Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Space Flower posted:

Anyone else with regrets about missing the goddess scale figs before, rejoice. Ume-tentei versions are coming.

Do they combine like Voltron? This is important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Namtab posted:

People can post whatever threads they want

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Why does she wear the mask?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I never thought I'd actually be interested in these :effort: posts, but here we are.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Paper Lion posted:

But hey, if pastels and wideface are what keep you horny, I won't kinkshame. Just as long as you're honest about it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I haven't been able to keep it up without a set of pentel oils since '06.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I really don't understand this whole playing up of Mami, and I don't like it. Not everyone needs to be a super special god/angel/demon.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
14 years old

e: does Madoka even have an age anymore? And how old is Homura, subjectively? She's been looping a month's worth of time, right?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Justice posted:

A person with crippling loneliness issues such that she attempted to entrap two other girls into her situation and was also somewhat responsible for Sayaka's death?

N-no, an ally of justice and goddess of battle!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

trucutru posted:

... and she has big boobs.

There's a joke here, I just know it

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Probably Homura and Mami, I'd guess. Adversarial encounters are usually enough to spark a good amount of art (see Sayaka and Homura), but it was so early and so short in the series, I think it lost a bit of the spotlight. Meanwhile Madoka and Kyouko had that team up to try and save Sayaka. I've seen a fair bit of that. Mami and Kyouko has tons, thanks to The Different Story, Mami and Madoka...

Wait. The least might be Mami and Sayaka.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ranzear posted:

Binged this series today. Had to dig up a thread just to say:

This show was so good, it made me reconsider liking Kill La Kill when it comes to magical girl deconstructions.

The movie is separate, not just a series-cram?

Movies 1 and 2 are a recap of the series, with a few new scenes and the story framed more as "Homura's Story" than "Madoka's Story." Movie 3 is a proper sequel, and pretty damned good. And also controversial.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, Rebellion is the 3rd movie.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Nah, there are still magical girls and incubators. As I recall, Kyubey says something to the effect of "Jesus Christ, Humanity keeps loving up everything. We're out of here." and Homura says "Nope. You're not going anywhere. Despair's still around, and you're going to work for me now."

I think Homura's actions are very much in line with her character. Her entire theme is that of nearly suicidal self-sacrifice, fueled by (ironically) selfishness, depression and self-loathing. She seems to accept that this fake paradise she's created will one day end, and when that day comes she will be alone. She's alienated everyone, even Madoka. But that's fine, because at least now they have a chance to live a happy life, for now.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ranzear posted:

Ah, right! I kinda glazed during that part I think, the movie was a bit too visually noisy to be reading subtitles after a whole day of them, but I still don't think Homura would let them run willy-nilly making more. I guess more MGs are possible then, but Madoka's universal constant (if not her real self) should still be going to prevent witches, or at least that was Homura's intent?

Yeah, that's the funny thing about Homura. She became competent, but she didn't really change from her awkward, bumbling, short-sighted self. Word of God is that she only did about 100 cycles, so she didn't get the full Groundhog Day breakthrough because she could still despair and witch out whenever.

But you know what? I'm gonna loosely quote OotS: She's trying.

Rebellion definitely flips the theme from 'magical girl impermanence' to 'magical girl transhumanism'. I dig it.

I am just kinda spitballing here. Six hours of Madoka, two hours of Jojo, then more Madoka might make my ideas about it a little silly.

Madoka's some good stuff, and gives an anime mind some decent material to think on.

Now go read The Different Story.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

VostokProgram posted:

This show is ok but I liked Cardcaptor Sakura better

Say that to my face motherfucker

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You seem to have accidentally posted someone other than Sayaka

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sayaka was the most human and compelling character of the show. Without her, it would lack the level of emotional impact that made the series exceptional :colbert:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the idea is that the wishes helped them do things they didn't know how to do at first. It's easier to create or recreate something once you have control of it. If a girl wished she could make fire, suddenly, you would have easy access to fire. Stuff like that.

also I never get tired of this dumb 4koma

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's like gravity potential energy. The deeper you can plunge, the more energy you've got stored in you :science:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Namtab posted:

Kyouko is actually the best girl. I'm an authority on the subject.

Literally the worst girl.

Other than bebe

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ranzear posted:

Four days later I realize 'Kyubey' is literally short for 'Incubator'.

Red oni is always best oni.

It's explicitly said in the series you know. "Kyubey...no, inkyubeytor"

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ytlaya posted:

Also when Madoka goes "Now grant my wish, Incubator!" in the last episode. I like the way that line is delivered for some reason.

I like everything in this series because I'm a Chuuni.

Homura and Sayaka are my favorites.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AlternateNu posted:

I'm pretty sure Sayaka (and Homura now, too, I guess) are special cases since they both experienced their witch form and then were (or already were) shunted outside the law of cycles. Be able to project your witch form probably isn't something other random Magical Girls can do.

You'd think so. I imagine it's like being able to accept yourself that does it, like a persona. In any case, though, there were a lot of girls who turned into witches in the original timeline and I don't see why Sayaka would be especially different from them

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Space Flower posted:

uh, Nagisa and her are from the law of cycles, physically speaking. Mami and Kyouko are the same girls they've been since the wraith world was created.

I'm talking about the girls who already died. Madoka didn't save anyone from death, just witchhood. So like... What's her name from episode one, the vomit rose witch. Obviously Mami and Kyouko haven't succumbed to despair yet, but every witch they fought was a girl similar to Sayaka.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

a cartoon duck posted:

Madoka would have been better if she was a fat lazy nerd like Sailor Moon

Ah, tumblr.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

a cartoon duck posted:

it's incredibly canon, actually

Referring to some of the more horrendous tumblr redraws to make x series more "inclusive."

That girl may be lazy, but she ain't fat, and she has no idea how to use technology.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I dunno man, everything I've seen doesn't show her as fat

As a goon, I think I know fat when I see it :colbert:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Do you accept Sayaka as the best character?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
She cements it in rebellion :colbert:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mill Village posted:

I do. It's so sad what happens to her.

Her story really sets and frames the narrative. And she was the most human.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Namtab posted:

not even once

:barf:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sayaka, no, resist!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

All of that author's doujins are amazing

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

the homusaya one that went up on dynasty the other day has inspired me to go through them. A+ decision so far

HomuSaya is also the best dynamic. More KyouSaya content needs to explore that style of angle too.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I love this series so much

It also has the best Homura

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Namtab posted:

What's the result?

http://imgur.com/a/FCtNG

Cool glasses homura