Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Another reason you're cut off from your original world if you don't bring a Linking Book with you - you can only write a Linking Book that links to your current location, as one of the novels made clear. The Descriptive Book acts as a link to a specific part of the Age, but then you have to travel to other places within the Age to create Linking Books to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Dr. Buttass posted:

I suppose in theory you could make another Descriptive Book if you strand yourself but that would be a Huge loving Pain.

If you had the foresight to bring enough materials to use the Art, why didn't you just bring a Linking Book?

I don't remember anything in any part of the series discussing the possibility of multiple Descriptive Books pointing to the same iteration of the same Age, but it seems like that wouldn't be possible, somehow. Didn't Gehn experiment with copying phrases from Descriptive Books and fail completely?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Surely if you copied the original book word for word, it would link to the same place as it would (in effect) just be an extremely verbose linking book? You'd then have problems if you wrote contradictory things in the two books though, I guess.

That, or a different iteration of the Age that's identical in every respect written in the Book, but still distinct.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Of all of the Myst games I've played, I think Riven feels least like a game, and the most like a world that happened to exist and then a game happened in it. Myst had pages hidden in individual worlds where the exits were hidden behind puzzles. Exile comes right out and tells you that its worlds are designed as tests. Revelation had prison worlds with exits created by the prisoners. Riven has a couple of puzzles that were designed as puzzles, but for the most part, it's all a matter of figuring out how the mechanisms already in the world work and how to use them to get around. Granted, the individual worlds in Myst worked that way as well, but the collection was the central conceit. One of the first things you probably do in that game is learn about the pages and what they're used for. So far, we've only seen one analogue to the collectible pages, the eye spheres, and we don't yet know what the purpose of them is or what to do with the information they give us. Likewise, Exile almost immediately tells you what to collect and what to do with it, and Revelation dumps a bunch of plot on you at the start and then tells you approximately how to proceed. There's not really much to "collect" in that one, but it's information gathering that leads to a specific endgame. We don't yet know much of that in Riven, and that's interesting to me. It was also a big source of frustration, since I could explore vast portions of the world, but without knowing what I was supposed to be doing, I had no idea which part of the world I was supposed to be searching in or what information I needed to gather. Of course, the thing that actually stumped me was embarrassingly simple, but that's true of every game I played back then.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Gehn has the most amazing books. Just the best books and ink. He's gonna use them to build a wall to keep the wharks out. That, or drain the lake.

• Locked thread