Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

tough question, satan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

tough question, satan

Clearly, it's your fault for not being as good at the game as the playtesters.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Cake Attack posted:

tough question, satan

Just close your eyes and hold the d-pad up to randomize it! :v: You might as well tell Atlus about that bit, too.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

They actually released a statement about that. None of the playtesters ever had their ally die there so that dialogue never popped up and they missed it.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Ibram Gaunt posted:

They actually released a statement about that. None of the playtesters ever had their ally die there so that dialogue never popped up and they missed it.

Wasn't that statement for a different boss fight?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Booky posted:

It's probably the same situation, the partner character is dead in that shot too.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

drat Satan always messing things up.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Booky posted:

I've got one like that for the final fight of 7/8, at least.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The 'standard' options would probably include asking your partner for help/advice, so the other dialogue branch is probably that with the partner option removed.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Got untranslated messages sending Izanami through DDS online, too

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Is Magaon important enough to put on the main character?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's very helpful for the boss of the Fairy Forest, I didn't keep it on me too long after that though, since generally if a boss can hit a weakness to smirk you should go in with a different comp since the additional press turns and damage will get you anyway

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The only other big fight where the boss will smirk at will is the final one. You could get away with just having it on a demon really.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

The only other big fight where the boss will smirk at will is the final one. You could get away with just having it on a demon really.

you also have walter with magaon by default, although i suppose if yhvh smirked while fighting the MC party that wouldn't help you

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I'll stick with dia +5 then, thanks.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It's really dumb that Invitation can't be used on the MC

basch
May 24, 2014

this game is loving beautiful and also clearly made by insane people

"Frustrated with your antisocial son? No problem! Just birth a new one and have him kill his old self!"

The best part is how Dagda goes all "MOTHER NO" as you do it too

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's really dumb that Invitation can't be used on the MC

But Bad Company can and it's been really useful for me. Especially if you have a demon with something like Endure and Healing Knowhhow, so he can survive a full party wipe, revive the MC, then you get your B team instantly up and running.

I usually keep a B team though I'm sure a lot of people don't

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

But Bad Company can and it's been really useful for me. Especially if you have a demon with something like Endure and Healing Knowhhow, so he can survive a full party wipe, revive the MC, then you get your B team instantly up and running.

I usually keep a B team though I'm sure a lot of people don't

My entire demon stock is my A team Swapping in battles all day long, baby.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I'm utterly sick of this final dungeon now, the horde of metatrons was funny as a boss fight, even if it was surprisingly easy, but having it show up as a random encounter immediately upon entering the 4th brane was not. Is it even worth it to backtrack for all those colour locked doors, I'm kind of ready to just punch god in the face and be done with this game, the fiend dungeon is equally tedious on the later floors.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 10, 2016

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Wow, I think this might be the first time I'm actually having trouble choosing a route.

Going into this game I was looking forward to more of the bleak tone that got me into the series with IV, and that I loved so much in Strange Journey. Instead I got more for a Devil Survivor / Persona style "here's a cool anime plot with a group of fun characters," which is all right, just not what I really wanted.

So having done the first 10 minutes or so of both sides of the route split, I think I'm more interested in where Dagda's route goes . . . but I was nice to everyone all game so my items will be gone and also, well. I didn't like HAVING the friend squad there, but I do like them now? Does Danu's ending wind up doing anything interesting or at least being particularly well executed, or is it sort of a "seen one friendship ending seen them all" sort of thing? Immediately replacing Dagda and reviving Asahi feels like a ridiculous copout for the first 10 minutes past a route split, also.

I would just use New Game+ to see both endings, but I'm already like 50 hours in and I haven't reached the supposedly horrible final dungeon.

Also, I've been running a Luck/Agility build, is there some point where I should stop putting points into them and go for something else? Especially since I did not know about Awoken Power when I started

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Captain France posted:

Wow, I think this might be the first time I'm actually having trouble choosing a route.

Going into this game I was looking forward to more of the bleak tone that got me into the series with IV, and that I loved so much in Strange Journey. Instead I got more for a Devil Survivor / Persona style "here's a cool anime plot with a group of fun characters," which is all right, just not what I really wanted.

So having done the first 10 minutes or so of both sides of the route split, I think I'm more interested in where Dagda's route goes . . . but I was nice to everyone all game so my items will be gone and also, well. I didn't like HAVING the friend squad there, but I do like them now? Does Danu's ending wind up doing anything interesting or at least being particularly well executed, or is it sort of a "seen one friendship ending seen them all" sort of thing? Immediately replacing Dagda and reviving Asahi feels like a ridiculous copout for the first 10 minutes past a route split, also.

I would just use New Game+ to see both endings, but I'm already like 50 hours in and I haven't reached the supposedly horrible final dungeon.

Also, I've been running a Luck/Agility build, is there some point where I should stop putting points into them and go for something else? Especially since I did not know about Awoken Power when I started

I've only read what takes place in the kill your friends ending, but I from what I can tell it ends up in basically in the same place as the other one in terms of the final boss and everything, but you're just fighting for a different reason, which should probably be obvious.

Although honestly, I'd say in a way at this point the final dungeon is a bit overhyped. It isn't good by any means, especially the final floor since all of the random encounters are just a single enemy, or a hoard entirely filled with that same enemy. The thing is though after a few encounters with those, you'll be at level 99 already and more than ready to take on the final boss. Personally, I only really had a bad time with the first floor of the final dungeon, after that it didn't really seem THAT bad, although I could definitely see why people wouldn't like it.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Oh yeah that's real nice game, give the final boss of the Cosmic Egg a free double Luster Candy right as his first turn comes around. Then give him an Almighty attack that kills half my team before I can even do anything. Real fair.

Seriously, what the gently caress do I do here? If I buff myself he just casts Dekaja and then Antichthon. If I debuff him his free buff erases it and then he casts Antichthon. If I actually manage to survive and heal up to Doping HP levels, he Dekajas and Dekundas anything I throw at him and then casts Antichthon. What is even the counter to this? Half of my good demons don't have the HP to survive one hit.

EDIT: Oh and let's not forget that he never, ever attacks anyone that will block, repel, or drain his attacks, so bringing demons that might actually cause him to lose press turns literally has the opposite effect because he starts going for the weaker ones more.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Oct 11, 2016

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012
In my quest to crush the heavens, I've ended up fusing a Mara that is only neutral to Force. Resistant to Light and Dark, drains Gun, Fire, Ice, and Electricity, and repels Physical.

If Satan can still handle this penis, I'm not sure what my next course of action will be.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Oh yeah that's real nice game, give the final boss of the Cosmic Egg a free double Luster Candy right as his first turn comes around. Then give him an Almighty attack that kills half my team before I can even do anything. Real fair.

Seriously, what the gently caress do I do here? If I buff myself he just casts Dekaja and then Antichthon. If I debuff him his free buff erases it and then he casts Antichthon. If I actually manage to survive and heal up to Doping HP levels, he Dekajas and Dekundas anything I throw at him and then casts Antichthon. What is even the counter to this? Half of my good demons don't have the HP to survive one hit.

EDIT: Oh and let's not forget that he never, ever attacks anyone that will block, repel, or drain his attacks, so bringing demons that might actually cause him to lose press turns literally has the opposite effect because he starts going for the weaker ones more.

I don't remember that fight super well, but I went into it with a full partner assist built up, spent the first turn buffing and debuffing, then just smacked it in the face with a charged smirking mist rush&andalusia from Matador which pretty much skipped directly to its first talking turn. It pretty much only got one actual turn the entire fight.

The actual final boss was really good until the last phase started opening every turn with infinite power.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 11, 2016

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Cake Attack posted:

tough question, satan
Cool I can't wait to find out that this will mean the game will be delayed in Europe until the year 202X.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Captain France posted:

The "kill everyone" ending is a lot shorter for one thing. The friendship ending is pretty typical for a JRPG ending though.

While not the ending per se, the last boss is much more satisfying on the friendship route. Having the entire party take turns dunking on the last boss as he gets angrier and angrier is way more entertaining than the alternative, which is just the last boss rattling off the beatitudes while the silent MC tells him he's full of poo poo.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Rest of the DLC is out. 4 dollars for the SMT protag mashup dlc. Hope it's worth it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

In the Diamond Realm we don't need no stinkin word wrap.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Protip: make sure you have a fuckload of Dekunda stones or are running it in your party or the DLC fight will make you cry.
Fitting that I ended it with a crit 2x damage Freikugel though. :hellyeah:

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Genpei Turtle posted:

The "kill everyone" ending is a lot shorter for one thing. The friendship ending is pretty typical for a JRPG ending though.

While not the ending per se, the last boss is much more satisfying on the friendship route. Having the entire party take turns dunking on the last boss as he gets angrier and angrier is way more entertaining than the alternative, which is just the last boss rattling off the beatitudes while the silent MC tells him he's full of poo poo.

Guess I'll go for "kill everything." I've had enough typical JRPG endings lately, and liked the scene at the start of that route a lot more.

I actually teared up a little bit at the party fight. Meanwhile, the alternative "hey let's make a new Dagda and bring back nearly everyone who died in the story so far including the girl who was left as a pile of blood last time you saw her" was terrible. It felt like all of the consequences from the entire rest of the game so far being undone, to the extent of not even really losing the alignment guy for the other path. It's already feeling TOO happy and perfect Couldn't Dagda have at least stayed dead, if no one else?

Okay actually I'll probably go for both endings if the last dungeon isn't as bad as I've heard :ohdear:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Einwand posted:

I don't remember that fight super well, but I went into it with a full partner assist built up, spent the first turn buffing and debuffing, then just smacked it in the face with a charged smirking mist rush&andalusia from Matador which pretty much skipped directly to its first talking turn. It pretty much only got one actual turn the entire fight.

The actual final boss was really good until the last phase started opening every turn with infinite power.
I managed to beat him but it basically came down to praying that he targeted my MC a bunch in the first phase. Once the second phase rolled around I was able to debuff him into oblivion, and then started doing so much damage he couldn't even move between the narrative taking away his turns and the Assist Gauge procing. But I'm still not sure what else would have helped for the first phase outside of blind luck.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

DLC: What did the Demifiend mean with his comment about the Prime Minister? Maybe it's just been a while but I don't remember the Prime Minister ever appearing, where as the other MCs made comments based on their own games. Weird.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

DLC: What did the Demifiend mean with his comment about the Prime Minister? Maybe it's just been a while but I don't remember the Prime Minister ever appearing, where as the other MCs made comments based on their own games. Weird.

Uhh....in the Japanese version he just talks about getting offed by Lucifer post-Kagutsuchi battle. Pretty sure he never mentioned anything about the Prime Minister.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Genpei Turtle posted:

Uhh....in the Japanese version he just talks about getting offed by Lucifer post-Kagutsuchi battle. Pretty sure he never mentioned anything about the Prime Minister.

In the US version he mentions that when you save him, but at the end when they're all going back to their home the protags all mention poo poo they gotta do referencing their respective endgames. And Demi-fiend's is that he's about to go have a showdown with Lucifer and that 'I'll stop anyone who gets in my way, even the Prime Minister' something along those lines. It stuck out to me as weird.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

In the US version he mentions that when you save him, but at the end when they're all going back to their home the protags all mention poo poo they gotta do referencing their respective endgames. And Demi-fiend's is that he's about to go have a showdown with Lucifer and that 'I'll stop anyone who gets in my way, even the Prime Minister' something along those lines. It stuck out to me as weird.

Huh, checking again I guess he does say that. The way it's phrased makes it seem like a generic "nothing will stop me" sort of comment so it didn't stick.

I don't think it's something to take literally, more like a figure of speech--maybe a slightly silly one.

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009
Maybe it's an over-localization of Ose (a President) being the demon Hikawa threw at Demi-Fiend to cover his escape the first chance he'd otherwise have gotten to punch his lights out?

Three-quarters of the way down here, for reference.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Overall I think this was definitely the best DLC of them all, really tough fight, fun fanservice, good way to end the game for me at least. Only complaint really is that they didn't have a unique battle track like IV did for Masakado. Ah well.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Andy Waltfeld posted:

Maybe it's an over-localization of Ose (a President) being the demon Hikawa threw at Demi-Fiend to cover his escape the first chance he'd otherwise have gotten to punch his lights out?

Three-quarters of the way down here, for reference.

Nah, the line in Japanese is like "nothing can stop me, not gods, not demons, not even the prime minister!" It's kind of a weird line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Genpei Turtle posted:

Nah, the line in Japanese is like "nothing can stop me, not gods, not demons, not even the prime minister!" It's kind of a weird line.
the Demi-Fiend is a weird kid. He's been through a lot.

• Locked thread