Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Hope they tone down passing in the first patch, I think they overdid it a bit. It's way too easy to get it to people now and the defense doesn't try quite hard enough to get it I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Seltzer posted:

I think you're probably just overreacting coming from fifa 16. I love the passing. I've always been really good at defense though, it's my biggest strength, so anything that makes it less assisted for other people is a plus for me. The Futhead database is up now but I still can't use the webapp for some reason.

Nah, it's really super easy. I'm pretty good at passing and it makes it way too easy to do a buildup, you can pretty easily do passes that the defense should have a good chance on where the defense doesn't react, and the passes are too accurate when you're facing away from the direction you're passing. The lack of pace on passes in 16 was ridiculous but the one thing it did right was punish you for passing opposite your body and stuff and they went a little too far reverting that.

I mean I'm also a defensive guy and I feel like it's going to make it nearly impossible to defend good passers. I doubt my pass % will be lower than 90 too often in games and any other decent Division 1 player is gonna be the same. I feel like I put a lot of work into learning to pass effectively and it's gonna make it too easy for people to get sort of ok at it then get bailed out by the game.

Just curious, what do you mean by really good at defending? Like, below 1 goal a game or what are we talkin

I think I'm like average at it, I conceded like 1.4 a game which is not great but I was experimenting with playing really high pressure later in the year and conceded a lot when I was figuring it out.

I found a dude on youtube who's pretty insane, conceded .4 goals a game over tons of games (in which he won like 100% of his games), he has some pretty decent videos on defending:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a0IIpGR-j4

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 20, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I mean for last year it was closer than it was different

We all said in the beta of 16 "normal A passes are too lovely and have no pace, defenders work to get the ball way more than your players" and guess what

Granted, the 16 beta had more of a stuck in the mud feeling when dribbling than the final game, but the problems with passing from the 16 beta and demo lasted from day 1 until the end, so I mean yeah it might change but it also might not!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Just shoot driven shot far post every time with like 2-3 bars of power, that's insanely the best finish this year

You can also finesse driven shot which is also real good inside the box

Edit:

Like here's a goal I scored in the demo where the angle shouldn't be impossible or anything but I think should be pretty low % but these go in all the time, as long as you're like closer than a little bit inside the box these are really high %, these low far post shots. I mean mainly I just thought it would have a good chance of a corner or a dangerous rebound but if you get the hang of doing these they go in a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfMT2fEszPE&t=881s

You can also see in this video how ridiculously easy it is to just pass it around now

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 23, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Driven pass is where you hit shoot again after you charge the shot, so it's hold shoot -> charge up to 2-3 bars -> hit shoot again

You can just hold RB while doing so to do a hard low curved shot which is reeeeal strong

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Here's two more goals from that same replay video where you can see me doing the driven far post shot and it worked both times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfMT2fEszPE&t=196s

I actually feel like it's so strong it might increase my average goals a game by a lot because I have a playstyle where I don't take that many shots but I try to make them all really high % shots, and this year with the driven far post shot you actually can get an incredibly high % in those really dangerous spots

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 23, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think I posted that injuries were way too high during the beta as did a bunch of other people on the EA forums, guess they didn't do anything about it :(

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
You know it occurred to me while watching Breaking Bad for the third time, games with micro transactions are probably the perfect money landering tool nowadays

You just pay some up front money to make a lovely game and nobody questions that some random idiots will give you way too much money for fake poo poo in the game

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
On world class or what difficulty?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I actually feel like it's good if fast weak players lose the ball more, I'm tired of small pace players being by far the best in the game where there's no point in ever using a big slow motherfucker like Dzeko or Ibra or something. I mean you can do it and win if you're good but you're just playing with a weighted vest on like fuckin Goku, you'd be better off playing with a fast player in almost every case in previous years.

Like, I think most really good players would consider it a true or at least arguable statement that loving 77 overall Edu Vargas with his 59 strength was a better/more useful player in FIFA 15 than Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 24, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

8bitlawd posted:

I've yet to land a header from set pieces, but I've knocked in the odd cross on the break to Aguero. But in terms of an Oliver Giroud, Peter Crouch bully the ball into the net, nah haven't had any of those yet.

I agree, it's nice that you can't just pace whore anymore but in that same token if people just shift over to strength whoring (what a funny phrase) it'll be a sideways move on the ladder to better game. I think they need to strike a balance between the two rather then just shifting the scale in either directions which is definitely something that'll require delicacy. Also funny enough, Zlatan appears to be fuckin godly now... like you can't knock him off the ball at all and if build up play is going to be more valued this go around, he's perfect at holding up play.
Yep, World Class. Knocked it down to Professional for a bit just to have some respite and the AI wasn't a slouch there either.

Hm ok same as me wonder if I"ll find the CPU harder in the release also, I feel like I pretty well got the hang of scoring 1-2 a game on the very short demo games so I was pretty happy since the AI is a black hole when it gets the ball so getting 3 great chances a game is pretty good.

Anyway I like that strength and using the protect ball and poo poo is good because I'm the only person I ever play that does it. Everyone else just wants to run fast dudes and send through balls at em where I like to use the protect ball and the skill dribbling and poo poo to hold up play, so if they wanna make that better then cool. I've even used Rooney on a bunch of teams in 15 and 16 just because those occasional times where you use protect ball with the defender approaching and Rooney just fuckin shoves em down and scores is great

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Seltzer posted:

I agree there should be a balance between fast/weak and slower/stronger but the weak players have been nerfed a bit too much this edition imo. As for target men they were very good in 13, king in 14, good in 15, and poo poo in 16. I wouldn't say the series has always favored pacey weak players, it's just that pacey players are easier to use and hold up target men take a bit more effort to master. I had an amazing record with berbatov in a false 9 in 15 for instance.

Did you try to use hold up/protect ball stuff with weak players in earlier versions? It actually worked fine. I was protecting the ball with weak dudes with no problem before, making them strictly better than big target men in the past. If they actually made it so Santi Cazorla can't sit there holding John Terry off forever that's probably a good thing, I dunno. We'll see though, I haven't played the final version yet.

Also I feel like if headers are too good it's really bad and makes the game too random, there's no real counterplay in some cases because the game lets people get off crazy good crosses while off balance so it's hard to stop a cross coming in completely, and then once it's in the air it's just a pure dice roll. I do want there to be an advantage to big strong tall players though I don't really have a problem with that, but if we start getting poo poo from FIFA 13 where the best play is to sprint to the goal line as fast as possible, cross the ball from the line without even turning while running full speed into Messi jumping and beating a center back then I'm gonna kinda hate that.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Monday evening?

The game comes out Friday right? And if you had EA Access then can't you play it already? I'm confused

Edit: Oh, apparently the 29th is only for losers who don't live in the greatest country on earth for soccer and soccer video games:911:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh I didn't realize it was a midnight release

noice

Are we doin midnight parmos or do we have to wait until people get off work Tuesday

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 25, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Went ahead and qualified for weekend league and was all happy then realized it doesn't even start until next weekend :(

It occurred to me it's probably not gonna be that hard to qualify most weekends since by the end of the week all the good players will have qualified already so you're mostly playing against people who couldn't in their first few tries, or I guess a few random people who like tournaments better than season (as far as I know online tournaments other than weekend league are gone altogether)

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I will say there's definitely a lot of times where I feel like my guy takes a little bit too long to pass or shoot after I hit the button, and like Seltzer said the passing is too easy, but I like the game otherwise.

If you have a problem selecting people, try to get used to switching defenders with the right analog stick, it'll make you a lot better at defense once you can do it.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
https://streamable.com/aj7z

lol

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I decided to do Bundesliga for whatever reason this year, because I hadn't used them before I guess.

Might be a good idea for me to spend some coins eventually on getting 11 from each team just so I can get whatever special card comes out later

I'm workin on the league and nation hybrids now, they're pretty easy.

Some people have posted example squads of those and those individual players are going up like crazy but you don't have to be an idiot and copy those exact players. For instance, in the 8 league one the guy uses England players, and people are jacking up his exact players instead of noticing for many of those spots there's like a handful of players you can use.

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 30, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Bundesliga, I just finished doing all the league challenges and I got Douglas Costa from one of the packs, so I guess I'm keepin him!

Got maybe 20k worth of players to sell and then kept the rest for other challenges so I definitely came out ahead.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Kanish posted:

Im trying to enjoy the Journey mode, but im just really not good at doing anything worthwhile in the 2 minutes I get to play. Ive gotten one shot on goal in like 6 games. At least its not a Spike Lee joint.

I remember playing that 2k poo poo and watching my idiot friend stare at my sister's rear end and poo poo and I was like I hope this dude dies and he fuckin did!

Spike Lee made my dreams come true

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah people are forgetting how the prices massively crater and you can get TOTS cards for 100k later in the year

I agree with you about the OTW thing I think a real actual dynamic card would be cool

Also I know why they couldn't just give you an OP card that everyone would use all the time on every team but they couldn't make the Alex Hunter card better than 75, really? Not even like an 80? Even then most teams are giving up a little bit to use him for sentimental reasons

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I gotta hope they won't literally let you take every trait

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
These might be helpful for anyone needing help on offense or in pro clubs but especially would like to request all parmos check these videos out if we wanna win Div 1 this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC_-oJdyWz8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XhvUgihnoU

The second one especially, I notice a lot of people (including myself) positioning wrong when running (most commonly running through the middle of the gap so the ball hits you and you slow down again) or passing at the wrong time where the runner isn't in a position yet where you can sort of put the ball between them and the defender

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 3, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I picked up a OTW Giuliano in one of my packs from this week's marquee matchups!

Russian league looks too crap to use (sorry Seltzer) but I might build a Brazil squad around him

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yea I dunno I mean the best players they have are like 79-80 overall, not really much room to save up to get any big beast players

Maybe it was you that I was thinking of that uses RPL, not Seltzer

Anyway I wanna win as many games in the weekend league as I can so I want to use the best team I can put together, I can put together like fun jobber teams for during the week later on in the season

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Are you not supposed to be able to get the penalty arrows to come up during penalty shootouts? I'm playing the FUT weekend league and I've had 4 penalty shootouts and I haven't been able to get the arrow to come up in a single one even though it comes up when I get PKs during games.

I don't care as long as my opponents can't use it either but I would be real mad if the game is glitching on me while my opponents can use the indicator to nail perfect corner PKs every time

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's come up for me in mp reasonably often

Finished my weekend league games, didn't do as well as I'd like but I won 22 with 2 games left that would be pointless to play so I get 45k coins, a rare gold pack and 2 rare mega packs so that's still pretty sweet

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that didn't work for me when I couldn't get it to come up

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but I'm talking about in FUT haha

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Filthee Fingas posted:

Don't see me doing weekend league again for some time. You need to pretty much give up your weekend for it. Got to 18 wins and stopped playing. Even if you have the time, I got burnt out playing that many games in a row.

Yeah I was only able to get through it this weekend because my friends weren't coming over for football since Panthers play Monday, any other weekend I'd be busy on Sunday and never get through them all

Even if you get 10 wins though the prizes are still pretty good

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I will say one good thing about weekend league, I've never gotten so many matches so fast in my life

I instantly got a match every time and it was never laggy, so it's pretty cool to have absolutely everyone who has the game it seems like playing the same mode at the same time

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Filthee Fingas posted:

Yeah you pretty much have to act fast to avoid getting price gouged. From doing superlig I just used my gala team which had more than enough different nations in it

Did the sterling SBC today - was worth it for me since I already had an untradable otamendi. Ended up getting OTW Stones, yaya and cazorla from the packs plus sterling which made it more than worth it. Not sure pack weights are better through SBC than general packs but have been covering my costs with doing the SBCs and all of them have been worth it coin wise

I highly doubt they made their own weighting system for the SBC packs which would be a ton of work, I think it's just typical fooled by randomness stuff people are reporting, same reason people report "scripting" and that sort of poo poo

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Natty this is the corner play I was talking about when we were doing Parmos

I've only tried it a few times in head to head and it's worked twice already out of less than 10 times. Granted that's not a huge sample but it seems good so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQNUkY6n22o&t=23s

Here's a video of me doing it in a match just today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAQ_Tqnx5IU

You can see it puts it in a really dangerous area and the goalie doesn't really respond even though maybe he had time so imagine that's my 6'4" monster there instead of Pisczek

I don't know how well it works in pro clubs since you can't start the play with the short man already there

Here are two more things we could try on corners, I haven't really experimented to see which is better although I have a feeling the near post one is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBZ08N5-8A4&t=12s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHRU0pgdmVw&t=23s

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 11, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Mandalay posted:

Seltzer, is crossing any good? I'm poo poo with headers so I stuck to a 433 and keep the ball on the ground. Lots of cutting in with the wingers.

Crossing is real good

Here is a video on crossing that I generally agree with, although he neglects to mention that like from a similar spot if you have split the defense and have like a 3 on 2 or a 3 on 3 where the defender is leaving the near post to come mark the guy who is crossing, if you can get it to the corner of the box like that then just tapping cross to the guy at the near post (not double tap because you want to get it over the rushing defender) works real well

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 11, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Nah it was because I was real sleepy and by the time I got to the end of the post I forgot to post the video because I"m an idiot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9b58oLwJ-g

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
BTW I don't want to just do nothing but spam this thread with youtubes but I tried this today and it actually does work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4tT4cNew8s&t=22s

If you are trying to be the goalie against a penalty, if a person holds a direction to aim and never changes it, they completely tip off where the kick will go because the player has a tell that shows you the first direction they hit, and the power bar will tell you if it's going low or high

You can get around this by starting your kick by aiming up then changing the aim, if you do that no one can read the direction

I would wager very few players know this yet but they probably will eventually

In the meantime I'm just gonna start every kick the opposite way that I'm doing and that way hopefully I can get some by people trying to do this trick

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the dude making that video said he'd do a more in depth crossing one it was just to show one good spot you can do it from, there are others you can find on youtube, I just wanted to show examples of one of the good spots

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Seltzer who did you put up front for Bayern again for your squad to turn in? I can't find anyone that I could reasonably put up there that isn't hideously expensive

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Nevermind, I figured it out, I just moved the bronze CDM all the way up to CF with position cards.

Probably not the most elegant but whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Can't wait until there's a surprise SBC ultimate challenge where you submit 11 SBC cards from the year all in one squad and get an all 99 Ronaldo

• Locked thread