Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Riven has such great memories for me. As a kid, my dad and I were big into doing games like Myst, Riven, and Carmen Sandiego together. We even beat Riven together, albeit with the help of some walkthroughs for getting past some of the more... obtuse puzzles. Still, I can't help but smile as I read through this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Fedule posted:

One thing that all of these games have in common is that they all use their audio-diary-fuckery for flavour and not as a player gating mechanism, because that's the bullshit where you have to start justifying why someone would read out loud the combination to their stupid safe into a recorder and leave it lying around somewhere.

I'd say this is one of the keys here, so to speak. Audio/Text files like these should just be flavor for building the setting. In fact, I would argue that sometimes these things are necessary to establishing your setting, because you can't always do it via dropping it in other ways. Bioshock and Myst/Riven are good examples, and in general games where your PC isn't going to be interacting with other people a whole lot. This information should be accessible somehow. This is especially true the more fantastical the setting is.

I mean, it could be worse. Could be Kojima where the whole thing is explained in massive required infodumps.

But as far as games where I liked the audio/text log approach, surprisingly: Doom 3. You could keep playing while listening, and you could get rewarded for doing so by getting safe combinations, and nothing stops you from just looking up the combinations online/remembering them for future playthroughs.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Calculus Man posted:

Why were they learning the Art if they were (supposedly) unable to perform it?

M.c.P posted:

Its certainly an inconsistency, but its born out of a couple things:

1) The D'ni would say non-D'ni couldn't learn it whether it was true or not. They jealously guarded their power, and doubtless made this 'fact' a major facet of their teachings. When Gehn found that this wasn't quite true, he adapted.
2) Gehn is a man who will twist the old D'ni teachings to fit his needs in the moment. He told Atrus the Art was exclusive to them as the last living D'ni, perhaps to convince Atrus of his right to rule. He neglects to mention this to the Rivenese as he tries to teach them in the hope that one of them are his ticket off of Riven. But he remains a power hungry monster, so those who show talent are carefully micromanaged so they don't get too much power themselves.

Consistency is not a defining trait of megalomaniacs and dictators, sadly. Though it makes for an interesting character in Gehn's case.

• Locked thread