Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Anora posted:

4) Haibane Ranmei

I think you should watch Haibane Renmei because it's an amazing series with gorgeous art and music.

My current list:
  • DNAngel
  • G Gundam
  • Girlish Number
  • Gosick
  • Kimagure Orange Road
  • Nagi no Asukara
  • ReLife
  • Saint Tail
  • Scrapped Princess
  • Seto no Hanayome
  • Terra e
  • Toradora

I don't know what to watch first...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

It took me a while because I was busy, but I got around to watching the first four eps of Seto no Hanayome, and it's good! Thank you. I'm going to keep watching.

Something about the art style and its comic faces reminds me of Excel Saga, although it's a different sort of show. It's a fun comedy. I like San and her fixation on chivalry. Nagasumi is a little dull, but someone had to be (relatively) the only sane man, and his voice actor was doing great work. I like that it's a romantic comedy where (so far) the female and male leads get along fairly well and don't seem to have annoying long-running misunderstandings the way that other series sometimes do.

My favourite gags so far would be the ones about Masa, and San freaking out when she found out Mawari was from a police family. My least favourite thing would be Maki, since the jokes are getting old, so I hope the series has something more in store for her somehow. And the opening sequence song is now stuck in my head.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Utena is my favourite anime ever, so I'm always glad to see a new person get into it.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Le Chevalier D'eon
Digimon Adventure
Natsume Yujinchou
Monogatari Second Season

I'm going to suggest you watch Le Chevalier D'eon out of those. It's not the best anime on that list, in my opinion, but it is weird, and I think it should be tried.

This thread's looking quiet, but I just finished watching all of Seto no Hanayome because of the recommendation I got here earlier, and I loved it. It took a bunch of eps (maybe up to ep 8?) before I got to adore it as opposed to just liking it. I don't know if it's that I got used to the series or if it's that it hit its stride. Maybe it was a bit of both? After a comedy series has built up its cast, that sometimes gives it more space. My favourite episode was probably ep 20, and San and Lunar's dads trying to relate to them by learning from dating sims slew me.

Anyway, now I've seen all of that series I'm back to not knowing what to watch next. Which of these should I go for?

DNAngel
Galaxy Express 999
G Gundam
Girlish Number
Gosick
Kaiba
Kimagure Orange Road
Nagi no Asukara
ReLife
Saint Tail
Scrapped Princess
Terra e
Toradora

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I'm up to episode 8 of Toradora now. I started off the series thinking it was OK but not really my sort of thing. The characters were on the annoying side, and it was a bit dull. I was still planning to watch it all the way through, though. But, luckily, the cast started growing on me, and I've begun finding it funny at times too. I've got to like Taiga and Kushieda. Kawashima has an interesting personality (and is irritating, but that's the point). Ryuuji is OK as a main character. The only thing is that Taiga has been so violent that I don't know why Ryuuji puts up with her. So, now I'm finding the series fun, and I hope it'll continue to improve. I was enjoying Ryuuji and Taiga's friendship, but at this point it seems fairly clear that Taiga's fallen or is in the process of falling for Ryuuji, so that's going to change eventually. But those two were obviously going to become a couple eventually anyway, and I like that they actually talk to each other, so it could be pretty cute anyway. Anyway, Ryuuji would be a great match for Taiga. He cooks, he cleans, he alters clothing, he doesn't get very angry!

I thought the series started showing good comedy potential at the point where we find out that Kitamura actually confessed to Taiga at an earlier time, only she wasn't into him then.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I finished watching all the way through Toradora, and in conclusion, that series just was not to my taste. It was quite watchable, I liked it in its light-hearted comedy moments, the characters did grow on me, and I liked the family drama aspects, but I plain did not care about the characters' romances, and the characters got really over-wrought on that topic. I wanted to watch it all the way through anyway, since I kept hearing about this series being popular or a modern classic or some such, so it was worthwhile to finally see what the fuss was about first hand.

AnoHito posted:

1. Gatchaman Crowds
2. Seto no Hanayome
3. Gunbuster
4. Non Non Biyori
5. Servant X Service

I'm going to get you to watch Seto no Hanayome because I got told to watch it by this thread before, and I loved it. Brilliant crack comedy.

Now I need a new show to watch! My list:

G Gundam
Kimagure Orange Road
Koko wa Greenwood
Nagi no Asukara
ReLife
Saint Tail
Scrapped Princess
Silent Mobius

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

Since I've caught up with MHA and didn't like Concrete Revolutio, here's my new list:

Prison School
Vision of Escaflowne
Iron Blood Orphans (I've already watched several episodes, but stopped for a long time)
Hibike! Euphonium season 2
Joke option: One Piece (I'm at episode 94 but stopped watching for a couple months now)

I'm going to say you should watch The Vision of Escaflowne because it's a good classic fantasy/mecha series with a great soundtrack. It's definitely worth at least trying.

Reporting back on Scrapped Princess: I liked it! I watched the whole thing. It's not a series which is going to be among my favourites, but it was solidly made and reliable. It provided travel-style adventure, reasonably interesting and likeable characters, some morally grey decisions, a decent eventual plot explanation, and some surprises. Pacifica was a good lead character, because although she was a nice girl, she was still argumentative, a bit spoilt, and a bit bratty. The series would have sucked if she'd been a total saint.

My new list:

Gosick
Kimagure Orange Road
Koko wa Greenwood
ReLife
Saint Tail
Silent Mobius
Terra e

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I hope Escaflowne goes well! Can't guarantee it'll be to your taste, but it's not a bad series.

I've seen Hitsugi no Chaika, and your guess is right, I like that series a lot. So it's by the same author! Now you mention it, I can see some similarities. ...Three main characters, two girls and one guy. One of them's a princess being protected by and traveling with the other two...and the guy makes a contract with a cute dragon who can't forget her former master, and at some point the princess gets amnesia... Welp.

I'm planning to try a bunch of lesser-known or older series sooner or later. :) Don't want to miss out on potentially good things.

I tried an episode of Gosick once years ago, and didn't watch further, but I've heard some people saying it's great, and given that it's not unusual for it to take me three or so eps to get to like something, I hope it could be worth a second go. But if the series keeps on with bad mysteries, that'll be a real shame. I am a mystery fan.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I finished watching ReLife a few days ago, and I'm ambivalent about it. It was a decent watch and a well-made show, and the characters are well-written too. It was good to have an adult protagonist, even if per the series premise he was having to pretend to be a high-school student, and I liked that him being an adult wasn't just window dressing for his characterisation. I watched it pretty quickly, since I was curious about how it would all turn out. The ending theme playing a different older tune every time was a good choice. And it's rare that you see a series which covers the effects of toxic workplace cultures and their effects on people like this, so I've got to hand it to them for that.

For downsides, one is that the anime ends up heavily relying on one specific character to generate drama. From reading around a bit I know she was disliked by some people because of that, but I quite liked her, it's just that the storytelling was leaning a lot on her as a crutch. Another thing is the pacing. It seemed fine while I was watching it, but when I got to the last ep, it didn't have the feeling of a conclusion or a good stopping point. That's natural enough given that it turns out it's just a partial adaptation of an ongoing series, but it does change the way I see the earlier eps.

I was curious enough to go and read the webcomic, and I was impressed by the art. But, having read up to date in that, I think I just don't find this series satisfying. It's not a bad series by any means, it's that I don't find it interesting or funny enough for it to hold my attention while it continues on with a slow pace.

I had been going to ask for another series, but I think I'll go and re-watch season 1 of Uchouten Kazoku first, since I've forgotten some of what happened there.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Agronox posted:

I admit there are some pretty slow arcs, like volleyball in the anime and Ogha's brother in the manga, but I still really enjoyed ReLife. The show has a certain kindheartedness to it that I found endearing, and on a more personal note I was basically Hishiro when I entered the workforce, so how that worked out for her had particular significance.

The characters in ReLife are well-written, really. Hishiro stood out a lot, and she was my favourite character. Most series don't go into that kind of depth about people's interaction styles. So, I don't want to give the impression that I think ReLife is a bad series, since it's good, it's just that it didn't match up to what I wanted from it in terms of pacing and length. That said, I've heard that there's going to be a further 4-episode anime adaptation of the series coming out next year, which is supposed to be covering the "final chapter" of it, so I'll probably want to watch that. Hopefully that means it's going to adapt the end of the series.

Knorth posted:

House of Five Leaves
Nadia The Secret of Blue Water
Princess Jellyfish
Honey & Clover
Little Women 2: Jo's Boys

You should watch Princess Jellyfish because aside from one annoying plot thread it's fun and it's got a great cast (plus a great opening sequence). I should really catch up on the manga for that myself.

I haven't seen most of the other ones on your list, but House of Five Leaves is also very good.

My current list:

El Hazard: The Magnificent World (OVA)
Kimagure Orange Road
Koko wa Greenwood (OVA)
Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Mobile Police Patlabor (OVA)
Kaitou Saint Tail
Silent Möbius
Terra e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Glad to hear that Princess Jellyfish worked out for you, Knorth!

Roth posted:

- Yuyu Hakusho
- Cutey Honey
- The Irresponsible Captain Tylor
- Cardcaptor Sakura
- Outlaw Star

It's tough to choose between all those good options, but I'll say you should try Outlaw Star. It's been some time since I watched that one, but it's fun.

Re the El-Hazard OVAs which I was watching, I've finished them now, and I liked them a lot. The opening theme was great and the cast was lively. It's also good to finally be able to put some of the characters' names in context, because El-Hazard's a series which used to crop up in the blurbs for multi-series crossover fanfics a lot, and I had very little idea what the characters were actually like. I've got to say, Jinnai's laughter was great, and I hope his voice actor was enjoying himself rather than getting a terrible sore throat.

I was pleased to find out that the initially somewhat-boring lead character got stuck in drag and impersonating a princess for much of the series rather than just waffling around, and it turned out that he was an endearing character anyway. It was fun adventure story. And I was amused to find out that the real Fatora was a total snobby jerk to the extent that even her own talking cat wanted to abandon her.

The ending was quite sweet. All aboard the good ship Makoto/Ifurita.
After liking the OVAs so much I'd be tempted to watch the TV series version, but I've heard multiple people say that isn't so good.

So here's my updated list:

Kaitou Saint Tail
Kimagure Orange Road
Koko wa Greenwood (OVA)
Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Mobile Police Patlabor (OVA)
Nagi no Asukara
Silent Möbius
Terra e
Video Girl Ai (OVA)

• Locked thread