Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Madoka was the last anime I actually watched and enjoyed.
I've been very frustrated, though, that even by the time I got to it, opinion online was moving from "it's the best thing ever" to "overrated" to "it's a ripoff of another anime" (So far: Lain, Evangelion, Kamen Rider Ryuki. And many people also say Kamen Rider Gaim is close enough to not watch Madoka)

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anyone irl to talk about it with. No one wants to see anything "depressing" anymore. Everyone, including people who don't really have any life problems, seems to say to me that they won't watch anything with a sad ending because life is hard enough. Before, when I had just seen the series and I was so in love with it that I was considering buying all the figures... I couldn't recommend an adult-audience anime show about teenage girls, after the other poo poo I had seen in the genre. So I haven't really been able to discuss it at all.

Still, I've tried to catch up, with limited time, on the things people accuse Madoka of being a ripoff of, in hopes one day of addressing that. Although I've just seen Ryuki and Gaim, which wasn't really that, and have only seen first quarter or so of evengelion. Maybe having a thread to actually talk about this could motivate me.

I'd like to say first, though, there was discussion of if Madoka's wish was the "best" wish. It probably wasn't. That's what I like about this series. No one is completely wrong or right. The ending is final but ambiguous, and you could argue forever about who was right or wrong without really reaching any particular conclusion. I really appreciate that.

The criticism I've heard a lot that the series is anti-magical-girl, a "deconstruction", sexist, gets really frustrating. Ironic, how at first people would say not to watch the series unless you had seen ALL of Sailor Moon or you might MISS A REFERENCE and that's the ENTIRE POINT OF THE SHOW back in the day. Nowadays the series is said to be about how girls should not have wishes. This is actually how people describe the series, that it's about punishing girls for agency, when Madoka's wish is the single greatest action anyone takes. Plus you're also sexist if you watched Madoka but won't watch pre-cure or other magical girl shows.
I mean, back when I first saw Madoka, I saw it as affirming of "feminine" values and magical girl stories, as all the more combative and masculine actions just lead to strife and perpetuation of the world's system, whereas Madoka's kindness actually took more strength and spirit than anyone else anyone did, and was the only thing that ended up changing the world for the better. So I guess it made me appreciate the genre a little more? And I don't think Gen actually meant anything against the genre with this story, despite it showing some darker aspects such as how stressful life as a child soldier would actually be.

Comparing Madoka to Ryuki: The premises are in fact similar. I feel Madoka is a stronger series, but both are worth watching. Ryuki has some good characters but the lines of good and evil are drawn far more strongly among the riders/magical girls - none of the magical girls are evil, one of the riders is a serial killer. In fact, the Magical girls are all pretty normal and realistic before becoming magic, whereas Ryuki has some pretty larger than life characters. And in Madoka, no one makes the magical girls fight each other or outright tells them to kill each other. They're manipulated and their survival pits them against each other. Shiro explicitly makes the riders fight.
And really, why would you say Ryuki is better when even among people who like the series, they pretty much agree that the ending is just plain bad?
The post about removing the guts and getting a similar skeleton was spot on here.

Comparing Madoka to Gaim: I could complain all day about Gaim, even though there were likable aspects. I do not understand how Gaim and Madoka came from the same writer. But I don't think anyone here cares about Gaim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I wanted to make a reply, and I'll be off forum for the next ten days, but I'm not articulate and don't have one exactly assembled.

The criticisms I mentioned are not mine, to make that clear. There what the buzz I've seen around the net, since Urobuchi is still in the news and people inevitably bring up the series. (Like Kamen Rider Gaim... which really disappointed me. I doubt anyone cares about Gaim, but I'll just mention the characters in it are so thin and inhuman I can't believe it's from the same writer as Madoka)
I also have not seen the concept movie trailer and the link earlier has gone missing. I'm mainly basing everything on the original series and less so Rebellion.

I disagree with justice's comments somewhat, but I don't really have time to fully address them since it's 1am. I'll try to at some point when I get back from the trip I'm about to take.

• Locked thread