Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I haven't been watching nearly as much anime as I wish i was recently, and I'm probably not now, nor have I ever been, alone in that sentiment ever, so let's go ahead and change that.

Backlogs are awful, and yet somehow we all have like a hundred shows in them. So here's a thread dedicated to finally clearing the drat things out in a relatively fun way that the whole subforum can enjoy.

Rules
1. Post a list of shows you've been meaning to watch. You must have at least five per list.
2. Tell the last guy who posted a list what to watch.
3. You must watch at least 3 episodes of anything you're told to watch.
4. You must post in this thread what you thought of it. It doesn't have to be some kind of amazing essay, just some of your thoughts or what you liked or disliked.
5. Let's all have fun and watch some anime!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

So let's start this off then, shall we?

1. Turn A Gundam
2. Seto no Hanayome
3. Perfect Blue
4. Euphonium
5. Concrete Revolutio

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Relin posted:

am i doing this right

1. gothicmade
2. aoki uru
3. phantom blood movie
4. cencoroll 2
5. genocidal organ

So, uh, how's living in the future going for you?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Trip Report: Turn A Gundam episodes 1-3

So I tried watching this show a while ago, but then stopped a few episodes in for reasons I can't really seem to remember. I also didn't remember too much about the shoe other than something about moon people going into it.

So far the show's off to a pretty great start. I'm liking the sort of weird 1900's aristocratic society vs futuristic sci-fi people thing it seems to be setting up a lot. Loran is also playing the displaced moon person role pretty well, and I like how he's adapting pretty well to Earth. The battle should be really starting up in the next few episodes, so I'm pretty interested to keep watching and see if the pathetic Earthling scum are able to somehow pull off a victory against these arrogant moonman assholes.

All of this positivity having been said, I think I remember liking it up to this point before as well, only to start disliking it later for...whatever reason has escaped my mind. So here's to hoping the next few episodes will grip me a bit better this time around.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I seem to have dropped Turn-A Gundam for what are probably the same reasons I dropped it before. I really cannot stand Loran. He just comes off as so drat bland and indecisive, yet the show keeps trying to frame him as some sort of super-cool interesting badass, and it really doesn't do it for me. In fact, all of the characters seem boring and stupid in ways that are just obnoxious to me and ruin what seems like a plot that is at least somewhat interesting. I may go back to it at some point, but that point is not now.

Well, with that gone,

Brought To You By posted:

Here's my list.
  • Selector Infected Wixoss
  • DurararaX2
  • Serial Experiment Lain
  • Higurashi When they Cry
  • Wizard Barristers

DurararaX2 is the only one there that I've seen that I can in good conscience tell you to watch.

1. Gatchaman Crowds
2. Seto no Hanayome
3. Perfect Blue
4. Non Non Biyori
5. Servant X Service

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Just got around to watching Perfect Blue. Oh god that sure was something. The directing was some of the best I've seen in the medium, and there were a lot of things that connected together really well throughout the show like the drama she's acting in reflecting a lot of her own thoughts/her career path, and I particularly like that the ending was really well set up. I'm also glad that at the end of all that suffering, it managed to have a mostly happy ending :unsmith: After seeing this, Paranoia Agent, and Tokyo Godfathers, I'm starting to think Satoshi Kon might be really good.

Anyway,

Nina posted:

Hey you watch Utena

Penguindrum
Mushishi
Mononoke
Gankutsuou
Shinsekai Yori

If you're going to tell someone to watch Utena, you'd best be ready to watch Penguindrum

1. Gatchaman Crowds
2. Seto no Hanayome
3. Gunbuster
4. Non Non Biyori
5. Servant X Service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Nina posted:

Alas I couldn't really get into Penguindrum. While it has a lot of visual flair and I can tell it's the Utena director from some things I just don't really feel engaged with the characters or the concept. Maybe it's a slow burner of a show but after three eps I don't think I'll be finishing it for now.

Penguindrum really gets exponentially more insane as it goes on and a lot of the crazier things that happen later are set up in the first few episodes. The show also kind of tricks the viewer into assuming things are a lot more normal than they actually are early on. Pretty much if you found the part where Ringo turned out to be a crazy stalker to be at all interesting, you should really keep watching. The show goes to even further levels of madness than Utena.

• Locked thread