Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Well this is big news. Apparently this season is very likely to be the end.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/03/12/jake-johnson-new-girl-almost-definitely-ending-after-season-6.html

quote:

“Fox won’t tell us [whether the show will be renewed],” he says while promoting his new Netflix film Win It All, which he stars in and co-wrote with Easy’s Joe Swanberg, at SXSW. “But we shot a finale where, if this was the end, the core fan base would be OK.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

SunshineDanceParty posted:

My favorite part of this season has been them running with the Cece Winston pairing. The characters have a great dynamic.

A classic Cece and Winston mess-around?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

We better find out Schmidt's name :argh:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Not surprised since the ratings are really bad, and they have been kinda setting up a lot of ending things. Winston's engaged, CeCe has an agency, Nick's writing has somehow found an audience. This would not be a bad end point.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

But the banter! It could go on forever. Ah.

What will fill the How I Met Your Mother shaped hole in my heart after this is gone?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Not surprised since the ratings are really bad, and they have been kinda setting up a lot of ending things. Winston's engaged, CeCe has an agency, Nick's writing has somehow found an audience. This would not be a bad end point.

Quite true. And the show is also generally not sucking, which is more than can be said even for most of the best sitcoms. I'd be happy if they brought it to a respectable conclusion now.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

:lol: @ Schmitt's first name.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

hey i'm me winston too!! <- my favourite line

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Yeah that was actually a pretty funny episode. I'm pumped that Megan Fox is gone finally. I actually liked her character but I didn't buy Nick and her at all.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
That episode was everything I hoped it would be. Now they just have to not screw up the finale. (I have no idea if that's next week's episode or what. It's episode 22 of the season, which could potentially be it.)

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Well, thank god it's over.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Well that was potentially the final episode, and that was pretty good.

Wouldn't mind a short last season just to focus on some things other than Nick/Jess (and maybe one last visit from Nadia), but this is good.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Yeah, I'd be ok with the show stopping there too. Everyone's arc wrapped up pretty nicely I think, and the episode definitely had a series (not season) finale kind of tone.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah that was about the best they could do in this situation. There are plenty of easy plot milestones they could follow up on (Winston's wedding, baby Schmidt, more Nick/Jess stuff, Nick's book) but they hit all the character beats they needed to.

I guess they must be happy that Lorde song came out last month. It was perfect for that scene!

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I had no idea that was the finally when I watched it, but I suppose it works really nicely as such. That being said, it felt like it needed at least one more episode to really cap things off.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think we know its the finale, we just know its the season finale and they're not sure if they're getting renewed so they made an episode that could work as a series finale if it is.

I liked it. It was a little underwhelming but I think I'm glad about that. The show had kind of crossed that sitcom line where they get sillier and more exaggerated as time goes on, so it was kind of nice that it did a kind of "Scrubs" move (not that it ever got that bad) and just finished on a nice, simple note. Everything kind of made sense and worked and left everyone on a good note.

I guess except Reagan who really got the short end of that. But ah well. My interest can only go so far for New Girl saying "I know, lets have Megan Fox play a cold, distant person."

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Reports currently are leaning towards "actually Fox sounds interested in our ideas for season 7 now" but still, no one knows because lolfox.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Be a shame if it was cancelled. It was such a funny show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eh, I like it but I feel like its mostly run its course. If it comes back I'll watch it and hopefully keep enjoying it but the story more or less peaked with the wedding and that was a nice place to end it where everyone's got their life together and moving forward happily.

Everything's gotta end sometime. Having a graceful end is nice.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sir Lemming posted:

Reports currently are leaning towards "actually Fox sounds interested in our ideas for season 7 now" but still, no one knows because lolfox.

It's less lolfox and more that they have a ton of shows on the bubble -- in addition to New Girl, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Last Man on Earth, 24, Sleepy Hollow and Gotham are all on life support, so they're having to be very strategic about what they renew. If anything, New Girl has the best chance for a renewal since Fox actually owns the show outright.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Brooklyn 99's back on the bubble? Thought that had gotten bigger after it moved timeslots.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Brooklyn 99's back on the bubble? Thought that had gotten bigger after it moved timeslots.

They got a season high for ratings with the winter finale but it's really going to depend on how strong they come out of the gate with their premiere on Tuesday. Overall the ratings this season have been pretty horrific, it's only going to keep getting more expensive to produce and Fox doesn't own the show, so if it comes down to it, B-99 could easily be on the chopping block. If your show has gone this late in the season without getting a pickup, you're definitely not a lock. Samberg says he doesn't think they'll get canceled, but Dan Goor says it's a distinct possibility.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Better Nadia line:

"Monkey, no!"

or

"That me"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
"Jew person in couch?"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
"I'm waiting for it! That green light! I want it!"

Wait no longer:

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/new-girl-season-7-renewed-fox-1202419231/

quote:

“New Girl” has been renewed on Fox for a seventh season, which will be the show’s last, Variety has learned.

Sources say that the show will return for a shortened eight-episode run for its final season. Fox declined to comment.

“New Girl” did not bring in big numbers its past season, but the show is an important property to Fox, being owned by 20th Century Fox TV and having made rich syndication deals over the years at TBS, MTV and Netflix. The show is Fox’s longest-running live-action comedy on the air, having debuted in 2011. Insiders say the renewal was up in the air, but the network and studio want more episodes.

I was extremely wary of an additional season, but 8 episodes sounds like potentially just enough time to add a little extra bit of finality without wearing out its welcome.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 16, 2017

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the finale was at least good for Nick and Jess, but a last go around with everyone would not be unwelcome.

One final visit from Nadia is in order at least.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eh. It ended in a nice place but 8 episodes is a good number for them to do the obvious stuff like CeCe giving birth, Winston getting married, and Nick and Jess establishing an adult relationship and getting engaged or something. And them all probably moving out of the loft and saying goodbye to that period of their lives.

And Coach because Coach should be in the series finale.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
The new season is going to be 3 years later so we'll see how that goes

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh. Well I guess that does away with that stuff and pushes it more towards "CeCe and Schmidt have a family, Winston and Aly are starting one, and Nick and Jess are settling down?" or something. A little more of a wildcard but I guess Parks and Rec pulled it off.

I just want Coach to bookend the series.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

There will be at least one break up.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lampsacus posted:

There will be at least one break up.

Hopefully Nick and Jess tbh

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
They'll do it How I Met Your Mother style: Jess is dead, Schmidt & CeCe are divorced (the baby also died), Schmidt retreats into his old douchey persona, Winston & Aly broke up, Coach starts dating Aly, Nick marries CeCe. Bet ya didn't expect THAT, suckers!!!

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 17, 2017

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah maybe Nick and Jess. They might do a redux of the pilot where Jess leaves Nick after she catches him cheating on her.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That seems very dumb and would probably leave me soured on the series.

Like, I wasn't deeply invested in Nick and Jess or anything but like the entire last season or two was spent building up to them getting back together so if Nick suddenly cheated on her and it broke up... I'd really end up finding this show stupid.

I'm missing a joke, right?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I'm really happy about this. 8 episodes is an odd amount but it should be enough.

Daric posted:

The new season is going to be 3 years later so we'll see how that goes

Wait really? Do you have a source? This bypasses Cece's pregnancy and yet another wedding, although Nick and Jess will probably have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

STAC Goat posted:

That seems very dumb and would probably leave me soured on the series.

Like, I wasn't deeply invested in Nick and Jess or anything but like the entire last season or two was spent building up to them getting back together so if Nick suddenly cheated on her and it broke up... I'd really end up finding this show stupid.

I'm missing a joke, right?

They are not going to break them up nah.

• Locked thread