Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
"Are we talking about a young Al Gore? *chuckles* Peralta, you do make me laugh."

AHaha, God drat I love the captain.

"Now put on a smile, porkchop." :allears:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Hahaha, Holt experiencing a marshmallow was funny, but him coming in at the end and barking like a dog was fantastic. :allears:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Oh, you guys didn't know Gina had an adoptive twin sister?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sereri posted:

Who is also called Gina

It's actually just three emojis, but sure, we can call her Gina.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Thread's active again, has it started up again? Did I miss the first episode?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Bless you sir. Haha, watched a clip on youtube:
"There is nothing :airquote:gendered:airquote: about a sexy cat."

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Hey, yiff you look good you look good, right?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

404notfound posted:

Did Nathan Fillion gain weight?

Fillion's been a classy Pilsbury Doughboy since about year two of Castle.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh well that didn't happen so I guess never mind?

Except that it kinda was though. It was an incredibly clumsy attempt to go "really makes u think, am i rite?"

The set up was great; Terry gets stopped for walking while black at night by a racist cop. Then it becomes a parenting comedy and the kids' questions are answered by the most condescending bullshit ever after a couple jokes abotu cake or whatever. If you're going to include unfunny kid parts, then at least write better audience insert explanations.

The dinner scene was good, showing the racist cop rationalizing his racism with the numbers and crime statistics, and also his skewed sense regarding cops vs citizens.

It wasn't an imprtant epsiode as much as it was a throwaway gag in blackface. The episodes touching on Holt being gay and black in the 70s had more nuance and relevance.

The ending where Hoilt supports Terry was a sweet character-building moment for the captain, not any attempt to resolve the storyline or shine a light deeper into systemic racism and the blue shield. It was an "eh, huh," episode, not an "Oh my god, wow," episode.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 10, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Megaspel posted:

What would you have them do differently? I mean if they resolved it fully and the police dude got fired or whatever, that would be super messed up and send the wrong message, unless there's a different way to resolve you're thinking of? It definitely was rough at balancing real and serious topics with the standard light hearted situational comedy.

Honestly? Don't do it at all. They're trying to somehow channel a zeitgeist while also keeping their show the exact same as before - full of hilarious jokes and puns and useless idiot cops who fun/luck their way into success or non-critical failure.

It's too serious for their world for them to do effectively. This past episode had corrupt Buffalo cops arrested off screen to facilitate a group party. JakenAmy's explanation about how it's scary to be black but it's okay don't worry about it is just fuckin' insulting. I'd've dropped the whole arc of JakenAmy or had Amy be a lot more adult and intelligent with regards to speaking on this subject matter to the girls, it added nothing to this particular episode as it was.

Everything Terry went through on his episode arc touched all the right notes - his fear for his daughters in the future, the inequity between cops and notcops, the statistics of being black as a rational for systemic racism, Jake's flashback of non-black privilege, the potential repercussions for breaking the blue shield, et cetera. Some of it's done with humor and some of it's done quite seriously, and it's good. It's a huge shame, and a letdown for the subject matter, because they do absolutely nothing with it.

It's just an utterly toothless episode for the topic given that it doesn't/won't have any lasting impact on the characters. The big conflict is whether or not Holt helps Terry file the official complaint? Nobody else in the precinct does more than give banal platitudes over what happened. The ending is that terry's complaint might have prevented him from getting a promotion, but Holt and Terry're fine with that because an abusive cop has an invisible checkmark on his record now? And a bully'll somehow "think twice" before bullying someone else?

If their goal at B99 was to raise the issue, then it's no longer an issue because it's totally resolved and everything's great again. So that's a failure for them. It glosses over the whole thing while pretending to address it and even resolve it in some manner.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Megaspel posted:

What would you have them do differently? I mean if they resolved it fully and the police dude got fired or whatever, that would be super messed up and send the wrong message, unless there's a different way to resolve you're thinking of? It definitely was rough at balancing real and serious topics with the standard light hearted situational comedy.

Sorry to double post/quote, but why would that be sending the wrong message? At worst it would be somewhat hypocritical given the 99's regular actions and activities to suspects over the length of he show, but why would firing an abusive and racist cop (maybe make it his second formal complaint or whatever, show a pattern of abuse) be a bad message to send to viewers?

What's the right message?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 10, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Captain Holt is the best straight man in years.

As for B99 being Transphobic, I don't think it ever was, but I know Terry Crews posted a tweet about how silly it was to be a trans person. It was something abotu how being transgender was considered perfectly fine, but being transracial(?) was not fine?

Tiny Brontosaurus overreacts about things, but it comes from a place of extreme woke-edness. It's not an insult to her for the most part. Racism is something that affects certain groups of people hard, and those it doesn't really effect keep saying poo poo like "okay, suuure, I get it but it's not that bad," and "maybe if you'd explain it to me one more time I'd finally understand it all," - as if it's not serious enough for them to do some legit research on the matter. It would probably feel very dismissive as a person and antagonistic after a while.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 11, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CharlestheHammer posted:

That doesn't really apply here as the episode dealt with it in about the best way it could. Hell so far the only real argument against is that it shouldn't because it's a sitcom. Which is an argument I guess but has nothing to do with the content here. I mean the episode at no point tries to lessen racism in any real way.

You literally haven't been following the discussion for all your posts. The argument isn't that it shouldn't because it's a sitcom, it's that it didn't. It made a worthless, toothless token gesture. It applied its sitcom nature to a very serious topic which renders the topic weak and powerless instead of being the very powerful issue that it truly is.

The show lessened racism by compartmentalizing it and resolving it the way it did. Terry almost gets arrested for being black, oh well, sorry bud, boy howdy that sure is terrible but there's nothing we can do says all the other cops in the room, lol wut is racism says another cop. Sweetie, your dad experienced some terrible systemic racism from people in authority that you're definitely going to experience in a few years but don't worry it's okay. Sgt, you most likely rocked the boat too much and lost this opportunity at promotion and every other promotion in the future due to your complaint but it's cool that other cop got a meaningless warning, be happy you're changing the world. Now let's never mention any of this ever again.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I've spent a month or two growing the whole sourdough in a jar thing, and thought it was pretty hilarious that Boyle's family had a 400 year old sourdough starter. Boyle's best line of that episode was his casual "She's my sister and we've had sex" to his cousins, and their "cool cool" response.

I think this show would be better if Gina were to leave it. Give some more time to Rosa or something.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

starkebn posted:

I think Gina and Rosa have been the weakest for a while. Gina's probably worst though.

Holt is Elder God tier though.

Holt is great, and I thought it was hilarious when Rosa was groaning through the morning workout distraction with him. Her half-dead on the treadmill was amazing. :)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Popstar was pretty darn funny. I enjoyed its documentary style, too.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Conclusions posted:

I'm glad the show's been renewed, otherwise that would have been a real downer ending to leave the series on.

Nah man, the Seinfeld ending is a classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
http://i.imgur.com/3AD2CUD.gifv

• Locked thread