Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Genpei Turtle posted:

Nah, the line in Japanese is like "nothing can stop me, not gods, not demons, not even the prime minister!" It's kind of a weird line.

Hey man, in the space of like half an hour, the world ended, he got forcibly turned into a demon, all his friends went missing, and he picked a fight with a giant ray thingy. And it just got weirder from there!

He's got every right to be kind of weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Enough with the chit chat just wanna punch lucifer in the face.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Wait why are people saying this is the last DLC? The game's been out for less than a month and I was under the impression in Japan they stretched out the DLC over like, 3 months

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
The final dungeon feels really tacked-on. It seems like the game should have just ended after the previous dungeon, but instead your party's motivation for the final dungeon is basically "wanna go kill god i guess?" "sure lol". Can you recruit anything in there? I don't know how I'm going to get higher-level demons without my fusion fodder.

Also what the gently caress is a Misoka Moon

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Wait why are people saying this is the last DLC? The game's been out for less than a month and I was under the impression in Japan they stretched out the DLC over like, 3 months

All of the DLC has been visible on the storepage since the game came out, with them just flagging it as purchasable

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

All of the DLC has been visible on the storepage since the game came out, with them just flagging it as purchasable

I actually haven't checked that page at all past redeeming the free launch stuff oops

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

In Japan they only released like, three things a week, whereas it looks like they released six or seven a week here?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Also what the gently caress is a Misoka Moon

The very last day of a month is misoka, whether it's the 30th or 31st (or earlier if it's February). Presumably that, but for a lunar month.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Oh hey I didn't know we had a thread for this :toot: though I probably shouldn't say much considering I shamelessly abuse the Levels/Macca/Jewels/Ect DLC and just beat the game for the first time last night. I enjoy the search function of the fusing app in this game and IV but god drat is it frustrating sometimes. Right now I'm trying to figure out how the gently caress to fuse Belial. Yes, I have him unlocked for fusing.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Oh hey I didn't know we had a thread for this :toot: though I probably shouldn't say much considering I shamelessly abuse the Levels/Macca/Jewels/Ect DLC and just beat the game for the first time last night. I enjoy the search function of the fusing app in this game and IV but god drat is it frustrating sometimes. Right now I'm trying to figure out how the gently caress to fuse Belial. Yes, I have him unlocked for fusing.

If there are greyed out demons that you don't know the names of as ingredients for fusing Belial, they'll still show you the Race and Level. So go the Search, tick 'Include Compendium', and enter the race and level parameters.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

So he is supposed to be a Special Fusion? Given how they switched some demons into it and out of it (Huang Long and Norns :argh:), I have no idea who to expect in it anymore.

And he's not showing up in my Special Fusion list, I'd recognize his outline anywhere :psyduck: But I beat the game and have the one he's a fusion ingredient for unlocked, so I have to have Belial unlocked. Right?

E: Always keep your Clear file in a separate slot so you can double check poo poo like this, kids!

E2: Whew. Yes, I do have him unlocked to fuse :v: He just wasn't showing up in the Special Fusions list because I didn't have any of the three Demons needed to make him.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 13, 2016

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I had the Moirae sisters for the longest time clogging my stock thinking I can fuse them into Norn. It turns out she's a loving random encounter that you can recruit this time.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

E2: Whew. Yes, I do have him unlocked to fuse :v: He just wasn't showing up in the Special Fusions list because I didn't have any of the three Demons needed to make him.

You want a Dominion, an Orias, and an Inferno, IIRC.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Yeah, it's the exact same recipe for him in Apoc as it is in IV. :downs: Why I thought it would be different, I have no idea. And he wasn't showing up at all in my Special Fusions list because I didn't have any of the three, somehow, despite having already completed the game once.

Marogareh posted:

I had the Moirae sisters for the longest time clogging my stock thinking I can fuse them into Norn. It turns out she's a loving random encounter that you can recruit this time.
I did the exact same thing. :argh:

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Haha, yeah I did, too.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Finished the game last night. Overall I'd say the balance changes from SMTIV to Apocalypse are loving fantastic--skill affinities are cool, the partner and smirk systems are both great, and MP costs rising alongside items being depowered was overall a pretty nice move. My main problem with the game though is twofold: first, the final dungeon is extremely tacked-on, and second, starting from 7/8 moon, all of the bosses just started leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Pretty much every boss from 7/8 moon on can do one or more of the following:

1) Use an elemental attack that just ignores all resistances, Drain, and Repel because they just loving say so. If that was a smirk-exclusive thing I'd be more okay with it, but I spent the latter half of the game meticulously passing on Null Ice, Drain Force, etc to my demons, and having the game go "lol doesn't count" to a thing I'm using up precious skill slots for is really frustrating.
2) Refuse to attack anyone in a way that will cause them to lose press turns. This is especially annoying because it's clear the devs did think about this. Mid-game bosses do cool poo poo like use Tetrabreak or "learn" not to use magic attacks against Makarakarn after a few reflects to ensure you can't just cheese the entire fight. But come into a late-game fight with a demon that nulls Force and the boss will literally never target them with a Force attack (unless it's one of those bullshit skills that pierce, in which case see 1). Why even bother with resists then?
3) Basically just ignore buffs and debuffs due to narrative poo poo or bullshit skills. Dekaja and Dekunda? That's cool. "gently caress your debuffs, I'm +3/+3/+3/+3 and smirking now just cuz"? gently caress that poo poo.
4) Use an incredibly powerful Almighty attack at will, with no telegraphing, that is a guaranteed wipe if they happen to be smirking. There's no strategy; either your numbers are big enough or you die.

All of these are of course epitomized by the final boss who does all four of these things. By the end of the game it felt like my skills and resistances didn't matter, just the size of my numbers. And the last thing I want from an SMT game is (outside of optional superbosses) having to grind up numbers. I'm not saying we should go back to Nocturne-style idiot bosses who blow every one of their turns on attacks that just get Repelled, but I feel like I should be able to win by picking the right demons and skills for the job, not by having to grind. And if you're going to force me to grind up better demons, at least let me recruit some fusion fodder in the final dungeon, you assholes. :argh:

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
Is spirit drain nerfed compared to its incarnation in 4? I finally got a Baphomet with it but I'm only able to drain about 10-15 MP at most.

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012
After continuing to fail against Satan, I decided to go fight the DLC bosses. I got a whole team with Repel Dark to fight Mephistopheles...and then learned he has innate Pierce. :negative:

Fossilized Rappy fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 14, 2016

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Actually he has standard Dark Pierce as a passive skill.

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Actually he has standard Dark Pierce as a passive skill.
That's what I had meant, sorry. I'm guessing Cleopatra has Light Pierce as well, to prevent abuse in the same way?

EDIT: Oh hey, the Megami Tensei Wiki has Apocalypse stats up now, it didn't last time I checked. Seems my guess was right.

Any tips from people who have beaten these two on the best methods of fighting them, then?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Would Tetraja block pierce?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Solarflare posted:

Is spirit drain nerfed compared to its incarnation in 4? I finally got a Baphomet with it but I'm only able to drain about 10-15 MP at most.

It scales slower so it isn't as absurdly broken but if you stick it on a magic-using protagonist they'll be refilling all their health and most of their mana every time they use it.

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

Fossilized Rappy posted:

That's what I had meant, sorry. I'm guessing Cleopatra has Light Pierce as well, to prevent abuse in the same way?

EDIT: Oh hey, the Megami Tensei Wiki has Apocalypse stats up now, it didn't last time I checked. Seems my guess was right.

Any tips from people who have beaten these two on the best methods of fighting them, then?

Cleopatra, oddly enough, does not have Light Pierce when you fight her. She does have it if you fuse her. She has some other fun tricks up her sleeve though. I beat Mephisto by using Cleopatra because she's just that strong.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Pierce is the god-passive of this game and overrides all defensive skills. Hence why it's so difficult to get on your demons.

For me Mephisto boiled down to a damage race where I kept blasting him with Judgement Light while trying to keep my team healthy. If you have Krishna + someone with Fog Breath/War Cry to knock him down to -3 very quickly he's manageable.

Cleopatra is deadly not because of Light Pierce (actually I'm pretty sure she doesn't even have it for the fight for some reason) but because her MAG stat is absurdly powerful and she can instantly debuff a target to -3 def. She managed to kill my Demiurge straight through his resisted elements because she just hits that hard.

You need Dekunda and ways to lower her ATK up at all times. Also you should roll in with a wide variety of elements to hit her with because she has a skill that allows her to change her weakness every time she gets hit with it.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 14, 2016

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

It scales slower so it isn't as absurdly broken but if you stick it on a magic-using protagonist they'll be refilling all their health and most of their mana every time they use it.

It does scale with mag? I might need to throw some points into it then just so I can keep my mana up while physical attacking.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Wait, so Repel no longer stops Pierce? That changes a few plans of mine...

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Wait, so Repel no longer stops Pierce? That changes a few plans of mine...
That's why I had originally thought Mephistopheles/Mephisto had some unique variant of Pierce before I looked it up. The last SMT game I played before Apocalypse was Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker, and I was running on its logic as far as things like Pierce worked.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't remember any other game where pierce goes through repel.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Goddamn Cleo is a hard boss fight. It looks like the strategy is: bring Mudo, null Zan and Hama, Debilitate over and over?

edit: For the grinding DLC (specifically Macca), is it worth it to trade with Mitama instead of outright killing them? Or is there no real advantage to trade-grinding them?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 16, 2016

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Before you can easily kill them, trading is probably better. Otherwise killing's just going to be faster.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm way past the point where I can easily kill them. I just mow 'em down at this point.

Cleo is pretty good, but I don't know what to put on her aside from what she's already got...I might have to do some fusion and skill planning. Whoopee my favorite :dance:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I...
I had no idea you could Trade with the Mitama :sweatdrop: I always went straight to trying to murder them. I don't use Talk options other than the Recruit one very much.

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

I'm way past the point where I can easily kill them. I just mow 'em down at this point.

Cleo is pretty good, but I don't know what to put on her aside from what she's already got...I might have to do some fusion and skill planning. Whoopee my favorite :dance:

High Light Pleroma and Concentrate are really all she needs.

stayfrostycc
Jul 30, 2008

XainZero posted:

High Light Pleroma and Concentrate are really all she needs.

Light Pleroma stacks with High Light Pleroma for even more shenanigans. The second DLC demon is even better for damage doing this with Dark Pleroma.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I wandered into Twisted Tokyo while doing a sidequest next to it and fought David and got kicked out for taking too long. He wasn't really hard, just it felt like I wasn't making a dent into him at all. At least Izanami does more than 1k with her lightning attack.

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012
Beat the two DLC demon fights last night, and the final boss a few minutes ago. I had a ton of fun, I'll probably eventually try to go beat the Fiend dungeon in a New Game+ playthrough sooner or later, and with any luck Atlus will keep the lessons they learned from SMT IV and IVA whenever they do the next MegaTen game that isn't Persona-related.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Is there any central resource for this game? Everything turns up SMT4 info and it's really annoying

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Is there any central resource for this game? Everything turns up SMT4 info and it's really annoying

This has all the demons and their stuff listed, along with all the skills and what demons can learn them. Dunno about anything else.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Saagonsa posted:

This has all the demons and their stuff listed, along with all the skills and what demons can learn them. Dunno about anything else.

Thank you, this helps a lot. I'm approaching the 90s and have no idea what I can actually fuse, since most of the stuff at that level seems to be fusions you have to unlock through killing them. I see I can fuse Matador for example although I dunno if I can beat him at 84 yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Does beating Matador still give the awesome earring like in IV? I somehow completely missed Twisted Tokyo and the Fiends :saddowns: I've missed on a lot of things, looks like. In my defence I was really, really excited to get to stab YHVH in the face so i might've rushed into the endgame somewhat.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Oct 16, 2016

• Locked thread