Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Binged this series today. Had to dig up a thread just to say:

This show was so good, it made me reconsider liking Kill La Kill when it comes to magical girl deconstructions.

The movie is separate, not just a series-cram?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

PerrineClostermann posted:

Movies 1 and 2 are a recap of the series, with a few new scenes and the story framed more as "Homura's Story" than "Madoka's Story." Movie 3 is a proper sequel, and pretty damned good. And also controversial.

'Rebellion' right?

Doin' my best to avoid spoilers, but also not get EoE'd again for two hours :v:

Homura looking a little too Kuroyukihime in some of this art though.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

That's a really nice effect. Everything is different at the start and it was bugging me. I thought I'd made a mistake skipping the first two movies. It's a perfect continuation of the "wait... something's fucky" feeling I had for the first part of the series proper.

Edit:
Where does Kyoko keep all this goddamn food!? They've probably been wandering for hours and she still hasn't run out.

"Gettin' real sick of this lotus eater bullshit."

Later edit:
Yeah, I see where the contention comes from, but I don't disagree with Homura's actions. She had to become something to back the Kyubeis the gently caress off if they were getting really interested in witch-flip-harvesting again and were tracking down ways to pin down a deity (and even did so inadvertently) to get that back. Everything she'd done for Madoka, and Madoka's own sacrifice, would have gone right down the shitter and everything would be back to square one.

There's an interesting addition that witches can be 'brought back down', or at least the ones Madoka knew personally, but what really interests me is that the Kyubeis are gone, meaning no more MGs or Witches anyway. The current crew will be the last. There were more than the apparent five in the series, as each only covered so much territory and of course there had to be others to turn into witches. There's probably a substantial population left, but now nothing for them to fight and nothing to despair over except the usual human poo poo.

poo poo, it's contentious because 'no more magical girls' is exactly like 'no more mass relays'. Ending a premise with the end of the story is something people just naturally hate.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 28, 2016

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

PerrineClostermann posted:

Homura says "Nope. You're not going anywhere. Despair's still around, and you're going to work for me now."

Ah, right! I kinda glazed during that part I think, the movie was a bit too visually noisy to be reading subtitles after a whole day of them, but I still don't think Homura would let them run willy-nilly making more. I guess more MGs are possible then, but Madoka's universal constant (if not her real self) should still be going to prevent witches, or at least that was Homura's intent?

Yeah, that's the funny thing about Homura. She became competent, but she didn't really change from her awkward, bumbling, short-sighted self. Word of God is that she only did about 100 cycles, so she didn't get the full Groundhog Day breakthrough because she could still despair and witch out whenever.

But you know what? I'm gonna loosely quote OotS: She's trying.

Rebellion definitely flips the theme from 'magical girl impermanence' to 'magical girl transhumanism'. I dig it.

I am just kinda spitballing here. Six hours of Madoka, two hours of Jojo, then more Madoka might make my ideas about it a little silly.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 28, 2016

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Lord Justice posted:

Karmic destiny seems to exist outside of the Magical Girl system, and the magical power of the girl making a wish is dependent on her role in history. But wait: if this is true, then wouldn't those women have already or are in a position to shape history? What role does Magic play here, if any? Their "karmic destiny" exists outside of that system, so, it would follow that their effect on history would happen regardless. If this is the case, then the "history lesson" begins to make more sense in a way. The Incubators are referencing influential women with high karmic destinies as changing the world (they did) but leaves out the role Magic actually played (most likely, it's not nearly as important as the Incubators are implying).

I think it's less about what they have and more about what they have to lose. The energy harvested comes from the net change from hope to despair, so losing one's entire kingdom, for instance, is one of the greater sources the Incubators could look for.

Madoka dreaming about rolled-back events probably means she's got all of Homura's efforts until that point to reflect on as a witch, even if she's not aware of it beforehand. How that feeds back into the available power of her wish I haven't pinned down yet.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Four days later I realize 'Kyubey' is literally short for 'Incubator'.

Red oni is always best oni.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Watched the Concept short, and then framed through it a bit to admire the art, and it kinda womboed with something Sayaka had going on in Rebellion and I really, really, hope it goes this direction:

Witch forms are now Stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Meanwhile on reddit's April 1st thing:

• Locked thread