Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Boyle was way too goddamn annoying in this episode. I worry he's Flanderizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Celery Jello posted:

So far, it's a completely arbitrary character tic being added to character that already had an annoying tic (his creepy-as-hell obsession with Jake/Rosa). When they keep Boyle under control, he's fine, but every time they amp up his weirdness to 11 he just becomes irritating.

Yeah the Nikolaj stuff is pointless but what really got me close to turning the episode off was him being a mega-creep about Jake and Amy early in the episode.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Amy was annoyingly dumb and tone-deaf in this episode. Between this and Boyle last week I'm starting to get worried.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Solice Kirsk posted:

Once Jason Mantzoukas was featured I knew it would be taking a nose dive. That dude is pretty funny in interviews and stuff, but on TV shows he's basicallly a kiss of death if he has more than a few lines or is in more than one or two episodes. Although I'm basing this solely off of this and The League, but I still feel thats a good sample size.

The League is like a laboratory experiment where they gathered a bunch of funny comedians together and tried to discover the least amount of comedy they could possibly generate

I liked his plotline okay, except for how it turned Rosa into a weepy mess. I'm really annoyed with how much this show does the old sitcom thing of building up plotlines that turn out to be completely disposable. Her relationship with Holt's nephew seemed like it was going somewhere, then nope. Same with every one of Boyle's relationships - I half expect the current wife to die off screen so he can start creeping on women in the precinct again.

It's frustrating to see a promising one-camera show keep falling back on three-camera writing.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 19, 2016

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Maxwell Lord posted:

Mantzoukas' story led to last season's two parter and this season's three part opener, all of which was great.

(Three-camera being used as a pejorative is dumb. Watch a Frasier episode sometime ya philistines.)

Never! :colbert:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

algebra testes posted:

So it's back this week, and Fox released a promo with Adrian Pimento in it, so yay I guess, but also okay I worry they're seriously writing themselves into a corner with this whole thing. But we'll see what happens I guess.

Man, as a post election pick me up I was watching the Lazy Sunday clip, they should get Parnell back because he's great. I can't remember the exact details of what happened to his character so I'm not even sure if that is in-universe possible. But still.

He got arrested for committing all the crimes, but that shouldn't be much of a hurdle for the writers.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TommyGun85 posted:

...yet Chelsea Perretti is Gina in real life.

The human embodiment of the 100 emoji.

I was surprisingly disappointed in this episode. It felt really tonally off and dumbed down. The plot with Teddy felt so broad I kept expecting there to be a twist, like his girlfriend being in on it and the whole proposal to Amy being part of some trap. But nope. The former Mrs. Tom Haverford just goes for dopes, I guess.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

algebra testes posted:

Unfortunately eventually you hit a point where the characters are absurd bundles of injokes and neurosis and the writers struggle come up with new jokes that aren't tired rehashes. Or they end up making the characters completely erratic or unrelatable due to a build up of comedic baggage.

Archer gets around this by soft reebooting the show every season/other season, and that works for them but probably wouldn't for B99.

Yeah Jake's goldfish memory thing is a great example. Multiple episodes have shown him to be a good detective with a functioning memory. I hate that they made him suddenly an idiot for a weak joke.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TommyGun85 posted:

I know its a comedy show, but that guy in a rough patch was "forced" into that position by gambling debts. You most certainly can judge him for the decisions he has made.

extreme unfunny example: nazis shouldnt be judged as they were "pushed" into those roles.

On Gina: she sucks now. Her accident sucked and served only to peak interest in between the break and then she comes back, is in an unfunny brace for one episode and now is back to normal.

aside from the first two awful episodes in florida, I think this season has otherwise been pretty good. they needed to drop terrible storylines like boyles kid and pimento.

Holy poo poo dude I've never seen somebody Godwin over a sitcom before.

The gambling debts line was added specifically so someone like you would be okay with the guy's life being ruined. The reason your mind works that way in the first place is because of a steady drip-drip-drip of media saying police violence is heroic, criminals don't have rights, and a person deserves anything that happens to them as long as you can find a mistake they made to point to. Brooklyn Nine-Nine is one of the most popular cop show on TV right now, and probably the one most likely to be watched by kids, and when Jake & Co. act like dirty cops it normalizes behavior that kills real people in real life. I'm sick of seeing them point guns at unarmed suspects. Half the time a real cop kills someone it's because he was trying to wave his weapon around and act tough like he was on TV.

I liked the Florida episodes and I can stick with the Pimento episodes because I love Jason Mantzoukas's portrayal of him, but I agree that Gina is getting way too cartoonish. Remember when they used to have episodes underlining how much more responsible she was than Jake, and her whole deal was that she had a much more well-rounded life than the cop characters? The comedy came from her not caring about things in a show where everybody cares as much as they possibly can. That was funny.

The prank storyline also made it hard to ignore how Gina's really written to be about twenty years younger than Chelsea Peretti is. She's their way of sneaking in a millennial character into a premise where it doesn't make sense for anyone to be under 30.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ChesterJT posted:

Must be a slow day in D&D. You know this thread is for the comedy show Brooklyn 99 right? Maybe try out the "Comments on law enforcement for which I have no experience or knowledge of" thread which I'm sure exists over there somewhere.

Is there a new episode yet? Good lord.

Yeah my black rear end definitely has no experience or knowledge of cops behaving like action heroes. Yep.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

double negative posted:

I just pretend this show is a loosely connected sketch show at this point, because the overarching plots are hot garbage but the little bits like Hitchcock's suicide tattoo and mentee Amy are as amazing as ever

22 Short Films about Brooklyn

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

I love that Holt is "execute[d]... so differently" from what we expect gay characters to act like. It is honestly refreshing af to see a gay (and black!) character represented as the antithesis of whatever shambling homo-culus hollywood dictates we internalize.

Yeah it's great. There's a hint of Frasier and his brother in him, and they were low-key coded as gay, but the flashbacks to his funky badass cop days balance that out wonderfully, and I think they've done a great job of slowly revealing his goofy side, like when he eats marshmallows or congratulates Jake on the Full Bullpen.

And that pun :golfclap:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

Or holding puppies

Or stanning over oboists

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

poo poo, now I want some more of Holt's funky flashbacks.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ChesterJT posted:

I think in contrast with every episode of the show being goofy fun I could understand it sticking out as such a serious thing but I thought they handled it excellently. I also really liked Holt's justification for his change of tune, thinking he was doing the best thing for Terry but realizing everything he did was so that he could do things differently in the future. And I also appreciated that they tried to make it a point to say that although there's a few bad apples, like in any profession, cops are mostly good people and join because they want to help people. I guess it would be hard for them to do a "cops blow" episode since the entire premise is they're all cops but still.

This is an example of the show's irresponsibility about representing cops that frustrates me. "A few bad apples" is the exact defense police departments use to avoid changing corrupt systems that lead to cops gunning down children in the street. There is no more powerful tool for changing perceptions than television. They don't have to turn the show into a soapbox to do better on this stuff. Just having a character call out the "few bad apples" defense would have done a lot of good. Our opinions come directly from the media we consume, whether we're aware of it or not.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

mossyfisk posted:

I thought Fresh Prince did episodes like this much better.

Fresh Prince was amazing at that, but it was set in a less cartoony world than B99. I like B99's cartooniness. As much as I think it's important to address police misconduct and as useful a tool as TV can be for that, B99's half measures do more harm than good, and I personally never needed B99 to step into the ring on that stuff anyway. I'm fine with The Pontiac Bandit. I love The Pontiac Bandit.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I did really really like Holt's speech about never having any leaders who supported him though. More than once with this show Andre Braugher has brought a tear to my eye.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

General Dog posted:

That's pretty much baked into the premise of having a light-hearted comedy about cops, though. You can't really make "The Shield, But With Jokes". I mean you can, but it's a very different show.

Exactly, which is why I'd rather they just didn't touch racial profiling, however good their intentions may have been.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Hughlander posted:

But they tried... I'm probably the only person who remembers that...

Oh man. How bad was it? I have to watch.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Maxwell Lord posted:

The 99 is always portrayed as a bit utopian- they act irresponsibly for comic effect, but they're not in a war zone mentality or overrun with white supremacists like many actual PDs. So when a cop does a bigoted thing they do the right thing and report it rather than close ranks. It's consistently been shown that the rest of the NYPD isn't necessarily that good- they're often a force in opposition, playing petty politics with the 99.

So it's less a "few bad apples" situation than sort of the inverse, where the 99 are the few good cops out there.

Basically you have to treat it a bit like Star Trek and accept it takes place in a world better than ours.

Yeah, a Brooklyn you can afford to buy a house in on a cop's salary.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Wait, are you talking about in TV Land or in reality? Because jurisdiction is absolutely something different precincts will wave their dicks at each other about. A large part of the issue with the corrupt NYPD of the 70s and 80s was that the Manhattan DA had a jurisdictional problem trying to get any cases together against organized crime in Brooklyn and Queens.

I think there's a difference between originating a case in another jurisdiction or just pursuing a perp from your district to another. I can't remember the details of that episode though so I forget how they ended up at the LIRR.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CharlestheHammer posted:

So the parts actually dealing with the plot were good but it was actually bad because???????

You're being an idiot. The episode was clunky and badly-written, and mishandled the subject matter. It's okay for people to criticize things.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Megaspel posted:

I agree that it's fine to criticize something, but you literally said

So don't pretend you're just saying "i'm just having some mild criticisms" when you're actually saying "This episode was the worst episode and it has no redeeming qualities and should never have existed". From your posts you just seem to hate everything, which is kinda useless since that just means everything is equally important in terms of being worthy to hate.

What would you have them do differently? I mean if they resolved it fully and the police dude got fired or whatever, that would be super messed up and send the wrong message, unless there's a different way to resolve you're thinking of? It definitely was rough at balancing real and serious topics with the standard light hearted situational comedy.

I am not the one Charlesthehammer was bitching about, duder. I also didn't say this episode was "the worst," I quite liked Holt's speech to Terry. Calm the gently caress down.

What I would have liked them to do differently was choose a topic appropriate to the tone and world of the show, or at the very least write the scenes with Terry's kids better, because they were hamhanded and boring.

CharlestheHammer posted:

When people start doing that then cool, but that isn't what is happening here. I think thing is bad is not a criticism its just a statement. The only real criticism I have seen is that the kids stuff was kind of weirdly placed but a comedy show has to have some attempts at comedy in them. Which is what that part was for.

Try actually reading the thread then? Idk what to tell you.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 10, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CharlestheHammer posted:

Maybe you should read the thread? Or show me whatever thread your reading.

Maybe you should stop throwing a tanty that people have different opinions than you

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Megaspel posted:

I wasn't even talking about charles, I'm an independent person with thoughts and feelings. People aren't all ganging up on you just because we both have some disagreements with some of what other posters have to say. I think it's ironic you're telling people to calm down in a very uncalm manner, as a wise wint once said "and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad."

Then you insist that you don't think the episode is the worst and say, "to improve the episode they could have just not made it, it not existing would be an improvement". Like honestly, I hate people shutting down actual conversation in TVIV, but the only one doing that here is you when you just fly off the handle and start calling everyone an idiot for asking you to expand on your thoughts. All you're doing here is "this is absolute bad, nothing could be done to improve, please everyone stop talking about it, thanks in advance".

I think you do have good opinions a lot of the time, but you're just completely refusing to engage in conversation, instead you're playing the victim and doubling down on "it's bad because I said so", instead of actually talking to us. Take a breath and try not being so hostile, because I, for one, actually want to hear what you have to say, as long as you can explain your thoughts when asked or at least not resort to a slap fight the second someone disagrees with you.

Hoooooly poo poo dude, take a deep breath. If I'm "hostile" it's because I stepped in to defend somebody from a gooning and got ganged up on for my efforts. I've written a lot about what I liked and didn't like about the episode. I do think it's a topic they shouldn't have tried to address, and thinking so doesn't mean I'm slapping sweaty hands on the keyboard going WORST. EPISODE. EVER. because I'm a regular person and not a caricature that lives in your fevered mind. You seem to feel very attacked that I didn't think the episode was handled well, but unless I'm greatly mistaken I don't think you worked on it, so maybe you should take a step back and try to calm down a little.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Lol no thanks. Have enough screeching assholes berating me in my life, thanks.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol you have some serious issues if asking you what your opinions actually are results in you melting down this hard.

For like the third time, I already posted my opinions on this episode. You're free to read them at any time. And if you want to talk meltdowns maybe look to Megaspel, who's spamming thousands of words into my inbox and following me around the forums.

It's okay not to like an episode of a teevee show, guys.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

try the new taco place posted:

Melissa Fumero and Stephanie Beatriz are the only cast members who might move up in the entertainment world imo

Well Andre Braugher's going to continue to be the best actor alive, probably. But it's true that's not really a move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TommyGun85 posted:

Beatriz is a terrible actress who can hardly keep a straight face in her scenes. However, she has an incredible body so maybe she'll find more work along the lines of her role in Modern Family.

She's a great actress, she's just been saddled with that Klingon voice that was probably a funny idea in the pilot but should never have been kept for the long haul.

• Locked thread