Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Megaspel posted:

The serious Fresh Prince episodes were very good, and definitely had a big impact on me as a kid. I looked it up and apparently that was right up on episode 6 in the first season. I think Fresh Prince dealt with serious subject incredibly well, and was setup from the beginning to support talking about them, and it's an excellent example of using the contrast between whacky characters and serious moments well. It felt much more like it was an actual goal of the writers to bring those ideas and experiences to the masses using the show, whereas B99 is not set up for that at all.

Yeah I'm really not a fan of Gina any more. The cement thing was probably the final nail. They're just making her a one note character and then having all her punchlines be about a single attribute about her, it feels a lot like Flanderization, but all the jokes are just "ha ha this character has this single bad trait that defines her", like we're supposed to laugh at them parodying their own character.

I genuinely don't think Gina is any more obnoxious now than I ever did, in the sense that I always thought she was obnoxious. Her whole shtick is being an rear end in a top hat and getting rewarded for it. There are like two times she's had consequences for anything; every other time is "Gina knew what she was doing the whole time and is the hero of the day" or "the thing Gina is into is precious and deserves support."

The whole Ginazone thing is pretty much what Gina's always been. I thought that episode would have been a good finale just because it checked off a bunch of B99 boxes, including the "Gina is secretly the best person on the planet" one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Caphi posted:

I genuinely don't think Gina is any more obnoxious now than I ever did, in the sense that I always thought she was obnoxious. Her whole shtick is being an rear end in a top hat and getting rewarded for it. There are like two times she's had consequences for anything; every other time is "Gina knew what she was doing the whole time and is the hero of the day" or "the thing Gina is into is precious and deserves support."

The whole Ginazone thing is pretty much what Gina's always been. I thought that episode would have been a good finale just because it checked off a bunch of B99 boxes, including the "Gina is secretly the best person on the planet" one.

This. Ive always disliked her. The only timr I considered her good was hiring the new tech guy episode. Otherwise yuck.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
I like the version of Gina that was best friends with Jake growing up

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

try the new taco place posted:

I like the version of Gina that was best friends with Jake growing up

yeah I liked Gina when she and Boyle were a couple

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

B99 has been renewed!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Another year of excellent posting to look forward to!

:)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I am actually surprised I thought we were at the "break out stars go on to other projects" phase of the show.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There really aren't any Stars to break out.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I think out of the whole cast, Rosa could move up to the Terry Crews/Andre Braugher/Andy Samberg level of work.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

There really aren't any Stars to break out.

I feel like Andy Samberg could get another leading comedy role from this, more so than prior to the show.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

He had one last year and it bombed

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Popstar? It had catchy songs at least.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Popstar owns

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
hosed that girl like the US military hosed Bin Laden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr9Kaa1sycs

That song was stuck in my head for about a week.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Not saying it was bad, just that it lost money

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Popstar was pretty darn funny. I enjoyed its documentary style, too.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
Melissa Fumero and Stephanie Beatriz are the only cast members who might move up in the entertainment world imo

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Melissa Fumero and Stephanie Beatriz are the only cast members who might move up in the entertainment world imo

Well Andre Braugher's going to continue to be the best actor alive, probably. But it's true that's not really a move.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Beatriz is a terrible actress who can hardly keep a straight face in her scenes. However, she has an incredible body so maybe she'll find more work along the lines of her role in Modern Family.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TommyGun85 posted:

Beatriz is a terrible actress who can hardly keep a straight face in her scenes. However, she has an incredible body so maybe she'll find more work along the lines of her role in Modern Family.

She's a great actress, she's just been saddled with that Klingon voice that was probably a funny idea in the pilot but should never have been kept for the long haul.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Fellatio del Toro posted:

He had one last year and it bombed

Bombed isn't really the right way to describe it, it didn't make money because it simply didn't get shown anywhere. People wanted to go see it, and the people who could go generally really enjoyed it, but a film can't make money if it's not on any screens. Plain bad marketing really, it could've been pretty big.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I don't know how I feel about Andy Samberg outside of Brooklyn 99. He's pretty good, but I don't know if I really like him as the main dude. He's great when he has other great actor to work with but if it's too focused on him I get a bit sick of him after a while.

6-year plan man
Sep 1, 2007
working hardly, or hardly working?
Cowabunga mother lol

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

She's been buried alive three times. I've only been buried alive once.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I too am a fan of the hit TV Show Blookyn 99

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I've never seen her this shocked. :geno:

e: No, YOU'RE the cuck!

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 12:02 on May 17, 2017

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This episode only reenforced that the show owns and Gina continues to be terrible. Its weird how this can be my favorite show and I can hate a character on it so much at the same time.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I spent the entire episode hoping Gina Gershon wouldn't be corrupt. It was so loving obvious from the beginning, I thought maybe they were playing the audience. But no, we need yet another dirty cop/FBI agent storyline.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I spent the entire episode hoping Gina Gershon wouldn't be corrupt. It was so loving obvious from the beginning, I thought maybe they were playing the audience. But no, we need yet another dirty cop/FBI agent storyline.

Yeah, it seemed like they were playing all the common tropes "You're on to me, so why don't you join the team?".

Who knows, maybe Jake will "Bust" her only to find out it was an even bigger undercover job.

It was dumb but I couldn't stop laughing at the recurring water drinking job. Maybe pushed a BIT too far but I feel his pain, when I went through weight loss I had to drop soda cold turkey and drink a ton of water so I had many, many of the same thoughts.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Badge before

SCULLY

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
What are you doing at Razz'ma'tazz?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
RIP Pizza Rat :(

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I was at a La-La Land sing-along.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Pimento in that first episode was hilarious.

"One rule, I don't do kids. BUT, I am willing to make an exception, IF the kid's a dick."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

HookShot posted:

Pimento in that first episode was hilarious.

"One rule, I don't do kids. BUT, I am willing to make an exception, IF the kid's a dick."

Pimento was used well. I would be ok if he shows up once a season, just like Doug Judy.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Pimento was used well. I would be ok if he shows up once a season, just like Doug Judy.

Yeah, definitely. In small doses he's really funny.

Conclusions
Oct 18, 2003

The ball of yarn will be on your desk by Friday.
I'm glad the show's been renewed, otherwise that would have been a real downer ending to leave the series on.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Jake and Rosa go to Prison is gonna be great, but it's gonna be hard to top Jake and Ray go to Florida.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Mymla posted:

Jake and Rosa go to Prison is gonna be great, but it's gonna be hard to top Jake and Ray go to Florida.

I hope Rosa ends up in the Orange is the New Black prison with Kimmy Schmidt's bunker mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Conclusions posted:

I'm glad the show's been renewed, otherwise that would have been a real downer ending to leave the series on.

Nah man, the Seinfeld ending is a classic.

• Locked thread