Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mike Schur loving loves weddings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You're dealing with two items, basically, not three. You're discussing two sets rather than three individual choices. One set has a 33 percent change, the other a 66. Of that second set, one item in the set has a 0 percent chance of having a 66 percent chance, and the other has a 100 percent chance of a 66 percent chance. So you always switch to the second set.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Her name is Gina.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

This is an example of the show's irresponsibility about representing cops that frustrates me. "A few bad apples" is the exact defense police departments use to avoid changing corrupt systems that lead to cops gunning down children in the street. There is no more powerful tool for changing perceptions than television. They don't have to turn the show into a soapbox to do better on this stuff. Just having a character call out the "few bad apples" defense would have done a lot of good. Our opinions come directly from the media we consume, whether we're aware of it or not.
I agree with this, and also I think this episode occupies a weird place because, for the show to work, you need to gloss over some of the realities of the justice system and policing (or at least that's the show they've chosen to make - you could have a much darker comedy that dealt with them). They aren't funny in a show like this. It's a comedy about a broken system in which the joke isn't that the system is broken. By having an episode that deals directly with it, you suddenly have to ask why the rest of the show doesn't. Briefly, the show's reality became our reality, and normally it's a much brighter, more cartoonish world in which an insane woman forces people to drink cement. You can't then have an episode where a character is hospitalized because of it, because then you're changing the rules of the show. B99 can't have it both ways. Either in its world it's okay when the cops go around pointing their guns at people because they want to, or it's a serious problem. Either way it's a problem when you think about the real-world implications (or aforementioned effects of how media shapes what we think).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also in Parks and Rec they violated a shitton of hiring rules.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Pawnee, Indiana doesn't exist. Brooklyn, New York does.

I'm a pedantic rear end in a top hat.
False. Indiana is more real than New York.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Did the show ever recover from the nosedive it took after season 2?
The third season hasn't aired yet, but S2 picks up a lot in the last few episodes. It just has a dip in the middle where production issues forced them to scramble a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Funso Banjo posted:

What? Did I imagine season 3 and 4?
You did, yes. Amy and Jake die at the end of S2.

• Locked thread