Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
In defiance of Jake's lesson that you can't put things back the way they were, I started rewatching from season 1. Despite not having the three seasons of relationship development it's still pretty strong. I forgot about the weird Boyle/Diaz plot, but that's the only issue I'm having.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
There are already too many girl characters! We don't need a third!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Megaspel posted:

The serious Fresh Prince episodes were very good, and definitely had a big impact on me as a kid. I looked it up and apparently that was right up on episode 6 in the first season. I think Fresh Prince dealt with serious subject incredibly well, and was setup from the beginning to support talking about them, and it's an excellent example of using the contrast between whacky characters and serious moments well. It felt much more like it was an actual goal of the writers to bring those ideas and experiences to the masses using the show, whereas B99 is not set up for that at all.

Yeah I'm really not a fan of Gina any more. The cement thing was probably the final nail. They're just making her a one note character and then having all her punchlines be about a single attribute about her, it feels a lot like Flanderization, but all the jokes are just "ha ha this character has this single bad trait that defines her", like we're supposed to laugh at them parodying their own character.

I genuinely don't think Gina is any more obnoxious now than I ever did, in the sense that I always thought she was obnoxious. Her whole shtick is being an rear end in a top hat and getting rewarded for it. There are like two times she's had consequences for anything; every other time is "Gina knew what she was doing the whole time and is the hero of the day" or "the thing Gina is into is precious and deserves support."

The whole Ginazone thing is pretty much what Gina's always been. I thought that episode would have been a good finale just because it checked off a bunch of B99 boxes, including the "Gina is secretly the best person on the planet" one.

• Locked thread