Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Spice and Wolf for sure. My aching bank account demands I support it with my heart as well.

As for myself:

Fate/Stay Night (UBW)
Kekkai Sensen
Gintama
Initial D
The Rose of Versailles

Yeah it's a bit of an eclectic mix.

e: Whoops got jumped in on. Symphogear then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Watched the first five of The Rose of Versailles. Definitely going to keep watching this. I don't know how I'd sell this to someone else, but I'm very much enjoying all of this. As something of a historical buff and someone who enjoys a good gender role destruction, this does me good.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Droyer posted:

Patlabor is my favorite anime so do that one.

There's a bunch of stuff i've been halfheartedly intending on starting so pick one for me:

Majestic Prince
FMP Fumoffu
Magic of Stella
Re: Cutie Honey
Durarara after season 1 (which i have seen)

Revenge hit since I'm still watching Conrevo at your insistence (it's good) and need to pick something after I'm done with that anyway

Durarara is real good and gets better as I told you

Fate/Stay Night (UBW)
Love Live
Space Patrol Luluco
Steins;Gate (the dub tho)
Cute High Earth Defense Club Love (season 2)

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Davincie posted:

if you haven't seen it, theres an ova followup to seto no hanayome too

poo poo what? First I heard of that. Need to get on that.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I've watched the first 6 episodes of Cute High s2 now and I'm really enjoying it. It's very much a junk food show that I would have trouble recommending to others, but it's a lot of fun to just chill out and watch some. I'm watching it with someone else though so I'm going to need another show to watch solo now that I'm caught up on Venture Bros again.

Stanfield posted:

Watched some Patlabor, thought it was pretty good. I don't feel the need to immediately binge the rest but I'll probably go back to it at some point.

I've only seen two of these so I'm gonna give you Flip Flappers cause why not?

Here's my list:

Ghost In the Shell
Cowboy Bebop
Paranoia Agent
Some sort of Gundam I guess, whichever's a good first one
Haruhi

That's all really good stuff, but I'm gonna go with the most obvious one and say Cowboy Bebop. It gets maybe a bit overhyped but there's a reason so many people love it, so at least give it a shot.

Fate/Stay Night (Unlimited Blade Works)
Kuromukuro
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Love Live
Space Patrol Luluco

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
yeah i'm gonna watch this dub i'm sure it's quality

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Mentat Radnor posted:

I finally got around to watching The Tatami Galaxy. I marathon'd it with a friend and what a great trip that was.

I got some pretty severe Endless Eight flashbacks at first, but this show handles the repetition of a timeline so drat well that I pretty much had a smile on my face for four and a half hours straight. The way everything comes together at the end is wonderful, like one of those really long jokes that keeps adding parts until it builds to a punchline. The trippy animation style is great; it helps the entire work feel very dreamlike in addition to just being pretty as hell. Besides the awesome smaller characters, I like Ozu the best. He's set up to be a villian more and more throughout, until the protagonist finally realizes that he's actually been the bestest of bros all along.

Yuasa is a genius, I loved it.

Edit - dammit AnoHito!

I love that show and I am super excited for the new Yuasa stuff coming out this season.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
That's it for Utena, a show I really should have watched way sooner. I'm completely in love with it and will be gushing about this show forever probably. And yes, I watched the movie too.

ViggyNash posted:

I got super bored today and ended up doing so before you posted, so I guess I'll put up another as my "what to catch up on next" list.

As for the previous poster, check out Ghost in the Shell: SAC. One of my absolute all time favorite shows. That said, Baccano is too, but with only one choice I say SAC.

Prison School
Gatchaman Crowds Insight
My Hero Academia
Concrete Revolutio
Iron Blood Orphans (I've already watched several episodes, but stopped for a long time)

edit: I ended up blitzing through Mob Psycho 100. It's definitely not OPM, but it never was to begin with. It has its own focus and sense of style, and sells it beautifully. Where this season ends is about where I stopped the manga, so I'm definitely hyped for a second season where I don't know what's coming.

Also can I just say that Reigen is the best? He's the best. He's also better in motion.

Gonna have to pass the buck with Concrete Revolutio because it's very good.

Fate/Stay Night (Unlimited Blade Works)
Kuromukuro
Love Live
Space Patrol Luluco
Steins;Gate [dubbed]

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Raxivace posted:

FWIW the Steins;Gate dub is generally pretty good and I like that dub team's interpretations of the characters.

There's a single reference in the dub script that they change in a way I don't think quite works but overall I think its solid.

yeah, learning the dub is actually pretty drat good is why the show ended up on my backlog again since it's already one of my favorite anime anyways.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
UBW surpassed my (admittedly kinda low) expectations. I'm still not interested in committing to playing the vn or watching any of the other spin-off stuff, but after this and Zero I think I've turned around on Fate. I'm actually looking forward to Heaven's Feel now.

Van Dine posted:

I'm going to say you should watch The Vision of Escaflowne because it's a good classic fantasy/mecha series with a great soundtrack. It's definitely worth at least trying.

Reporting back on Scrapped Princess: I liked it! I watched the whole thing. It's not a series which is going to be among my favourites, but it was solidly made and reliable. It provided travel-style adventure, reasonably interesting and likeable characters, some morally grey decisions, a decent eventual plot explanation, and some surprises. Pacifica was a good lead character, because although she was a nice girl, she was still argumentative, a bit spoilt, and a bit bratty. The series would have sucked if she'd been a total saint.

My new list:

Gosick
Kimagure Orange Road
Koko wa Greenwood
ReLife
Saint Tail
Silent Mobius
Terra e

wow uh, i've only heard of one of those and i've not even seen it but i guess i'll pick it since i got no idea what any of the other options are. so go with ReLife i guess.

Shingeki no Bahamut
Love Live
Space Patrol Luluco
Steins;Gate [the dub]
Patlabor

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I've been watching anime very rapidly lately. I am now completely caught up on Shingeki no Bahamut and plan to watch the new episodes as they come out.

Hit me wth something new now, friends.

Mentat Radnor posted:

- Turn A Gundam
- Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
- Giant Robo
- The Super Dimension Fortress Macross (1982)
- Bodacious Space Pirates

You've got a pretty decent list of your own. But I have no hesitation when I say to watch Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket

alright let's go

- Love Live
- Space Patrol Luluco
- Steins;Gate (dub)
- Patlabor
- Initial D

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Mentat Radnor posted:

Cool, thanks for the pick. My friend and I trade off making each other watch shows on Tuesday evenings and he's putting on Gundam 0083 for me next week. I'll have to watch 0080 before then (tonight we are finishing Hyouka).

it's only 6 episodes so that shouldn't be too hard

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Raxivace posted:

This. Any friend that tries to trick you into watching 0083 outside of choice YouTube clips is no friend at all.

tbh i fell asleep watching 0083 so i don't even remember it being bad

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Steins;Gate has one of the better dubs I've heard, but there were a few situations where there was just no right answer. 2chan and engrish jokes just can't be translated without feeling weird and awkward. But I'm glad it gave me an excuse to watch the show again, because drat that's still a really loving great anime.

GorfZaplen posted:

El Hazard is a lot of fun, maybe skip the sequels though.

My list:
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Sakigake!! Otokojuku
ACCA
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju
Kimagure Orange Road

Can't deny my own avatar. Gotta say Utena

- Love Live
- Space Patrol Luluco
- Patlabor
- Initial D
- Chihayafuru

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Sorry, it turns out Initial D, despite being very good, is also very long. Maybe I'll finish it before the end of the year tho.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Finally finished Initial D. It was fantastic. Way better than I thought it would be. I loved it.

Hopefully I can kick some life back into this thread now.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Zeta Gundam
Zeta Gundam
Zeta Gundam
Zeta Gundam
Zeta Gundam

oh that's a tough one. I'm gonna have to go with Zeta Gundam, because it's really loving great.

Now it's time for my Netflix Anime round-up:

Kuromukuro
AJIN: Demi-Human
Silver Spoon
Gunslinger Girl
Tiger & Bunny
Your lie in April

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

dogsicle posted:

Netflix's Tiger and Bunny censored all the logos from the super suits, fwiw

oh noooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
So I failed to actually watch an anime through Netflix this time, but I would have missed out on Pepsi Gal if I had. Tiger & Bunny was really good. Still gotta watch The Rising sometime this week, but let's get another show in first.

Nina posted:

Watch Tiger & Bunny you nerd

Mononoke
Gankutsuou
Shinsekai Yori
Durarara
Yuki Yuna

I'm going to throw Durarara at you because I really like it and want to talk about it with you.

So time for another attempt at Netflix anime:

Kuromukuro
AJIN: Demi-Human
Silver Spoon
Gunslinger Girl
Your lie in April

• Locked thread