Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

HellCopter posted:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Cardcaptor Sakura (I'm up to episode 19, stalled months ago)
Space Patrol Luluco
Dennou Coil
Slayers

drat, these are all good, but please watch the classic 90's fantasy adventure/comedy Slayers!

My list of things that I feel bad about not having watched yet:

Yona of the Dawn
Natsume Yuujinchou
Giant Robo
Turn A Gundam
Ping Pong
The Tatami Galaxy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I finally got around to watching The Tatami Galaxy. I marathon'd it with a friend and what a great trip that was.

I got some pretty severe Endless Eight flashbacks at first, but this show handles the repetition of a timeline so drat well that I pretty much had a smile on my face for four and a half hours straight. The way everything comes together at the end is wonderful, like one of those really long jokes that keeps adding parts until it builds to a punchline. The trippy animation style is great; it helps the entire work feel very dreamlike in addition to just being pretty as hell. Besides the awesome smaller characters, I like Ozu the best. He's set up to be a villian more and more throughout, until the protagonist finally realizes that he's actually been the bestest of bros all along.

Yuasa is a genius, I loved it.

Edit - dammit AnoHito!

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

Prison School
Mob Psycho 100
My Hero Academia
Concrete Revolutio
Iron Blood Orphans (I've already watched several episodes, but stopped for a long time)

Please give Mob Psycho 100 a try!

My list is all mecha/sci-fi because all I've really seen of the genre is Patlabor, Eva, TTGL, and Escaflowne. Please help me remedy this tragic lack of robots and spaceships.

- Turn A Gundam
- Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
- Giant Robo
- Space Battleship Yamato (If you pick this one, tell me where to start! The 1977 movie and then on to the 1978 TV series, or is there a superior remake or something? Clueless)
- The Super Dimension Fortress Macross (1982)

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I finished all of Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (2012) in less than a week. It kicked rear end, and I'm not sure what else to say about it. I don't mind the CG when it's enabling epic space battle scenes, and those were well done. The pacing of the show got a bit hectic at times, like episode 15 specifically felt like it was trying to cram 40 minutes worth of story and intrigue into half that time and so it ended up being pretty drat confusing. Overall, the characters were great, voice acting was on point (the Captain giving orders :swoon:), I like that we got so much time from the antagonistic Gamillas perspective, and way less characters died than I expected! By 2/3 of the way through the series I thought I was seeing obvious death flags for people like Nimi left and right.

Nina posted:

As for me

Boueibu
Mushishi
Mononoke
Gankutsuou
Shinsekai Yori

While there's more than one good show here, my choice is still easy. Watch Mushishi.

My list:

- Turn A Gundam
- Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
- Giant Robo
- Bodacious Space Pirates

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Cool, thanks for the pick. My friend and I trade off making each other watch shows on Tuesday evenings and he's putting on Gundam 0083 for me next week. I'll have to watch 0080 before then (tonight we are finishing Hyouka).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I finished Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket a while ago and forgot to post about it. Really drat good! The writing and characters were an order of magnitude better than 0083, and it actually got me invested in the wellbeing of the colony.

Gosh what a tragic ending though! Bernie . . . :cry: It was a great anti-war story, and reminded me thematically of Now and Then, Here and There with respect to the main character being kinda robbed of their childhood and forced to grow up in a horrific way - seeing people they care about die a violent death in battle, due to the callous warmongering of others. The fact that Bernie's death was at the hands of someone who, in peaceful times, would have been their friend or even more just made his needless sacrifice more poignant. Al is a good kid, heeding Bernie's last wishes and not hating Chris. The last scene though, with Al's friends promising him the next war will be bigger and more awful while he cries for his lost friend . . . what a way to twist the knife, my goodness.

Overall I give it 9/10 (could have used more robot fights, but then again I can say that about every show), I see why this one is considered a classic and recommended so much.

Van Dine posted:

So here's my updated list:

Kaitou Saint Tail
Kimagure Orange Road
Koko wa Greenwood (OVA)
Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Mobile Police Patlabor (OVA)
Nagi no Asukara
Silent Möbius
Terra e
Video Girl Ai (OVA)

Please watch Mobile Police Patlabor (Early Days OVA).

My list now:

- Turn A Gundam
- Giant Robo
- Bodacious Space Pirates
- Mononoke
- Dirty Pair (TV, 1985)

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 3, 2017

• Locked thread