Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
After one of the craziest matches I've ever had in the weekend league qualifier final in which my opponent scored 3 off-balance crosses including two in extra time (one seconds before time expired) and kept it even despite two red cards (lol) that pk saving video I posted earlier straight up won me entry into the weekend league

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I assume for the most part as it is, the recycling SBCs are traps, right? They seem like sucker bets to me.

11 non rare golds is worth an okay amount just on its face, like generally 4500-5k, and at first maaaybe 2 rare gold players for 5k isn't a disaster (for instance, I believe the pack with 3 rare gold players and a few non rares is 17500, putting the fair pack price of a rare player at something like 4500, since the other players have some value also), but you'd have to take such care to find ones that are like NEVER going to be worth anything, and I think that would be super hard. With the rotating league squad challenges and that sort of thing it's really hard for me to imagine any gold player of a major league just never being worth anything if you are willing to wait a bit.

I guess the safe ones to get rid of are ones where the SBC already passed and you didn't want that card or didn't want to do the challenge. Like if I get any MLS after the MLS challenge ends I can recycle those cards pretty safely.

After looking again at the market it looks like if you can put together a squad that's worth like 4-5k at most it's probably worth turning in for the recycling unless I'm doing math wrong but obviously it's VERY high variance and you have to want to gamble, if you just wanna buy good players you're a lot better off just buying good players with the money from selling the cards.

I don't think they would do the rare gold TOTW idea just because it would make the prices so crazy for any normal rare gold but I"m not sure. It's an interesting idea.

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 12, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Ahahah sorry man but that's incredible

I just can't get myself to try the super slow players, I play a Bundes squad but I feel like I actively use my CDM to run around and try to intercept passes and poo poo too much to be able to use a 33 pace guy effectively

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I guess I also feel like now that we know how chemistry works, you can sort of get another player with higher pace up to Xabi's stats pretty easily with like a +passing +defense card or something if you didn't care about pace, and that player could still have 70 pace or something, but you can't get Xabi up to the pace of anyone else

They wouldn't have his passing traits though, dunno how much of a difference that makes

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Totally disagree with you about chemistry, I slapped Deadeye on Chalhanoglu and he's a loving monster and blasts them in at will

Out of curiosity, what's your winrate on seasons and what division?

I'm not trying to start a dickwaving contest I'm not even that good, just curious since like obviously it somewhat enters into the equation of like authority about statements about what's good when I'm deciding who to listen to

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh I was also gonna say maybe pace is more important to me since I play 41212 wide and the cdm has to cover more area in the middle

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Ah ok sounds like we are about exactly even in skill, that's like almost exactly what my winrate is too

I actually think the chem cards mostly do what they say but I've also had like 98 pace dudes before in FUT draft and that sort of thing and I don't think they're some sort of like free license to just run past the whole defense or anything, just like you say 33 pace is faster than it sounds I think 98 pace is also slower than it sounds

But that's just my opinion, I guess if someone really wanted to be scientific they could find a player with like 90 natural pace and the same weight as a player with 80 pace with hunter on and have them like have a timed race while recording or something

Someone on reddit would probably be a big enough nerd to do that and frankly I would too if I had the time and knowledge of software but I don't currently

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I might try Alonso though, I do have him lying around in my stockpile of Bundesliga players. I'm maybe 2/3 done now, it's definitely a slog but I'm doing 3-4 teams a day and I should be done soon.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Opened my 70 rare cards worth of packs, the best thing I got was fabregas lol. My friend won 34 games and got one of the TOTW packs and it's ALL totw cards, it's sick

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

DoctaFun posted:

How do you get the TOTW pack? Win enough games in the weekend league?

Is it seriously just the whole TOTW? If you get it could you just hold on to open it until there's a TOTW with like Messi/Neymar/Ibra/Pogba/Naldo/etc?

That's crazy...How many people actually get the TOTW pack?

I'll never sniff it, I'm terrible at this game. Did you earn all those packs through the weekend league?

I don't know what it is about those packs, I never have actually bought one, I just get them through SBC, but they are a bit addicting to open...

Yeah, I won 22 games so I got 2 Mega Rare packs, which are 35 rare gold cards each (maybe 10-12 players), and I forgot what the other pack was, like a premium gold rare players maybe? And 45k coins straight up. I pretty much got a big nothing burger though, the only card I even sold was Fabregas, everything else I just hung onto for SBC challenges.

I think you get a TOTW pack if you win 30+ games, and they get bigger the more you win. He won 34 games which was enough to barely put him in the top 100 which are even bigger rewards. He got 3 Jumbo Rare Players packs in which he got Suarez and Pepe and the Ultimate TOTW pack, which isn't the entire like specific TOTW from a week, it's just a pack full of nothing but TOTW players. I believe he got all gold, probably because it was the "ultimate" TOTW pack, there's lower TOTW packs too. He uploaded a youtube because people kept asking him what the pack was. So like at least the top 100 people get the ultimate TOTW pack, and people who win 30+ but don't crack the top 100 get TOTW packs but I imagine they include silver and bronze players.

I'd say I probably got like 20k more just in rare fitness cards I can sell also

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yep it's 40 games max, you have 8 pm Friday to 8 pm Sunday

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I don't even know how to make my guys all stay back like some people's seem to

Is it counter attack/park the bus that does it?

Whenever I just put it on park the bus, even if I want to legit just protect a 1 goal lead with 3 minutes left, I feel like my team doesn't collapse back like other people's teams do.

Sometimes I see poo poo where like their literal entire team collapses back whereas for me it's just my defensive line and even then they don't really go THAT far back.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Man I thought I had learned how to score at some point but I'm back to being garbage at it, averaging 1.8 per match which is exactly what I had last year

It's weird how I just go through stretches of games where I'm like "man how did I ever score any goals besides crosses or corners"

I'm mostly trying to play like a tiki taka style of short passing play where I try to get someone like completely through on goal at the end, I wonder if I'm shooting myself in the foot playing a wide formation?

It does seem like most of the time when I get to the opponent's box my LM and RM are just kinda not involved in the play at all

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The Big Taff Man posted:

I tried the corner glitch and it didnt work at all for me, I always get insta closed down.

I never score off crosses but havent watched that video you posted yet

Yeah, I mean it's not foolproof or anything it's just good to do vs people who aren't actually coming up to press you hard enough

Anyway it sounds like a lot of the corner stuff is getting fixed, that's good

I was really hoping to see something in the patch about the refs not calling enough fouls but it sounds like that's gonna continue :(
I still feel like it's way too easy for defenders to get the ball from you when they are directly behind your guy but maybe I just need to get used to mashing LT more than I currently do when people are behind me and I'm moving, like doing the tap LT thing.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone found direct free kicks to just be wildly inaccurate this year? I went to the skill games to see if I could do like one free kick consistently by just restarting the drill over and over so I got the same free kick in the advanced one (the one that makes it like an actual game situation) and even though I could basically get the same power every time I think I scored like 5% of the 23 yard one with Bale who has 86 FKA and good other stats. I haven't tried with like Pirlo or something like that but I dunno, I think they may have overcorrected a bit with the free kick accuracy, especially since people always stick someone in the net. I'm starting to wonder if it's just ever worth taking it directly at all.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Agree with pretty much everything you said, especially since I try to block passing lanes manually a lot it's crazy how many go right by me even when I'm jockeying in the passing lane

I feel like so many goals this year come from defenders just being megged on a key pass or a shot, so like basically the defenders will get in perfect position more than they should but even if you are in perfect position because you're good it's like they've balanced it by just making your defenders randomly miss more often than they should so you can't compensate by positioning them better because the game is kinda already doing that? I dunno, it's weird though like you said

Hopefully the shooting delay thing in the patch will help, we were playing pro clubs and I got 0 goals in a game where I should have had 3, just due to things that are getting patched. Twice my guy chested the ball down in a wide open header situation when I was breaking my shoot button, and once he just spent like an entire second winding up some haymaker kick when I was just trying to do a easy shot into an open half of the net and someone caught up and tackled me.

I've been playing with free kicks to try and figure out other plays to do like passing it off instead,but I can't figure out how to consistently pass it to the person I want out of the free kick. Sometimes I turn the camera and aim at someone and my guy kicks it a totally different direction, so that made me think it was dependent on the controller direction you were hitting like an offsides free kick but I can't get it to go to the right place doing that either so I dunno, it's weird.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I just mean like with ground passes from the free kick I can't seem to always get them to go to the guy I want, I tried practicing it in the advanced skill game but maybe every 3 times I would go like wait wtf why did you pass it down when I aimed completely to the left???

I wish you could do driven passes from the free kick but you can't since that's the call third player button

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Seltzer posted:

When you're doing a ground pass from the freekick set up literally look at the guy you want to pass to and press a (aim the camera at them). I never really aim with the stick beyond that and it goes right to them. Usually you'll have someone unmarked close to you.

Hm maybe that works with A passes, any idea how to get through balls to go where you want? I have tried the camera thing and like for example if you try to aim left with the camera then hit through ball my guy keeps hitting it to the right (down once the camera zooms out) every time on a through ball

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I never start anyone under 85 fitness and I have injuries all the time, I think they are at least twice as common as last year

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yep that's pretty OCD

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Filthee Fingas posted:

Its easy to just make two squads that are the inverse of each other and then switch squads after each match. Takes no time at all.

With regards to the SBCs - the marquee matches are becoming ridiculous now in terms of how quick people jump on and prices sky rocket. Ajax/PSG/OM/Fey players are all ready overpriced (I wouldnt spend more than discard prices on players for the risk of it not being in a marquee matchup). Also you will only need 2 or 3 players from each team with the remainder of the players coming from the same league.

I've been making good coin looking two weeks in advance and loading up on players for cheap (approx. 300 coin 75 rated golds) from those teams.

For instance, the following weekend Villa play Birmingham City which is the second city derby. I've loaded up on Westwoods at 300-400 coin each as well as picked up a full team of each to store in my club. All next week people will be posting their SBC ideas all over reddit/ea forums and will drive up the price. Worst case is it's not an SBC and you lose next to nothing given you're buying at discard prices.

If you're not convinced, look at the Austria Wien - Rapid Wien players for example. This hasn't been confirmed as an SBC and silvers are going for over 1k now because of the attention it's getting.

EDIT:
Ended up loading up on loads of Micah Richards. Westwood is now selling around 400 coins which will cost you more if the team isnt in the SBC the following week. You can get Richards for 650 coins with discard value of 616. So even if you picked up 150 of them, most you'd lose is 5k.

Oh I never said it was hard and I did it, I just mean it's OCD to switch back and forth every match. Even at like 85-90, dudes are still fine

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Filthee Fingas posted:

Yeah I never let them drop below 90. What i don't get is when you see players on the transfer market will like 10 fitness.

Yeah I think 85-90 is fine, although I've seen really good youtubers who are doing their road to glory poo poo where they are only allowed to use coins from games play with dudes on like 60-70 fitness because they can't afford a second squad yet, and they seem to do fine but they're also like still in division 10/9 at the time and are pros

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Seltzer posted:

Apparently a console patch dropped and it fixed shooting + passing delay and made dribbling a bit better. The biggest issue (defending) got left untouched however.

And the second biggest issue, the refs :(

It does say the AI will attack more directly now so I assume that means in pro clubs we can maybe be a little more reliant on the AI when we don't have an any

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 18, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh I had a crazy run of games yesterday too, I got home from doing errands, lost 4 games in a row in division 4, went "man I'm poo poo at this game, what the hell", then I drew the next one, then I just went "ok I just need to win 3 to stay up then I can try to work on advancing next time, whatever", but then I won 5 in a row!

Division 3 ahoy

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Man I'm so bad about like only wanting the ~perfect~ shot before I actually hit shoot, I keep having games where I have 60% posession and 4 shots because I just passed it around their box all day waiting for someone to have like no defender in front of him at all before shooting, I really should get used to just like mashing shoot sometimes and just hoping the defender misses or that I get a corner or something, I feel like other people are getting in a lot more lucky bounce/rebound/corner goals than me since they're at least trying to put something on instead of trying to basically pass it in like I do

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I've used Modeste in my squad as a backup but I never find him to be that good, he just seems thoroughly mediocre at everything and he's kinda tall but crosses are nerfed a bit now because of the goalies coming out aggressively like they did in 16. Now I tend to do ground crosses or driven passes where their height is totally irrelevant.

I guess I feel like if you just want a strong cheap header guy you might as well get Gomez, he's almost identical in stats but has enough long shots to be able to do okay at those too, and since long shots are so good this year it seems like not bad to have

He has better weak foot, and only 2* skills instead of 3*, but like really what 3* skills are you ever going to do? If you don't have at least 4 then it makes no difference whether you have 2 or 3 I think.

I guess Gomez is slightly slower but you aren't beating anyone off the line with 76 pace anyway. He also has High attacking workrate which I don't know how much stock I put into that but some people are pretty :tinfoil: about it so it could be important

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 19, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

blue footed boobie posted:

God wtf I went away for a year and all the acronyms have changed. Is OTW the same as in form/IF?

It's Ones to Watch, it's a black colored card that takes on the stats of whatever the highest IF card exists for that player

Speaking of Bundesliga players though I almost have enough coins to buy Vidal :getin:

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 19, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I mean, a lot of the empirical "this player did well for me and this player didn't" stuff just sounds like sample size to me, to be honest

I find it very hard to believe that EA like systematically coded some players to be better than their stats or something, and unless they did that I don't see any reason he would be magically better

Not saying your experience didn't happen, just that it's well within the bounds of randomness

I know you are gonna counter with "well the chemistry poo poo was all broken" but that was like an entire system that didn't work, and didn't work in a predictable way and one that made sense. If you can make an argument for why some players would be better than their stats I'll listen but I haven't heard one that makes any sense to me

That's also not true about corners in open play, any time you are crossing from near the back line they have definitely been nerfed. If you do a lot of early crosses or like crosses from maybe the penalty spot distance or so those are probably still fine but the goalies absolutely rush out to get more crosses in any situation than before.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If you mostly score from crosses though I would find it really cool if you did like a writeup with screenshots or video or something of what you find the best situations or timing to do on them is, I can do them sometimes but I dunno if I'm doing like the highest % chances. I used to take them to the backline but now that's terrible so I dunno.

Do you hit anything when it's in the air or do you just let the CPU do all the positioning and poo poo?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

blue footed boobie posted:

Supposedly you should run to the back line and cross to the far post. It hasn't really worked out that great for me, though.

That's the thing that got nerfed, anything from the back line gets grabbed by the keeper now

Also I didn't think to look at traits, if one has power header and you do headers a lot then that's reasonable, you convinced me

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 19, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know how to actually check if I unblocked the Fifa (not PSN) ports successfully? I'm on a 1 gb fiber line and I haven't had a non laggy match in literally days

Not like packet loss and stuttering but just huge delay on everything, feels like 300 ms ping at least

Is there a big security risk if I just make my ps4 a dmz? Will that stop other computers on the network from using ports that I haven't specifically forwarded to them? Right now I'm just using upnp which I understand is not ideal but better than having a dmz.

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 19, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I play a tit for tat rule, like those prisoner's dilemma programs.

I won't play counter attack or anything more defensive than defensive (and that's only if I'm up), but if I see you park it you better believe I'm parkin it and if I'm already up you aren't gettin the ball back, go die in a ditch

Also as usual pretty much agree with everything Seltzer said

When people are parking it it should be really easy to get to their penalty box and then hard to score but instead it's just basically harder to build up with no penalty or lack of ability to counter attack for the opponent

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 23, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
On phone but the higher reward is worth much more

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Big glitch right now apparently where you can just get free wins, so if you see people immediately disconnect on you on PS4 this is what's happening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pRqtntB4ME

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Well I'm not gonna repeat the glitch for obvious reasons but if people quit on you that's why

Seasons is probably safe, everyone is probably taking their free wins in draft for max value. I played 5 games of seasons and only got quit on once

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TheBigAristotle posted:

Back in the day you could quit before the 5th minute and it wouldn't register that the match even occurred.

lol I remember that

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
As a side effect, this is probably the best possible time to play draft, even if you aren't planning on cheating, because as soon as any cheater gets up a goal on you they will quit and you won't get a loss either, and there's no possible way EA can punish you for just playing the game and having someone use a glitch against you.

I just don't get the point of using a glitch. Like, did people not learn when they were 12 that using a Game Genie takes all the fun out of the game? What's the point in getting free wins and l33t coins if you get no accomplishment whatsoever out of it? It's just a grind at that point. I want to actually play and get better at the game.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah weird

I use my W/L as a tracker of how good I'm actually getting, I don't want it hosed up with like my connections dropping but I also don't want it hosed up with free wins either

I always used to tell people in League of Legends also, they would get mad and be like "oh I got to plat 1 but I'm really diamond it's my team holding me back" and I would tell them like well you're going to get to your true elo and then start going up and down around it based on luck so actually your real elo is probably a couple divisions lower than the highest one you ever get so you're worse than the one you even got

I'm real popular why do you ask

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 25, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Man I just can't get past division 3 this year yet.

I'm averaging conceding 1.25 goals a game which is okay I guess but I'm scoring 1.5 a game :negative:

My record's down to like 78-60-66. Sooo many 1-1 and 0-0 draws.

I can't even like figure out what to do from my opponents because I feel like the only things I concede are like either I made some huge dumb mistake on defense, or a long shot, or a header. Nobody's doing any real good passing/dribbling goals for me to emulate, but I know they're possible because the usual twitch suspects are still doing fine. I'm just poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Filthee Fingas posted:

I'm stuck in div 5 with a similar win/loss ratio. Keep getting the worst lag (going to check if it's something local because of my modem/internet). The one thing that's resulted in so many goals conceded is a through ball going nowhere and the other team countering. Can't count the number of times i had someone on the break and through balled it only for it to be the most limp pass ever and go 2 feet in front of the passer.

Since the patch the lag/input lag has been brutal. As much as of a sweat fest weekend league was the first weekend, I had a blast because it was lag free. Didn't mind getting beat by people who were clearly better than me.

Yeah actually same I'm getting a lot of lag as I've posted about and the weekend league was almost entirely lag free for me also. I guess so many people playing all at once made it easy for the game to find me a good match.

I just find there's sooo many times where my guys take an extra touch I don't want, or like where the lag hits at just the right time where say I was passing left then holding right so my dude runs to the ball, if a lag increase hits right then then you're just passing the ball softly back for no reason and causing a really dangerous turnover

• Locked thread