Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Seiyal posted:

Those are all very nice choices but give ReLife a whirl. Ended up watching all 13 in one weekend and rather enjoyed it.

As for me, I've got a rather eclectic mix (aha, not really) that I've either only just started or left for far too long, so please help me clean up my queue.

G Gundam
Nagi no Asukara
Non Non Biyori
Flying Witch
New Game
I'm not too familiar with New Game, Non No Biyori, or Nagi no Asukara. But between Flying with of G Gundam, both of which are great shows, I would suggest Flying Witch since your list seems to be mostly slice of life.

Here's my list.
  • Selector Infected Wixoss
  • DurararaX2
  • Serial Experiment Lain
  • Higurashi When they Cry
  • Wizard Barristers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirty-Five Minutes
Aug 12, 2007
not a republic serial villain
Trip Report: Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 1-13

I had to pause before watching Episode 12 because I knew everything would be terrible. And wow. No wonder it's called Lover's Suicide Through Rakugo. Anyway, one part of my backlog is complete! I liked this show a lot, and can't wait to watch the second season--the voice acting for the rakugo was great, and I liked seeing how Bon/Kikuhiko/Yakumo changed over time to become who he was in Episode 1.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I seem to have dropped Turn-A Gundam for what are probably the same reasons I dropped it before. I really cannot stand Loran. He just comes off as so drat bland and indecisive, yet the show keeps trying to frame him as some sort of super-cool interesting badass, and it really doesn't do it for me. In fact, all of the characters seem boring and stupid in ways that are just obnoxious to me and ruin what seems like a plot that is at least somewhat interesting. I may go back to it at some point, but that point is not now.

Well, with that gone,

Brought To You By posted:

Here's my list.
  • Selector Infected Wixoss
  • DurararaX2
  • Serial Experiment Lain
  • Higurashi When they Cry
  • Wizard Barristers

DurararaX2 is the only one there that I've seen that I can in good conscience tell you to watch.

1. Gatchaman Crowds
2. Seto no Hanayome
3. Perfect Blue
4. Non Non Biyori
5. Servant X Service

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

AnoHito posted:

I seem to have dropped Turn-A Gundam for what are probably the same reasons I dropped it before. I really cannot stand Loran. He just comes off as so drat bland and indecisive, yet the show keeps trying to frame him as some sort of super-cool interesting badass, and it really doesn't do it for me. In fact, all of the characters seem boring and stupid in ways that are just obnoxious to me and ruin what seems like a plot that is at least somewhat interesting. I may go back to it at some point, but that point is not now.

Well, with that gone,[/b]

I haven't seen the show in a while, like 10+ years, but there is a pretty hard chunk of episodes that just suck early on, that lead to a fantastic conclusion. Where are you episode wise?

I never got that they were trying to push Loran as a badass, but that may just be from coming off of Wing at the time. It seemed more that they were trying to frame him as competent, and the only one on Earth who knows how to use the Turn A. I'm assuming you haven't met Laura Rola yet?

quote:

1. Gatchaman Crowds
2. Seto no Hanayome
3. Perfect Blue
4. Non Non Biyori
5. Servant X Service

If Perfect Blue is the movie by Satoshi Kon, you should definitely watch that.

1) Space Dandy Season 2
2) Madoka Magica
3) Kill la Kill
4) Haibane Ranmei
5) Wild Card (pick the series you think is the best from the last 10 years)

Anora fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 15, 2016

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Anora posted:

4) Haibane Ranmei

I think you should watch Haibane Renmei because it's an amazing series with gorgeous art and music.

My current list:
  • DNAngel
  • G Gundam
  • Girlish Number
  • Gosick
  • Kimagure Orange Road
  • Nagi no Asukara
  • ReLife
  • Saint Tail
  • Scrapped Princess
  • Seto no Hanayome
  • Terra e
  • Toradora

I don't know what to watch first...

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm going to recommend Seto no Hanayome since I feel it doesn't get enough love, though Toradora's excellent too.

https://youtu.be/PVZSAeUbX1Q

Please pick one!

Punchline
Ping Pong
Comical Psychosomatic Medicine
Moyashimon
Mononoke

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

It took me a while because I was busy, but I got around to watching the first four eps of Seto no Hanayome, and it's good! Thank you. I'm going to keep watching.

Something about the art style and its comic faces reminds me of Excel Saga, although it's a different sort of show. It's a fun comedy. I like San and her fixation on chivalry. Nagasumi is a little dull, but someone had to be (relatively) the only sane man, and his voice actor was doing great work. I like that it's a romantic comedy where (so far) the female and male leads get along fairly well and don't seem to have annoying long-running misunderstandings the way that other series sometimes do.

My favourite gags so far would be the ones about Masa, and San freaking out when she found out Mawari was from a police family. My least favourite thing would be Maki, since the jokes are getting old, so I hope the series has something more in store for her somehow. And the opening sequence song is now stuck in my head.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

maki kinda disappears after a while, only popping up every few episodes after that so don't worry. and you haven't even met the best girls(and guys) yet

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm reviving this thread!!!!

Julias, you are going to watch punchline.

I'm gonna post a mix of things that I started and put on hold but it was so long ago I'd need to restart, and things I never watched yet.

1. Non non byori s2
2. Toradora
3. Golden time
4. Yuri Yuna is a hero
5. Flying witch

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I will recommend you pick up Toradora again.

Anyway for my backlog there is
Haikyuu
Samurai Champloo
The Heroic Legend of Arslan
Psycho-Pass
No Game No Life

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

I will recommend you pick up Toradora again.

Anyway for my backlog there is
Haikyuu
Samurai Champloo
The Heroic Legend of Arslan
Psycho-Pass
No Game No Life

You should watch Samurai Champloo now, imo.

Stuff from my backlog:
Sound Eupho (season 1)
Majestic Prince
Mob Psycho 100
Yona of the Dawn
Gintama

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

A Tin Of Beans posted:

You should watch Samurai Champloo now, imo.

Stuff from my backlog:
Sound Eupho (season 1)
Majestic Prince
Mob Psycho 100
Yona of the Dawn
Gintama

Yona is good and you should watch it.

Here's my list of all-time classics or whatever that I probably should have watched by now:

Ghost In the Shell
Cowboy Bebop
Patlabor
Paranoia Agent
Some sort of Gundam I guess, whichever's a good first one

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Stanfield posted:

Yona is good and you should watch it.

Here's my list of all-time classics or whatever that I probably should have watched by now:

Ghost In the Shell
Cowboy Bebop
Patlabor
Paranoia Agent

Patlabor is my favorite anime so do that one.

There's a bunch of stuff i've been halfheartedly intending on starting so pick one for me:

Majestic Prince
FMP Fumoffu
Magic of Stella
Re: Cutie Honey
Durarara after season 1 (which i have seen)

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Droyer posted:

Patlabor is my favorite anime so do that one.

There's a bunch of stuff i've been halfheartedly intending on starting so pick one for me:

Majestic Prince
FMP Fumoffu
Magic of Stella
Re: Cutie Honey
Durarara after season 1 (which i have seen)

Revenge hit since I'm still watching Conrevo at your insistence (it's good) and need to pick something after I'm done with that anyway

Durarara is real good and gets better as I told you

Fate/Stay Night (UBW)
Love Live
Space Patrol Luluco
Steins;Gate (the dub tho)
Cute High Earth Defense Club Love (season 2)

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Xinder posted:

Revenge hit since I'm still watching Conrevo at your insistence (it's good) and need to pick something after I'm done with that anyway

Durarara is real good and gets better as I told you

Fate/Stay Night (UBW)
Love Live
Space Patrol Luluco
Steins;Gate (the dub tho)
Cute High Earth Defense Club Love (season 2)

Watch Cute High Earth Defense Club Love, there are cute boys in it

Mononoke
Kaiba
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Shinsekai Yori
Yu Yu Hakusho

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

Nina posted:

Watch Cute High Earth Defense Club Love, there are cute boys in it

Mononoke
Kaiba
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Shinsekai Yori
Yu Yu Hakusho

Utena, symbolism everywere.

Cute girls doing action-y things backlog:
Strike Witches
Girls und Panzer
High School Fleet
New Cutie Honey & Re: Cutie Honey
Pandora in the Crimson Shell: Ghost Urn

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

no go on Quiznos posted:

Utena, symbolism everywere.

Cute girls doing action-y things backlog:
Strike Witches
Girls und Panzer
High School Fleet
New Cutie Honey & Re: Cutie Honey
Pandora in the Crimson Shell: Ghost Urn

Re: Cutie Honey and the other thing I guess. Have fun!

Le Chevalier D'eon
Digimon Adventure
Natsume Yujinchou
Monogatari Second Season

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Utena is my new favourite. Between the gay girls and constant anime songs with lyrics that make zero sense at all this is right up my alley. It's just cheesy enough but also legitimately cool.

Gonna be finishing this.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Good. Utena is the best anime.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Utena is my favourite anime ever, so I'm always glad to see a new person get into it.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Le Chevalier D'eon
Digimon Adventure
Natsume Yujinchou
Monogatari Second Season

I'm going to suggest you watch Le Chevalier D'eon out of those. It's not the best anime on that list, in my opinion, but it is weird, and I think it should be tried.

This thread's looking quiet, but I just finished watching all of Seto no Hanayome because of the recommendation I got here earlier, and I loved it. It took a bunch of eps (maybe up to ep 8?) before I got to adore it as opposed to just liking it. I don't know if it's that I got used to the series or if it's that it hit its stride. Maybe it was a bit of both? After a comedy series has built up its cast, that sometimes gives it more space. My favourite episode was probably ep 20, and San and Lunar's dads trying to relate to them by learning from dating sims slew me.

Anyway, now I've seen all of that series I'm back to not knowing what to watch next. Which of these should I go for?

DNAngel
Galaxy Express 999
G Gundam
Girlish Number
Gosick
Kaiba
Kimagure Orange Road
Nagi no Asukara
ReLife
Saint Tail
Scrapped Princess
Terra e
Toradora

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Toradora

I've watched a couple of episodes of Punchline, but I'm not really feeling it. People do tell me it has a good payoff, so I'll probably just watch an episode here and there when I've got time to spare for it.

Playing catchup is fun:
°Sabagebu
°Flip Flappers
°Ping Pong the Animation
°Yuruyuri
°Nyarko-san

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Van Dine posted:

I'm going to suggest you watch Le Chevalier D'eon out of those. It's not the best anime on that list, in my opinion, but it is weird, and I think it should be tried.

This thread's looking quiet, but I just finished watching all of Seto no Hanayome because of the recommendation I got here earlier, and I loved it. It took a bunch of eps (maybe up to ep 8?) before I got to adore it as opposed to just liking it. I don't know if it's that I got used to the series or if it's that it hit its stride. Maybe it was a bit of both? After a comedy series has built up its cast, that sometimes gives it more space. My favourite episode was probably ep 20, and San and Lunar's dads trying to relate to them by learning from dating sims slew me.

Anyway, now I've seen all of that series I'm back to not knowing what to watch next. Which of these should I go for?

DNAngel
Galaxy Express 999
G Gundam
Girlish Number
Gosick
Kaiba
Kimagure Orange Road
Nagi no Asukara
ReLife
Saint Tail
Scrapped Princess
Terra e
Toradora

if you haven't seen it, theres an ova followup to seto no hanayome too

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Davincie posted:

if you haven't seen it, theres an ova followup to seto no hanayome too

poo poo what? First I heard of that. Need to get on that.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Been watching Samurai Champloo and all I can think about is that while good I enjoyed Bebop more.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Van Dine posted:

Hey, thanks - I thought the thread had died on me.

I actually did sit and watch the first episode of Le Chevalier D'eon about a month ago, and really liked it! A beautiful historical drama with interesting supernatural elements - and I'd like to return and finish it, but I also admitted to myself that I wasn't in the mood for a full historical drama, so I put it down. I'll see how the second episode stands tonight, though, so thank you!

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

Watched some Patlabor, thought it was pretty good. I don't feel the need to immediately binge the rest but I'll probably go back to it at some point.

Julias posted:

Toradora

I've watched a couple of episodes of Punchline, but I'm not really feeling it. People do tell me it has a good payoff, so I'll probably just watch an episode here and there when I've got time to spare for it.

Playing catchup is fun:
°Sabagebu
°Flip Flappers
°Ping Pong the Animation
°Yuruyuri
°Nyarko-san

I've only seen two of these so I'm gonna give you Flip Flappers cause why not?

Here's my list:

Ghost In the Shell
Cowboy Bebop
Paranoia Agent
Haruhi

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Stanfield posted:

Watched some Patlabor, thought it was pretty good. I don't feel the need to immediately binge the rest but I'll probably go back to it at some point.

Just out of interest, can I ask which Patlabor you watched?

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

The OVAs. Seemed to be what people recommend to start with.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Patlabor's not my favorite like it is Droyer's, but it is quite good. OVAs are probably the best place to start, yeah, and I'd say it's a good show to watch intermittently, as you feel like it.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I'm up to episode 8 of Toradora now. I started off the series thinking it was OK but not really my sort of thing. The characters were on the annoying side, and it was a bit dull. I was still planning to watch it all the way through, though. But, luckily, the cast started growing on me, and I've begun finding it funny at times too. I've got to like Taiga and Kushieda. Kawashima has an interesting personality (and is irritating, but that's the point). Ryuuji is OK as a main character. The only thing is that Taiga has been so violent that I don't know why Ryuuji puts up with her. So, now I'm finding the series fun, and I hope it'll continue to improve. I was enjoying Ryuuji and Taiga's friendship, but at this point it seems fairly clear that Taiga's fallen or is in the process of falling for Ryuuji, so that's going to change eventually. But those two were obviously going to become a couple eventually anyway, and I like that they actually talk to each other, so it could be pretty cute anyway. Anyway, Ryuuji would be a great match for Taiga. He cooks, he cleans, he alters clothing, he doesn't get very angry!

I thought the series started showing good comedy potential at the point where we find out that Kitamura actually confessed to Taiga at an earlier time, only she wasn't into him then.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I've watched the first 6 episodes of Cute High s2 now and I'm really enjoying it. It's very much a junk food show that I would have trouble recommending to others, but it's a lot of fun to just chill out and watch some. I'm watching it with someone else though so I'm going to need another show to watch solo now that I'm caught up on Venture Bros again.

Stanfield posted:

I've only seen two of these so I'm gonna give you Flip Flappers cause why not?

Here's my list:

Ghost In the Shell
Cowboy Bebop
Paranoia Agent
Haruhi

That's all really good stuff, but I'm gonna go with the most obvious one and say Cowboy Bebop. It gets maybe a bit overhyped but there's a reason so many people love it, so at least give it a shot.

Fate/Stay Night (Unlimited Blade Works)
Kuromukuro
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Love Live
Space Patrol Luluco

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Xinder posted:

Fate/Stay Night (Unlimited Blade Works)
Kuromukuro
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Love Live
Space Patrol Luluco

Hey you watch Utena

Penguindrum
Mushishi
Mononoke
Gankutsuou
Shinsekai Yori

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
oh good, I was asleep for it, but someone was on the ball to tell someone else to watch Utena

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
yeah i'm gonna watch this dub i'm sure it's quality

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Just got around to watching Perfect Blue. Oh god that sure was something. The directing was some of the best I've seen in the medium, and there were a lot of things that connected together really well throughout the show like the drama she's acting in reflecting a lot of her own thoughts/her career path, and I particularly like that the ending was really well set up. I'm also glad that at the end of all that suffering, it managed to have a mostly happy ending :unsmith: After seeing this, Paranoia Agent, and Tokyo Godfathers, I'm starting to think Satoshi Kon might be really good.

Anyway,

Nina posted:

Hey you watch Utena

Penguindrum
Mushishi
Mononoke
Gankutsuou
Shinsekai Yori

If you're going to tell someone to watch Utena, you'd best be ready to watch Penguindrum

1. Gatchaman Crowds
2. Seto no Hanayome
3. Gunbuster
4. Non Non Biyori
5. Servant X Service

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I finally got around to watching The Tatami Galaxy. I marathon'd it with a friend and what a great trip that was.

I got some pretty severe Endless Eight flashbacks at first, but this show handles the repetition of a timeline so drat well that I pretty much had a smile on my face for four and a half hours straight. The way everything comes together at the end is wonderful, like one of those really long jokes that keeps adding parts until it builds to a punchline. The trippy animation style is great; it helps the entire work feel very dreamlike in addition to just being pretty as hell. Besides the awesome smaller characters, I like Ozu the best. He's set up to be a villian more and more throughout, until the protagonist finally realizes that he's actually been the bestest of bros all along.

Yuasa is a genius, I loved it.

Edit - dammit AnoHito!

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Mentat Radnor posted:

I finally got around to watching The Tatami Galaxy. I marathon'd it with a friend and what a great trip that was.

I got some pretty severe Endless Eight flashbacks at first, but this show handles the repetition of a timeline so drat well that I pretty much had a smile on my face for four and a half hours straight. The way everything comes together at the end is wonderful, like one of those really long jokes that keeps adding parts until it builds to a punchline. The trippy animation style is great; it helps the entire work feel very dreamlike in addition to just being pretty as hell. Besides the awesome smaller characters, I like Ozu the best. He's set up to be a villian more and more throughout, until the protagonist finally realizes that he's actually been the bestest of bros all along.

Yuasa is a genius, I loved it.

Edit - dammit AnoHito!

I love that show and I am super excited for the new Yuasa stuff coming out this season.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I finished watching all the way through Toradora, and in conclusion, that series just was not to my taste. It was quite watchable, I liked it in its light-hearted comedy moments, the characters did grow on me, and I liked the family drama aspects, but I plain did not care about the characters' romances, and the characters got really over-wrought on that topic. I wanted to watch it all the way through anyway, since I kept hearing about this series being popular or a modern classic or some such, so it was worthwhile to finally see what the fuss was about first hand.

AnoHito posted:

1. Gatchaman Crowds
2. Seto no Hanayome
3. Gunbuster
4. Non Non Biyori
5. Servant X Service

I'm going to get you to watch Seto no Hanayome because I got told to watch it by this thread before, and I loved it. Brilliant crack comedy.

Now I need a new show to watch! My list:

G Gundam
Kimagure Orange Road
Koko wa Greenwood
Nagi no Asukara
ReLife
Saint Tail
Scrapped Princess
Silent Mobius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Van Dine posted:

G Gundam
Kimagure Orange Road
Koko wa Greenwood
Nagi no Asukara
ReLife
Saint Tail
Scrapped Princess
Silent Mobius

Watch Scrapped Princess! It's been awhile since I've seen it, but I remember liking it.

Help me to not be an indecisive gently caress and choose:

Fafner in the Azure
Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto
Denno Coil
Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water
Fantastic Children

• Locked thread