Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strenots
Jun 21, 2005

'Course it's a good idea!

Shot of the day from the PC Parmos cup run earlier, courtesy of Skyfire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KALDbVRP8tM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strenots
Jun 21, 2005

Thanks to those who posted some of the starter squads above. I just started fresh on the ps4 and was running into frustrations, but went on a good run after some squad and tactical adjustments. Ran into a 5-2-1-2 and it broke my offensive brain, and of course lost in the final minutes to them being able to rush past an injured defender, but I'm (for the moment) much less angry about FIFA.

Strenots
Jun 21, 2005

Looking for some resources on not being poo poo at this game beyond just playing more. Google just seems to return a bunch of clickbaity articles that give John Madden levels of obvious advice. I'm working on my ball handling and slowly getting better at defense, but I just can't seem to finish. I'm holding at division 7 and feeling like I'm losing a lot of games that I should be putting away. Squad is pretty fresh and I rotate between a couple of starter squads listed in the past couple of pages.

Strenots
Jun 21, 2005

Stefan Prodan posted:

I think this guy gives good advice and doesn't do clickbait poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvM5BAS6E8M

These were helpful, thanks!

Strenots
Jun 21, 2005

Seltzer posted:

I'd say finishing is actually one of the easier things to get good at, it's all about getting the feel down over time though, there are no real secrets. The only hard and fast facts this year are- Always go far post if possible, Only finesse shot this year if a player has high curve and/or the finesse shot trait and only finesse far post or if you are completely center to the goal and the keeper is coming out.

If you have any other basic questions feel free to ask, a lot of the game is not explained to you and just is instinct if you've played enough fifa. Stuff like clogging a lane/bumping into a stiker when an opponent triggers a run seems obvious but it's probably not and that's just one small thing. I currently play on default tactics with no instructions on any players but the attacker but that's because I'm really good at defense and don't mind handicapping myself a bit to have more fun and have more dynamic build up play. That being said if you're new setting your CDM and both fullbacks to stay back on attacking is probably a good idea. Defensive/counter attacking tactics may help also but I genuinely believe they're a crutch (mostly counter attack).

Thanks. Right now I'm trying to find any bad habits to drop and I figure a lot of stuff around field awareness, etc. will come once I have a mental framework to work with. I don't think any game other than Rocket League has kicked off my competitive streak quite like this.

Strenots
Jun 21, 2005

I finally feel like I'm hitting my stride and man it feels good. I'm sure i'll go 0-10 tonight because that's how this God forsaken game goes for me, but I at least feel like my opponents are earning their goals rather than capitalizing on stupid defensive moves on my part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strenots
Jun 21, 2005

Alright, I've crossed a clear threshold. Got my first post game hate message. I've arrived.

• Locked thread