at them). I never really aim with the stick beyond that and it goes right to them. Usually you'll have someone unmarked close to you.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Apparently a console patch dropped and it fixed shooting + passing delay and made dribbling a bit better. The biggest issue (defending) got left untouched however.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The striker situation is a bummer. Dzyuba and Smolov aren't cutting it. I have OTW Giuliano in a false 9 with witsel and shatov but the false 9 seems to suck this year. I can't get my wingers to make good runs which wasn't a problem in every other fifa.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

This will probably be the last time I bring this up since it's not provable either way and can enter scripting/momentum tinfoil territory but I'll reiterate that the stat boosts simply don't feel like as big as they're claimed to be and that I saw a high level pro player answering questions about this years edition and echoed my sentiments exactly. He said what I thought earlier- chem styles confer a boost but not near what EA has said they do. The guy who said this is the same guy who would use the non-upgraded 83 Griezmann over the 84 nif Griezmann in tournaments because he knew that card performed better from hours of playing despite it going against logic. This was before his thoughts were confirmed by the chemgate poo poo that showed that upgraded nif cards were on base chem. So basically I trust the pro's opinion on the matter.

Again a lot of it is subjective, how you play etc. and I do believe that certain combinations of stats, height, traits, body type etc, can create players that play way better than expected. Sometimes I'm almost certain they've entered the stats wrong. There's no way fifa 13 Arnautovic played like his stats or 15 Deulofeu for example. Dabo looks like a nice card though, him an Tolisso will be great if they get IFs again.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Modeste one of my top 3 strikers got an unexpected IF with an amazing card picture. Get in. Modeste is seriously Diego Costa for 400 coins. He's going to even better now.

e- Oh poo poo Florenzi too. I need both of those. I might have to shift off IF manolas and some other expensive cards
e2- Walcott got an IF with +6 shooting for missing 300 goals

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

I've used Modeste in my squad as a backup but I never find him to be that good, he just seems thoroughly mediocre at everything and he's kinda tall but crosses are nerfed a bit now because of the goalies coming out aggressively like they did in 16. Now I tend to do ground crosses or driven passes where their height is totally irrelevant.

I destroy with Modeste and heading only got nerfed on corners, not open play. Gomez was crap for me while Modeste rules. Also the pace and dribbling differences are slight but noticeable. I beat the backline with Modeste and hold players off, I don't with Gomez. To each their own though.

• Locked thread