Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Even if your plan is to use these recordings to put out longer more thought out songs, I think fantasy zone's point is that putting 20 of these little clips out as an "album" is a bit disingenuous. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but why would anyone want to take the time to listen to an "album" of tracks that you couldn't take the time to actually finish?

Even your link to the 53 minute album of more thought out songs is nothing more than the same guitar riff repeated with the same backing drum track for a few minutes. There is no movement in any of the songs, no intro, no chorus, no verse, no transitions. Like I can click any single point within the track and it sounds exactly the same.

Again, I am sorry if this is harsh but I think it's something you need to hear. You have a million ideas but haven't seemed to finish a single one and that needs to be your focus going forward or you will never do more than pump out 3 minute long loops of the same riff. You say you think you are on the right track but personally, I think you need to shift your approach. Now this is purely subjective and this may not be in line with your end-goal but it seems like you are really interested in putting your music out there for people to listen to and you are going to need to invest a lot more time for that to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
It was a bit unfair to call the album the same riff throughout. I listened to the songs again and I think the point I was trying to make is that even though the riffs switch up, there is no change or too subtle of a change in rhythm, tempo, or sound design to help your ears recognize the riff change.

I think your best bet would be to start learning how to structure a track in terms of intro, verse, chorus, verse, break, chorus, or whatever. Then you need to learn percussion rhythms that fit with your style that will work for each section. In between sections should be some type of fill or crash that helps bridge two percussion rhythms. In terms of your guitar playing, don't be afraid to leave some space for other elements or just for a break from the wall of sound. Try mixing lighter playing or muted playing to give it some more interesting dynamics. That should be enough to move you in the right direction.

• Locked thread