Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Delicious sandwich posted:

I liked Scrapped Princess and haven't heard anyone talk about it for a long time so I'm going to make you watch that.

Ben-To
K-On!
Konosuba
No Game No Life
Punch Line

watch konosuba (don't forget, there's an ova!)

someone please choose me an anime, i need to load up my tablet for breaks at work tomorrow.

Xam'd
Bamboo Blade
Kachou Ouji
Moyashimon
Intrigue in the Bakumatsu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Mid-show report on Escaflowne.

It's pretty good so far. I like the presentation a lot. But I'm not totally on board. I don't see a clear goal for the story or the characters so far, so I really hope that the show starts to develop a more focused narrative.

Also, and this may just be a cultural clash between 90's Japan and modern America, but the show feels kind of sexist. The show very heavily emphasizes traditional gender roles in that a man's job is to fight and protect their women, and a women's job is to support and love them. I only mention it because the show seems very explicit in establishing that, and because there's not a single example to counter it. I'm not gonna decry the show because of it, but it has remained an itch in the back of my mind pretty much the entire time.

But I do like it overall. It has a great sense of style, between the presentation of Hitomi's visions and the varied cultural aesthetics between the different nations of Gaea.

Edit: Oh, did I mention this show has come loving incredible music? It has some loving incredible music.

i don't think the show is sexist so much as Gaea is your typical medieval fantasy setting with that level of sexism. your main female characters of Hitomi and Millerna both spurn aspects of traditional gender roles and contribute to the story's forward motion/the party's success, just in non-combat roles. the fact that they are non-combatants can be a sticking point, but then you're toeing another dimension of sexism so i'm honestly fine with where things ended up. and as you say, the show is two decades old, so you could account for things based on that.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Netflix's Tiger and Bunny censored all the logos from the super suits, fwiw

• Locked thread