Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Lupin the 3rd because Lupin owns.

Prison School
Mob Psycho 100
My Hero Academia
Concrete Revolutio
Iron Blood Orphans (I've already watched several episodes, but stopped for a long time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Mentat Radnor posted:

Please give Mob Psycho 100 a try!

I got super bored today and ended up doing so before you posted, so I guess I'll put up another as my "what to catch up on next" list.

As for the previous poster, check out Ghost in the Shell: SAC. One of my absolute all time favorite shows. That said, Baccano is too, but with only one choice I say SAC.

Prison School
Gatchaman Crowds Insight
My Hero Academia
Concrete Revolutio
Iron Blood Orphans (I've already watched several episodes, but stopped for a long time)

edit: I ended up blitzing through Mob Psycho 100. It's definitely not OPM, but it never was to begin with. It has its own focus and sense of style, and sells it beautifully. Where this season ends is about where I stopped the manga, so I'm definitely hyped for a second season where I don't know what's coming.

Also can I just say that Reigen is the best? He's the best. He's also better in motion.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 31, 2017

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The Steins;Gate sub and dub should be on everyone's backlog's always, even if they've watched them already.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Xinder posted:

Gonna have to pass the buck with Concrete Revolutio because it's very good.

I got through episode 5 but it's just not working for me. I love its style but I'm not getting what it's core focus is. Episode 5 seemed like it was going to be a way to concretely established that, but it left things in an even messier situation. That whole thing with MegaGon was just a series of stupid ideas coming from all sides, as if to betray their own plans. It didn't make any sense. I had really high hopes after its opening episode too.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Since I've caught up with MHA and didn't like Concrete Revolutio, here's my new list:

Prison School
Vision of Escaflowne
Hibike! Euphonium season 2
Joke option: One Piece (I'm at episode 94 but stopped watching for a couple months now)

Kytrarewn posted:

Watch Punch Line. It's stupid, but gloriously so, and I expect you'll get around to Symphogear of your own accord sooner.

Texhnolyze
Baccano
Toradora
Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou
Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou

That's a hard decision, between Texhnolyze and Baccano!. They're like flip sides of a coin. I'm gonna say Baccano, but definitely check out Texhnolyze after.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Texhnolyze is fantastic and that there's no blu ray release is one of the great crimes of the 21st century.

It's a shame. Plenty of people know about Serial Experiments Lain, but I find Texhnolyze to be far more fascinating.

Kytrarewn posted:

Trip report for Baccano!. Finished all 13+3 episodes in a period of 3 days, so, clearly, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Characters were all larger-than-life, and it tied up a lot neater than I would have originally thought. I'm going to have to rewatch it in its entirety at some point, though I'm going to rewatch Episode 1 later tonight (as is my habit with a lot of these complex shows) to see what kind of stuff gets pushed through.

The problem that I had was that the show really was incomplete in its originally broadcast form, and I really only got a real sense of satisfaction after the three OVAs had completed. Granted, that shouldn't be taken as a flaw nowadays, but, especially in original broadcast form, I can't really see how Durarara is considered to be an inferior effort to the degree that it is.

Anyway, since it came up in Viggy's post, I will wind up watching and providing a report for Texhnolyze as well, but first I have to finish the second and third cours of durararax2, since this sort of put me in the mood for more of these sorts of clusterfucks.

Durarara doesn't share it's predecessor's brilliant narrative structure, but x2 it manages to perfectly refine its storytelling model into distilled narrative chaos. Have fun with it!

Just be warned that Texhnolyze is VERY different in tone.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Vision of Escaflowne it is!

Just letting you know that since you liked Scrapped Princess you will probably also like Hitsugi no Chaika, which is by the same author.

Also I've not heard of any of those shows but two...
Lastly, as a huge fan of the mystery genre, GoSick is a goddamn disgrace. I only watched a few episodes and in every single episode it just pulled poo poo out of its rear end to "solve" each mystery.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 13, 2017

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Nina posted:

Boueibu
Mushishi
Mononoke
Gankutsuou
Shinsekai Yori

:stare:

What a list. I envy you so much right now.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
8 minutes of some of the best visual storytelling in anime.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Mid-show report on Escaflowne.

It's pretty good so far. I like the presentation a lot. But I'm not totally on board. I don't see a clear goal for the story or the characters so far, so I really hope that the show starts to develop a more focused narrative.

Also, and this may just be a cultural clash between 90's Japan and modern America, but the show feels kind of sexist. The show very heavily emphasizes traditional gender roles in that a man's job is to fight and protect their women, and a women's job is to support and love them. I only mention it because the show seems very explicit in establishing that, and because there's not a single example to counter it. I'm not gonna decry the show because of it, but it has remained an itch in the back of my mind pretty much the entire time.

But I do like it overall. It has a great sense of style, between the presentation of Hitomi's visions and the varied cultural aesthetics between the different nations of Gaea.

Edit: Oh, did I mention this show has come loving incredible music? It has some loving incredible music.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 19, 2017

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Considering how old Escaflowne is, I don't really hold it against the show for being a bit behind the times.

I know, and it's pushed to the background a bit in the second half so far so it's not as big an issue now. I'll try not to hold that against it since it's due to age and culture, but it does bother me regardless.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
SO, just finished Escaflowne and here are my thoughts.

For all my complaints about its (possibly cultural) sexism, the show does end up subverting its sexism in a lot of ways. Definitely appreciated that. And as I said before, I love its sense of style and presentation, though I do wish we saw more of the other nations. The music continued to be excellent for the most part, which makes perfect sense now that I know Yoko Kanno co-composed it after looking it up.

But the central romance didn't really work for me. I like how it tied in to the thematic exploration of the show, but the romance itself felt kinda hamfisted. It didn't feel quite as earned as Eureka Seven, for example.

Still, great show, and I see why people hold it pretty high.

And with that, let me update my list:

Prison School
Noein
Gungrave
Hibike! Euphonium season 2
Joke option: One Piece (I'm at episode 94 but stopped watching for a couple months now)

Xinder posted:

alright let's go

- Love Live
- Space Patrol Luluco
- Steins;Gate (dub)
- Patlabor
- Initial D

Steins;Gate Dub, no contest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Knorth posted:

I think you should watch Euphonium S2 since I thought it was extremely good ...and it's the only one I know from that list :sweatdrop:

Well there's the motivation I need to finally go back and watch it. First season had great writing and direction, and the animators at KyoAni really put out their best stuff for this show. I don't doubt season 2 is more of that.

• Locked thread