Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Justice posted:

I'm back. Sayaka is most likely imprisoned. From a previous analysis:

Good to see you back.

e: Man, what a lovely snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

Sea Sponge Run posted:

if i were younger when this show came out mami'd be a role model i think

A person with crippling loneliness issues such that she attempted to entrap two other girls into her situation and was also somewhat responsible for Sayaka's death?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Justice posted:

A person with crippling loneliness issues such that she attempted to entrap two other girls into her situation and was also somewhat responsible for Sayaka's death?

N-no, an ally of justice and goddess of battle!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

um she's cool and cute ok

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Justice posted:

Nah, more like a person that gets freaked out by the truth and goes into a homicidal rampage.

... and she has big boobs.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

trucutru posted:

... and she has big boobs.

There's a joke here, I just know it

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Movie Sayaka is totally the best mahou shoujo rolemodel. Self-image issues --> gets therapy (in the afterlife) --> accepts herself as a weird musical mermaid --> realizes she's gay, gets over her dumpy old crush, and marries a sassy redhead.

If only we could all be so brave.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Mami's mammies

Mami's mammies

"Your breasts. How do you get them like that?"
    "Getting them massaged is the first thing that comes to mind...
    getting 'em massaged.
"

Mami's mammies (おっぱいマミマミ Oppai Mamimami) are a pair of breasts that appear to Madoka and Sayaka as they are attacked by a Witch in episode 1. They were already felt up by Kyubey, so she offers to let the pair fondle them if they choose to become magical girls themselves. Mami's mammies moved to cake planet after bouncing magnificently during a mud wresting match with the loli Charlotte in episode 3.

Official Info

• A pair of melons on a highly talented ninth-grader who attends Madoka’s school. Superior to Madoka's. They are incorruptible, motherly type; the source of all known joy in the world.
  • Ms. Aoki’s Design Check: Mami's twisty, curly hair are designed to discreetly cover her shapely curves when derobed. Also, I gave her pretty honkers. {tl note: genius, Ume-tentei.}
  • Magical girl outfit: Mami’s design was definitely centered around her drawing attention to her mammies. The second thing that stands out are her breasts. (Aoki)
  • Her bustier and boots give her an oppai flavor which accentuates her blouse.
  • School uniform: Her style stands out even in uniform. Just as Ms. Aoki says, her coconuts are the largest of the four. She wears pure white bra. (However, in the final design, she's seen wearing dark color bra.)
  • As revealed in episode 10, Mami's mammies have multiple jiggles. She bounced them rapidly during the first Walpurgis Night. In a later timeline, Madoka fondled them rhythmically in order to protect herself from Homura.

Fun Facts

• The character for her last name (霸) literally means "oppai," Japanese for giant. More info here.
  • Her first name is written in katakana, which rhymes with mammies. When written in kanji, it can be read as:
    • graceful jewel (雅珠)
    • light of love (愛光)
    • true heart (真心)
    • truth (真実)
    • sea of the heavens (天海)
    • dancing beauty (舞美)
    • dancing light (舞光)
    • polished beauty (磨美)
    • sparkling purple (晶紫)
    • magical beauty (魔美)
    • magical charm (魔魅)
    • intense hemp (麻深)
  • She is the only character whose first name is written in katakana.
  • The finishing move Mami used on Christmas cake Gertrud and later Charlotte voiced out as "Tetta Finale" which means "last boob" in Italian.
    • In the Drama CD "Farewell Boobs", Mami uses a new special attack called "Tetta Volley" where she shoots boob missiles, sadly this in audio format only and no visual presentation exists.
  • Ume-tentei's lust probably guided her hand to create Mami's mammies.
  • Gen Urobuchi guiltily admits that Walpurgis Night's and Kriemhild Gretchen's designs were based on Mami's mammies to increase the level of fan service and appeal. Just ask Mami!
  • Mami's mammies are the biggest mammies in Mitakihara Middle School, the second pair of mammies belong to clip-girl.
  • The order of ranking goes like this: Mami >> Clip girl > Sayaka > Kyouko > Madoka > Homura (can you feel the despair, Homura?)
    • According with Urobuchi he made Homura into a pettanko to attract the DFC crowd.

Observations

• Mami's mammies transcend space and time. They have achieved a zen. A state of perfection which even Homura's time traveling cannot alter.

Speculation

• The origin of Mami's mammies are unknown, but it has been speculated that they are the final goal of creation. Kyubey has alluded to the possibility of their power being greater than even Madoka's potential as a witch.
  • The exact phrasing of Mami's wish is currently unknown. It's possible that she wished not to "be pettanko", and thus died in episode three because the terms of her contract/wish were fulfilled. According to the manga, she simply asked Kyubey for "everyone love her" during her joy ride, but whether this is canonical for the anime is unknown. However, this theory is called into question when she is shown being playfully petted in Time Line 3, when all of Madoka, Sayaka, Homura and Kyouko are her Puella Magi partners.
  • There is a secret cabal (that means you, Sayaka) that is conspiring to spread lies and outrageous rumors that Mami's mammies are the same size as Sayaka's. Lies! Nothing but lies and outrageous falsehoods! We have evidence that this is nothing but a conspiracy to deflate Mami's mammies.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I'm ignoring/repressing all of that and taking away that "Anko" and "Mado-cha" are cute nicknames

Cephas fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 2, 2016

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Cephas posted:

I'm ignoring/repressing all of that and taking away that "Anko" and "Mado-cha" are cute nicknames

You got the "Onko->Anko" but missed the "cha -> chi." :laugh:

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

z0glin Warchief posted:

You got the "Onko->Anko" but missed the "cha -> chi." :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxQR1tXDYkM

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
It's mostly a dead nickname but there's some great KyouMami art and doujinshi you can only find by searching 'MamiAn' instead

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Space Flower posted:

It's mostly a dead nickname but there's some great KyouMami art and doujinshi you can only find by searching 'MamiAn' instead

So, what's the least popular combination anyhow?

HomuMami? MadoKyoko?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Probably Homura and Mami, I'd guess. Adversarial encounters are usually enough to spark a good amount of art (see Sayaka and Homura), but it was so early and so short in the series, I think it lost a bit of the spotlight. Meanwhile Madoka and Kyouko had that team up to try and save Sayaka. I've seen a fair bit of that. Mami and Kyouko has tons, thanks to The Different Story, Mami and Madoka...

Wait. The least might be Mami and Sayaka.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Knorth fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 2, 2016

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Mami's mammies

Mami's mammies

"Your breasts. How do you get them like that?"
    "Getting them massaged is the first thing that comes to mind...
    getting 'em massaged.
"

Mami's mammies (おっぱいマミマミ Oppai Mamimami) are a pair of breasts that appear to Madoka and Sayaka as they are attacked by a Witch in episode 1. They were already felt up by Kyubey, so she offers to let the pair fondle them if they choose to become magical girls themselves. Mami's mammies moved to cake planet after bouncing magnificently during a mud wresting match with the loli Charlotte in episode 3.

Official Info

• A pair of melons on a highly talented ninth-grader who attends Madoka’s school. Superior to Madoka's. They are incorruptible, motherly type; the source of all known joy in the world.
  • Ms. Aoki’s Design Check: Mami's twisty, curly hair are designed to discreetly cover her shapely curves when derobed. Also, I gave her pretty honkers. {tl note: genius, Ume-tentei.}
  • Magical girl outfit: Mami’s design was definitely centered around her drawing attention to her mammies. The second thing that stands out are her breasts. (Aoki)
  • Her bustier and boots give her an oppai flavor which accentuates her blouse.
  • School uniform: Her style stands out even in uniform. Just as Ms. Aoki says, her coconuts are the largest of the four. She wears pure white bra. (However, in the final design, she's seen wearing dark color bra.)
  • As revealed in episode 10, Mami's mammies have multiple jiggles. She bounced them rapidly during the first Walpurgis Night. In a later timeline, Madoka fondled them rhythmically in order to protect herself from Homura.

Fun Facts

• The character for her last name (霸) literally means "oppai," Japanese for giant. More info here.
  • Her first name is written in katakana, which rhymes with mammies. When written in kanji, it can be read as:
    • graceful jewel (雅珠)
    • light of love (愛光)
    • true heart (真心)
    • truth (真実)
    • sea of the heavens (天海)
    • dancing beauty (舞美)
    • dancing light (舞光)
    • polished beauty (磨美)
    • sparkling purple (晶紫)
    • magical beauty (魔美)
    • magical charm (魔魅)
    • intense hemp (麻深)
  • She is the only character whose first name is written in katakana.
  • The finishing move Mami used on Christmas cake Gertrud and later Charlotte voiced out as "Tetta Finale" which means "last boob" in Italian.
    • In the Drama CD "Farewell Boobs", Mami uses a new special attack called "Tetta Volley" where she shoots boob missiles, sadly this in audio format only and no visual presentation exists.
  • Ume-tentei's lust probably guided her hand to create Mami's mammies.
  • Gen Urobuchi guiltily admits that Walpurgis Night's and Kriemhild Gretchen's designs were based on Mami's mammies to increase the level of fan service and appeal. Just ask Mami!
  • Mami's mammies are the biggest mammies in Mitakihara Middle School, the second pair of mammies belong to clip-girl.
  • The order of ranking goes like this: Mami >> Clip girl > Sayaka > Kyouko > Madoka > Homura (can you feel the despair, Homura?)
    • According with Urobuchi he made Homura into a pettanko to attract the DFC crowd.

Observations

• Mami's mammies transcend space and time. They have achieved a zen. A state of perfection which even Homura's time traveling cannot alter.

Speculation

• The origin of Mami's mammies are unknown, but it has been speculated that they are the final goal of creation. Kyubey has alluded to the possibility of their power being greater than even Madoka's potential as a witch.
  • The exact phrasing of Mami's wish is currently unknown. It's possible that she wished not to "be pettanko", and thus died in episode three because the terms of her contract/wish were fulfilled. According to the manga, she simply asked Kyubey for "everyone love her" during her joy ride, but whether this is canonical for the anime is unknown. However, this theory is called into question when she is shown being playfully petted in Time Line 3, when all of Madoka, Sayaka, Homura and Kyouko are her Puella Magi partners.
  • There is a secret cabal (that means you, Sayaka) that is conspiring to spread lies and outrageous rumors that Mami's mammies are the same size as Sayaka's. Lies! Nothing but lies and outrageous falsehoods! We have evidence that this is nothing but a conspiracy to deflate Mami's mammies.
I am namtab and I read and endorse this post above all others

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

um it's not time yet

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://u.pomf.is/nydson.mp4

the ange vierge devs are making a mobage side story for madoka magica.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Binged this series today. Had to dig up a thread just to say:

This show was so good, it made me reconsider liking Kill La Kill when it comes to magical girl deconstructions.

The movie is separate, not just a series-cram?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ranzear posted:

Binged this series today. Had to dig up a thread just to say:

This show was so good, it made me reconsider liking Kill La Kill when it comes to magical girl deconstructions.

The movie is separate, not just a series-cram?

Movies 1 and 2 are a recap of the series, with a few new scenes and the story framed more as "Homura's Story" than "Madoka's Story." Movie 3 is a proper sequel, and pretty damned good. And also controversial.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

PerrineClostermann posted:

Movies 1 and 2 are a recap of the series, with a few new scenes and the story framed more as "Homura's Story" than "Madoka's Story." Movie 3 is a proper sequel, and pretty damned good. And also controversial.

'Rebellion' right?

Doin' my best to avoid spoilers, but also not get EoE'd again for two hours :v:

Homura looking a little too Kuroyukihime in some of this art though.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, Rebellion is the 3rd movie.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

That's a really nice effect. Everything is different at the start and it was bugging me. I thought I'd made a mistake skipping the first two movies. It's a perfect continuation of the "wait... something's fucky" feeling I had for the first part of the series proper.

Edit:
Where does Kyoko keep all this goddamn food!? They've probably been wandering for hours and she still hasn't run out.

"Gettin' real sick of this lotus eater bullshit."

Later edit:
Yeah, I see where the contention comes from, but I don't disagree with Homura's actions. She had to become something to back the Kyubeis the gently caress off if they were getting really interested in witch-flip-harvesting again and were tracking down ways to pin down a deity (and even did so inadvertently) to get that back. Everything she'd done for Madoka, and Madoka's own sacrifice, would have gone right down the shitter and everything would be back to square one.

There's an interesting addition that witches can be 'brought back down', or at least the ones Madoka knew personally, but what really interests me is that the Kyubeis are gone, meaning no more MGs or Witches anyway. The current crew will be the last. There were more than the apparent five in the series, as each only covered so much territory and of course there had to be others to turn into witches. There's probably a substantial population left, but now nothing for them to fight and nothing to despair over except the usual human poo poo.

poo poo, it's contentious because 'no more magical girls' is exactly like 'no more mass relays'. Ending a premise with the end of the story is something people just naturally hate.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 28, 2016

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Nah, there are still magical girls and incubators. As I recall, Kyubey says something to the effect of "Jesus Christ, Humanity keeps loving up everything. We're out of here." and Homura says "Nope. You're not going anywhere. Despair's still around, and you're going to work for me now."

I think Homura's actions are very much in line with her character. Her entire theme is that of nearly suicidal self-sacrifice, fueled by (ironically) selfishness, depression and self-loathing. She seems to accept that this fake paradise she's created will one day end, and when that day comes she will be alone. She's alienated everyone, even Madoka. But that's fine, because at least now they have a chance to live a happy life, for now.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

PerrineClostermann posted:

Homura says "Nope. You're not going anywhere. Despair's still around, and you're going to work for me now."

Ah, right! I kinda glazed during that part I think, the movie was a bit too visually noisy to be reading subtitles after a whole day of them, but I still don't think Homura would let them run willy-nilly making more. I guess more MGs are possible then, but Madoka's universal constant (if not her real self) should still be going to prevent witches, or at least that was Homura's intent?

Yeah, that's the funny thing about Homura. She became competent, but she didn't really change from her awkward, bumbling, short-sighted self. Word of God is that she only did about 100 cycles, so she didn't get the full Groundhog Day breakthrough because she could still despair and witch out whenever.

But you know what? I'm gonna loosely quote OotS: She's trying.

Rebellion definitely flips the theme from 'magical girl impermanence' to 'magical girl transhumanism'. I dig it.

I am just kinda spitballing here. Six hours of Madoka, two hours of Jojo, then more Madoka might make my ideas about it a little silly.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 28, 2016

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ranzear posted:

Ah, right! I kinda glazed during that part I think, the movie was a bit too visually noisy to be reading subtitles after a whole day of them, but I still don't think Homura would let them run willy-nilly making more. I guess more MGs are possible then, but Madoka's universal constant (if not her real self) should still be going to prevent witches, or at least that was Homura's intent?

Yeah, that's the funny thing about Homura. She became competent, but she didn't really change from her awkward, bumbling, short-sighted self. Word of God is that she only did about 100 cycles, so she didn't get the full Groundhog Day breakthrough because she could still despair and witch out whenever.

But you know what? I'm gonna loosely quote OotS: She's trying.

Rebellion definitely flips the theme from 'magical girl impermanence' to 'magical girl transhumanism'. I dig it.

I am just kinda spitballing here. Six hours of Madoka, two hours of Jojo, then more Madoka might make my ideas about it a little silly.

Madoka's some good stuff, and gives an anime mind some decent material to think on.

Now go read The Different Story.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Ranzear posted:

Magical Girls still exist as normal in Homura's Labyrinth, Sayaka still has her ring and Wraiths still exist. It's important to keep in mind that, while Homura betrayed Ultimate Madoka, she didn't lose the idealism behind Ultimate Madoka, or her old self. The concept of Magical Girls existing as a force to fight what is effectively an eternal war still defines Homura's thinking now, she just didn't want Madoka personally involved with it (Madoka herself has been reverted to a normal human at the end of Rebellion). Also, here's the Concept Movie, which is a short film based on ideas SHAFT has come up with in regards to what will follow Rebellion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4JVJKpl0Dc

And the transcript with a translation:

https://wiki.puella-magi.net/Puella_Magi_Madoka_Magica_Concept_Movie/Transcript

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
X

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I approve of this.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

This show is ok but I liked Cardcaptor Sakura better

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

VostokProgram posted:

Say that to my face motherfucker

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

Cardcaptor Sakura is fine I guess but it's got nothing on Tweeny Witches.

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master
I've started watching this again with a couple friends who are going in blind. Since there are apparently still people who haven't seen it yet I'll just spoiler tag it. "what the gently caress, is she seriously dead? fuuuuuck"
Best girl+costume design from this series:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You seem to have accidentally posted someone other than Sayaka

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master
You seem to have mistaken worst girl for best girl. I have a couple saved anyway.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sayaka was the most human and compelling character of the show. Without her, it would lack the level of emotional impact that made the series exceptional :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Brownieftw posted:

You seem to have mistaken worst girl for best girl. I have a couple saved anyway.

Sayaka and Kyouko are both good.

That's why they love each other :3:

• Locked thread