Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Holy poo poo the quality of life improvements in this game are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

I found and took a peek at the map for the game's final dungeon.

:stare:

Not gonna lie, the final dungeon sucks pretty hard. As teleport mazes go it's actually pretty tame and fairly easy to reach the end, but it's way too big and downright painful if you're trying to get all the loot.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Genpei did you play it after they patched it? I remember the patch listing mentioning it rebalanced the final dungeon, but I've never seen confirmation on what it specifically (except letting auto pinpoint work there.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Somewhat random question but what's the deal with Alice as a aside? After playing all these games I'm kind of curious if she's just a big favorite over there or what as she always seems insanely strong with her own move and strikes me as out of place next to deities and the like.

It started out as a "Haha wouldn't it be funny if the little girl from the first game was like, a super powerful secret boss?" and it kind of snowballed from there and now it's just, like, half-tradition and half-the current state of the otaku market.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 22, 2016

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

Genpei did you play it after they patched it? I remember the patch listing mentioning it rebalanced the final dungeon, but I've never seen confirmation on what it specifically (except letting auto pinpoint work there.

Yeah I did. The main thing they did was add a bunch of checkpoints you could teleport to. I think pre-patch there was only like one checkpoint per level, and they added a bunch more. It helps a lot, but it didn't really address the main problem that it's basically a whole lot of vast empty spaces so it takes you forever to run from point A to point B. The design makes a lot of sense thematically but is annoying from a gameplay perspective.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

TurnipFritter posted:

It started out as a "Haha wouldn't it be funny if the little girl from the first game was like, a super powerful secret boss?" and it kind of snowballed from there and now it's just, like, half-tradition and half-the current state of the otaku market.

Actually it hasn't changed from it being an Easter Egg about the first game, that's pretty much the opposite of snowballing. Also I doubt otaku are related at all.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Pureauthor posted:

I found and took a peek at the map for the game's final dungeon.

:stare:

Nothing can phase me after the hell that was Eridanus.

Unless you're saying it's worse...

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Deified Data posted:

Nothing can phase me after the hell that was Eridanus.

Unless you're saying it's worse...

Strange Journey was phenomenal but Eridanus was some Wizardry 4 bullshit

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Eridanus loving owned and I still have nightmares about it

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Is the YHVH bleeping some Metal Gear Solid 2 stuff or just censorship?

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Is there anything other than smirking that determines whether Hama/Mudo insta-kill? I've been using applicable skills while smirked that still don't insta-kill, though smirk + weakness seems to always insta-kill.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I've never played a game that tries this hard to make you feel like a side character. Dagda keeps going "no man you're totally the MC" but I'm starting to think that's the trick a god is playing on me I was warned about.

I farted on the lava snake and now Demons and Angels are ceasefiring to go snake hunting and I'm being told to just go get lost in a fairy forest to find treasure.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Is it just me or are horde enemies a lot more frequent/dangerous than in SMT4?
The ones in Kanda-no-yashiro frequently force me to fight duplicates of them multiple times in a row.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Einwand posted:

Is it just me or are horde enemies a lot more frequent/dangerous than in SMT4?
The ones in Kanda-no-yashiro frequently force me to fight duplicates of them multiple times in a row.
it's great because they're such dumb harmless EXP farms

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009
Can confirm; even slightly undergunned on War I could go through three straight Oni Hordes with minimal casualties just from continually sticking ailments.

Testament #38 to Navarre's greatness: he burns the Assist Action throwing ailment items at things that are susceptible so you don't have to waste Press Turns throwing them at things that aren't.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Strength is still viable in this right?

It better be because I already raised it to 30. In my experience it's always been a slow starter but an end-game nuke.

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013
So just from the looks of it, I'm guessing there are three main stats to focus around depending on flavor of attack. For a newcomer to SMT what's the easiest build to work with? I already started going STR since I gathered STR > Physical attacks, DEX > Gun attacks, and MAG > Magic attacks, but while I like the idea of having lots of magic to go weakness hunting with isn't SP generally a pretty limited resource?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The app that makes you gain SP while walking takes the sting out of MAG builds. Honestly even going phys I typically stick one or two spells on my list just for easy smirking so my phys skills crit for a ton.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

^^That's right, it was an app.

As I recall there are some abilities that will give you a SP back after each fight.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

admittedly maybe the costs aren't as high but physical and gun skills take MP too

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Inverted Sphere posted:

So just from the looks of it, I'm guessing there are three main stats to focus around depending on flavor of attack. For a newcomer to SMT what's the easiest build to work with? I already started going STR since I gathered STR > Physical attacks, DEX > Gun attacks, and MAG > Magic attacks, but while I like the idea of having lots of magic to go weakness hunting with isn't SP generally a pretty limited resource?

IMO it's probably a high-mag build with elemental coverage. It comes out of the box all ready to exploit the press turn system.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Deified Data posted:

IMO it's probably a high-mag build with elemental coverage. It comes out of the box all ready to exploit the press turn system.

I hear say that late in the game the protagonist gets some sort of free Physical Pierce which makes STR builds ridiculous. But apparently until then it's the hardest of the three damage stats.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Sukuna-Hikona doesn't gently caress around.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

I hear say that late in the game the protagonist gets some sort of free Physical Pierce which makes STR builds ridiculous. But apparently until then it's the hardest of the three damage stats.

Actually it's not a free Physical Pierce. It's even better--it's a free everything Pierce.

ed: does not apply to scrubs on the Law or Chaos paths

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 22, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

well, Medusa's return was significantly less impressive than her first go around.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I read her entire fight as an extended joke about how she's properly drawn now.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm still pretty early on (level 17) but my damage output hasn't been incredible with a strength build yet. I just grabbed three levels of Fusion Booster and made some higher level demons though, so I'm thinking that'll carry me until I find some better weapons and skills.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The only IV design that really bothered me was this guy:

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Str so far has been ok but nothing special until I finally got charge into the mix. I'm currently level 32 with 80 str and heatwave does about 200+ damage and 300+ on crit with charge.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Marogareh posted:

Str so far has been ok but nothing special until I finally got charge into the mix. I'm currently level 32 with 80 str and heatwave does about 200+ damage and 300+ on crit with charge.

I really need to prioritize grabbing a Momonofu soon...

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
When do the Skill Expansion and Demon Skill app levels 2 and up become available? Five skill slots on everything is way too few.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Level based I believed.

At levels 25, 50, 75

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Before I dive into Apocalypse I wanna finish the IV DLC, but I'M stuck at the Ancient of Days. Any tips/tricks/simple FAQ for the DLC bosses?

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Before I dive into Apocalypse I wanna finish the IV DLC, but I'M stuck at the Ancient of Days. Any tips/tricks/simple FAQ for the DLC bosses?

I think I remember beating Ancient of Days by using one of the Archangels abilities that prevent it from healing and than spammed its weaknesses. I can't remember how I beat Sanat but I was able to beat Masakados by giving Uriel as many physical amplifier skills I could along with pierce and kept spamming Kannuki-Throw along with support from other demons. With Masakados it might take a couple of tries but after a couple you should land enough hits to kill him

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Anyone know what the level 16 Flight demon is for the level 34 Special Fusion? Or an easy combo to get it?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Anyone know what the level 16 Flight demon is for the level 34 Special Fusion? Or an easy combo to get it?

Just use the super duper handy compendium search. Expand it fully to include compendium in fusion, and search for Flight-type demons. If it's at all possible to fuse it with anything you've ever had, it'll show up.

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

Honest Thief posted:

Is the YHVH bleeping some Metal Gear Solid 2 stuff or just censorship?
It happens with the Japanese version too, since in Hebrew lore, it was forbidden to pronounce YHVH except for a certain few afaik.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Gu Huo Niao. Should be pretty easy to fuse.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Assuming that the demon is smirking, can expel/death attacks still instakill the bosses that don't nullify them?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

what am i missing with the first godslayer training. maybe im just dumb but i cant do this at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Cake Attack posted:

what am i missing with the first godslayer training. maybe im just dumb but i cant do this at all

You just need to survive. Even one person surviving is enough.

• Locked thread